Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importation of Goods

Options
  • 14-12-2018 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

I am importing a vending machine from Canada. The value is around €5k including shipment by air. Once the vending machine lands in Shannon what paperwork do I need to have in order before I get it to my doorstep? Does anyone perform this already and what are the costs associated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Was it an urgent delivery? Sea shipping would have been an awful lot cheaper and taken about 2 weeks.

All you need is your vat number, eori (usually same as vat number but you have to request it), invoice and also handy to have taric code.

Freight company can do the clearance. About €60-€80 fee.

Expect vat and possibly a small amount of duty though I think machines are 0%.

Assuming you are registered for vat, thus is reclaimable.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Danger Fourpence

Was it an urgent delivery? Sea shipping would have been an awful lot cheaper and taken about 2 weeks.

All you need is your vat number, eori (usually same as vat number but you have to request it), invoice and also handy to have taric code.

Freight company can do the clearance. About €60-€80 fee.

Expect vat and possibly a small amount of duty though I think machines are 0%.

Assuming you are registered for vat, thus is reclaimable.
    Thanks for the response. Very small start up so not VAT registered

The sea shipping was around €200 cheaper but was 4-5 weeks.

Do I need to contact anyone prior to the item arriving in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Its always advisable to get an irish agent to handle the whole thing and quote all fees and charges in advance.

Its been known for stuff to get loaded with charges if a foreign agent handles it.

What weight and size are we talking?

Only €200 difference does not sound correct, unless its small.

OK - probably located on the western side of Canada, so transport to port would be high enough.

It will need a power converter as Canadian voltage is different. Even then there may be issues.

Whatever airline is bringing it in will have a recommended agent or just google customs agents dublin and see what comes up.

It seems you did not think this through and I reckon it will cause you a lot of issues. Plenty of people here and in the UK with any type of vending machine you like and most with service contracts included

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Is it a € denominated machine?

Maybe its quite small like a counter top sweet machine. Just put in a coin and turn lever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

jasper100 wrote: »
    Its always advisable to get an irish agent to handle the whole thing and quote all fees and charges in advance.

Its been known for stuff to get loaded with charges if a foreign agent handles it.

What weight and size are we talking?

Only €200 difference does not sound correct, unless its small.

Good morning,

I would recommend to use an Irish agent to do the customs clearance. They will be able to confirm the amount of duty and VAT payable and sort out payment to Revenue. Do you have a Customs tariff number for the machine? If not either the agent can assist or failing that the customs classification unit in Nenagh.

They will also have an account with the airline handling companies and pay the charges levied by them.

Lastly they can arrange the delivery from Shannon to your address.

If you post the details or PM me I can assist you in getting sorted and confirm the various charges.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

BTW, I can recommend Rudolf289.

He doesn't know who I am, but I used him several times over the years when importing stuff.

Advertisement