Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you put 'moderator' on your resume?

• 16-12-2018 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭

If you were a moderator of any forum would you put it on your resume?

Being a mod of some forums like personal issues or a tech site is definitely a tough and commendable job with a lot of responsibility. But there are definitely negatives to it, it seems a little nerdy now and you never know who you banned.

So, would put being a moderator on you resume?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

CV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,465 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

You lost me at resume

Oranage2 wrote: »
    If you were a moderator of any forum would you put it on your resume?

Being a mod of some forums like personal issues or a tech site is definitely a tough and commendable job with a lot of responsibility. But there are definitely negatives to it, it seems a little nerdy now and you never know who you banned.

So, would put being a moderator on you resume?

Maybe for stackexchange / stackoverflow but then you'd be adding your profile anyway if you got to that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I have it on my cv and I'm not even a mod. Muhahahaaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

If you’re resorting to list Mod on a CV, Your up river without a paddle.

• Advertisement

I recall about 10 years ago a very active Wikipedia editor had his CV online and in it he had 'Wikipedia editor'. In fairness to him, he must have spent years of his life editing all the Irish history articles and has since set up a very interesting website on Irish history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,912 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Would be beyond pathetic

A guy was hired to a very senior technical position. The head of department marveled at his stackoverflow profile. I'm reliably informed that previously applied for a different job in the same comany but couldn't do anything in the whiteboard test (not even fizzbuzz).

Knock on effect, you get someone like that then interviewing people, first thing they do is snip the technical questions in interviews. In come more people with - well with great stackoverflow profiles.

Interesting. I have a good profile and used to be tagged for a couple of niche areas. I've never worked in web dev but always thought it would be a good thing to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If I saw resume on a CV I'd bin it :) Clearly being a forum mod is the least important role anyone will ever have in a life so I'd laugh if I saw it listed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

I'd say mod-ing is not a real job unless you're getting money for your time, or if the forum is hosted on one of your own side projects websites and has some revenue.

So if you're adding mod-ing guess can be added for a volunteering work section - is that what you had in mind ? I wouldn't do it personally cause I don't need to fill gaps.

But anyway, maybe can work if it has anything to do with the role you're applying ...
    - I've seen worse than mod-ing: someone mentioning a Lourdes pilgrimage on the voluntary work & he was applying for a tech lead role ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

What do you mean would you ?

It's the only item on my CV

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’d be very weary of giving a role to anyone who had included moderator in their CV. The same would go for things like competitive computer game player; dungeons and dragons guild master, Wikipedia editor. If they have a neckbeard then absolutely zero chance whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

listed under "fetishes"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Not a moderator, if they designed or owned a very well known and innovative website then maybe itd be worth something but moderator or boards or reddit is definiely not something id put down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Flagging the fact you spend all day on the Internet to a potential employer. What could possibly go wrong.

I’d be very weary of giving a role to anyone who had included moderator in their CV.

Wary, the word is wary.

weary v. wary

Wary, the word is wary.

weary v. wary

Sorry pal, very hungover. Was out last night and drank about 15 pints. Not at my sharpest today. Apologies if it annoyed you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Depends what you're applying for.

Community moderators and social media management is a big deal now and not considered nerdy.

I know someone who landed a pretty good job based on being a boards mod.

Maybe you're posting from 10-15 years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Wary, the word is wary.

weary v. wary

Maybe he's tired.

• Advertisement

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Depends what you're applying for.

Community moderators and social media management is a big deal now and not considered nerdy.

I know someone who landed a pretty good job based on being a boards mod.

If someone thought a moderators position on an online community was relevant to a job application I would exclude him from the process. I interview regularly and think that it’s crazy. I don’t discount a moderators job on here is no easy feat, but cmon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

If someone thought a moderators position on an online community was relevant to a job application I would exclude him from the process. I interview regularly and think that it’s crazy. I don’t discount a moderators job on here is no easy feat, but cmon.

Odd attitude. It's a huge skill if you've any kind of input into social media issues, conflict resolution, internal communication and all sorts of other things.

I wouldn't put someone with those kinds of biases on a recruitment panel.

I mean it wouldn't make much sense if you were applying for a job as a forklift truck driver but for many jobs in business contexts it does.

Also you could go look at their decisions. If they were a totally irrational moderator on a public forum it would say a lot about what you were about to hire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Friend of mine was doing interviews for some factory operator roles. One of the candidates was a guy in his mid-20s who had never worked before. One of his skills listed was "Good at making friends on XBox Live"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Friend of mine was doing interviews for some factory operator roles. One of the candidates was a guy in his mid-20s who had never worked before. One of his skills listed was "Good at making friends on XBox Live"

Fcuk.off!

Seriously?

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Odd attitude. It's a huge skill if you've any kind of input into social media issues, conflict resolution, internal communication and all sorts of other things.

I wouldn't put someone with those kinds of biases on a recruitment panel.

I mean it wouldn't make much sense if you were applying for a job as a forklift truck driver but for many jobs in business contexts it does.

Also you could go look at their decisions. If they were a totally irrational moderator on a public forum it would say a lot about what you were about to hire.

Thank god I own my own company and don’t seek your approval for the panel. This isnt real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

For certain mods there would be the chance they’d banned the interviewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Turtyturd wrote: »
    For certain mods there would be the chance they’d banned the interviewer.

Ah now.

I'd show him my official Fifa yellow card first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Fcuk.off!

Seriously?

Yep.

To add, this was done in a jurisdiction where employment laws are intended to favour locals. Employers are legally required to submit an explanation why a non-local got a job over a local. I'd say my friend had some laugh filling that bit out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Technically speaking, an inanimate carbon rod is a good moderator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

What if the guy interviewing you was someone you banned while you were on a power trip?you'd be screwed then.

Sorry pal, very hungover. Was out last night and drank about 15 pints.

Once again you're still the coolest and consistently most original 15-year-old on this website, FlutterinBantam/RumpyPumpy/Pintman Paddy Losty/etc etc etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

A guy I used to work with had an internal interview in our company, a part of the company that he really, really wanted to transfer to. He told us, without embarrassment, that when asked “Where do you see yourself in five years?”, he replied “I’d love to be a skiing instructor by then”. Naturally he didn’t get the job. He was really stupid.

Once again you're still the coolest and consistently most original 15-year-old on this website, FlutterinBantam/RumpyPumpy/Pintman Paddy Losty/etc etc etc etc.

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Oranage2 wrote: »

now theres a name I've not heard in a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A guy I used to work with had an internal interview in our company, a part of the company that he really, really wanted to transfer to. He told us, without embarrassment, that when asked “Where do you see yourself in five years?”, he replied “I’d love to be a skiing instructor by then”. Naturally he didn’t get the job. He was really stupid.

Any chance your company has a ski school?

Follow up question. Was he able to ski? Or was the intervening 5 years to be spent learning?

• Advertisement

Any chance your company has a ski school?

Follow up question. Was he able to ski? Or was the intervening 5 years to be spent learning?

Definitely didn’t have a ski school. Was a science-related company.

He could ski. But no, no ski school in the company. It was just him confusing the question for “What would your dream job be?”.

The correct answer would show commitment to his current workplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

At least it was better then the Garreth Keenan answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Bin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, in chronological date order of which forums I modded, when I modded then and a detailed score count for each - # of bans handed out, # of red & yellow cards, # of threads locked.
    I also provide a self-rating for the quality of my moderator directions during my tenure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Given you should tailor your CV for the role you are applying for I would only say I was if the job I was applying for needed those skills. I did put it on one application for a community moderator I went for years ago however for the industry I actually work in I would say it would be seen as counterproductive mentioning it. If I was interviewing anyone for the line of work I am involved in I would be wary of them mentioning it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

You sound a bit backed up there, chum? Hmmm....?

Might be no harm to let the hair down, release the inner West Brit that you keep so carefully stored away.

Go on. You know you want to. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I wouldn't think it's advisable usually, however...
    If I saw resume on a CV I'd bin it :) Clearly being a forum mod is the least important role anyone will ever have in a life so I'd laugh if I saw it listed.
    But they said social media community management is actually a job now (which it is) - if a person was a moderator and they said it in an application for such a role, how would it make sense to exclude them, and surely they would be correct in thinking it's relevant to the role?

Any other job though, no.
    Try_harder wrote: »
    Bin
    On this thread and the one with the guy trying to find a job, there are all these cool folks saying "I'd put the CV in the bin". If they were an excellent, highly skilled, highly qualified and accomplished candidate otherwise, no you wouldn't. And before you come back and say you would? No you wouldn't.

Shur numerous hiring folk here saying they would exclude someone from the application spend loads of time on Boards themselves and they're doing ok in their careers obviously - projection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Hobbies listed on a CV should only consist of interests relating to self improvement: Sports, reading literature, political activism and so on. "Moderating an internet forum" would, for me, be akin to "going to the pub" or "watching superhero films" and shouldn't be placed on the CV accordingly.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Hobbies listed on a CV should only consist of interests relating to self improvement: Sports, reading literature, political activism and so on. "Moderating an internet forum" would, for me, be akin to "going to the pub" or "watching superhero films" and shouldn't be placed on the CV accordingly.

Political activism? That would be another red flag for me. Some lad saying he’s a member of People Before Profit and a contributor to ‘Violent Revolution’ magazine would mean the CV was going straight into the shredder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

peasant wrote: »
    What do you mean would you ?

It's the only item on my CV
    On your resume.

We're all Americaning things here now.

Political activism? That would be another red flag for me. Some lad saying he’s a member of People Before Profit and a contributor to ‘Violent Revolution’ magazine would mean the CV was going straight into the shredder.
    The planet is dying and some of us give a **** about the world we leave behind. I'll die a happy man knowing I tried to make a difference when the human species is leading itself into a veritable climatial shoah, choking and sputtering toward extinction.

The planet is dying and some of us give a **** about the world we leave behind. I'll die a happy man knowing I tried to make a difference when the human species is leading itself into a veritable climatial shoah, choking and sputtering toward extinction.

Ya, good for you. Don’t think many would disagree. It doesn’t mean you put your political allegiances on your CV. That’s not a wise thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

It surely depends on whether it's relevant to the job? If you want to work in a social media field, it's definitely relevant.

It's better than putting on "excellent communications skills" and then turning up to the interview to punctuate every sentence with "like," "ummm," "ahh," "you know." Or putting on that you know how to use Microsoft Word. Well, who doesn't...

I’m amazed that anyone puts hobbies on their CV. There’s usually barely enough space to fit in jobs and a description of each. CVs should be succinct. Does a potential employer really need to hear that I like cycling, watching films, reading, cooking and travelling? Those hobbies and interests are pretty generic. What would it tell them about me?

Ya, good for you. Don’t think many would disagree. It doesn’t mean you put your political allegiances on your CV. That’s not a wise thing to do.
    Well I have the courage of my convictions. C'est la vie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement