Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hap scheme

Options
  • 16-12-2018 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question in relation to hap scheme. If I have a tenant who is on hap scheme, are they entitle to any other income form the state for being a single parent? Or does the hap scheme cover all income from the state?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

duffysfarm wrote: »
    Just a quick question in relation to hap scheme. If I have a tenant who is on hap scheme, are they entitle to any other income form the state for being a single parent? Or does the hap scheme cover all income from the state?

That's none of your business tbh. State benefits vary from person to person based on their circumstances and means.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

It is my business if I am renting a house to some one on hap and I am trying to determine the suitability of the prospective tenant
    I am on here to ask a very simple question not to debate the rights and wrongs on the system in Ireland. If you want to troll some one then go annoy some one else.
    .Thanks very much anyway for your useless input.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jwright118

I've heard of people on up to 32-35k a year in their job, being eligible for hap. A friend of mine is in this situation, but can't find a landlord who'll accept it. Shows what a joke it is, the state will throw our tax money at someone who earns thank kind of money already. He's "entitled " to 660e a month, go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It is my business if I am renting a house to some one on hap and I am trying to determine the suitability of the prospective tenant
    I am on here to ask a very simple question not to debate the rights and wrongs on the system in Ireland. If you want to troll some one then go annoy some one else.

They can have other income and qualify for HAP or only get state payments and still qualify for HAP. Regardless of them being on HAP or not you should be looking for the other information to make a decision, not forgetting that regardless of their income source if they don't pay the council you get nothing and due to data protection the council won't even tell you you won't get anything or why.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

HAP just covers rent. Obviously tenant has other income. This can be wages from a job or any number of different social welfare benefits. If she is a lone parent with a child I think up to 13 she gets loan parents. I think if her youngest child is over 13 she will get regular social welfare payments but not the loan parents part. I could be wrong on the age of the child but nearly positive they lowered it to 13 nearly 10 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Caranica wrote: »
    That's none of your business tbh.
    Consider that the person has said that they can top up the HAP payment with other income from the state, and that the OP is on here confirming that they are not talking through their arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

the_syco wrote: »
    Consider that the person has said that they can top up the HAP payment with other income from the state, and that the OP is on here confirming that they are not talking through their arse.

The OP is not allowed to discriminate against someone on HAP by law. They can request evidence of ability to pay in the same way as any other prospective tenant. But as I said, there's no blanket answer to the question asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

The OP is not allowed to discriminate against someone on HAP by law. They can request evidence of ability to pay in the same way as any other prospective tenant. But as I said, there's no blanket answer to the question asked.

A landlord can ask what is the tenants income and ask for proof. They can ask for bank statements to see if they are receiving financial assistance or working. They can check if they go into their overdraft if they have one.
    Once you start talking to them you will soon find out how they support themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

the only person on here talking about discriminating is you.
    your replies are totally off topic and of no relevance to my original question.

You can ask for 6 payslips and proof on income if you want. Don't forget Facebook, and previous cases on rtb are a great source of information.

Be careful with hap as there is a 22page document the inspector goes through and it could be costly for you. The house could be perfect for a private tenant or yourself but not suitable for a hap tenant.

I am in a position now where the x tenant was on hap and just walked out and left the place in a mess. If they are on social they can up and leave and move with no consequences. Another person said there I might get a 5 per week but it would cost a few grand in legal fees.

Pm d you just now.

• Advertisement

machalla wrote: »

So now landlords are blamed for a tenants mental state. This is getting silly.
    Can we as landlords sue a tenant for our mental state has been affected if they dont pay the rent or cause anti social behavior or leave a trail of destruction behind? If that was the case there would be many landlords taking cases in the court.
    It is your choice who you rent your house to and if they can afford the rent.

These tenants bringing cases do not realise that if the landlord gets an inspection on the property(22page check list) and there is a huge list of things to be done but the house is suitable for another tenant not on hap they could be out on their ear anyway. The landlord might not be able to afford the changes. Also if the changes have to be done then the tenant will have to find somewhere else to live as the work cannot be done with the tenant in situ.
    I have heard of cases where the landlord is told magnolia is not suitable and to paint freshly painted walls with something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

machalla wrote: »
    tvjunki wrote: »
    So now landlords are blamed for a tenants mental state. This is getting silly.
    No. This is just a silly landlord saying that they won't take HAP. SAYING that they don't take HAP is illegal. Every story I've seen so far was due to the landlord stating that they don't accept HAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

the_syco wrote: »
    No. This is just a silly landlord saying that they won't take HAP. SAYING that they don't take HAP is illegal. Every story I've seen so far was due to the landlord stating that they don't accept HAP.

The obvious issue is that the adjudicator simply didn't buy his story about family moving in.

And that landlords family "were only moving in to duck HAP" in the view of the adjudicator.

Not her exact words but that appears to be her thinking.

The landlord also dug a hole for himself by saying

"The sister wouldnt accept HAP and would be moving in".

The moving in is fine - but the sister saying she wouldnt accept the HAP is like a red flag to a bull to the adjudicator that the move in was just to avoid HAP.

What's likely to happen in future imo is that the family member will in a case like this be expected to show an actual need for the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FelaniaMump

You can't determine someones suitability by their benefits.

You seem unsuitable to be a landlord seeing as you don't understand HAP or benefits or what is and is not your business.

FYI, HAP is not connected in anyway to any other state benefits. Someone on HAP may or may not have other supports. Most people on HAP are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FelaniaMump

jwright118 wrote: »
    I've heard of people on up to 32-35k a year in their job, being eligible for hap. A friend of mine is in this situation, but can't find a landlord who'll accept it. Shows what a joke it is, the state will throw our tax money at someone who earns thank kind of money already. He's "entitled " to 660e a month, go figure.

Well yes because someone on 32 k a year can't afford the 1.5-2k a month rents to house their family, and feed that family as well. Why shouldn't they get support to do so? What would you prefer happen...they choose between housing or feeding their children?

Well yes because someone on 32 k a year can't afford the 1.5-2k a month rents to house their family, and feed that family as well. Why shouldn't they get support to do so? What would you prefer happen...they choose between housing or feeding their children?

Yes exactly.

1500 per month is 18000 a year.

This leaves only 14 k a year for everything else....

So school costs, commute costs, food and other bills must come from that.

I suspect the 32 to 35 k figure is linked to the social housing criteria

As a matter of fact these were the 2016 social housing limits

Advertisement