Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland is now only 82% Native Irish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Billy86 wrote: »
    Europe's top 6 tourist destinations:

- London
    - Paris
    - Amsterdam
    - Istanbul
    - Barcelona
    - Rome

I'd expect to hear more accents not from those places when at them, than I would in Dublin.

Nah. O'Connell St. is wonderfully cosmopolitan these days, dontchaknow ?

None of those places have the same USP that Ireland has, of the friendliness of the people. Fact is that when the Tiger was roaring, the hospitality sector sold people a pig in a poke, while coining it in on the backs of immigrant workers.
    Most of them are actually quite popular 'cautionary tales' from our local righties on AH about what might happen to Ireland if it keeps accepting immigration.

Of course I only lived there for 11 years, but I'd say parts of London and it's hinterland are indeed a cautionary tale of that sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

I take it you'll refuse medical assistance from the many foreign doctors or nurses if you need it as they are obviously the issue.

Reading his posts, I think it's clear he's already done that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    Reading his posts, I think it's clear he's already done that.

Unfortunate for him if it is a real emergency then. Every cloud has a silver lining....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Keep bring in the Spanish/French/Brazilian women :)

Unfortunate for him if it is a real emergency then. Every cloud has a silver lining....

Well done you for the rapid editing of your very shabby post.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Keep bring in the Spanish/French/Brazilian women :)

No can do. The government jet is reserved for the most extreme ISIS members only. Handpicked by a top civil servant I kid you not! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sure this thread is all about far right zealots who are looking for a revolution.

The far right are looking for revolution all over Europe and beyond.

What's your view on revolution?

I thought it was about demographics and that, if you're a zealot it's probably more of an opportunity to root out heresy

I'm generally agin revolutions, much like I'm agin posers in St Pauli t shirts trying to co-opt sports into their zealotry. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford's North Quays project will have a secret underground mosque.

Well done you for the rapid editing of your very shabby post.

I think some of my posts are too subtle for you. ;)

I think some of my posts are too subtle for you. ;)

That previous one wasn't.

;)

• Advertisement

That previous one wasn't.

;)

Less racism is a good thing for the world. Surely you'd agree. Less hate, less anger...unless you want to live in a state of perpetual rage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I take it you'll refuse medical assistance from the many foreign doctors or nurses if you need it as they are obviously the issue.

The usual nonsense being portrayed by the left. Oh put these people are all doctors and nurses when the fact of the matter is that maybe if or government offered a more attractive package employment we might manage to retain some more of our own you know the ones our tax money paid to train but instead are moving abroad in search of better pay and conditions while the HSE is crippled as a result of underfunding and lack of political will.

I also be wary of the medical qiualifications that some of these doctors have as I would imagine the training in third world for doctors is of a far lower standard than here in the West. I'm sure the African gangs terrorising North County at the moment, the ones involved in riots across Europe or the ones driving a truck into crowds are all qualified doctors.

I don't have a problem with migrants wanting to come here I have a problem with our governments allowing mass numbers of unvetted and undocumented migrants into our countries. I support an Australian style points systems which seeks highly qualified migrants to work where there are gaps in the economy.

None of those places have the same USP that Ireland has, of the friendliness of the people.
    To any non-Irish who might be reading this thread, Ireland's famous friendliness has certainly been demonstrated in spades.

Specifically to far right Polish football hooligans thinking of coming here to bash a few "lefty lib'rul" heads in.

Others, not so much.

Bambi wrote: »
    I thought it was about demographics and that, if you're a zealot it's probably more of an opportunity to root out heresy

I'm generally agin revolutions, much like I'm agin posers in St Pauli t shirts trying to co-opt sports into their zealotry. :)
    So you're not against all revolution?

What a hypocrite!

"Heresy"?

What are you on about, now?

This isn't a word salad thread.

Try and make at least some sense.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The usual nonsense being portrayed by the left. Oh put these people are all doctors and nurses when the fact of the matter is that maybe if or government offered a more attractive package employment we might manage to retain some more of our own you know the ones our tax money paid to train but instead are moving abroad in search of better pay and conditions while the HSE is crippled as a result of underfunding and lack of political will.

I also be wary of the medical qiualifications that some of these doctors have as I would imagine the training in third world for doctors is of a far lower standard than here in the West. I'm sure the African gangs terrorising North County at the moment, the ones involved in riots across Europe or the ones driving a truck into crowds are all qualified doctors.

I don't have a problem with migrants wanting to come here I have a problem with our governments allwoing mass numbers of unvetted and undocumented migrants into our countries. I support an Australian style points systems which seeks highly qualified migrants to work where there are gaps in the economy.

There are countless Irish that have passed though the education system and have emigrated. It is not limited to doctors and nurses. Surprisingly many of them just fancied living abroad and it had nothing to do with the pay here. Others are more home birds and choose to stay. Others wanted to travel and decided to stay abroad a little longer than initially intended.

You imagine a lot of things. It doesn't mean that you imagination is correct.

I think the every Irish person emigrating should be vetted by the countries they are entering..sure we have a long history of terrorism. However, it is not possible to vet every single person to the standard you would like. Even if the state hired loads more staff to do it...it is just not possible. Every now and again a bad egg will get through. It's not a problem unique to Ireland either.

I don't have a problem with migrants wanting to come here I have a problem with our governments allwoing mass numbers of unvetted and undocumented migrants into our countries. I support an Australian style points systems which seeks highly qualified migrants to work where there are gaps in the economy.
    So you have no problem with the current migration system in operation in Ireland.

Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Waterford's North Quays project will have a secret underground mosque.
    *Underwater mosque*

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp11eoi/cp11eoi/lfnmfl/

The unemployment rate for all recent immigrants was 20 per cent though there were large variations by nationality. Brazilians 30 per cent of those in the labour force were unemployed, while only 4.5 per cent of German national immigrants were in this category.
    Black Africans recorded the highest unemployment rate (36 per cent), and were four times more likely to be unemployed than White Irish individuals.
    https://www.esri.ie/news/ethnicity-and-nationality-in-the-irish-labour-market/

If you look at it economically then there are preferable nationalities i.e German versus Black African and Brazilian. This is whether or not they are working under the counter as that doesnt benefit us either.

It is not racist to point this out and it is not racist to have preferences based on facts. The other can of worms is the islamic element which is a security issue. I wouldnt like to see this kind of thing happening in Ireland:

...in Belgium there is enough to have started political parties, with aims for an islamic state, and they have election success. They literally sound like ISIS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Belgium#Islam_party

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108885912&postcount=504

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/specialreports/defence-forces-wages-so-low-they-are-told-not-to-have-children-870171.html
    The Irish Defence Forces is “broken” with wages so low that some soldiers are facing homelessness and being told not to have children

“Our families live in poverty. We suffer from food, income, fuel, and child poverty. Many of us can only dream of owning our home, and some this month are facing uncertainty about their homes, while others are facing homelessness. I personally know these people,” said Sarah Walshe of the Wives and Partners of the Defence Forces organisation.

https://www.thejournal.ie/defence-forces-protest-3349755-Apr2017/
    MEMBERS OF THE DEFENCE Forces have been forced to go to loan sharks as they struggle to make ends meet on their current wages.

Spouses, partners and other family members today protested outside army barracks all across the country to highlight their financial struggles as a result of recessionary pay cuts.

Just remember if the result of Brexit ends up being a United Ireland and that causes trouble in the North these are the people you are sending into harms way.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/naval-ship-cant-patrol-irish-13280721
    A naval ship cannot patrol Irish waters as there are not enough sailors to man it.

The boat, normally tasked with defending a stretch of water off the coast inside the so-called Irish box, is tied up at Haulbowline Naval Base in Co Cork .

A whistleblower said: “The lads are disgusted, they want to do their work but there is simply not enough sailors to take her to sea.

“The Naval Service is at crisis point with staffing levels because of the extreme austerity suffered by the service.

“There are also a lot of people leaving because of pay issues – it is a tough job but they have proven themselves at sea in the Mediterranean in recent years.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/sailors-in-the-navy-forced-to-bunk-on-ships-as-cant-afford-rent-424583.html
    Young sailors who can’t afford soaring rents are sleeping in cramped bunks onboard ships when they’re off-duty; while some soldiers who have to commute long distances to work are sleeping in cars to save money.

mmmm can nobody join the dots? We have a massive accommodation problem affecting even working people. We should be able to have quotas on the numbers or at least debate the numbers. The accommodation situation should be enough to say limit the numbers except in say construction and bring it back up after that if you want. But at no point do we need immigrants with an unemployment rate higher than the national rate otherwise it has a negative economic impact - and that is even before you start any debates on whether or not it has an impact on wages etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

greencap wrote: »
    If Parnell st will be a no-go area in a few years then nothing really will have changed. It always was a bit dodge.

It certainly won't be because of triads. :D

Ongar is Moldovan ....lol what in the absolute fuk? :confused: lolol.

Moldovan.
    Gas thing is, many of those areas listed are now A LOT safer than they used to be.

People are darker though, which scares some "types".

• Advertisement

engiweirdo wrote: »
    *Underwater mosque*
    Under the sea
    Under the sea
    There'll be no angry faces
    Just friendly crustaceans under the sea.....

Suir there will...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I think the every Irish person emigrating should be vetted by the countries they are entering..sure we have a long history of terrorism. However, it is not possible to vet every single person to the standard you would like. Even if the state hired loads more staff to do it...it is just not possible. Every now and again a bad egg will get through. It's not a problem unique to Ireland either.

If other countries want to vet Irish people going to live there then I have absolutely no issue in fact they are probably right to have a common sense immigration policy. The point of immigration should be to benefit the host country not the immigrants. Australia has a common sense immigration approach with a points system meaning immigrants must fill labour gaps in order to benefit the Australian economy.

Less racism is a good thing for the world. Surely you'd agree. Less hate, less anger...unless you want to live in a state of perpetual rage.

I surely do agree.

I am sure there are other things that drive people to anger and rage though.

Amongst them are - idiot politicians lying to people about the impact of immigration, idiot politicians foisting multi-culturalism on communities other than the ones they live in themselves, and common-or-garden idiots who throw the race charge out at any questioning of the cosy view.

Don't take my word for it. There are plenty members of a very signifiant immigrant group to Ireland who could tell you about the 'failed experiment'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

vladmydad wrote: »
    Don’t the people make the place ?
    I mean if I went to Japan in 40 years and saw (hypothetically) 50% Nigerian , am I in Japan anymore ?

But are they Nigerian because they are from Nigeria or because they are black?

I don't really get your argument, clearly if you went to japan - your in japan?

In the US, native americans make up i think 2% of the population (ignore the fact that the US President has never been native or that the current President want to build a wall to keep out foreigners).

also, Northern Ireland is about 60% British, thats a good thing and a bad thing depending on which community you ask.

Discussing what percentage of the country is "native" is nice but its distracting, when the question should be - Can we all live together peacefully.

To any non-Irish who might be reading this thread, Ireland's famous friendliness has certainly been demonstrated in spades.

Specifically to far right Polish football hooligans thinking of coming here to bash a few "lefty lib'rul" heads in.

Others, not so much.

Racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

vladmydad wrote:
    I know people keep mentioning the Normans, Vikings and the plantations but all of those either came with huge violence or ended up in violence, why would this recent influx be any different in the long run ?

Because we invited them here. Normans, vikings & the plantation were forced on us. Now we invite them in. In 1996 Bewleys advertised outside of Ireland for staff because they couldn't get Irish staff. For most of the last 22 years companies have been advertising outside of Ireland looking for staff. Many of these are Irish citizens now. The people who answered the Bewleys add in 1996 might now have Irish born adult children.

We have a pension ticking time bomb. The only thing to sort it out is to invite in foreign young people. We need these to pay our pension in 20 or 30 years time. Australia did the very same thing in the late 80s and early 90s because they had an aging population. If people don't want foreigners invited in then we need to start churning out the babies. We need to go back to 4 to 6 kids per family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

On a selfish note so I'd hope Irish culture stays the same but don't care if the people that practice that are first gen second gen or can trace there family to the high Kings. So no 10% 50% or what ever as long as it doesn't change the heart of it and we don't start acting like another country. Which if we think about it compared to are grand parents we prob act more amarican then they ever did. So maybe where just hypocrites no problem changing it for are self but don't want others changing it on us.

If other countries want to vet Irish people going to live there then I have absolutely no issue in fact they are probably right to have a common sense immigration policy. The point of immigration should be to benefit the host country not the immigrants. Australia has a common sense immigration approach with a points system meaning immigrants must fill labour gaps in order to benefit the Australian economy.

Yet they still let some of our finest through. Unless you do a North Korea an odd bad egg will get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

Drifter50 wrote: »
    What about all the ghettos that we have now due to all the immigration
    Gort..................Brazil
    Parnell Street........Chinatown
    Summerhill / Gardiner Street............Nigeria
    Ongar........Moldovan province
    Clanbrassil Street............Little Bangla Desh
    Longford..........Nigeria
    Balbriggan..........Nigeria
    South Circular Road.........take your pick Iraq/Iran/Islam general

In a few years they will be no go areas

On the face of it this is such a really odd post

Some of these places must be hundreds of miles away from you, it's highly likely you know very little about these places, let alone what will happen in there in the future.
    First of all I know some of those place and they ain't gettos, so you're straight up wrong.
    So why would you be going on about this?

It's just as odd and strange as some young guy from Tallagh banging on about rural isolation, even though he has nothing to do with rural Ireland. It just doen't happen

This really odd post has already been thanked and will probably receive more which makes it even more ODD. Of course many have become so accustomed to this kinda dishonesty you don't realise how far off the reservation you've wandered.

This is why I have brought up SKIN COLOR before! because it's the only thing that makes sense of this post and all the other posts like this.

No way in hell are you concerned about the gettoization of some random small villages around the country or in europe for that matter. It would be complete maddness to think you are!!
    You say you are because you're afraid to speak about your real concerns; THAT THE PEOPLE IN THOSE PLACES HAVE A DIFFERENT SKIN COLOR TO YOU.

That why I'm not all that concerned about you guys because you're just so weak, If you're afraid to voice your concerns anonymously here online what hope have you of doing something out there in the real world.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Because we invited them here. Normans, vikings & the plantation were forced on us. Now we invite them in. In 1996 Bewleys advertised outside of Ireland for staff because they couldn't get Irish staff. For most of the last 22 years companies have been advertising outside of Ireland looking for staff. Many of these are Irish citizens now. The people who answered the Bewleys add in 1996 might now have Irish born adult children.

We have a pension ticking time bomb. The only thing to sort it out is to invite in foreign young people. We need these to pay our pension in 20 or 30 years time. Australia did the very same thing in the late 80s and early 90s because they had an aging population. If people don't want foreigners invited in then we need to start churning out the babies. We need to go back to 4 to 6 kids per family

Agree with much of that, but the question is - how will we manage a large influx in the face of scarce resources ?

It's not like we have a great talent for making sure that everyone has a place to call a home. We fail miserably at it.

And that in spite of an economic model that saw many thousands of immigrant construction workers building housing estates all over the place in order to provide rental accomodation for... immigrant workers.

The question is about number and type of immigrant. It has nothing to do with skin colour or other predictable cheap shots. Bear in mind that when Merkel lost her marbles, the German Federal Minister for Labour and Social Affairs at the time, Andrea Nahles, admitted that less than 10% of the intake would be capable of work or training. Less than 10% !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It is a concern for a significant number of people. Plus large amounts of migration within 20 years into a country like Ireland, with no empire or history of foreign invasion, is especially worrying.

Really it's gotta be motivated by the desire to drive down wages, and fill up houses.

Its a concern for a narrow section of after hours who crawl out daily to ask a different subtle variant of the same poxy question in the hope that people might agree with them

I'd prefer if this specific narrow section of after hours spent that time reading a book , going for a walk or i don't know volunteering rather than starting nonsense xenophobic different boring threads on a daily basis to have the same narrow group of loopers thank them and their following posts.

Boring.

Yes so boring j decided to reply in it. But that was just to get yiz to do something more interesting ... As an idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Without the racist, xenophobic accusations and all that crap, does anyone have any concerns about just how rapidly the Irish people are decreasing in Ireland ?
    It’s a very recent phenomenon and given that immigration into Ireland is ever increasing and that the birth rates of the “new” Irish are dramatically higher than natives. It is inevitable that 82% will soon be 70% , 55%, 40% etc.

There is no debate in Irish media or politics about this and we have never voted on the issue. In fact it’s actually taboo. What are your thoughts?

We need to build the population up to at least 10M as soon as possible according to IBEC, lest the profit margins of their members fail to increase by a sufficient percentage year on year. Economies of scale and all that malarky you know ;)

Nah. O'Connell St. is wonderfully cosmopolitan these days, dontchaknow ?

None of those places have the same USP that Ireland has, of the friendliness of the people. Fact is that when the Tiger was roaring, the hospitality sector sold people a pig in a poke, while coining it in on the backs of immigrant workers.
    Honestly, people aren't typically here for the friendly service any more than in those other cities. Tourists = better tip chances = priority service, it's pretty much the same the world over (bar the US, simply because they fear Europeans not tipping). I've lived in a few different countries and never had the Irish hospitality sector mentioned once to me.
    Of course I only lived there for 11 years, but I'd say parts of London and it's hinterland are indeed a cautionary tale of that sort.
    And yet there they are, beating us in the tourism ranks, which runs contrary to what you were claiming. Foreign workers in hospitality don't lead to collapses in the industry, and claiming it does come over as clutching at straws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    We have a pension ticking time bomb. The only thing to sort it out is to invite in foreign young people. We need these to pay our pension in 20 or 30 years time.

This is a very tired lazy argument, and while may have been somewhat true maybe a few decades ago, not any longer is the case.

The age of automation is underway (upto 50% of all current jobs will be replaced by it by 2030). Aka the 4th industrial reveloution.

So unless you're importing the best and brightest (not just the youngest), but actual people will advanced degrees, fluency and at least few years experience (so aged 25+), all you will be doing is adding to the welfare heap, and the pension list after that.

Australia (as you mentioned) today knows this very well, and as such (today) has a rather specific points system for it's migrants, being foreign and young counts for very little.

Racist.

Another racist shouts "racist" at somebody.

How predictable.

The far right are a total joke, and believe me, you ain't left, you're far right, mate.

Yet they still let some of our finest through. Unless you do a North Korea an odd bad egg will get through.
    Ah, you shouldn't have encouraged the far right crackpots, they'll only take you seriously about North Korea and start seriously proposing we become like them.

Foreign workers in hospitality don't lead to collapses in the industry, and claiming it does come over as clutching at straws.

Where did I say that ?

Another racist shouts "racist" at somebody.

How predictable.

The far right are a total joke, and believe me, you ain't left, you're far right, mate.

Believe me, we're not mates.

I know - I was being deliberately sarcastic towards you.

Did you get that?

The chances of you having any mates are pretty slim, to be fair.

Where did I say that ?

Well if you don't think foreign staff in hospitality hurts tourism then I guess we're in agreement.

I know - I was being deliberately sarcastic towards you.

Did you get that?

The chances of you having any mates are pretty slim, to be fair.

Grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Water John wrote: »
    I'm only half Irish, one side of my family came here from France in the 1600s.

What a great point. I think I'll dye my hair blue and become a Liberal no borders twat because someone in my ancestry a few hundred years ago came here from Scotland. Kudos to you sir. You've changed my entire philosophy on the matter.

What a great point. I think I'll dye my hair blue and become a Liberal no borders twat because someone in my ancestry a few hundred years ago came here from Scotland. Kudos to you sir. You've changed my entire philosophy on the matter.
    Well according to some there is criteria that needs to be met, which they can never seem to define. With a few exceptions though, born in Ireland to resident parents = Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    We need to build the population up to at least 10M as soon as possible according to IBEC, lest the profit margins of their members fail to increase by a sufficient percentage year on year. Economies of scale and all that malarky you know ;)

Yep the environment needs more polluting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Without the racist, xenophobic accusations and all that crap, does anyone have any concerns about just how rapidly the Irish people are decreasing in Ireland ?
    It’s a very recent phenomenon and given that immigration into Ireland is ever increasing and that the birth rates of the “new” Irish are dramatically higher than natives. It is inevitable that 82% will soon be 70% , 55%, 40% etc.

There is no debate in Irish media or politics about this and we have never voted on the issue. In fact it’s actually taboo. What are your thoughts?

Ye know what else is decreasing, the the much higher rates of cystic fibrosis, haemochromatosis and phenylketonuria among other disseases particularly prevalent in the Irish population. Its not just social diversity that can contribute to a society but Genetic diversity also. Before people get all smart arsed about 'inbreeding' etc a simple consideration is that a small population and corresponding sized genetic pool leads to a higher incidence of banjaxed RNA cropping up. To maintain the health and wellbeing of the Irish people, additional diverse - as diverse as is possible - genetic material is ssential for us to thrive and carry on as a people. Societies evolve over time, diversifies over generations and it needs to happen for our species as a whole to survive, it is hotwired for us to seek genetic diversification. Genetic diversification doesnt mean the end of or even dilution a particular society as the many parts of what makes us a society continues to be passed on in the form of cultural eccentricities, traditions, language etc. Consider how genetically different, as just one facet of this type of discussion, that you are from the from the original settlers of this island 'Old Irish' if you like and you as 'New' Irish. A simple evolutionary process of any distinct group of people, sped up a tad by increased socially mobile communities.

I wouldn't be his mate either with his username and some of the crap he posts.

I was a fairly regular Celtic Park attendee but stopped because of the likes of him.

Do tell us, hillbhoy is next weeks display Palestine flags or rainbow rubbish? I missed the memo. All the while supporting a club founded by a Catholic fundamentalist and got off the ground by capitalists it's hard to keep track.

Maybe next weeks display will be something to do with the weed smoking bhoys or something?

Even the Australian system isnt perfect but its better than our 20% unemployment rate among migrants:
    The unemployment rate for recent migrants and temporary residents was 7.4%, compared with 5.4% for people born in Australia.
    http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/6250.0

Again emphasizing the experience in Ireland with unemployment rates of 36% among black africans and 30% among Brazilians there is a case for discriminatory migration -
    MIDDLE Eastern migrants are piling on to the dole queue — with a 33 per cent jobless rate during their first five years in Australia.

Migrants from the Middle East and North Africa are also three times more likely than European or Asian immigrants to be out of work in the first five years of settlement. And their 33 per cent jobless rate is six times higher than the national average.
    https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/careers/migrants-unemployment-rate-among-new-australians-doubles/news-story/8211ef023e576933198a9256248712ed

Whether the issue is down to third world people not being able to get a job in a modern advanced economy or whether its a language thing or something else I dont know. It doesnt matter either because the end result if welfare payments, added strain on taxpayers and a system that is already struggling with a lack of accommodation.

Links to the Irish stats:
    https://www.esri.ie/news/ethnicity-and-nationality-in-the-irish-labour-market/

The refugee angle doesnt work either as western money goes alot further in the third world than it does in Dublin.
    Plain and simple its a dick move to dump a load of people on top of us when we are struggling with basic things like accommodation.

Time to cut back on numbers and to be picky, discriminatory, on who we take and from where

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Ye know what else is decreasing, the the much higher rates of cystic fibrosis, haemochromatosis and phenylketonuria among other disseases particularly prevalent in the Irish population. Its not just social diversity that can contribute to a society but Genetic diversity also. Before people get all smart arsed about 'inbreeding' etc a simple consideration is that a small population and corresponding sized genetic pool leads to a higher incidence of banjaxed RNA cropping up. To maintain the health and wellbeing of the Irish people, additional diverse - as diverse as is possible - genetic material is ssential for us to thrive and carry on as a people. Societies evolve over time, diversifies over generations and it needs to happen for our species as a whole to survive, it is hotwired for us to seek genetic diversification. Genetic diversification doesnt mean the end of or even dilution a particular society as the many parts of what makes us a society continues to be passed on in the form of cultural eccentricities, traditions, language etc. Consider how genetically different, as just one facet of this type of discussion, that you are from the from the original settlers of this island 'Old Irish' if you like and you as 'New' Irish. A simple evolutionary process of any distinct group of people, sped up a tad by increased socially mobile communities.

I call bollix to this. Migration to this country has happened on a big scale in the last 15 to 20 years so the results this could not be proven yet.

Well according to some there is criteria that needs to be met, which they can never seem to define. With a few exceptions though, born in Ireland to resident parents = Irish.

40-50 years ago, even 30 we all lived here on this island. Our religion, language, music was what it was.

Some others want to engage in a demographic replacement exercise that will make that a thing of the past.

I like where I'm from and where I come from. I'm proud of my heritage. Famine, resistance and perseverance runs through my blood.

I've no interest in this globo homogeneous bullsh1t.

I await the typical (and at this stage boring) racist, xenophobe crap.

40-50 years ago, even 30 we all lived here on this island. Our religion, language, music was what it was.

Some others want to engage in a demographic replacement exercise that will make that a thing of the past.

I like where I'm from and where I come from. I'm proud of my heritage. Famine, resistance and perseverance runs through my blood.

I've no interest in this globo homogeneous bullsh1t.

I await the typical (and at this stage boring) racist, xenophobe crap.

Funny thing is I believe diversity was always preserved in a home country but hey a population of 4 odd million needs to be diluted down to a point where its origin is forgotten by countries where populations are massive in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Australia (as you mentioned) today knows this very well, and as such (today) has a rather specific points system for it's migrants, being foreign and young counts for very little.

When Australia rolled out the welcome mat in the late 80s and early 90s the only requirement was money in the bank to support yourself. Under 25 got more points but a married couple around 30 years of age, her a hairdresser and him a truck driver were a shoe in. It was age they wanted more than anything. If you already had kids then it was a bonus. Skills they gave you over there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement