Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

eagle eye wrote: »
    I can tell you with 100 % certainty that these two men were not burglars. In fact neither of them have ever committed a crime in their lives.
    There was a burglar who committed a crime in the area on the day after just being released from jail in Castlerea. I've been told that he had been arrested quite a while before this incident took place.
    The problem these two gentleman have is that they had drank alcohol before this incident happened which puts the Garda at an advantage as to who is telling the truth.
    I've been told that the older gentleman ended up with two broken jaws. I was also told that the younger man ran into the house of someone he knew and asked them to call the Gardaí as he was afraid he was going to kill his friend. He then went back out and attempted to restrain the Garda until his colleagues arrived.
    These two lads are local men who have never been in trouble in their lives. One is in his mid thirties, the other in his sixties.
    I'm not saying that all the above lis what actually happened, it's the other side of the story and the reason that there were protests in Castlerea. These two men would be very well respected in their locality.

You're right. I misread it. I'd believe the guard though. Sounds like they got aggressive when the guard tried to talk to them. I doubt the guard jumped out of his car and attacked them like it has been claimed.

I'd say the guard tried to talk to them, they didn't want to stop and got aggressive and a fight broke out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

riemann wrote: »
    Maybe do a little less assuming and a little more reading.

Just a suggestion.
    Is this in relation to something that happened to 150 years ago? They were okay to borrow from the foreigners, but didn't want to pay the full amount that they owed?
    Yeah makes total sense to kick people out of their homes during an accommodation crisis. Especially the elderly.
    So the foreign banks should just what? Expect that they don't get their money back if those in debt don't pay up before a certain age?
    the use of security personnel in evictions, especially ones from the north who it seems are unregulated in ireland, personnel who it is alleged have or had links to extreme elements of loyalism, does on the other hand generate lots of discussion, as many are concerned by the practice, especially in a case where it looks as if it could have been forseen that there may have been issues.
    Maybe. Or maybe the foreign bank read up on it, read about the GFA, and thought that all was good.
    Let's just hope that both the KBC and the (ex) UDA have learned something from the exercise
    Bring guns next time? Lets see how brave a mob is when they start dropping like flies.
    Effects wrote: »
    The house and land were a guarantee on a loan their nephew took out, not them.
    Where did you see that? Have read that it was due to them remortgaging their house to pay for a farm expansion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Exactly.

That would never happen. Nonsense to even suggest the banks would treat anyone differently, or make them pay more if they think they're a riskier gamble.

Anyway, I'm off to get insurance on my 15 year old car...

Banks wouldn't lend to farmers at all practically in the early years of the state. The state has to set up a bank,the Agricultural Credit Corporation (ACC) in order to facilitate credit access for farmers.

I could see it going that way again, that family farms would not be acceptable collateral for a loan.

STB. wrote: »
    They managed to do a little more than that. Retired Garda Kevin Taylor - a friend of the McGann family claimed he was assaulted and punched “20 or 30 times” by aggressive bailiffs hired by KBC Bank on Tuesday.

KBC engaged what now appears to be a shady NI outfit that managed to stir up the local community. It was reckless and irresponsible of the bank and AGS should have advised of potential backlash. How many successful and peaceful evictions occur on a daily basis ?

There are now all kinds of criminal investigations pending.

The retired guard should have know better to fight during a legitimate evection. Got what he deserved. Anyone who didn't leave the house when the banks lads arrived deserved a beating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Someone referred to it as being the nephew with the owners of the property being guarantors for the loan. I can't see that this is correct. It doesn't add up on many fronts but fundamentally it would be monumentally naive for someone to put their house up as collateral for another persons borrowing.

You seemed to imply that they took a loan and maybe squandered it, I just wondered how you knew that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

who put their property in other peoples hands as collateral?

Ok, let's stop the ****ehawkery. Throw up your version of the story instead of your "I'll throw in a question to show that I know something then show you I think your wrong with another question" crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

GarIT wrote:
    I'd say the guard tried to talk to them, they didn't want to stop and got aggressive and a fight broke out.
    Well if there is a recording of a phone call from one of them saying that his friend is being beaten to a pulp outside then it changes things.

GarIT wrote: »
    The retired guard should have know better to fight during a legitimate evection. Got what he deserved. Anyone who didn't leave the house when the banks lads arrived deserved a beating.

How do you know the retired Guard was fighting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Have you lived under a rock for the last 15 years? The banks have the sole responsibility to determine if a person should be lent money.

No, the sole responsibility does not lie with the Bank. They do have to carry out stress tests, etc but ultimately the borrower approached the bank to seek a mortgage.

There is not a single case where a borrower has successfully sued a bank for reckless lending and there is no single case where a borrower has successgully defended themselves when the bank sued by claiming the bank was reckless in giving them the mortgage.

If it's good enough for the High Court, then it's good enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

They managed to do a little more than that. Retired Garda Kevin Taylor - a friend of the McGann family claimed he was assaulted and punched “20 or 30 times” by aggressive bailiffs hired by KBC Bank on Tuesday.

KBC engaged what now appears to be a shady NI outfit that managed to stir up the local community. It was reckless and irresponsible of the bank and AGS should have advised of potential backlash. How many successful and peaceful evictions occur on a daily basis ?

There are now all kinds of criminal investigations pending.

What were onlookers there for? Shouldn't people be minding their own business?

• Advertisement

Ok, let's stop the ****ehawkery. Throw up your version of the story instead of your "I'll throw in a question to show that I know something then show you I think your wrong with another question" crap.

You seem to be making statements that you are not able to back up, your above posts is confusing but a good indication of your state of mind.

I can tell you with 100 % certainty that these two men were not burglars. In fact neither of them have ever committed a crime in their lives.
    There was a burglar who committed a crime in the area on the day after just being released from jail in Castlerea. I've been told that he had been arrested quite a while before this incident took place.
    The problem these two gentleman have is that they had drank alcohol before this incident happened which puts the Garda at an advantage as to who is telling the truth.
    I've been told that the older gentleman ended up with two broken jaws. I was also told that the younger man ran into the house of someone he knew and asked them to call the Gardaí as he was afraid he was going to kill his friend. He then went back out and attempted to restrain the Garda until his colleagues arrived.
    These two lads are local men who have never been in trouble in their lives. One is in his mid thirties, the other in his sixties.
    I'm not saying that all the above lis what actually happened, it's the other side of the story and the reason that there were protests in Castlerea. These two men would be very well respected in their locality.

Are they claiming the gard jumped put of the car and attacked them? That whole bit missing from the story is fairly important.

If you're getting arrested and know you didn't do anything, getting aggressive with the person arresting you is rarely going to deescalate the situation. Particularly if you outnumber them.

Well if there is a recording of a phone call from one of them saying that his friend is being beaten to a pulp outside then it changes things.

That definitely would, I hadn't read that. Seem really unusual though.

How do you know the retired Guard was fighting?

Because he got hurt.

You seemed to imply that they took a loan and maybe squandered it, I just wondered how you knew that.

No sorry, I;ve no insight other than whhat's in the papers and facebook. Some other poster said it was the nephews loan and the owners who got evicted were only guarantors and i thought that was what you were asking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

No, the sole responsibility does not lie with the Bank. They do have to carry out stress tests, etc but ultimately the borrower approached the bank to seek a mortgage.

There is not a single case where a borrower has successfully sued a bank for reckless lending and there is no single case where a borrower has successgully defended themselves when the bank sued by claiming the bank was reckless in giving them the mortgage.

If it's good enough for the High Court, then it's good enough for me.

You are trying to say there has been no reckless lending in Ireland?

That was central to a lot of irresponsible lending....oh, you may not be able to repay this debt??? So let's charge even more then!

I'd be of the opinion that irresponsible lending and irresponsible borrowing are much the same thing.

Regardless, at the end of the day, the bank will give you loads of money, but they will charge you interest. This interest is what makes it worthwhile giving you the loan. It's how they profit from it. Perfectly reasonable business model.

If the bank suddenly realises that there's a greater chance of you being unable to repay the loan, they can do one of two things, either increase the interest amount, so they can profit more from the loan early on in the case of you defaulting, and to make it more worth their while taking the risk, or, even simpler, they can just refuse to engage with you and let you find someone else to give you the money.

Ultimately, this kind of carry on just makes farmers in general look bad, and won't endear them to any banks/lending institutes. More often than not, when you hear this kinda story, it's farm/er related (I believe Meath had a version of this story recently, too, and was it in Kerry/Cork before that?).

The farmers doing the irresponsible borrowing now, and then 'sticking it to the man' are only hurting the next generation that's following them, as those are the ones who will be carrying the burden if the Banks don't want to deal with them anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Are you for real ?

I think you better read up before you make anymore unsubstantiated and potentially libelous allegations.

The "bank lads" were infact an unregulated security firm. There was no high court order produced whatsoever according to the news reports I have read.

And no that did not give them the right to beat anyone.
    What were onlookers there for? Shouldn't people be minding their own business?

I guess they were neighbours. Who are you you say whose business it was ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

We are facing mass demonstrations and riots over the housing crisis in the country. Ok Strokestown was about a farm property, but it’s all interlinked with the housing and property issue. Not a matter of if, but when. These will make the water charges disturbances seem like nothing in comparison.

You seem to be making statements that you are not able to back up, your above posts is confusing but a good indication of your state of mind.

Nope. Someone on here said something happened. In the absence of proof, all people can do is reply to that.You however , said nothing, just asked questions and then replied with more questions,

• Advertisement

You are trying to say there has been no reckless lending in Ireland?

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that claiming this (whether it's true or not) is not a way to avoid having to pay the bank back nor is it a way to avoid the bank trying to realise their security.

I'd be of the opinion that irresponsible lending and irresponsible borrowing are much the same thing.

Regardless, at the end of the day, the bank will give you loads of money, but they will charge you interest. This interest is what makes it worthwhile giving you the loan. It's how they profit from it. Perfectly reasonable business model.

If the bank suddenly realises that there's a greater chance of you being unable to repay the loan, they can do one of two things, either increase the interest amount, so they can profit more from the loan early on in the case of you defaulting, and to make it more worth their while taking the risk, or, even simpler, they can just refuse to engage with you and let you find someone else to give you the money.

Ultimately, this kind of carry on just makes farmers in general look bad, and won't endear them to any banks/lending institutes. More often than not, when you hear this kinda story, it's farm/er related (I believe Meath had a version of this story recently, too, and was it in Kerry/Cork before that?).

The farmers doing the irresponsible borrowing now, and then 'sticking it to the man' are only hurting the next generation that's following them, as those are the ones who will be carrying the burden if the Banks don't want to deal with them anymore.

I don't see KBC having a flood of new customers knocking down their doors after this either

Bad businesses need to fail or at least be punished. Not getting the full amount they lent out is part of that. Frankly they deserve some punishment.
    Bail outs and protecting bondholders means the banks have no incentive to tighten up on their own bad behaviour and you end up with a disproportionate number of evictions.

The only difference between the irresponsible lenders and borrowers is that the banks are supposed to be the money experts

Are you for real ?

I think you better read up before you make anymore unsubstantiated allegations.

The "bank lads" were infact an unregulated security firm. Nowhere are you allowed to beat anyone. There was no high court order produced whatsoever according to the news reports I have read.

I'd be surprised if they suddenly burst in and started kicking the ****e out of anyone. Even if they did I'd be much less on their side but they're still in the right. If you're in a house that the high court have said is to be repossessed and you're putting up a fight about it you deserve what you get. Bring in that house was no different than being a burglar anywhere else.

Are you for real ?

I think you better read up before you make anymore unsubstantiated and potentially libelous allegations.

The "bank lads" were infact an unregulated security firm. There was no high court order produced whatsoever according to the news reports I have read.

And no that did not give them the right to beat anyone.

RTE reported that the eviction was on the back of a High Court order. Nothing about no order being produced, but I think other reports confirmed that the sheriff took possession. The Sheriff will only operate off a Court order.

There is no evidence that anyone was punched or beaten on video. There was one guy trying to punch the security guys but they seemed to grad his hands as he was windmilling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

is it not true to say that one of these two men is very active in the protest movement ?anti water anti banks anti government whatever the protest of the day ?

i think they would not be as well respected as you think , or only respected by a certain type of person

I don't see KBC having a flood of new customers knocking down their doors after this either

Yeah, the people will all head over to the bank that don't look to take the house when you stop paying for it.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that claiming this (whether it's true or not) is not a way to avoid having to pay the bank back nor is it a way to avoid the bank trying to realise their security.

I'm not disputing a bank shouldn't be repaid. My problem is with the manner this eviction was carried out. Trust me, someone in kbc is getting fired in the morning over this. P r nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The people who got evicted claimed that there was no high court order produced. I'll take hat they say with a pinch of salt.
    JupiterKid wrote: »
    We are facing mass demonstrations and riots over the housing crisis in the country. Not a matter of if, but when. These will make the water charges disturbances seem like nothing in comparison.
    Houses are needed, but people aren't paying their mortgages, and renters who don't pay rent take an age to evict. Thus banks will lend less, and landlords will leave the market. Leaving the market with less people buying houses, and less rooms to rent.

The mass demonstrations and riots will achieve nothing.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the people will all head over to the bank that don't look to take the house when you stop paying for it.

Or the one that doesn't employ former loyalist paramilitaries as their muscle

I'm not disputing a bank shouldn't be repaid. My problem is with the manner this eviction was carried out. Trust me, someone in kbc is getting fired in the morning over this. P r nightmare.

It's poor pr but nobody's getting fired.

Everybody with a KBC loan now knows that KBC mean business when it comes to repayment.

Long term maybe they want to get that message out.

Your references to reckless lending seem to suggest otherwise. I'm just saying reckless lending is no defence as someone else has mentioned, reckless borrowing took place to the same degree.

An eviction in a Bank, particularly in the current climate would have been planned to a tee so I doubt heads will roll in the bank in the morning. KBC knew the risks and they do have a PR sh*tstorm alright but I doubt anyone expected this to happen

It's poor pr but nobody's getting fired.

Everybody with a KBC loan now knows that KBC mean business when it comes to repayment.

Long term maybe they want to get that message out.

They are a bank. Not the mafia. Good luck with a customer experience strategy that involves scaring that **** out of your customers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

wow

ok, i`ll need to go a step back for you. I`ll do it, but just for you.
    The were lending irresponsibly, they would not have gone bust if they were lending responsibly. Their Irish arm were making a loss due to this.

They would not have needed a bailout if they lent responsibly. People wouldnt be being evicted if they had of lent responsibly.

Its not a great look, condescending to someone, but saying "had of".

Just for you and only for you mind, its 'had have' - or at a push - 'had've'

I'd be surprised if they suddenly burst in and started kicking the ****e out of anyone. Even if they did I'd be much less on their side but they're still in the right. If you're in a house that the high court have said is to be repossessed and you're putting up a fight about it you deserve what you get. Bring in that house was no different than being a burglar anywhere else.

That's a little different from what you said.

Nothing would surprise me and I can only go on what I have read in the newspapers.

You meanwhile are making unsubstantiated claims about the behaviour of a retired member of AGS who has made extensive statements to the media.

Regardless of what your own views are on acceptable behaviour for repossessions, I only mentioned the part about what you have claimed for your own good. Think before you type!

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the repossessions Dept in KBC tomorrow when they deal with the aftermath of how this went so wrong.

0_JS171126670.jpg
    the_syco wrote: »
    The people who got evicted claimed that there was no high court order produced. I'll take hat they say with a pinch of salt.
    It was a quote I saw attributed to the retired Garda. I'm sure he saw many in his time.

“He made out this document was a court order. All I could see was KBC printing over it and small print.

“It was definitely not a court order because if you saw a court order you’d be able to see if it was a High Court order or a Circuit Court order, it’d be written on the top.

“There was no court order whatsoever. He wouldn’t expose it fully, he just gave us a small glimpse and then he closed it.

• Advertisement

Houses are needed, but people aren't paying their mortgages, and renters who don't pay rent take an age to evict. Thus banks will lend less, and landlords will leave the market. Leaving the market with less people buying houses, and less rooms to rent.

The mass demonstrations and riots will achieve nothing.

We need landlords to leave the market, home ownership rates are fluttering at record lows
    https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/home-ownership-rate

Less lending means cheaper prices. Nobody gives a damn about a repo on an investment property - the more the merrier. Bring it on

Your references to reckless lending seem to suggest otherwise. I'm just saying reckless lending is no defence as someone else has mentioned, reckless borrowing took place to the same degree.

An eviction in a Bank, particularly in the current climate would have been planned to a tee so I doubt heads will roll in the bank in the morning. KBC knew the risks and they do have a PR sh*tstorm alright but I doubt anyone expected this to happen

Planned to a tee? Looks like the complete opposite

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its not a great look, condescending to someone, but saying "had of".

Just for you and only for you mind, its 'had have' - or at a push - 'had've'

Do you feel better now?

Planned to a tee? Looks like the complete opposite

25 security guys were reported as at the initial eviction with the Gardai blocking off local roads also. With the Sheriff and his bailiffs too. That's three groups coordinated to attend on the day. If that's not highly planned i don't know what is.

We need landlords to leave the market, home ownership rates are fluttering at record lows
    https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/home-ownership-rate

Less lending means cheaper prices. Nobody gives a damn about a repo on an investment property - the more the merrier. Bring it on

You must be the only person in the country that has not heard of the shortage of rental accommodation right now.

• Advertisement

That's a little different from what you said.

Nothing would surprise me and I can only go on what I have read in the newspapers.

You meanwhile are making unsubstantiated claims about the behaviour of a retired member of AGS who has made extensive statements to the media.

Regardless of what your own views are on acceptable behaviour for repossessions, I only mentioned the part about what you have claimed for your own good. Think before you type!

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the repossessions Dept in KBC tomorrow when they deal with the aftermath of how this went so wrong.

0_JS171126670.jpg

It was a quote I saw attributed to the retired Garda. I'm sure he saw many in his time.

“He made out this document was a court order. All I could see was KBC printing over it and small print.

“It was definitely not a court order because if you saw a court order you’d be able to see if it was a High Court order or a Circuit Court order, it’d be written on the top.

“There was no court order whatsoever. He wouldn’t expose it fully, he just gave us a small glimpse and then he closed it.

I wouldn't trust anyone staying in a house due to be repossessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Was a kid in McDonalds a couple of years ago mouthing off about been so famous a kid of someone in KBC ?

I wouldn't trust anyone staying in a house due to be repossessed.

Thats not a licence to make unsubstantiated allegations, Gar.

Was a kid in McDonalds a couple of years ago mouthing off about been so famous a kid of someone in KBC ?

No.

One letter is the same though.

25 security guys were reported as at the initial eviction with the Gardai blocking off local roads also. With the Sheriff and his bailiffs too. That's three groups coordinated to attend on the day. If that's not highly planned i don't know what is.

I don't mean the plan to remove them. I mean the banks plan to deal with the potential fall out which has now completely blown up in their face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

No, she was mouthing off her dad is a partner in KPMG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Do you feel better now?

Did you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Omackeral wrote: »
    end of the road how come you thank posts advocating vigilantism on this thread this but are categorically against it anywhere else on here.

because in most cases such tactics are unnecessary, and are often used for outcomes, which are not for the common good.
    in this case however, such tactics while still illegal, and for which as we know, the law enforcement machinery of the state will have to do it's work as is obligated by the citizinary of the state, were used to send a message that the use of security firms, especially unregulated out of state security firms, to cary out evictions, is a no no and would not be tolerated. especially where a security firm is alleged to have elements with links to an extreme element of a belief system which over all is benign, but which said particular element which it is alleged these elements of the firm may have links to, is not compatible with, and which is hostile toards, the irish state and it's people.

Is this in relation to something that happened to 150 years ago? They were okay to borrow from the foreigners, but didn't want to pay the full amount that they owed?

So the foreign banks should just what? Expect that they don't get their money back if those in debt don't pay up before a certain age?

Maybe. Or maybe the foreign bank read up on it, read about the GFA, and thought that all was good.

Bring guns next time? Lets see how brave a mob is when they start dropping like flies.

Where did you see that? Have read that it was due to them remortgaging their house to pay for a farm expansion.

unless the emergency responce unit will be turning up to evictions, then it is unlikely that there will be guns coming.

well no, the retired gard did not deserve what he got, and those in the house when the banks goons arrived did not deserve a beating, as beating is not a prescribed punishment in law for not leaving a house.
    from what i saw in the video, it didn't show anyone other then members of the security firm, doing anything that could be considered fighting.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Because he got hurt.

that doesn't prove he was fighting as you claim.
    I'd be surprised if they suddenly burst in and started kicking the ****e out of anyone.

why would you be surprised. do you think these are actually gards, and that they operate to the same rules and regulations as the gards? no, they are an out of state private security firm, who aren't even regulated in this country, and who are alleged to have or had links to loyalist paramilitarism.
    Even if they did I'd be much less on their side but they're still in the right.

they aren't. a private security firm beating up people as part of an eviction i don't believe is mandated in law in this country.
    If you're in a house that the high court have said is to be repossessed and you're putting up a fight about it you deserve what you get.

you don't, unless you are attacking gardai and they use their allowed reasonable force.
    Bring in that house was no different than being a burglar anywhere else.

it was very different.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

There's always more to these cases than meets the eye. Does anyone have details of how much the loans were for or how long it took for the process to get to this stage?
    Farming is like any other business with the exception that farmers tend to be very bad business people largely due to a lack

• Advertisement
Advertisement