Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evictions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Leo Varadkar is so out of touch it amazes me.
    Taking the side of the security company just shows how he feels about the people .
    The housing crisis, not enough houses, high rental prices.Homelessness.
    He just smiles throughout, like he is totally lost, May can't stand him and I can see why.

The ability to rub Teresa May up the wrong way is an admirable quality in any person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Hopefully they will be evicted again soon. The “victims” released a statement yesterday which was a load of boll*x.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Gatling wrote: »
    €300,000+ owed to bank
    €500,000+ owed to the tax man
    €20,000 + owed to local businesses
    More money owed to another bank for Landrovers

And this guy is considered a victim due to a wholly legal eviction

This is not the list of his debts by a long shot.
    By rights the individual needs to be advised to engage to the fullest extent possible with debt management practitioners- with a presumption that a full bankruptcy and all it entails- is the most probable end game.

What happened in Roscommon- should not have happened- on either side- however, the subsequent manipulation of the situation by both sides- is achieving nothing- aside from entrenching positions and spinning yarns.

No-one is innocent in any of this- however, its not a game of adjudicating on whether a party is more sinned against than sinning, to borrow a phrase. Laws are there for a reason. What has to happen now- is An Garda Síochána and our judiciary have to untangle the godforsaken mess and try to come up with a solution that is perceived as fair under Irish law, robust and does not encourage or condone any such commensurate actions by anyone else on either side of the argument- in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Leo Varadkar is so out of touch it amazes me.
    Taking the side of the security company just shows how he feels about the people .
    The housing crisis, not enough houses, high rental prices.Homelessness.
    He just smiles throughout, like he is totally lost, May can't stand him and I can see why.

I think he is on the side of the law. The court has made a judgement with the facts been presented to it. I think the emotional comments of homelessness etc is just that emotion it doesn't deal with the facts. The loan was taken, terms were agreed and that needs to be upheld.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

A home is simply a title to somewhere.
    He forfeited that title when he refused to comply with all legal avenues put to him

A home is not a title to somewhere. A home is where a person lives. many people have no title to the home they live in. It doesn't mean they are outlaws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭whippet

Pearse Doherty was on newstalk earlier and his take on this was typical of the nonsense that is being peddled about.

Everything was wrong - but yet he couldn't say how it should be done.

he said that the eviction should have been done with 'compassion' .. when pressed on how an eviction where the trespassers refuse to leave can be done with 'compassion' he had no response.

While this is typical Sinn Fein .. point out the problems but have no solutions - it shows a total lack of honesty. Doherty didn't once address the main point that this eviction was the result of years of legal action and obvious lack of co-operation by the trespassers.

I'd ask anyone who is supporting the actions of the group of thugs who used baseball bats to tell me how they think the court order should have been enforced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

whippet wrote: »
    Pearse Doherty was on newstalk earlier and his take on this was typical of the nonsense that is being peddled about.

Everything was wrong - but yet he couldn't say how it should be done.

he said that the eviction should have been done with 'compassion' .. when pressed on how an eviction where the trespassers refuse to leave can be done with 'compassion' he had no response.

?

It is quite easily done and done frequently. The banks gets a court order requiring the occupiers to gie up possession. If they refuse to leave the guards arest them and put them and brig them to court. If they persist in refusing they are put in jail.

It is quite easily done and done frequently. The banks gets a court order requiring the occupiers to gie up possession. If they refuse to leave the guards arest them and put them and brig them to court. If they persist in refusing they are put in jail.

have you any example of where the guards have arrested someone in this type of case?

Its a civil matter.

And i'm sure you'd be first to be up in arms looking for the Garda Commissioner to resign if the guards went in and dragged the trespassers out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

If they didn't pay their debts they should lose their property.

Getting British heavies down from the north to evict them violently was foolish though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The man could still have redeemed the mortgage. It was his home until his forcible removal.

No it was not

"there were at least seven communications between the local sheriff and/or the sheriff's messenger and Mr McGann.

On September 18, the property was visited by the messenger and it is understood Mr McGann was informed of the date that possession would take place.

It appears he was given further time in September to make arrangements or engage with the bank. On December 9, a further visit confirmed the date and time for possession, December 11 at 1pm."

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/farmer-was-informed-of-repossession-of-property-seven-times-37639971.html

• Advertisement

I'd ask anyone who is supporting the actions of the group of thugs who used baseball bats to tell me how they think the court order should have been enforced?

The guards

backspin. wrote: »
    If they didn't pay their debts they should lose their property.

Getting British heavies down from the north to evict them violently was foolish though.

Unfortunately in cases like this where the trespassers refuse to leave the property getting physical is the only option. And because of the emotions that the Irish have around land you’d find it impossible to get a local security company to do it.

As for them being from the north .. from what I can make out the trespasser don’t seem to have any issue with the British getting involved as long as it’s their flavour of British

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

4ensic15 wrote: »
    A home is not a title to somewhere. A home is where a person lives. many people have no title to the home they live in. It doesn't mean they are outlaws.
    It's a sentimental title.
    People live in hotels yet claim to be homeless. Which way do you want it?

The fact remains that they forfeitted any right to be on the property long ago. Recently the courts decided that they were to be evicted as they refused to comply with all agreements prior to that. Why do you think they should still be able to say it's their home?
    If I walk into your house and decide to make it my home, does this actually make it my home (and therefore I shouldn't have to leave)?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Would you not be critical of the gardai for their actions in forcing a family from their home especially when it's a civil matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

backspin. wrote: »
    The guards
    And when he refused to leave, what should the Garda have done? Kept asking him nicely?

fletch wrote: »
    And when he refused to leave, what should the Garda have done? Kept asking him nicely?

Truncheons

Would you not be critical of the gardai for their actions in forcing a family from their home especially when it's a civil matter?

They wouldn't be forcing anyone from their home. They would be carrying out an order of the court to effect an arrest, something the garda do frequently. The purpose of the arrest is of no concern of the garda.
    The garda had no proble in doing it in this case.
    https://extra.ie/2018/05/10/news/irish-news/yvonne-walsh-refusing-food-mountjoy-prison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

https://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/roscommon/report-garda-operation-underway-following-alleged-incidents-strokestown/
    Local reports in the north Roscommon area this morning suggest that a man has been arrested as part of a Garda investigation into alleged incidents at Falsk in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Gardai in Roscommon are continuing investigations into alleged incidents in Strokestown in recent days.

The Garda Press Office has confirmed to Shannonside FM that an operation is currently ongoing in the county and they will be issuing an update on events later today.

Will they storm the Garda station to liberate them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If they do it really quickly, the gardai won't have time to put their hats on, so they can't arrest them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

ELM327 wrote: »
    If they do it really quickly, the gardai won't have time to put their hats on, so they can't arrest them.

Also, wonder how they'll get there - will they drive, or travel? :confused:

Also, wonder how they'll get there - will they drive, or travel? :confused:

It will depend on it being legal or lawful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Guys, please stop pretending that the whole uproar is about the lads coming from NI to evict people.

The likes of Ben Gilroy and the "anti eviction" crowd on facebook are against ALL EVICTIONS.

The video of the eviction which was shared by anti eviction facebook pages etc showed the guys claiming there was no court order. They were resisting the eviction, not resisting the eviction by lads from NI.

People should not be getting away with not paying their mortgage while most people work hard to pay theirs...

And if you are one of the people who can't afford a mortgage, blame these people who default on their loans and won't leave for high mortgage rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm hoping that they do. Sh|t will hit the fan then!

Pussyhands wrote: »

People should not be getting away with not paying their mortgage while most people work hard to pay theirs...

By the looks of it .. the trapasser in question isn’t a fan of paying anyone anything

Under ECHR law the debtors prisons can't be re-opened. People wat all these fancy laws and then complain when it doesn't suit them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭mikep

Here is a nice quote from PBP on the eviction:

"The reality however is that the cycle of violence was started by KBC.
    They sold off the ‘distressed’ loan to a US vulture fund, Cabot Financial Ireland. No doubt they offered these sharks a big discount – which the original owner never got."

No mention of the fact that the poor original owner had debts that he seems to have had no intention of paying and rebuffed all chances to settle things..

I love the 'distressed' bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Idiots! Why do they think KBC sell off mortgages? For the benefit of "vulture funds"?

If KBC could get the money from the one paying the mortgage they'd keep it.

It's telling that selling off these mortgages for "massive discounts" still makes more financial sense than whatever the mortgage holder would pay....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Pussyhands wrote:
    It's telling that selling off these mortgages for "massive discounts" still makes more financial sense than whatever the mortgage holder would pay....

It's only telling that everyone would stop paying their mortgage and demand a discount.

All the money loaned out is itself borrowed so simply a case of cutting losses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

mikep wrote: »
    Here is a nice quote from PBP on the eviction:

"The reality however is that the cycle of violence was started by KBC.
    They sold off the ‘distressed’ loan to a US vulture fund, Cabot Financial Ireland. No doubt they offered these sharks a big discount – which the original owner never got."

No mention of the fact that the poor original owner had debts that he seems to have had no intention of paying and rebuffed all chances to settle things..

I love the 'distressed' bit...

I hate the response from people about those buying the debt getting a discounted while the debtor didn't, if like some of those protesting got their way and that offer was made to the debtor then that would completely destroy the entire concept.

We'll pay if we want to pay, and if you don't like it offer us a discount.

Advertisement