Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland is now only 82% Native Irish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Funny thing is I believe diversity was always preserved in a home country but hey a population of 4 odd million needs to be diluted down to a point where its origin is forgotten.

Amen brother. Was it you said in another thread town folk, country folk, village folk, farm workers etc etc, we're diverse enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Amen brother. Was it you said in another thread town folk, country folk, village folk, farm workers etc etc, we're diverse enough?

Wasn't me.

Wasn't me.

Regardless the point was made and well made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

I call bollix to this. Migration to this country has happened on a big scale in the last 15 to 20 years so the results this could not be proven yet.

Precedence has proven this internationally throughout history. Conversely incidence of sickle cell disease, for example, will decrease among the migrant groups that are the most susceptible to the disease as integration with "old Irish" happens. Do you think that Ireland or the Irish are the 1st example of such trends? Do you even know your genetic make up to see the tangible example of this in your own genetic code. What would have taken multiple generations for this trend to take effect in the past is simply happening within single generations due to the ever increasing social mobiity of the worlds population. The concept is pretty basic, Junior Cert science really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Grow up.
    I'm 39 but when I'm debating with somebody with a reading age of 8 I try and make it easier for them to understand my message by ladybirding things out.

I'm very considerate like that.

Wouldn't you agree?

• Advertisement

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Precedence has proven this internationally throughout history. Conversely incidence of sickle cell disease, for example, will decrease among the migrant groups that are the most susceptible to the disease as integration with "old Irish" happens. Do you think that Ireland or the Irish are the 1st example of such trends? Do you even know your genetic make up to see the tangible example of this in your own genetic code. What would have taken multiple generations for this trend to take effect in the past is simply happening within single generations due to the ever increasing social mobiity of the worlds population. The concept is pretty basic, Junior Cert science really.

thats no good if you cant get a hospital bed

40-50 years ago, even 30 we all lived here on this island. Our religion, language, music was what it was.

Some others want to engage in a demographic replacement exercise that will make that a thing of the past.

I like where I'm from and where I come from. I'm proud of my heritage. Famine, resistance and perseverance runs through my blood.

I've no interest in this globo homogeneous bullsh1t.

I await the typical (and at this stage boring) racist, xenophobe crap.
    Let me guess - I bet you mean the Jews.

It's always the Jews with you people.

Here, read this - it perfectly skewers attitudes like yours.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/11/anti-semitism-inherent-trumps-nativism/574672/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    with you people.

Language like that. It doesn't help your cause.

As I asked already "Celtic fan" is it a rainbow flag or Palestine flag display we're having tomorrow?

Cop on lad and make your mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I think we do need an injection of new people here but we should move relatively slow and try to avoid the problems other countries have faced.

Don't be bending over backwards for new comers, it is largely up to them to integrate into our ways and not the other way round.
    I agree with a merit based immigration system for people outside the EU. Take in people we need.
    No to anyone crossing the med in boats. Legal immigration only. No illegal economic migrants. Anyone proven to have lied about their nationality or age - out the door instantly.
    Commit a serious crime in Ireland - out the door.
    Anyone claiming asylums to be investigated properly and processed quickly and one appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    When Australia rolled out the welcome mat in the late 80s and early 90s the only requirement was money in the bank to support yourself. Under 25 got more points but a married couple around 30 years of age, her a hairdresser and him a truck driver were a shoe in. It was age they wanted more than anything. If you already had kids then it was a bonus. Skills they gave you over there.

Welcome to 2018.

Show up in Aus today looking for work without the credentials and you will quickly find yourself billed for the return flight.

emo72 wrote: »
    Language like that. It doesn't help your cause.

I used the words "you people" because those people who believe in such abhorrent anti-semitic bull**** are a serious danger to society.

There are a load of them here.

You don't help yourself when you stick up for anti-semites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Just think how much higher the % of Irish people we would have if so many of our people hadn't left to live in other countries and take advantages of the jobs and public spending in those countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Well I’ve spent some time reviewing the thread and the t
    - Irish people don’t really exist
    - sure those immigrants are better than us
    - Ireland is pale and stale etc
    - immigration is always good
    - if your talking about immigration you’re secretly racist
    - immigrants speak better Irish than us because again they’re better than us
    - yeh those anti terror barriers in Dublin are the result of an increased risk because of Islamic terrorism but sure we were terrorists one time.....so there
    - yeh Ireland has gone from 98% Irish to 82% Irish in just 20 years ..... so what
    - ghettoisation like in France Belgium Uk Italy will (for some reason) not happen here ( Blanchardstown)
    - Because we emigrated thoroughout the centuries means we have an obligation to mass immigration.
    - you have very little risk of being killed by terrorism so like what’s the problem, you racist
    - if we become a minority in Ireland in the future, so what and sure again we don’t exist anyway so like deal with it.
    - even though our infrastructure is bursting at the seams with not enough houses, ,schools, hospitals etc sure what does thousands and thousands of extra people coming into the country have to do with it.
    - putting asylum centers into tiny rural community’s is fine and only racists would complain about such a massive cultural shock

I could go on. I always knew the Irish had a bit of self loathing, it at times can be funny and disarming but this is just pathological.

As I asked already "Celtic fan" is it a rainbow flag or Palestine flag display we're having tomorrow?

You mention yourself as part of "we", so clearly you're in on whatever "display" is going on?

In your case, I'd imagine a swastika display would be more likely given your penchant for anti-semitic narratives beloved of Nazi sympathisers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

What pray tell is wrong with favouring gay rights? Also can you elaborate on the conspiracy for a "demographic change" ? So far you're reading like a far right conspiracy theorist...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

I used the words "you people" because those people who believe in such abhorrent anti-semitic bull**** are a serious danger to society.

I stick up for no one, and just observe.

Where did anyone say anything anti semitic?

I'm accusing you of being a bullsh1ting "Tim" (I am a Celtic supporter May I add) no one opened their mouths about Jews.

Your the one bringing Palestine flags to games every other week and gay rights flags to every other one.

You've pride marches in Tel Aviv.

You need a serious dose of education pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Billy86 wrote: »
    Well if you don't think foreign staff in hospitality hurts tourism then I guess we're in agreement.

Don't be so craven.

Why did you misrepresent what I had said ?

Habit ?

I'm 39 but when I'm debating with somebody with a reading age of 8 I try and make it easier for them to understand my message by ladybirding things out.

I'm very considerate like that.

Wouldn't you agree?

I think you're drunk.

• Advertisement

You mention yourself as part of "we", so clearly you're in on whatever "display" is going on?

In your case, I'd imagine a swastika display would be more likely given your penchant for anti-semitic narratives beloved of Nazi sympathisers.

I said nothing, and I mean nothing anti semitic. That's just you, talking out your arse.

When I say 'we' I mean Celtic supporters. Given your name is 'bhoy' or am I wrong?

I'm far from a nazi sympathiser. I lived in Israel for a while. And worked there. And made lots of good friends there. Shove your 'anti semite' bs where the sun don't shine.

Ill ask again. Tomorrow's green brigade display. Palestine flags (Muslim nation) or rainbow flags (pride parades in Tel Aviv)

The fact you need that spelled out for you tells me all I need to know to be honest.

Here, read this - it perfectly skewers attitudes like yours.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/11/anti-semitism-inherent-trumps-nativism/574672/
    Jews disproportionately support immigration because their history has led them to identify with outsiders—and people who demonize immigrants take notice.

Like the Palestinians ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

thats no good if you cant get a hospital bed

You seem to think that bed shortages is a relatively recent issue!? Do you think that the 1980's health system in this country, as a snapshot in history, had no issues with capacity and funding? I'm no super liberal that would look for for an open borders policy but distorting the reality of Ireland, its health service, access to housing et al suddenly developed these ssues after an influx of migrants over the last 15-20 years.

Are you one of these people that believed that the welfare state was purchasing things like cars for migrants back in the day. One of these 'my mates sister was told in the hairdressers that Joe Blog got a car, a house, fully furnished, sky tv installed all on the welfare and the HSE paid for a housekeeper all cause yer wan accused the CWO of being rascist and a cheque was cut then and there and handed over'?

Have a watch of this! Its not on hospital bed shortages but it certainly does still resonate today and there was hardly an immigrant in the whole country when the issue of a housing shortage and crises croppped up and does so every decade or so.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2018/1211/1016463-house-prices-out-of-control/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

We were conquered by Norman's and the Brits a long time ago.
    Now we've been conquered by the wasters from Eastern Europe.
    Don't get me wrong there are some lovely hard working Eastern Europeans but a sizeable percentage of what came to this country from there are criminals and wasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Akrasia wrote: »
    People won't pull him/her on it because it was a joke

Stop being so offended all the time. You're like a floating ice crystal or something

Black people are ugly and black, they need superior white genes..

You have no problem with that "joke" so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

40-50 years ago, even 30 we all lived here on this island. Our religion, language, music was what it was.
    Really? Would that be the Wolfe Tones, Rory Gallagher or the Pogues whose unmistakably Irish 'Fiesta'? Richard 'Aphex Twin' James was getting his start with acid house, Enya was whacking out the spiritual stuff and Sinead O'Connor was about a year off one of the biggest songs of the last 30 years; Philly mitt was less than two years gone.

How about Laura Izibors "Let the Sun Shine"... is there a difference there that makes it less "Irish" and if so what is it, exactly? How about the likes of Versatile or Republic of Loose?

In terms of religion, that means the people who were here before Catholicism and Protestant were not Irish in your book. What were they then?

You also mention language,which stretches back to 1800 as we are an English speaking nation. Do people from before then not count? What about the likes of Dealers, Beckett and Yeats? As French speakers how could they ever consider the selves Irish in any way?

Sorry but you'll need to be a lot more specific job all three of these... Right now you're doing exactly as I said and failing to define what you mean.
    Some others want to engage in a demographic replacement exercise that will make that a thing of the past.
    Which demographic, specifically?
    I like where I'm from and where I come from. I'm proud of my heritage. Famine, resistance and perseverance runs through my blood.
    I'm proud of mine too - it stretches all the way back to the Normans. Am I Irish enough? Is there a specific date your ancestors had to be here on, and when is it?
    I've no interest in this globo homogeneous bullsh1t.
    And I've no interest in ill defined, nonspecific, buzzwords happy nonsense, hence why asking above for you to be more specific on what exactly you mean.
    I await the typical (and at this stage boring) racist, xenophobe crap.
    Well you got the opposite, so put the victim card away just for now. Not only have I not done that, I'm giving you the chance to actually get into the specifics of what it is you mean. So have at it.

Alexander Solzhenitsyn knew something about a rotten ideology that tried to transform the culture of a nation, against the will of it's people...
    “In recent times it has been fashionable to talk of the levelling of nations, of the disappearance of different races in the melting-pot of contemporary civilisation. I do not agree with this opinion...the disappearance of nations would have impoverished us no less than if all men had become alike, with one personality and one face. Nations are the wealth of mankind, its collective personalities; the very least of them wears its own special colours and bears within itself a special facet of divine intention.”

- Nobel Lecture, 1970

Where did anyone say anything anti semitic?

I'm accusing you of being a bullsh1ting "Tim" (I am a Celtic supporter May I add) no one opened their mouths about Jews.

Your the one bringing Palestine flags to games every other week and gay rights flags to every other one.

You've pride marches in Tel Aviv.

You need a serious dose of education pal.
    It's because I am educated and know history that I can see your rant about "organised globalist replacement of native populations" as the blatantly anti-semitic hate speech it is.

Nice try with the codewords, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Tbh the native wasters and spongers far outnumber any imported ones especially when you realise that any ones who came from an EU country have to work for two years before get access to any social payments.

• Advertisement

Black people are ugly and black, they need superior white genes..

You have no problem with that "joke" so?

It isn't funny.

Also if you are going to live here speak the language we all speak.

It's because I am educated and know history that I can see your rant about "organised globalist replacement of native populations" as the blatantly anti-semitic hate speech it is.

Nice try with the codewords, though.

:D

Don't be so craven.

Why did you misrepresent what I had said ?

Habit ?
    OK so just give me a straight answer to help clear this up -do you or don't you feel the Irish tourist industry is dependent on having Irish workers to flourish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

vladmydad wrote: »
    Well I’ve spent some time reviewing the thread and the t
    - Irish people don’t really exist
    - sure those immigrants are better than us
    - Ireland is pale and stale etc
    - immigration is always good
    - if your talking about immigration you’re secretly racist
    - immigrants speak better Irish than us because again they’re better than us
    - yeh those anti terror barriers in Dublin are the result of an increased risk because of Islamic terrorism but sure we were terrorists one time.....so there
    - yeh Ireland has gone from 98% Irish to 82% Irish in just 20 years ..... so what
    - ghettoisation like in France Belgium Uk Italy will (for some reason) not happen here ( Blanchardstown)
    - Because we emigrated thoroughout the centuries means we have an obligation to mass immigration.
    - you have very little risk of being killed by terrorism so like what’s the problem, you racist
    - if we become a minority in Ireland in the future, so what and sure again we don’t exist anyway so like deal with it.
    - even though our infrastructure is bursting at the seams with not enough houses, ,schools, hospitals etc sure what does thousands and thousands of extra people coming into the country have to do with it.
    - putting asylum centers into tiny rural community’s is fine and only racists would complain about such a massive cultural shock

I could go on. I always knew the Irish had a bit of self loathing, it at times can be funny and disarming but this is just pathological.

An argument loved by the hard right / far right English Brexiteers. They don't seem too interested in the fact that such people move with the intention of working hard and are a boost to the host economy, not a drain on it (you'll find very few such people in a hospital bed for example).

