Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will my student VISA debit card work in the USA?

Options
  • 15-12-2018 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Hi, so as the title suggests, I’m going to San Francisco on Wednesday. Therefore I’m wondering if my student visa debit card will work in America? Or if I need to do anything before I go?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Using a student visa debit myself

Worked fine for me in New York

Some places it didn't work, can be down to the type of terminal or carrier etc but 95% of the time it worked for me no issue.

I did do the travel notification before leaving but they don't do that anymore so keep the phone alert for texts / emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Using a student visa debit myself

Worked fine for me in New York

Some places it didn't work, can be down to the type of terminal or carrier etc but 95% of the time it worked for me no issue.

I did do the travel notification before leaving but they don't do that anymore so keep the phone alert for texts / emails.

That’s handy! Cheers for the info!

It’s purely so that I don’t have to go around with 1k in my pocket. I’d be using the ATM mostly to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

job seeker wrote: »
    That’s handy! Cheers for the info!

It’s purely so that I don’t have to go around with 1k in my pocket. I’d be using the ATM mostly to be honest!

I was the same myself

I brought about 300 cash with me from home in dollars and I struggled to spend it all because I was paying by card to go into attractions and in stores etc.

From what I remember, the fees and exchange are cheaper to do point of sale rather than use the ATM.

I remember there was a reason I did it that way myself, the ATM fees are a bit higher.

3.5% at the ATM min €3.17

Or just 2% point of sale with no minimum.

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/current-accounts/visa-debit/fees/

I was the same myself

I brought about 300 cash with me from home in dollars and I struggled to spend it all because I was paying by card to go into attractions and in stores etc.

From what I remember, the fees and exchange are cheaper to do point of sale rather than use the ATM.

I remember there was a reason I did it that way myself, the ATM fees are a bit higher.

3.5% at the ATM min €3.17

Or just 2% point of sale with no minimum.

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/current-accounts/visa-debit/fees/

cheers Kopparberg! That’s all very handy too know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Hi, so as the title suggests, I’m going to San Francisco on Wednesday. Therefore I’m wondering if my student visa debit card will work in America? Or if I need to do anything before I go?

Thanks.

Hi job seeker,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.
    I can confirm your card will work anywhere with the Visa sign. All we'd ask from you before you use the card abroad is that your correct phone number is registered on your account in case our card security team need to contact you for any reason.
    You can both and check and if needs be change this number through the "Amend my mobile phone number for security codes" section within the "Manage Accounts" tab of your 365 online profile.

Thanks again and hope you enjoy your trip.
    Darren.

• Advertisement

Hi job seeker,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.
    I can confirm your card will work anywhere with the Visa sign. All we'd ask from you before you use the card abroad is that your correct phone number is registered on your account in case our card security team need to contact you for any reason.
    You can both and check and if needs be change this number through the "Amend my mobile phone number for security codes" section within the "Manage Accounts" tab of your 365 online profile.

Thanks again and hope you enjoy your trip.
    Darren.

Perfect thanks for the info Darren! I’ll check that out! Thank you very much appreciated!

Hi again,

just in case; So I used my bank card for the first time tonight. Bought dinner and paid 238 dollars.. So how long will I have to wait before I can be sure that I’ll not be contacted by Bank of Ireland? As, I don’t want to miss the email or messenge..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Hi again,

just in case; So I used my bank card for the first time tonight. Bought dinner and paid 238 dollars.. So how long will I have to wait before I can be sure that I’ll not be contacted by Bank of Ireland? As, I don’t want to miss the email or messenge..

Hi Job Seeker,
    Thanks for getting back in touch with us here.

You should receive the message within a matter of minutes of the transaction being attempted if it was flagged by our card security team.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.  

Hi Job Seeker,
    Thanks for getting back in touch with us here.

You should receive the message within a matter of minutes of the transaction being attempted if it was flagged by our card security team.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.  

Perfect, nothing at all. No text/email. Happy new year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: John

Perfect, nothing at all. No text/email. Happy new year!

Happy New Year to you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement