Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais (debt owed)

Options
  • 15-12-2018 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I recently moved house to another council house at the start of November.
    When I moving in the gas for the house was assigned to Bord Gais, however when topping up the gas meter i noticed that when topping up by €20 it took €12 to pay off a debt (not mine, must have been previous tenant).
    When i looked again on the meter box it said there was €60+ owed on it.
    The debt is now down to €3 because I have had to top up so much, €140 to be precise. So for €140 I have put on the meter, I have only been able to use €56 of gas.

I was wondering, is there anyway to find out what was owed on the box before we moved in? Would Bord Gais be able to tell? so they an issue a refund?

So far they have really frustrating to deal with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Hey guys,

I recently moved house to another council house at the start of November.
    When I moving in the gas for the house was assigned to Bord Gais, however when topping up the gas meter i noticed that when topping up by €20 it took €12 to pay off a debt (not mine, must have been previous tenant).
    When i looked again on the meter box it said there was €60+ owed on it.
    The debt is now down to €3 because I have had to top up so much, €140 to be precise. So for €140 I have put on the meter, I have only been able to use €56 of gas.

I was wondering, is there anyway to find out what was owed on the box before we moved in? Would Bord Gais be able to tell? so they an issue a refund?

So far they have really frustrating to deal with.
    You'll need to send in your tenancy agreement and they'll be able to refund you the monies taken as debt since the start of it afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Did you take a meter reading when you moved in?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Gas top-up meters take 60% of the top up for any standing charges. I used to work in customer service for a company that provides these meters and while we were able to erase any debt on the meter that came from any unpaid bills (let's say somebody didn't pay their bill and agreed to have the meter installed instead of getting disconnected and their debt was added to the meter to be paid through 25% of each top-up), there was no way for us to remove the standing charges.

So people who would move to a house that was empty for a long time and there was a pay as you go meter there for gas actually had to pay for the standing charges and the gas provider can't do anything about it. It's very annoying and it was always very hard saying this to the people because obviously it wasn't their debt but there was nothing we could do for them. I got yelled at many times about this, and I don't blame the customers at all. These gas meters are evil.

I've had some customers asking the council for a refund though and they were successful (only some of them - I guess it depends on who you talk to), maybe you can try that, since it's a council house?

Good luck!

Advertisement