Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo in 2019 (speculation)

• 14-12-2018 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭

Thought with under 3 weeks left in the year we can have a good ol' wishlist, specualtion & rumour mongering thread to not clog up other discussion threads.

So far we have coming:
    dOOYFyu.jpg?1

So I imagine a Direct on the 10th or 17th of January with some more confirmed release dates: Yoshi for one, and been hints of both Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem launching early 2019/ before E3.

There is also a Fire Emblem Expo happening the start of May so either more info or a release date/window for Three Houses around then, maybe even a new 3DS game (continuing the Echoes system of remaking older titles?)

E3 is going to be centred around one game and thats Pokemon: full reveal with gameplay and systems info alongside new Pokemons being shown. Nov release date, as almost every Pokemon game has had.

Anyone else have any wishes or thoughts on how the next year will play out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think 2019 could be a potentially very good year for the Switch, certainly software diversity wise. Along with the exclusives there will be same date big 3rd party releases like Doom Eternal and Mortal Kombat 11. The Smash DLC will also have an impact throughout the year. There was some talk last week about a few developers pushing back their games until next year, some which had not yet been announced or leaked.

If Nintendo can solve the card size problem they have it would further benefit their year substantially. There's been murmurings of certain games getting pushed or stalled because of the expensive higher capacity cards, if Nintendo can solve this it would increase the software output even more. Call of Duty was one of those games possibly mentioned in this category. Metroid Prime Trilogy seems too strongly rumoured to not exist so. I would expect to see that. Similarly, the rumours of Starfox Racing seemed too heavy to not exist, or at least to have existed at some stage. Retro will need to show their hand at some stage.

Platinum are someone who supposedly have at least 1 game in development for Switch also, rumoured to be more than one. Their output is always fascinating to see. The talk about the rumoured 'Switch Pro' and/or a revision also throws in more potential questions. The January Direct will be interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They'll be previewing a new LoZ this coming year for sure.
    Also, maybe look to a new Starfox game, perhaps the racing one speculated about before but heralded by an enhanced version of StarFox Zero.

The new Doom title is incoming as well, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the likes of Fallout 4 finding it's way to the Switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Very excited about the exclusice Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I would hope that there is more of a buy in from the likes of EA and Codemasters, to match that of Ubi and Bethesda.

Also, Half Life and Portal 3 to be Switch exclusives....

edit: Just bring the Orange Box to the Switch, such an amazing compilation, also bring Left 4 Dead and it's sequel....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I think we might hear something about a New Switch. With MS and Sony set to announce their next gen systems in the coming year if the rumours are true, Nintendo will need to keep some kind of parity with them.

I hope they double down on the hardware for the next generation to close the gap slightly on the competition. They know people are interested in the concept at this stage. Achieving something like 1080p 60fps at medium graphics settings (which people tend to not consider) would be fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Inviere

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I think we might hear something about a New Switch. With MS and Sony set to announce their next gen systems in the coming year if the rumours are true, Nintendo will need to keep some kind of parity with them.

I’d be very surprised if that were the case. Nintendo’s development cycle isn’t synchronized with Sony or MS. The Switch isn’t even two years old. I’d say a hardware refresh is a certainty sooner rather than later (better battery, better screen, etc), but it’ll still be a Switch. The successor to the Switch won’t see light until 2022 or after if I were to guess, considerably later than the PS5/Xbox Two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah Nintendo dont care about matching the console power of PS/xbox, if they did, they would have done it with the switch.

They just need to keep doing what they're doing pretty much, the only critiques i have would be to stop being so stingey with their prices and to focus on pumping out more quality games, 2-3 great games a year isnt enough.. not for this old dog :pac::P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Can we please have snes games on the switch with the Nintendo online subscription. I've no interest in any of the nes library so I hope they wrap it up and move onto snes games next year.
    I can't see a lot baring remakes to come out next year that hasn't been announced.
    Get the feeling Metroid Prime 4 may slip to 2020 so the Prime Trilogy release may be legit as well as the Skyward Sword one being real.
    Interested to see what they have planned for Pokemon but I think Sun/Moon & X/Y were 2 of the poorest entries in the main series due to a lack of challenge & poor, bloated dialog.
    I considered Pearl/Diamond/Platinum & Black/White much stronger entries, in particular the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

I'm expecting a big big year in both games and console sales figures.

A year with a mainline pokemon game, animal crossing and a 2D mario game (i know its a port but they always sell well) is bound to be strong off the bat.

But couple that in with Luigi's mansion 3, Yoshi, Fire Emblem and "Town", and the first party line up is already really strong without any extra announcements!

I don't think we'll get Metroid Prime 4 but we will see it at some point, probably be released early 2020. Bayonetta I could see next year, its just a hunch but I think its on the way.

Now into the pure speculation; my guess is we get a mario sports title, maybe a mario strikers or baseball. I also think we could be looking at a new 2D Zelda and detective pikachu for the switch to tie in with the movie. I think it will be a huge pokemon year!

I also think we have not seen the last of the ports, windwaker hd, skyward sword hd and or twilight princess hd are all realistic in there own right but maybe not collectively together.

I do think we will get snes online games too.

Lastly on nintendo i can see some franchises getting reborn in some capacity, kid icarus, wario ware and f-zero could all be good solid titles.

Beyond nintendo i see a lot of 3rd party support. I think the companies have had enough time to realise the success of the switch and start developing for it. I'd be leaning towards the likes of square enix and capcom to really throw some support to the console, but equally the ubisoft and bethesda stuff shows that support could come from less traditional areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Another thing to consider is Nintendo hs been trying to have a major release each month since launch. Going by MP4 slipping to 2020, theres still only 12 games on that pic I posted, and 2 are arriving next month. So there might still be a big snap announcement coming sometime this year.

Also...what N franchises havent gotten a big release yet on Switch? Maybe not for a 2019 launch but the year after that; this year is pretty choc full of big names so could we be seeing the loop back round and new entries in franchises?
    -DK: Trop freeze is 5 years old next year after the WiiU version launch, ditto for Mario Kart 8 even though they both got Dx versions.
    -Botw will be 2 years old in only a few months (and if rumours are to be believed, was content complete the September beforehand and held back for the Switch launch so it will be almost 3 years old by the time E3 rolls around in 2019)
    -Retro Studios have meant to be making a N game since Trop Freeze released thats not Metroid Prime 4. Could it have been scrapped on WiiU to retool it for Switch?
    -Pikmin 4 has been mentioned numerous times the past few years, but still nothing of note. Now thats a game where the "open world" fad would work well....or the battle royale style :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement