Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body of a newborn found on Balbriggan beach

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Whatever about her circumstances - I hope she's found and prosecuted.
    splinter65 wrote: »
    This post here.

Eff off back to the 19th century.

Neither of you even know how the newborn died and you're already calling for the prosecution of a woman whose trauma you'll never be able to even imagine never mind comprehend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

hill16bhoy wrote:
    Neither of you even know how the newborn died and you're already calling for the prosecution of a woman whose trauma you'll never be able to even imagine never mind comprehend.

I think you will find only one poster was looking for a prosecution. The other poster was calling him out on it and not agreeing with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

hill16bhoy wrote: »

And yet, here you are using her trauma for your own agenda.

You're not right in the head it's absolutely disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

In 1983 the Catholic fundamentalist far right hijacked Irish politics in order to bully pulpit through a disastrous constitutional amendment which condemned nearly 200,000 women with crisis pregnancies to, in many cases, disastrous outcomes.

Ann Lovett, Joanne Hayes, the victim at the centre of the X Case, Michelle Harte and Savita Halappanavar are merely the most well known of the litany of tragic cases that were caused by the barbaric 8th Amendment.

The Catholic Church had a direct hand in the lack of a compassionate, sensible abortion law in Ireland which would very likely would have spared this dreadfully unfortunate young woman the tragic fate which befell her.

No abortion legislation was on the books up to this week. This was too late for this young woman. I very much hope she's the last of these tragic cases caused by the Catholic Church-driven 19th century attitude towards women that was official state policy until last May, and in reality, until this week.
    Except you have zero evidence that this was a crisis pregnancy.

Splinter65 is saying people should not jump to conclusions. The post you quoted by them gives zero indication of them saying otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

If it turned out a male buried this child the general tone of the thread will change fast. #Woke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The abortion bill was only passed into law on Thursday.

Too late for this unfortunate young woman.

The Catholic fundamentalist nut jobs have blood on their hands, still.

So if there was legal abortion here nine months ago, the baby would still be dead, but it would be ok because it happened earlier and due to the actions of a doctor rather than the actions of another person?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

In 1983 the Catholic fundamentalist far right hijacked Irish politics in order to bully pulpit through a disastrous constitutional amendment which condemned nearly 200,000 women with crisis pregnancies to, in many cases, disastrous outcomes.

Ann Lovett, Joanne Hayes, the victim at the centre of the X Case, Michelle Harte and Savita Halappanavar are merely the most well known of the litany of tragic cases that were caused by the barbaric 8th Amendment.

The Catholic Church had a direct hand in the lack of a compassionate, sensible abortion law in Ireland which would very likely would have spared this dreadfully unfortunate young woman the tragic fate which befell her.

No abortion legislation was on the books up to this week. This was too late for this young woman. I very much hope she's the last of these tragic cases caused by the Catholic Church-driven 19th century attitude towards women that was official state policy until last May, and in reality, until this week.

In other words you have zero evidence that this baby’s death had anything to do with the Catholic Church. I thought as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You’ll have to go to all the trouble of reading back over the thread to see that I’ve been one of the few defending this woman on this thread.
    Then you’re going to apologize to me and retract this post.
    Ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Peter Denham

I recall a similar situation a few years back where it was a dad involved, it was deemed inappropriate by the media to suggest mental illness as a factor in case it would further stigmatise mental health. People seem less concerned about that this time around, despite the lack of facts people are content to blame mental illness even though the vast majority of those with mental health issues don't find themselves in this situation.

RIP to the baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I recall a similar situation a few years back where it was a dad involved, it was deemed inappropriate by the media to suggest mental illness as a factor in case it would further stigmatise mental health. People seem less concerned about that this time around, despite the lack of facts people are content to blame mental illness even though the vast majority of those with mental health issues don't find themselves in this situation.

RIP to the baby.
    What similar situation was there where a possibly stillborn baby's body was discovered and the father was the target of speculation?

If it's other recent events where the father was focused on, then there is no comparison between the scenarios. And there was much more information with regard to those cases.

However I do agree that there is inconsistency when it comes to considering the possibility of mental illness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Peter Denham

What similar situation was there where a possibly stillborn baby's body was discovered and the father was the target of speculation?

If it's other recent events where the father was focused on, then there is no comparison between the scenarios. And there was much more information with regard to those cases.

However I do agree that there is inconsistency when it comes to considering the possibility of mental illness.
    You're right actually. The case I was thinking of involved a choking incident and it was similar in the sense that the casualty was a baby. But indeed it was very different to this and I was also confusing elements of another case with it.

With regards to speculation on mental health, or even posters claiming with certainty that mental health is a factor, I don't understand why people can't just wait for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

So if there was legal abortion here nine months ago, the baby would still be dead, but it would be ok because it happened earlier and due to the actions of a doctor rather than the actions of another person?

Welcome to modern Ireland, a compassionate, understanding country you seem to resent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

The baby would have ceased to exist at a much earlier stage before full development

Post partum depression is very real and the reason infantacde is viewed differently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Try_harder wrote: »
    The baby would have ceased to exist at a much earlier stage before full development

Post partum depression is very real and the reason matracide is viewed differently

I'm lost, are you talking about a mother committing suicide or somebody killing their mother? Two very different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Hoboo wrote: »
    I'm lost, are you talking about a mother committing suicide or somebody killing their mother? Two very different things.

Apologies infantacide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

godtabh wrote:
    Have some hearth. This couldn’t have been easy for her

Well wasnt easy for the child either. Hope she serves a lit of time but gets the help she needs from behind bars

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@Ultimate Seduction & Subcommandante Marcos - posts removed. Get a room & carry on your tiff elsewhere. Do not post in this thread again.

tHB

Mr.H wrote: »
    Well wasnt easy for the child either. Hope she serves a lit of time but gets the help she needs from behind bars
    Serves a lot of time for what exactly? You have absolutely no fncking idea of the circumstances that led to that poor infant's body being found yesterday, but oh Lordy the mother must be guilty of something, eh? You haven't a shred of evidence that any crime was committed, that the mother was even involved, but fnck it - she must be guilty of something! Is that it?

At the very least, there is a girl or woman out there in urgent need of medical attention for a start, in need of compassion & understanding to help her cope with what has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

This is a horrible story which poses so many questions.

My heart goes out to the poor baby whom for whatever reason has been found dead in such tragic circumstances.

My heart also goes out to the Mother for whom my mind is at a loss to find the questions for which this situation is the answer. I hope She can be found safe and well in order to receive the help She needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mr.H wrote:

Wow, some disturbed people out there, with disturbing views! Let's hope this woman is found asap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

In

No abortion legislation was on the books up to this week.

Firstly, it's not only Catholics who were against abortion ....but let's blame the RCC anyway.

Secondly, you've no idea how complex it is writing and bringing through legislation that will work. I have.

This thread is an absolute disgrace. The usual soapboxers.

I can't understand why it's still open.

@tatranska - PM a mod if you wish to discuss the moderation of this thread. Do not drag it off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

How about.....some posters wait for some facts before jumping to conclusions.
    Could have been a frightened teenage girl, rape victim, could have been the father of the new born that buried the body, could have been the newborns grandad that did it against her will. Could have been a mentally challenged mother (severely mentally handicapped) not knowing what was going on. The baby could have been stillborn. The mother could be dead. Or it could have been murder pure and simple. Nobody here knows.

Possibilities here are many and varied. Wouldn't rush to judge and look for justice. Whatever happened was tragic but at the time of writing the article linked in OP there is probably only 1 person that knows what really happened. Possibly 2 people but I doubt any more than that.
    There might be more known now time has passed.

RIP little baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I actually don’t give a hoot about “circumstances,” or was the person “mentally unwell” or not, whatever that means, depending on people’s behaviors. A prosecution needs to happen here..

On a separate note: this mental health term. Holy god, years ago nobody wanted to hear or mention it; you can’t bloody escape it now...everyone seems to “have it.” It’s gone from “what’s that?” to an almost “how can I get it”?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's not a crime if you are grief stricken & in a trance.

I really don't think that is true.

Even though my post above was asking posters to stop jumping to conclusions I do still believe a crime was committed. And will have to be dealt with appropriately. What that crime is, we just don't know yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Actually couldn’t be assed

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's not a crime if you are grief stricken & in a trance.

I really don't think that is true.

No, it's definitely not true. It can explain what happened but certainly doesn't excuse what happened.

Final reminder - No more speculation please. And that includes whether a crime has been committed or not, & the mental wellbeing of people caught in such circumstances.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

There’s an awful lot of assuming here about the person(s) who did this...

Awful lot of looking for excuses...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement