Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas Bonus and advice please ?

Options
  • 15-12-2018 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Background

I work for a Logistics Co since November 2015 - HQ is in Germany, am answerable to GB Managing Director

I and my four colleagues approached a company in Germany in mid-2015 as our employer at the time was going into liquidation - we were the five top performers in our old co. and they funded us to open a branch office.

I remotely work from my home in Glasgow UK - am taxed etc as an Irish employee.

All good so far, we have done quite well and our new employers seem to be happy with us.

However, in September I checked my salary and I had additional funds - upon checking I had been awarded an EUR 600.00 Bonus (performance) which was fantastic and unexpected. I was with my colleagues in Dublin - (I am over fortnightly) and they mentioned that they had received a bonus of EUR 1,100 each

We don't see our MD much, he leaves us to our own devices which is great. Also considering it was a "performance" bonus I believe related to 2017, and I spent most of 2017 with my Mum as she was treated unsuccessfully for Cancer, and considering the fact that it was a "bonus" - not written into our contracts etc - the only thing hurt was my pride.

Fast forward to this week and we received an Xmas bonus - again the same thing happened, I was given EUR 600.00 my colleagues EUR 1,100.00

One of the agreements myself and my colleagues made amongst ourselves was that we would all go into the new co. on the same salary level - this is causing some discomfort in the office now, and some embarrassment. Also, the fact that the "bonus" system has never been explained to us leads at least two of my colleagues (and me) to wonder if its a management divide and conquer tactic.

I tried to contact my MD on Friday but he was travelling - I am to call him next week.

I have checked with my colleagues (whom I trust explicitly) and they have no issues with my work, my attitude, my demeanour and my figures have been good - I would consider them all friends. And the role I am responsible for now is different from what I was doing in our previous co and all are happy at how I have coped with and managed the new responsibilities.

So - any advice as to how to approach our MD and see why my bonus is lesser? Honestly, if he references figures from 2017, I am more than happy to accept that as I know that 2018 has been a very good year so far.

I have had no major arguments or disagreements with our MD or his GB staff (Accounts) - I do however sometimes get the impression that I was an "add-on" - ie our proposal when we first floated the new co. in Dublin was the five of as a package. I don't really have much interaction with our MD.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Definitely discuss it with your MD. This kind of thing is hurtful and damaging to teams. They owe you an explanation, even if it is discretionary etc. Don't be afraid to be assertive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I wouldn't jump to the "it's a divide and conquer tactic" mentality.

I don't know why so many people think their managers are machiavellian.

My first thought was it's some sort of tax issue.

You say you are resident in UK but pay your tax in Ireland. That doesn't make sense. You have to pay tax where you are resident. So perhaps the tax for bonuses in the UK is different to the tax for bonuses in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

defo have a chat with the MD

perhaps there is a proper reason for this shortage,

could even be something as simply as an admin error,

best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

Could be as simple as:

MD: give the guys in the sub office a bonus

Seceretary: how much should I give them?

MD: same as last year

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How are you paying tax in Ireland if you live in the UK?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/work-out-if-youll-pay-the-scottish-rate-of-income-tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Salaries in Ireland would normally be far higher than the UK. Either your earning higher than normal or their under paid. I'm guessing your being over paid. Would your manager know this and isn't giving you the same ?
    Not knowing what you do, could your manager believe the others are better performers, if so then the difference is understandable.
    As others have pointed out your payment of tax sounds very suspect, it could be to your benefit to pay tax in the UK. But if I were you I'd have a meeting with a good accountant before approaching your employer so you have some facts.

Advertisement