Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working holiday Visa with an Engineering degree

Options
  • 16-12-2018 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,
    Excuse my ignorance on all this but I’m aiming for Australia around September 2019.

Im 24 and have a level 8 in mechatronic Engineering with 5 years experience and a pretty good CV for this line of work.

Jobs are plentiful in this area in Ireland so I’m more going for the change and travel for a year or so than to make my fortune but My main question is, would there be any hope of working in this area or would I be looking at bar work or construction?

My area is very electrical based and I design and wire electrical panels for machines on a regular basis. I am not a qualified electrician by trade but would be well able to wire a house. Would there be any chance of working as an electrician over there? I would assume you’d need to be a qualified electrician.

Any information is much appreciated.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Nortech wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Excuse my ignorance on all this but I’m aiming for Australia around September 2019.

Im 24 and have a level 8 in mechatronic Engineering with 5 years experience and a pretty good CV for this line of work.

Jobs are plentiful in this area in Ireland so I’m more going for the change and travel for a year or so than to make my fortune but My main question is, would there be any hope of working in this area or would I be looking at bar work or construction?

My area is very electrical based and I design and wire electrical panels for machines on a regular basis. I am not a qualified electrician by trade but would be well able to wire a house. Would there be any chance of working as an electrician over there? I would assume you’d need to be a qualified electrician.

Any information is much appreciated.
    Thank you.

How did you manage to become a mechatronics engineer at 19? (24 years old with 5 years experience)

I'm not sure what the demand for mechatronics engineers is like in Australia but I think you would have more luck seeking jobs as an electrical engineer. I am currently working as an electrician in Australia but returning to Ireland next year to study electrical engineering. My first choice was mechatronics but I was advised against it because there is more demand for electrical engineers.

To be honest there wouldn't be a hope in hell of you getting a job as an electrician here having not done an apprenticeship. Even after doing an apprenticeship in Ireland it is still alot of hassle getting an electrical licence in Australia. You may however be able to pick up some work with a company that builds electrical panels.

Advertisement