Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body of a newborn found on Balbriggan beach

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

The abortion bill was only passed into law on Thursday.

Too late for this unfortunate young woman.

The Catholic fundamentalist nut jobs have blood on their hands, still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

T-Maxx wrote: »
    How did burying your baby (be it alive or dead) in a shallow grave on a beach somehow became acceptable here?
    Absolutely nobody said it's acceptable but I do agree that just as we don't know she was being cold-hearted, we don't know that she was mentally ill or feeling like she had no choice or innocent either. If people are going to say not to speculate, then that should apply to any type of speculation.
    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    There are posters here that would worry me more than the mother.
    You don't know anything about the mother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

splinter65 wrote: »
    So depression is a weakness, not an illness is that right? It’s a failing? Do you think people with depression should just cop themselves on?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Some people here are very quick to pardon the mother on mental illness grounds, then straight away come out guns blazing about others making assumptions...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

hill16bhoy wrote: »

Can you explain how you came to the conclusion that a baby is dead because of the church?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I can see where he's coming from with this. We all thought or at least I thought that we had a more caring society now compared to 30 years ago. I fooled myself into thinking that everyone has someone to turn to. I fooled myself into thinking that this wouldn't /couldn't happen in modern society. In my own mind I thought with the fall of the church power in Ireland that these things wouldn't happen any more.

Tis very sad

I thought those days were long gone

Nobody for a young girl to turn to for help in year 2018 to stop this horrific ending?

Yes

You must find life very difficult having to occupy and share space with people who have weaknesses and failings when you are a perfect specimen. How do you manage to be so patient with them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Absolutely nobody said it's acceptable but I do agree that just as we don't know she was being cold-hearted, we don't know that she was mentally ill or feeling like she had no choice or innocent either. If people are going to say not to speculate, then that should apply to any type of speculation..

If a cold hearted or even moderately together person did it the baby would never be found. It's not a good plan to half bury them on the beach if you want to keep a secret.

I can see where he's coming from with this. We all thought or at least I thought that we had a more caring society now compared to 30 years ago. I fooled myself into thinking that everyone has someone to turn to. I fooled myself into thinking that this wouldn't /couldn't happen in modern society. In my own mind I thought with the fall of the church power in Ireland that these things wouldn't happen any more.

Tis very sad
    hill16bhoy wrote: »

I'm no fan of the Catholic church but you have zero evidence that this has something to do with it. And very highly likely hasn't - there's no way it has a fraction of the influence it once had.

I thought those days were long gone

Nobody for a young girl to turn to for help in year 2018 to stop this horrific ending?

We’ve no idea how the baby ended up on the beach so there’s really nothing to be gained from speculating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

coleen wrote: »
    This could possibly be a very young person 12/13 year old.
    Compassion would be nice

In AH these days? You must be joking? There was a time not that long ago that it was a lot more common, but nowadays it seems that some people go out of their way to be as dickish as they possibly can be about tragic circumstances despite not having any of the details. Maybe these people were always there, but because the internet wasn't around they didn't have an outlet to be heard, but it's a sad indictment of the way the country is going where people want to shoot their mouth off first and worry about the facts later. If there's a criminal case to answer after a proper investigation has been carried out, then by all means whoever's responsible should be prosecuted. But at the moment we have a dead baby, possibly a new mother in need of medical attention and a load of dicks showing off that they can be harder and more insensitive than the next guy.

We’ve no idea how the baby ended up on the beach so there’s really nothing to be gained from speculating.
    Exactly. All this stuff about having nobody to turn to - they have no idea that that's what led to this awful discovery.

I'm no fan of the Catholic church but you have zero evidence that this has something to do with it. And very highly likely hasn't - there's no way it has a fraction of the influence it once had.

It has no influence.
    It is however a very handy whipping boy that will be trotted out for years to come by those convinced that we are much better people now, now that we’ve banished religion. You must stick to the script you know.

Zaph wrote: »
    In AH these days? You must be joking?.
    This isn't AH!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This isn't AH!

Oops, sorry, you're right. The rest of the post is still valid though, there are some serious dicks on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You don't know anything about the mother.

No but unfortunately I can see what a lot of posters are like & they know nothing about the mother, yet they've found her guilty of murder without even knowing what happened to the little baby.

There was a time when we would have a bit of respect. We'd wait for facts and details before judgment. We wouldn't speak I'll of the dead at least until they were buried out of respect for the family. We would have spoken I'll of the mother in this case till after the funeral at least out of respect for the little baby and the rest of the family.

Now with this wonderful modern Ireland we speak our mind and to hell with the surviving family. Sure let's make their grief worse. I'm entitled to have my say & I'll be heard.

Gives out about posters making assumptions, then makes assumptions themselves...

Classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PawneeRanger

This isn't AH!

It reads like AH, given some of these replies.
    Absolutely disgusting.

We have no idea what happened here and some of the comments here are vile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Poor mental health is weakness. People with mental health issues are weak.

Trollish, and insulting to anyone with mental health issues. Think carefully before posting again in this thread.

No but unfortunately I can see what a lot of posters are like & they know nothing about the mother, yet they've found her guilty of murder without even knowing what happened to the little baby.

There was a time when we would have a bit of respect. We'd wait for facts and details before judgment. We wouldn't speak I'll of the dead at least until they were buried out of respect for the family. We would have spoken I'll of the mother in this case till after the funeral at least out of respect for the little baby and the rest of the family.

Now with this wonderful modern Ireland we speak our mind and to hell with the surviving family. Sure let's make their grief worse. I'm entitled to have my say & I'll be heard.
    I doubt that time ever existed. Anonymity on the internet just amplifies it. You even alluded yourself to 30 years ago being harsher.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The lack of empathy and compassion in some of the posts in this thread is astonishing. If this is indicative of modern Ireland 's attitudes towards mental health problems and people who may be in desperate situations then God help us.

Hopefully the mother will come forward and get the medical help she needs, and the decision as to whether she is to be charged with a crime will be taken by the people who are qualified to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

The lack of empathy and compassion in some of the posts in this thread is astonishing. If this is indicative of modern Ireland 's attitudes towards mental health problems and people who may be in desperate situations then God help us.

Hopefully the mother will come forward and get the medical help she needs, and the decision as to whether she is to be charged with a crime will be taken by the people who are qualified to do so.

We don’t know if it’s a mental health issue yet in fairness. We don’t even know if a woman did it or acted alone.
    It’s likely but we know nothing for definite.

I doubt that time ever existed. Anonymity on the internet just amplifies it. You even alluded yourself to 30 years ago being harsher.

No 30 or 40 years ago no one spoke out at all about anything. This gave the church the control it needed. However this is totally different to having basic manners and showing a little respect when there is a death. A little thoughtfulness about the surviving family or just being a little sensitive in comments because other posters may have lost a baby. There are very few free things in life. Manners is one of those things. They can strip you bollix naked going to jail. Take all your worldly possessions but they can't take your manners or respect if you don't want to give them up.

If there is a crime. We still don't know that there is

People have always been judgmental - it's nothing new. There was even less tolerance in times past. Today, gay people can get married, transgender is recognised, there isn't a stigma to having a baby out of wedlock or having mental health issues. Obviously there are individuals opposed to the above but overall society is far more accepting.

All we know is that a dead newborn baby was found on a beach - it is horrendously sad, and in a way I hope that the poor thing was stillborn so that they didn't suffer.

Otherwise we know absolutely zero as to the why and whom, or whether the events leading to it put the mother in a negative light or an innocent one. Could be numerous things.

Sleeper12 wrote:
    If there is a crime. We still don't know that there is

Of course there is. At the very least you can't simply go ahead and bury a body in a public place.

T-Maxx wrote:
    Of course there is. At the very least you can't simply go ahead and bury a body in a public place.

It's not a crime if you are grief stricken & in a trance. Some mothers have been know to keep their babies for days as if still alive. Fortunately the authorities don't rush in with assumptions like crime in these cases.

But you stated quite clearly in this thread that you hoped the mother of the baby would be found and prosecuted. Is that still your position?

Whatever about her circumstances - I hope she's found and prosecuted.

This post here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Can you explain how you came to the conclusion that a baby is dead because of the church?

In 1983 the Catholic fundamentalist far right hijacked Irish politics in order to bully pulpit through a disastrous constitutional amendment which condemned nearly 200,000 women with crisis pregnancies to, in many cases, disastrous outcomes.

Ann Lovett, Joanne Hayes, the victim at the centre of the X Case, Michelle Harte and Savita Halappanavar are merely the most well known of the litany of tragic cases that were caused by the barbaric 8th Amendment.

The Catholic Church had a direct hand in the lack of a compassionate, sensible abortion law in Ireland which would very likely would have spared this dreadfully unfortunate young woman the tragic fate which befell her.

No abortion legislation was on the books up to this week. This was too late for this young woman. I very much hope she's the last of these tragic cases caused by the Catholic Church-driven 19th century attitude towards women that was official state policy until last May, and in reality, until this week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement