Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    A proper functioning banking system is critical for a functioning economy, we currently don't have this, I suspect it may not take much to tip this pile again, only time will tell

Well if they aren't allowed to liquidate assets on defaulted loans they certainly will be hitting the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If I lived in Roscommon, I would be begging for an eviction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Ush1 wrote: »
    You're the one calling for revolution. How will this revolution solve this issues you listed exactly?

Well the current gov aren't exactly solving the problems of this country are they? As long as fg and ff control this country as they have for nearly the last century i firmly believe nothing will improve .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It's quite unnerving that there is such a focus on the security firm being British angle.

There's probably a million reasons why they were hired. Considering what went on, the fact that they probably don't have connections with Ireland is an important part. I imagine Irish companies might not have been interested in the gig because of the hassle involved.

It's a dirty job and not one I particularly agree with but, as mentioned by many others, it is a risk you run.

As mentioned before private security firms in this state have to follow a lot of laws, rules and regulation, including vetting wearing id etc. It didn't look like these guys followed these rules.
    On another note, I see that Paul Reynolds has crawled out from whatever rock he was under.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

You hire a security firm whose staff were ex members of a loyalist paramilitary organisation to carry out eviction orders in the Republic of Ireland, you are asking for near all out warfare on a scale of the likes some people here clearly have never seen. Because in today's world Footage gets plastered online of these guys being hired to carry out the eviction, Republican dissidents (looking for any chance to kick it off again) see the footage and decide to go on the hunt themselves, and round and round we go and go again. The likes of KBC would do well to learn about the recent history of the places they choose to operate and be extremely careful on who they hire to do the dirty work. This could kick off far more trouble than just what happened in Strokestown.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Billcarson wrote: »
    Are you having a laugh. Revolution for what? Homelessness, health service, families being stretched to the limit, ever rising cost of living etc etc . That's my opinion and I'm sure many feel the same about the way this country is ruin
    Smart ass eh. You tell me then if you are so smart.
    Well the current gov aren't exactly solving the problems of this country are they? As long as fg and ff control this country as they have for nearly the last century i firmly believe nothing will improve .

This translates as:

"You are wrong, I am right but I don't know what makes me right"

Sounds like you just fancy a riot tbh.

Of course there is a flip side on this, but creating cheap credit is like giving out free drugs to drug addicts, have the dealers been dealt with correctly here?

Nope I don't believe they have or will be. And remember what about the overseer of the banks the Central Bank. People should have been dealt with from there but they weren't. Typically they got to retire early with a big payment. That was wrong as well. My hope was that the Government would learn from the crash and put in place more robust controls but alas my stupidly optimistic outlook has bitten me in the ass again. We're on the path to another crash as we are in an even bigger Boom atm and the cliff edge of Brexit to jump over.

However this doesn't mitigate away from peoples responsibility of servicing their debts. I think too many people in this country use the "ah sure it will be grand" method of financial planning. We seem to have held onto this "oppressed" mentality from pre-Independence days thinking that we are owed by someone and not taking full responsibility for our actions. People and society in Ireland need to grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As mentioned before private security firms in this state have to follow a lot of laws, rules and regulation, including vetting wearing id etc. It didn't look like these guys followed these rules.
    This kind of activity is not regulated in law. These guys had no specific rules they had to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

A proper functioning banking system is critical for a functioning economy, we currently don't have this, I suspect it may not take much to tip this pile again, only time will tell

And not repossessing collateral relating to loans in default will take us closer or farther from that day of reckoning?

They're are a lot of different stories out there in relation to this, some say it's in relation to a loan to pay a revenue judgement others are saying it's in relation to a mortgage taken out in 2004 with IIB, now KBC, then sold to Cabot who got a court order for repossession.

• Advertisement

On another note, I see that Paul Reynolds has crawled out from whatever rock he was under.

Apparently they are not subject to regulations when actioning a judgement from the High Court. Someone quoted Charlie Flanagan about it earlier in the thread.

We will see how funny it is when it happens. You brainless muppet
    Oooh, burn on me. But just out of interest, what are the aims of this revolution? I haven't got much debt, I work and I rent. So why are you insulting me? Am I one of the targets of this revolution?

Oooh, burn on me. But just out of interest, what are the aims of this revolution? I haven't got much debt, I work and I rent. So why are you insulting me? Am I one of the targets of this revolution?

I suspect you are about to be called a bootlicker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bringing down loyalist henchmen to evict old people from their home a couple of weeks before Christmas is a step too far. No sympathy for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

pablo128 wrote: »
    If the security lads were from Cavan or Leitrim, the same thing would have happened, but with a different excuse.

We both know that.

Yes and it would extend beyond the eviction where the lads from Cavan or Leitrim and their families would be intimidated in their homes.

A dirty job not worth doing by someone local

This translates as:

"You are wrong, I am right but I don't know what makes me right"

Sounds like you just fancy a riot tbh.

I don't fancy a riot for the sake of one. I believe this country needs changes. I'm sure there are many out there who agree this country needs to change. And I don't agree with freeloaders either btw.

• Advertisement

I don't fancy a riot for the sake of one. I believe this country needs changes. I'm sure there are many out there who agree this country needs to change. And I don't agree with freeloaders either btw.
    "This building isn't perfect, we should tear the whole thing down and start from scratch, then it'll be perfect".

Every country needs "changes". Constantly. Nothing is ever run perfectly, no country is a model of perfection.

The notion that we need to completely scorch the earth and start again is a prime example of someone who's been wound by the media to be "angry, but not entirely sure why".

Man evicted owes near half a million to revenue, is that not freeloading?

Man evicted also has judgement against him for €18k to a local quarry, is that not freeloading?

That's before we even get definitive information on how much he owes to the bank.

I would like to see changes too, but would like to see proposals rather than threats of anarchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Bringing down loyalist henchmen

to evict old people from their home a couple of weeks before Christmas is a step too far. No sympathy for them.

Yer man is 50ish not 60, 70, 80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Bringing down loyalist henchmen to evict old people from their home a couple of weeks before Christmas is a step too far.

No sympathy for them.

For the squatters who wouldn't vacate the property on foot of a Court order?

Me neither - if you don't respect the law then you're nothing but a common criminal, irrespective of the time of year or your age.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Yer man is 50ish not 60, 70, 80

And it only 3 months till Paddy's day, disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Squatter wrote: »
    For the squatters who wouldn't vacate the property on foot of a Court order?

Me neither - if you don't respect the law then you're nothing but a common criminal, irrespective of the time of year or your age.
    The Men and Women of 1916 should have just sat at home ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Whatever about giving some jaffa ne'er do wells a bit of a hair ruffling, killing a dog? in the immortal words of Vinne Jones: "That's a bit strong"

blinding wrote: »

Technically 1916 didn't solidify the country behind the rebellion the stupidity of the British in executing the leaders did. Remember the Rebels were abused and pelted with rotting veg and fruit right after the rising when they were being marched to the prisons/barracks.

Maybe we should dedicate a day to John Maxwell in his part in the creation of the Republic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Are you having a laugh. Revolution for what? Homelessness, health service, families being stretched to the limit, ever rising cost of living etc etc . That's my opinion and I'm sure many feel the same about the way this country is ruin

I'd love to just for once see one of these revolutionaries come up with some solutions. Wanna be the first?

Bringing down loyalist henchmen to evict old people from their home a couple of weeks before Christmas is a step too far. No sympathy for them.

Isn't this a prime example of what is wrong with media and information dissemination these days. The foundation the argument is built on here relies entirely on emotion rather than fact, not only that but it's incomplete and distorted.

People in their 50s and 60s are not old btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

There was a story a good few years ago in Dundalk where a guy was being evicted and they had people recording and a load of people there to prevent it. He had recently opened a large gym and was driving a less than one year old car. Some people deserve no sympathy.

Don't forget the couple who were evicted from their south Dublin home.

The sympathy soon evaporated when the public discovered they owned 20+ houses!!

https://www.thejournal.ie/evicted-couple-set-up-tent-outside-former-home-425174-Apr2012/

;)
    The Men and Women of 1916 should have just sat at home

Indisputably. In fairness, most of the women did, but as we all now know, women are far smarter than men. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭AlanG

These people must have been multi millionaires to have owed revenue half a million for VAT fraud. The government could have kept Roscommon A & E open for another good while with that sort of money. If people think that somehow people over 50 should be excused form the the law due to being old then they can be assured that they were not so old when they begun ripping off the state and taking out loans on the property.
    Perhaps the mortgage was taken to buy land or cattle out from under the nose of some hard working farmer who pays his bills. If mortgages are unsecured loans then the interest rate will be about 18% just like credit cards and other unsecured loans. At some stage repossessions need to occur but really the state should have the guts to carry them out to ensure they are done properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

AlanG wrote: »
    These people must have been multi millionaires to have owed revenue half a million for VAT fraud. The government could have kept Roscommon A & E open for another good while with that sort of money. If people think that somehow people over 50 should be excused form the the law due to being old then they can be assured that they were not so old when they begun ripping off the state and taking out loans on the property.

Yes, 177k in VAT fraud means many times this in turnover.

These are not poor people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Would it be ok if they brought Mercy nuns from Kerry then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

What was that about anyway ?

The English were sick of the place and were going home anyway

Then a few heroes decided to make it look good,

Then the English decided if they were going to be like that about it, they'd keep six counties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

gandalf wrote: »
    Technically 1916 didn't solidify the country behind the rebellion the stupidity of the British in executing the leaders did. Remember the Rebels were abused and pelted with rotting veg and fruit right after the rising when they were being marched to the prisons/barracks.

That's an auld worn out cliche at this stage, Dublin was not the country. British soldiers were being spat at outside the pale after the rising. One observer noted that the longer that week went on the more sympathetic people became because the rebels were putting up a fight instead of some half arsed fiasco that fizzled out after a day or two

Posted about the outstanding revenue bill & quarry debt on facebook there,

Got a straight up threat & picture of my house sent to me :)

Safe to say - I am out.

Bambi wrote: »
    That's an auld worn out cliche at this stage, Dublin was not the country. British soldiers were being spat at outside the pale after the rising. One observer noted that the longer that week went on the more sympathetic people became because the rebels were putting up a fight instead of some half arsed fiasco that fizzled out after a day or two

Quality revisionism! - so it was the IRAs "spit at a Brit" campaign that led to the Black and Tans being imported to Ireland. Never knew about that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Safe to say - I am out.

nice people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Worth pointing out again the penalty owed by the guy in this case was 100% of the tax owed. That's highest penalty available to Revenue. It means that he acted deliberately in underpaying/underdeclaring his VAT. He knew what he was doing in other words. He also compounded the deliberate action by being uncooperative. Non cooperation increases the penalty to 100%.

The defenders of these people would want to step away from tabloid rags and social media for a while and assess the information critically for a while before deciding if they wish to continue their unconditional support.

gctest50 wrote: »
    What was that about anyway ?

The English were sick of the place and were going home anyway

Then a few heroes decided to make it look good,

Then the English decided if they were going to be like that about it, they'd keep six counties
    The Brits had plenty of time to go . They didn’t leave the 26 counties until 1921 .

Unionists can do nothing right . If they had taken just 4 Counties they might have behaved properly but as I say they can’t do anything right .

They even fooked up an eviction in 2018 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

hurler32 wrote: »
    Once it’s not happening in Dublin Fine Gael couldn’t give a toss !

you could make that more specific as to how FG think by saying south-east Dublin :D

Worth pointing out again the penalty owed by the guy in this case was 100% of the tax owed. That's highest penalty available to Revenue. It means that he acted deliberately in underpaying/underdeclaring his VAT. He knew what he was doing in other words. He also compounded the deliberate action by being uncooperative. Non cooperation increases the penalty to 100%.

The defenders of these people would want to step away from tabloid rags and social media for a while and assess the information critically for a while before deciding if they wish to continue their unconditional support.
    Do we know if the Three People put on the Side of the Road were responsible for any of this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

awec wrote: »

He also owes 18,000 to a local business (a quarry).

these type of figures could close a business if it's a small operation. Also this is the only one we heard about as they had to go to the bother of going to court. how many other business's do they owe money to ?

Safe to say - I am out.

Does that not show you though the level of anger that is out there .people have had enough. * not that I agree with someone threating you btw

Bambi wrote: »

Spat at ROFLOL!!!! In O'Connell Street they were being fired at with live rounds. Feckin Chulchies only half doing things ;)

The fact stands that the Rising at the time was not popular for a number of reasons. It took the belligerent action of the occupier to cement the momentum of the Rising into a full Independence movement which helped achieve this imperfect Republic. I'm glad it did, I like my country and I like what we have achieved in our first 100 years. The one thing I would like to see vanquished is this inferiority complex that makes people feel like they are owed something and they can't take responsibility for their actions.

Does that not show you though the level of anger that is out there .people have had enough. * not that I agree with someone threating you btw

Had enough of what? Paying their bills?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Do we know if the Three People put on the Side of the Road were responsible for any of this ?

Won't somebody please think of the three people at the side of the road! /HelenLovejoy

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, 177k in VAT fraud means many times this in turnover.

These are not poor people.
    They probably are on paper.

Like that guy who had his house searched on foot of a Revenue warrant and they found €17m in cash hidden around the house (which he claimed was fully tax compliant), you can be sure that if these people operate bank accounts, then they have the bare minimum of money in them.

They're constant shysters & money hoarders. "My money is mine and no government can have it!"

The irony is that those defending these people are their sworn enemies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Their support for their neighbours will dissipate when they get to bidding in the land auction.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Won't somebody please think of the three people at the side of the road! /HelenLovejoy
    Go sit on the side of the road . It should improve you life experience .

It demonstrates the level of thuggery surrounding this especially when all that person did was point out the facts of this case. But for a certain element in this society any excuse to act the "hard lad".

Anger at what though? Facts? Had enough of what, paying their bills?

There's a revolution happening alright - a revolution against intelligence, fact and reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Go sit on the side of the road . It should improve you life experience .

I don't need to "sit on the side of the road" in this illustrative pretense, all my bills are paid in full.

• Advertisement
Advertisement