Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house options

• 14-12-2018 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I moved into a new house and was going to purchase a satellite in order to get free to air from the UK.

But I stopped short on placing the order as I had a thought - surely there is a way to get what I want through the broadband - is there a way we can avail of freeview over IP here in Ireland??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I'm genuinely curious as to what advantages you see in getting FTA channels via broadband rather than Aerial or satellite? (beyond saving the hassle of installation and cabling)

The legal IPTV options pretty much are NowTV, Eir and Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I've been using iBox for the last 5 years, 10 euro a month. I watch it on the go with my iPhone and cast to Chromecast on the TV, got VM broadband. Around 60 channels and a handy last 7 day catchup. No Sky sports or Sky movies options but its a cheap solution, www.ibox.ie, free months trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi all,

I moved into a new house and was going to purchase a satellite in order to get free to air from the UK.

But I stopped short on placing the order as I had a thought - surely there is a way to get what I want through the broadband - is there a way we can avail of freeview over IP here in Ireland??

IMO a FTA sat system is far superior to any offering of TV channels via broadband.

You have choices on how much you might want to expand your system ..... multiroom; mobile devices can be used; recording multiple channels etc etc ..... and those can be added later if not an immediate requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

I'm genuinely curious as to what advantages you see in getting FTA channels via broadband rather than Aerial or satellite? (beyond saving the hassle of installation and cabling)

The legal IPTV options pretty much are NowTV, Eir and Vodafone.

Only advantage is saving the hassle of installation and cost of dish, cabling, splitters etc.

I've been using iBox for the last 5 years, 10 euro a month. I watch it on the go with my iPhone and cast to Chromecast on the TV, got VM broadband. Around 60 channels and a handy last 7 day catchup. No Sky sports or Sky movies options but its a cheap solution, www.ibox.ie, free months trial.

Thanks will check it out.

• Advertisement

IMO a FTA sat system is far superior to any offering of TV channels via broadband.

You have choices on how much you might want to expand your system ..... multiroom; mobile devices can be used; recording multiple channels etc etc ..... and those can be added later if not an immediate requirement.

Noted, thanks.

Advertisement