Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tonight's fights 15/12 (Katie Taylor/Canelo/BT Card)

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Fielding looked like a lad on holiday all week. Found a way out of there asap. Not surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Made a fool of himself. No gameplan to use his physical advantage. Knocked three times. Embarrassed.

Its like me playing Football against Ronaldo - levels

Morrison J wrote: »
    Fielding looked like a lad on holiday all week. Found a way out of there asap. Not surprised.

I was pleasantly surprised with his exchanges- could have tried to stay out of range- didnt. Fair play I say

Feliz Navidad Canelo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Try_harder wrote: »
    That is incredibly harsh. You box?

No. Its not harsh. It's a realistic assessment of the fight.

• Advertisement

pac_man wrote: »
    Embarrassed is not a word I'd use in boxing. What's he to be embarrassed about? He was just totally outclassed and that was to be expected.

No. Its not harsh. It's a realistic assessment of the fight.

Its a reductive simplistic way to look at it

Je suis Rocky Fielding!

Embarrassed is not a word I'd use in boxing. What's he to be embarrassed about? He was just totally outclassed and that was to be expected.

Well yes. I have the utmost respect for anyone that steps into the ring at any level but I think he was more than outclassed. My point is the commentator saying he was not embarrassed isn't true...it was.

He had a rabbit in the headlights look in his ringwalk. Fair play if you did the 1-6 round bet.

What price was 1-6? 1-3 was only 3/1 I think

• Advertisement

Well yes. I have the utmost respect for anyone that steps into the ring at any level but I think he was more than outclassed. My point is the commentator saying he was not embarrassed isn't true...it was.

He wasnt embarrassed tho- he threw leather back and got back up twice

Its a reductive simplistic way to look at it

3 rounds. 3 knockdowns. What would you call it?

Going off the boxing betting thread 6/5 for it to be stopped between rounds 1 and 6. That was a few days ago.

Cant imagine it would be any bigger

3 rounds. 3 knockdowns. What would you call it?

A guy that that was outclassed but had the balls to get back up twice

And you proved my point with your reply

Round 3 exactly was 10s. Was going for 3 and 4 myself but lost my stack on Lee on the ufc..the prick! ☺

He had a rabbit in the headlights look in his ringwalk. Fair play if you did the 1-6 round bet.

Didn't like the vibe off him all week and he looked like a ghost in the dressing room beforehand. Had a bit on it but not enough!

Round 3 exactly was 10s. Was going for 3 and 4 myself but lost my stack on Lee on the ufc..the prick! ☺

I wanted 1-3 but my I have no money! Cries into debt collectors letters (Im not in debt to that extent)

A guy that that was outclassed but had the balls to get back up twice

And you proved my point with your reply

The balls to get up? So he should be commended for not quitting after two minutes? Fielding is a feking spoofer. I read somewhere he has a flight booked to Disney tomorrow with his kids. Says it all really

Didn't like the vibe off him all week and he looked like a ghost in the dressing room beforehand. Had a bit on it but not enough!

Youd need a fair wedge to get anything back covering rds 1-6 tbf

The balls to get up? So he should be commended for not quitting after two minutes? Fielding is a feking spoofer. I read somewhere he has a flight booked to Disney tomorrow with his kids. Says it all really

Yes he should. You ever do it?

• Advertisement

Yes he should. You ever do it?

Get up after being knocked? Every day buddy. You?

Youd need a fair wedge to get anything back covering rds 1-6 tbf

Unless having a small gamble on a big underdog I'd rarely back things too far off even money in boxing to be fair. Had 1-6 @ 6/5 which was good value in retrospect. Bigger bets at smaller odds is how you make proft from boxing imo.

Get up after being knocked? Every day buddy. You?

Got my first KD in sparring last week.

I note you chose to be ambiguous with your answer not fooling me

Unless having a small gamble on a big underdog I'd rarely back things too far off even money in boxing to be fair. Had 1-6 @ 6/5 which was good value in retrospect. Bigger bets at smaller odds is how you make proft from boxing imo.

Completely agree. But smaller bets are bigger odds is more fun

Got my first KD in sparring last week.

Good for you man. Been thinking about it myself to be honest. Found a local gym with an over 35s program but want to lose a few pounds before I get serious!

Good for you man. Been thinking about it myself to be honest. Found a local gym with an over 35s program but want to lose a few pounds before I get serious!

The best way to lose weight. A gym wont put you in out of your depth - I just sparred a punk kid who wanted to impress his mates. When I told him my 10 year old niece could KD me I toolk all the good out of it for him! Check mate!

I was KDed. But I got back up. (After about 90 seconds!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I thought it was a cowardly decision to go for Fielding as opposed to calling out Callum Smith. Real champions are supposed to fight the best, not picking fights with boxers well below them just to make them look good in front of their fans.

At some point you have to ask, is one of the boxers simply taking the money for taking a hiding, where they really have no chance of winning. It was pretty from the first knockdown that Canelo would be able to knock him down with a body punch whenever he wanted. Hopefully Rocky got a right few quid all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

It was win win for Fielding though.
    He probably got the biggest purse of his career without a doubt, probably more than he would have gotten for his next 3 fights combined. He lost nothing in terms of his reputation as a fighter as everyone expected him to lose anyway and he did throw back. And if by some miracle he had happened to have won then he really was catapulted into the big leagues. Absolute win win for him. Risk and reward

• Advertisement

It was win win for Fielding though.
    He probably got the biggest purse of his career without a doubt, probably more than he would have gotten for his next 3 fights combined. He lost nothing in terms of his reputation as a fighter as everyone expected him to lose anyway and he did throw back. And if by some miracle he had happened to have won then he really was catapulted into the big leagues. Absolute win win for him. Risk and reward

100 in agreement- Canelo chicken out here! He didnt have the minerals to fight the actual champ- Fielding only interim champ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Canelo fights everyone and anyone to be fair. GGG twice,Mayweather, Lara etc. The Fielding fight was just a first step into that division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fielding, as I thought...muck..

You won’t get a softer belt, Canelo...

Smith would definitely pose more issues...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

walshb wrote: »

Plucky Brit. Did his best. Very brave getting up 3 times etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Canelo is a sponge. Every top guy he fights he learns something from them, takes something from them and adds it to his own game. His mentality is A1. I definitely saw a few snippets of Golovkin in him last night. He has his critics but I adore watching him. Credit must go to the Reynoso's though who always fly under the radar but have done stellar work with him. Already Ryan Garcia looks miles better in his first fight under them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

walshb wrote: »

Smith would be done within 6 or 7 rounds. He wouldn’t cause any issues at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Smith would be done within 6 or 7 rounds. He wouldn’t cause any issues at all.

I’d back Canelo, too....but at least Smith has some talent, and has a good dig on him...

Tall, rangy, decent puncher and big SMW..

He’s fought nobody apart from a has-been Groves...

I normally don’t root against British/English, but the sooner the better these overhyped, overrated and very ordinary British fighters are cleaned out, the better.

Sky really do grind you down with it all..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭obi604

in regard to the Katie Taylor V Wahlstrom fight, was there a press conference after the fight?
    Had a gander around online and could not find anything.

Lot of talk that Canelo - Jacobs is as good as a done deal for May.

https://twitter.com/Woodsy1069/status/1074440820986707968?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Good fight that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

We arrived just as Ryan Garcia was beginning to dominate. Missed the Katie fight as we stayed till the end of the Jets game thinking they would win!

Anyway we ambled up to the bridge section at the very top which is a very impressive way to watch the proceedings and watched Garcia swarm Rodriguez. After the ref counted Garcia admitted he knew no Spanish but appreciated the hispanic support!

IMG-3748.jpg

Next up was a welterweight clash between Sadam Ali and Herrera. Over 10 rounds no doubting the winner but Ali doesn't look great and the crowd is bored and distracted. Very forgettable bout.

Tevin Farmer was up next and this fight had more action as his opponent a very brave Costa Rican/Nicaraguan came to compete. Despite the Champ promising an early ko this went the distance. Farmer was quick handed and very sharp given how many fights he has had this year. Impressively jabbing throughout his work rate and superior skill set made the UD the right decision.

On to the main event and with the arena now filling up the atmosphere was building. However anybody who just arrived can feel a wee bit cheated as the gulf in class was enormous. Fielding taking a knee in the first was ominous and his subsequent body language was of a guy who wanted to be out of there. Hard to figure what kind of gameplay there was to engage at close quarters with Canelo really.

Fair play to anyone at home who stayed up till 5am to watch this one sided farce! Our 2 tickets came to $145.

IMG-3750.jpg

IMG-3756.jpg

IMG-3758.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement