Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grant indoor boiler - no ignition

• 15-12-2018 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭

Hi, just looking for some advice on an indoor grant euroflame boiler. It's about 20 years old but has been serviced annually and has had numerous parts replaced over the years including a new burner about 8 years ago. Recently, the boiler refused to fire (motor running, with the ignition trying but not working). The photocell was replaced and it was ok again for a few days and then the same symptoms reappeared but with a slight smell of fumes (I have a carbon monoxide sensor in the area and the reading is fine). It ran fan with the air inlet pipe removed for a couple of hours then reverted to the same issue again, i.e. ignition trying and failing so I switched it off. Now it runs for a couple of seconds then cuts out altogether. Just wondering if replacing the burner altogether might be a sensible course of action? Oil tank is three quarters full and pretty sure there is no problem with the oil feed. I have somebody coming to look at it later. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

no need to replace burner

might be a control box issue

fuel pump might be slipping

blocked nozzle

may also be a faulty photocell but unusual if new one fitted

just reading back over your post running ok with the snorkel hose removed would suggest flugas recycling caused by worn seals in the flu but yours doesn't sound likely
    ???

you need somebody with the parts in the van who can diagnose and fix and then set up your boiler in a safe manner which will need to be done using a flugas analyser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Thanks a million for the suggestions - yes my engineer has a flugas analyser will mention the above to him as well just to cover all bases.

Darwin wrote: »
    Thanks a million for the suggestions - yes my engineer has a flugas analyser will mention the above to him as well just to cover all bases.

hope you get sorted asap bad time of year for no heating

Yes indeed, thanks have my warmest jumper on lol. Funny you should mention the photocell, he tried a brand new one at first and it was faulty. He had a second new one in the van and this one worked. Very strange!

Yes indeed, thanks have my warmest jumper on lol. Funny you should mention the photocell, he tried a brand new one at first and it was faulty. He had a second new one in the van and this one worked. Very strange!

it would be unusual but sometimes you can have a photocell and control box fault at the same time

have seen it a few times it can throw you off course

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Hi, just looking for some advice on an indoor grant euroflame boiler. It's about 20 years old but has been serviced annually and has had numerous parts replaced over the years including a new burner about 8 years ago. Recently, the boiler refused to fire (motor running, with the ignition trying but not working). The photocell was replaced and it was ok again for a few days and then the same symptoms reappeared but with a slight smell of fumes (I have a carbon monoxide sensor in the area and the reading is fine). It ran fan with the air inlet pipe removed for a couple of hours then reverted to the same issue again, i.e. ignition trying and failing so I switched it off. Now it runs for a couple of seconds then cuts out altogether. Just wondering if replacing the burner altogether might be a sensible course of action? Oil tank is three quarters full and pretty sure there is no problem with the oil feed. I have somebody coming to look at it later. Thanks in advance.
    No new burner required!, Did the guy who changed the photocell give you a flue gas analysis printout after the last service.If so could you post a picture of the readings?,sounds like the photocell is dirty.A service will probably sort with flue gas analysis

The engineer just left..I forgot to add he initially put in a used photocell to tie me over before installing the new one. Oil pressure was fine, seals were fine...it turns out the second new one is bad even though things worked for a short while. I suggested reverting to the used one that was working and all is good again. He told me that his supplier had a batch of new photocells from Grant returned that were faulty. Fingers crossed now it keeps going ok. Thanks again for the suggestions, the whole thing was a bit odd.

The engineer just left..I forgot to add he initially put in a used photocell to tie me over before installing the new one. Oil pressure was fine, seals were fine...it turns out the second new one is bad even though things worked for a short while. I suggested reverting to the used one that was working and all is good again. He told me that his supplier had a batch of new photocells from Grant returned that were faulty. Fingers crossed now it keeps going ok. Thanks again for the suggestions, the whole thing was a bit odd.

haven't come across any

Same here.

let us know if the issue raises its head again

have a feeling it might

• Advertisement

jimf wrote: »

have a feeling it might
    Why a negative opinion..

have a feeling it might

Will do

agusta wrote: »
    Why a negative opinion..

because I have become a negative person

must be the people I work with at times :P:P

because I have become a negative person

must be the people I work with at times :P:P
    You need to ask herself can you go out for a pint tonight...,beg if you have to:)

need to get my hair permed to look my best

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

need to get my hair permed to look my best

Just drop it into salon and collect it on way to pub :) 😂

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    Just drop it into salon and collect it on way to pub :) ��

:D:D:D

agusta did that but forgot to collect it :o:o

Nearly jimf bedtime,il think of you when im out:),

jesus that's frightening

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Yeah. Me too. Would take more than Deirdre to stand between me and my pint.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
Advertisement