OK so just give me a straight answer to help clear this up -do you or don't you feel the Irish tourist industry is dependent on having Irish workers to flourish?

First things first. Why did you very clearly misrepresent what I said ?

• Advertisement

Alexander Solzhenitsyn knew something about a rotten ideology that tried to transform the culture of a nation, against the will of it's people...

- Nobel Lecture, 1970

I'll presume you see the 1916 Rising as a manifestation of a rotten ideology, so.

That was against the will of the people of Ireland and tried to transform the culture of a nation, against the will of its people.

However the evolution of our culture in the last few decades has been very much with the support of the Irish people.

I think you are wrong on that one. That would only apply to an honest person. I see loads of them who are on welfare and never worked a day since they came here and probably not where they came from either.

It isn't funny.

My point exactly. It isn't funny, its hate speech.

:D
    Wow. A smiley. You really showed me with that reply.

batgoat wrote: »
    What pray tell is wrong with favouring gay rights? Also can you elaborate on the conspiracy for a "demographic change" ? So far you're reading like a far right conspiracy theorist...

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with favouring 'gay rights' it's a different discussion for a different thread.

Im saying you're a f*cking twat when you're carrying a rainbow flag around with you one week and a Palestine flag every other week.

I'll stand over that all day, every day, 365 days a year.

• Advertisement

coastwatch wrote: »
    It's a great development, we badly needed to add some "good lookin" genes to the irish gene pool, we were a bunch of pale and pasty freckle heads for far too long.

Hate speech

I'll presume you see the 1916 Rising as a manifestation of a rotten ideology, so.

A person who claims to be educated, and educated in history no less, would know not to 'presume' without evidence.

As a matter of fact, your whole output here is a dazzling display of lack of historical training, or respect for sources.

No, it just isn't funny. Full stop.

Humour can be both what you would call 'hate speech', and funny.

But in this case, it just isn't funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

It isn't funny.

Hate speech doesn’t exist only speech exists.

First things first. Why did you very clearly misrepresent what I said ?
    Apologies, I must have misread your post. So just to clarify then and get this whole mess out of the way, do you think non Irish workers in the hospitality sector are harmful to Irish tourism?

Apologies, I must have misread your post. So just to clarify then and get this whole mess out of the way, do you think non Irish workers in the hospitality sector are harmful to Irish tourism?

Define harmful.

Really? Would that be the Wolfe Tones, Rory Gallagher or the Pogues whose unmistakably Irish 'Fiesta'? Richard 'Aphex Twin' James was getting his start with acid house, Enya was whacking out the spiritual stuff and Sinead O'Connor was about a year off one of the biggest songs of the last 30 years; Philly mitt was less than two years gone.

How about Laura Izibors "Let the Sun Shine"... is there a difference there that makes it less "Irish" and if so what is it, exactly? How about the likes of Versatile or Republic of Loose?

In terms of religion, that means the people who were here before Catholicism and Protestant were not Irish in your book. What were they then?

You also mention language,which stretches back to 1800 as we are an English speaking nation. Do people from before then not count? What about the likes of Dealers, Beckett and Yeats? As French speakers how could they ever consider the selves Irish in any way?

Sorry but you'll need to be a lot more specific job all three of these... Right now you're doing exactly as I said and failing to define what you mean.

Which demographic, specifically?

I'm proud of mine too - it stretches all the way back to the Normans. Am I Irish enough? Is there a specific date your ancestors had to be here on, and when is it?

And I've no interest in ill defined, nonspecific, buzzwords happy nonsense, hence why asking above for you to be more specific on what exactly you mean.

Well you got the opposite, so put the victim card away just for now. Not only have I not done that, I'm giving you the chance to actually get into the specifics of what it is you mean. So have at it.

Wow. I guess we're all really foreigners so aren't we? Fcuk being Irish whatever that is.

Define harmful.

harm·ful
    /ˈhärmfəl/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective
    causing or likely to cause harm.

So do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

vladmydad wrote: »
    Hate speech doesn’t exist only speech exists.

See that is complete nonsense. Anti semitism, racism, homophobia all exist and engaging in it, can be hate speech. Untethered freedom of speech does not exist in Ireland and plenty of other nations. This is for good reason. Eg I don't think you should have the right to target individuals with hateful diatribes and I would view it as sickening, it can also get you prosecuted.

Although your above statement does a good job at highlighting what actual motivates you. You just lacked the guts to really say what you're thinking when you opened the thread. Bit sad really.

Wow. I guess we're all really foreigners so aren't we? Fcuk being Irish whatever that is.

Why can't you answer? It's awful predictable,as you don't appear to have a clue what you're on about, but you could at least try.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement