Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body of a newborn found on Balbriggan beach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Tragic. My heart goes out to those involved. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I don't live a million miles away, and have a newborn baby. I've been particularly affected by this story as a result.

I will never understand why the women leave the babies in places like this. Why can't they leave them somewhere where they may get discovered and be kept alive? You could leave that baby on the doorstep of almost any household in the country and it would be cared for. Oh how I wish she had left the baby on my doorstep instead.

So so tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It's awful to think of a woman delivering a baby in such circumstances that she feels her only option is to abandon it. We don't know the background and if it even was the mother who left it or if the child was even alive. I'm sure she is terrified

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Whatever about her circumstances - I hope she's found and prosecuted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

T-Maxx wrote: »

Have some hearth. This couldn’t have been easy for her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭NSAman

Have the Gaurds questioned Johanna Hayes yet?

Seriously, sad state of affairs if the people involved think this is the only option available to them. RIP little one.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

RIP baby, but I think people need to consider someone’s mental health. Nobody willingly leaves their child while in their right frame of mind, I hope she is found safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Whatever her circumstances - I hope she's found alive and gets the help she needs. Hopefully lessons can be learnt to stop this type of thing happening again.

Try to maintain a bit of dignity and empathy next time T-maxx.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Whatever her circumstances - I hope she's found alive and gets the help she needs. Hopefully lessons can be learnt to stop this type of thing happening again.

Try to maintain a bit of dignity and empathy next time T-maxx.

A lot of people on this board must come from families with everything intact and no issues to be able to call for the mother’s head.

I suffer from severe depression where I’ve spent time inside units that no person ever wants to see, and spoke to more doctors then sits in the mater hospital. Mental Ill health is frightening and I can say with all certainty this mother is suffering just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

koutoubia wrote:
    Really thought these days were consigned to the dark past but painfully not.

Almost word for word from my wife a few hours ago on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

For those of you who are being harsh on the mother. Just to.point it it's very possible she has a mental illness which is not her fault.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Such a tragedy, hopefully they'll find the mother and give her the help she needs. We have no idea just how hard life is for some people.
    RIP little baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Disgusting comment. Some where out there, there is a girl or lady in distress.

The baby may have been still born you have no idea what went on

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Mod note: Out of respect for those involved in this tragedy, we would ask members to refrain from posting speculation.

tHB

Wesser wrote: »
    For those of you who are being harsh on the mother. Just to.point it it's very possible she has a mental illness which is not her fault.

To be fair you could say any one who commits against another person must have mental issues. Why only women?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Of course there are some who murder others who are deemed guilty but insane. Happens from time to time. There is a higher Incidence of psychiatric disease around the time of pregnancy.

Even if not she must have been fairly distressed to have done what she did. So I do not support the previous posters call to.prosecute her

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

To be fair you could say any one who commits against another person must have mental issues. Why only women?

This thread is specifically about a woman who more than likely gave birth alone and possibly on a beach, in winter. It's not the sort of thing you would do if you felt you had any other option.

Nobody is saying "only women".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

As far as I can see onl;ine no one knows what happened yet. It could have been a stillbirth or died of natural causes after birth. The mother could be greif struck. The mother could be as young as 13.

There are many possibilities & it's a little early to be starting this conversation imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

ted1 wrote:
    Disgusting comment. Some where out there, there is a girl or lady in distress.

The baby may have been still born you have no idea what went on

I don't know the facts and neither do you. What I do know is that if she went to a hospital the baby might still be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't know the facts and neither do you. What I do know is that if she went to a hospital the baby might still be alive.

And maybe there is a good reason why she didn't, or couldn't, have the baby in a hospital.

• Advertisement

This thread is specifically about a woman who more than likely gave birth alone and possibly on a beach, in winter. It's not the sort of thing you would do if you felt you had any other option.

Nobody is saying "only women".

Sure. But you don't know. But the defaulting position when women commit atrocity is mental illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I don't live a million miles away, and have a newborn baby. I've been particularly affected by this story as a result.

I will never understand why the women leave the babies in places like this. Why can't they leave them somewhere where they may get discovered and be kept alive? You could leave that baby on the doorstep of almost any household in the country and it would be cared for. Oh how I wish she had left the baby on my doorstep instead.

So so tragic.

We have no idea who left the baby there or why.

godtabh wrote: »
    Have some hearth. This couldn’t have been easy for her

I can never understand why people jump to conclusions and assumptions about these news stories. Sure we have no idea what happened yet.

She might be 10. She might be dead. She might be lying somewhere gravely ill. But let’s get a lynch mob ready just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Was about to post same. Anyone who commits murder is insane. This woman is a murderer

You have no idea if she was in a hospital or not. She may have left the hospital with a live baby. You know nothing but you are judging pointing and condemning away like crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Becks610

Was about to post same. Anyone who commits murder is insane. This woman is a murderer

Baby could have been still born. That is not a woman’s fault- surely you know that.

You’ve decided that a woman has committed murder.
    What grounds have you to come to this conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

If we take that at face value, how does this knowledge of what might have been back up your claim that someone should be prosecuted? You can't prosecute someone merely for not going to a hospital, regardless of the outcome of that decision.

I think you had a strong reaction to this story, which is understandable, but you let that become unhelpful and misdirected anger very quickly. You can and should step back from that.

This is very depressing.

• Advertisement

You need your head looked at.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement