Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Ram on my 8 year old laptop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

That ram is low voltage as is 1.35v and yours is 1.5v so these will not work. I believe also check with your local cex they can have what you need for little money also with guarantee also.

The L in the ddr3L is low voltage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Thanks jhud,

How do you know its 1.5V?

Would this be the RAM I need for my Dell 1749?
    https://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/studio-1749

Cheaper stuff on ebay searching for 8gb DDR3 PC3-12800
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=12&_osacat=0&_odkw=4gb+hynix+1.5v&_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.X8gb+DDR3+PC3-12800.TRS0&_nkw=8gb+DDR3+PC3-12800&_sacat=0

Anything to look out for when buying RAM are some brands better than others?

Some are unbufferd?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If the laptop is of that vintage have you confirmed its SATA3(6Gb) ? If not the benefit from an SSD is limited and its usually much better to change platform entirely.

ED E wrote: »
    If the laptop is of that vintage have you confirmed its SATA3(6Gb) ? If not the benefit from an SSD is limited and its usually much better to change platform entirely.

Do you think I would see benefit from upgrading the RAM from 4GB to 8GB?

My memory usage always seems to be around 80%?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Depends on what your needs are. If 8GB will make it usable for you great but if you solve the RAM problem and then its still too slow generally then its wasted cash.

Whats the machine?

ED E wrote: »
    Depends on what your needs are. If 8GB will make it usable for you great but if you solve the RAM problem and then its still too slow generally then its wasted cash.

Whats the machine?

Just use it for web browsing, its can lock up if too many tabs open.

Its a Dell Studio 1749, i5 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, Windows 10.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just use it for web browsing, its can lock up if too many tabs open.

Its a Dell Studio 1749, i5 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, Windows 10.

Just to add to your dilemma, you will need to check if your Windows is 32 or 64 bit. 32bit will only utilise the 4GB max.

delly wrote: »
    Just to add to your dilemma, you will need to check if your Windows is 32 or 64 bit. 32bit will only utilise the 4GB max.

You can upgrade to 64bit without issues but how old is the processor in the computer can you confirm its the i5 560m processor in this by going to computer or this pc and right clicking and selecting properties.

If this is the processor the issue would be its more then likely a sata 2 port for ssd and will be limited to 300mb rather then the 600mb the ssd would be capable of. This is a real draw back and would for me be wasted money and I would buy something else either new or secondhand instead.

I bought a Dell Latitude E5420 with i3 2nd gen windows 10 not hd screen so if netflix is needed would recommend hd screen and put ssd and extra 4GB ram and its fast. I only put a 120gb ssd in and its going strong over a year later.

Check out Adverts for secondhand ones make sure you check reviews i paid 100 for mine but it had no charger but came with 3 month warranty. Simplycomputers was user and had issue with laptop and he sent a replacement once i sent back the one i had so super warranty. He currently has no stock.

I have found crucial to be wrong on some before so used Kingstons one instead but they don't have every computer.

• Advertisement

delly wrote: »

Yes its 64 bit
    jhud wrote: »
    You can upgrade to 64bit without issues but how old is the processor in the computer can you confirm its the i5 560m processor in this by going to computer or this pc and right clicking and selecting properties.

If this is the processor the issue would be its more then likely a sata 2 port for ssd and will be limited to 300mb rather then the 600mb the ssd would be capable of. This is a real draw back and would for me be wasted money and I would buy something else either new or secondhand instead.

I bought a Dell Latitude E5420 with i3 2nd gen windows 10 not hd screen so if netflix is needed would recommend hd screen and put ssd and extra 4GB ram and its fast. I only put a 120gb ssd in and its going strong over a year later.

Check out Adverts for secondhand ones make sure you check reviews i paid 100 for mine but it had no charger but came with 3 month warranty. Simplycomputers was user and had issue with laptop and he sent a replacement once i sent back the one i had so super warranty. He currently has no stock.

Its an i5 520M 2.4Ghz(4 CPUs)

I have a spare SSD so will use that in this system even if SSD slowed down.
    I have found crucial to be wrong on some before so used Kingstons one instead but they don't have every computer.

Would you chance the brand i linked on ebay there?

Since you have ssd i would try upgrade with this first before ram and see if freezing is gone. Ram i would stick with crucial hynix and samsung i have found them in most dells over the years stick with 1066mhz pc8500 4gb chips as this is supposed to be fastest it can take.

Since you have ssd i would try upgrade with this first before ram and see if freezing is gone. Ram i would stick with crucial hynix and samsung i have found them in most dells over the years stick with 1066mhz pc8500 4gb chips as this is supposed to be fastest it can take.

Thanks jhud,

My memory usage is always above 80% though when multiple tabs open.

Do you think SSD could help with this without RAM upgrade?

Attached task manager picture

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Thanks jhud,

My memory usage is always above 80% though when multiple tabs open.

Do you think SSD could help with this without RAM upgrade?

Attached task manager picture

My laptop (i3, 6GB ram, Win 7 on SSD) currently has 8 Chrome tabs open and the the usage is showing as 73%. Task Manager is showing 19 different Chrome services running. Chrome is always a resource hog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Older sata standard limits the ability of an SSD but certainly not a waste of time like being are making out. It will still be way faster than your current HDD and given current prices, well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

FanadMan wrote: »
    My laptop (i3, 6GB ram, Win 7 on SSD) currently has 8 Chrome tabs open and the the usage is showing as 73%. Task Manager is showing 19 different Chrome services running. Chrome is always a resource hog.

How much of that 73% is in use with Chrome closed?

I opened 17 tabs on different sites here to compare.
    Usage ~3GBs
    I closed the browser and the usage is ~1GB

So the 17 tabs open used 2GBs here.

YMMV!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I have 6GB in my 7 year old laptop.

I was considering upgrading the 2GB dimm to an 8gb dimm to double the memory.
    But I see people here saying to only use Samsung or Crucial memory.
    Would this be ok? https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Crucial-8GB-2Rx8-PC3-10600S-DDR3-1333Mhz-SODIMM-Laptop-Memory-RAM-1-5V-204PIN/352525585706?hash=item5214298d2a:g:uFwAAOSw0~pb972c#shpCntId

It seems to be less than half the price of memory on elara, though its coming from china direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

I would check if you can get RAM from dell itself by using the service tag on the label underneath your laptop.

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/partsforyourdell/index

If you can get it from dell like this you know it will work. It may also give you an indication of just how much RAM Gb you can get into it. I would put the Maximum Gb that Dell suggests into it.

You should make sure that whatever you buy elsewhere matches the numbers for clock speed etc. that are given for any RAM upgrade that Dell offers for your laptop.

I would also have a good google and see whether others have gotten an SSD into that model and whether there were problems etc.

Crucial, Kingston, Corsair seem to be reasonably well thought of off the top of my head.

If you can upgrade it for 50 euro go ahead, if it costs 100+ euro then I think you are better putting that money into a new laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

I'm a bit confused now, that link says I need 1.35V RAM but other people were saying I need 1.5V RAM.

Can anyone tell me what volt RAM I have currently I posted a picture in original post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I'm a bit confused now, that link says I need 1.35V RAM but other people were saying I need 1.5V RAM.

Can anyone tell me what volt RAM I have currently I posted a picture in original post.

Can you take out one of the currently installed modules and check what it says on it? It should give an indication of the correct spec.

FanadMan wrote: »
    Can you take out one of the currently installed modules and check what it says on it? It should give an indication of the correct spec.

Posted an image in post one cant see voltage on it, might be on other side.

Posted an image in post one cant see voltage on it, might be on other side.

I read on two sites that this is 1.5v my first link stated 1.35v but when opened it stated 1.5v. Google part number on chip and it leads to websites to verify voltage for chip. So its 1.5v.

I read on two sites that this is 1.5v my first link stated 1.35v but when opened it stated 1.5v. Google part number on chip and it leads to websites to verify voltage for chip. So its 1.5v.

Thanks jhud

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Hynix-8GB-2X4GB-DDR3-1066Mhz-PC3-8500S-204pin-SODIMM-Laptop-RAM-Memory/233030694448?hash=item3641b63630:g:7pAAAOSw8cFb3jDL:rk:6:pf:0

Uk seller 99.9% reviews and shipping high if shipping to Ireland but free if you use parcel motel or parcel wizard to save a few more euros.

Have fun and nice christmas

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Hynix-8GB-2X4GB-DDR3-1066Mhz-PC3-8500S-204pin-SODIMM-Laptop-RAM-Memory/233030694448?hash=item3641b63630:g:7pAAAOSw8cFb3jDL:rk:6:pf:0

Uk seller 99.9% reviews and shipping high if shipping to Ireland but free if you use parcel motel or parcel wizard to save a few more euros.

Have fun and nice christmas

Perfect thanks jhud.

Great stuff :)

Merry Christmas

Advertisement