Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

What abouttery to beat the band, lads completely missing the point of issue and pictures of dogs memorial sevices? All we're missing is the reference to the nazis / Hitler.

Full disclosure : the previous home owner was obviously a tax dodger of the highest order and should have been evicted months ago. But Ireland, and rural Ireland in particular, seems to love these "cute hoors". See the messing that's going on in cavan with current Quinn group executives being terrorized by the local community as another example.

What happened here?

markodaly wrote: »
    What happened here?

There has been a long string of incidents, accidents and threats.

https://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/10/31/4164352-fresh-attack-targeting-qih-boss/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Boggles wrote: »
    The retired guard apparently.

Oh well, play stupid games .. win stupid prizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,617 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Full disclosure : the previous home owner was obviously a tax dodger of the highest order

Yeah. Between him and Apple they owe 13 billion and 400k.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

markodaly wrote: »
    What happened here?

This sort of stuff.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/quinn-execs-advised-not-to-park-outside-homes-following-third-arson-attack-in-two-months-37489887.html
    Directors and executives of Quinn Industrial Holdings have been advised by gardai not to park their cars in front of their homes, after the third arson attack in two months at the homes of key figures in the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

i see the "rent a riot mob" have moved from water protests to evictions

can people not see them for what they are.. a bunch of far left anarchists who are too quick with their fists/baseball bats

they're vigilantes with extreme republican leanings

Despite the government and Apple not believing that money was owed Apple paid the 13 billion when ordered.

Has this fella paid us yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ush1 wrote: »
    Who got their teeth knocked out?

Probably the 108 year old pensioner in the wheelchair that was in the house since famine time that the evil bank want to take because of the €8.75 he owes but can't pay back because of how expensive Christmas is.

seamus wrote: »
    The problem here is that if you were to use Gardai, how would that look?

What would that do for the public impression of the Gardai if they were to be seen "dragging old people out of their homes before Xmas!". What would it do for their morale.

I agree that companies shouldn't resort to having to hire people to enforce their right to a court-ordered settlement.

This should be the function of a specific agency attached to the courts whose job it is to take possession of a property, forcefully evicting residents where necessary.

The UK have them, and it's a horrible job that should never be required, but the fact that people will ignore high court orders is what makes it necessary.

But this agency doesn't exist, so unfortunately private companies DO need to hire thugs to evict people from the company's property.

If you want to direct your protest somewhere, ask the Government why private citizens have to pay to enforce legal orders and why the state isn't doing it for them?
    Having a public body to enforce court orders sounds like a good idea - are there any examples from elsewhere.

They would become the objects of a lot of abuse though - the Sherriff of Nottingham Roscommon might go down in history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They would become the objects of a lot of abuse though - the Sherriff of Nottingham Roscommon might go down in history.

There was a sheriff in every county about sometime in the last 35 years iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Despite the government and Apple not believing that money was owed Apple paid the 13 billion when ordered.

Has this fella paid us yet?

In fact, any delay in Apple paying the money was due to the Government not being willing to accept it until a tendering process to manage the funds had been completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Apple are abiding by court orders, the guy in Roscommon isn't.

Apple's money is in an escrow account pending the result of court appeals.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Apple are abiding by court orders, the guy in Roscommon isn't.

Apple's money is in an escrow account pending the result of court appeals.

I was pointing out that his tax defaulting wasn't at the higher end.

But It's all about optics.

People getting ****ed out of their home violently as the Guards watch on for 400k.

Meanwhile Leo is so far up Cookes hole you can barely see his novelty socks spending millions of our money fighting a court case to hand back 13 billion.

That's one of the backdrops of this, that is even before you get into the optics of this individual case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It's all about optics.

People getting ****ed out of their home violently as the Guards watch on for 400k.

Mean while Leo is so far up Cookes hole you can barely see his novelty socks spending millions of our money fighting a court case to hand back 13 billion.

That's one of the backdrops of this, that is even before you get into the optics of this individual case.

That's the revenue money, we don't even know what he owed KBC. Oh and don't forget a local quarry he owed 15k, but sure the optics...

Ush1 wrote: »
    That's the revenue money, we don't even know what he owed KBC. Oh and don't forget a local quarry he owed 15k, but sure the optics...

We have no idea what he owes or the situation around it.

I doubt it is 13 billion though and I doubt he has the government spending millions to fight his corner.

They are the optics, I am not saying 2 wrongs make a right or a left.

But optics are very important.

• Advertisement

It's all about optics.

Mean while Leo is so far up Cookes hole you can barely see his novelty socks spending millions of our money fighting a court case to hand back 13 billion.

Actually they are getting turfed out of their home for an unspecified loan amount. The 400k is what the Revenue are owed. I assume a bank doesn't put up 8 security guards on site for a small loan amount outstanding or for an asset that isn't worth that much. The real backdrop of this has not been fleshed out yet. I am veering towards this being some kind of property development debt given the quarry judgement in 2008 as well.

As for the 13 billion if the European Courts rule against the Government that 13 billion will only be resting in our accounts for a very brief period until it is paid onto the Europeans who we have our debts with. That 13 billion is based on sales into those territories from Ireland and not based on sales to Irish people of Apple products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

But It's all about optics.

Meanwhile Leo is so far up Cookes hole you can barely see his novelty socks spending millions of our money fighting a court case to hand back 13 billion.

It's not about optics. It's pretty clear.

The money was owed and a court order had been secured against the property. The occupants refused to leave, even though there was a court order stating that they had to leave. If they weren't going to obey the court order, then there had to be an eviction. If someone won't go willingly on foot of a court order, then there's not much choice other than to turf them out.

That 400k is owed to the taxman by the way. I'm not sure how much is owed to the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Co. Roscommon farmer Anthony McGann is the farmer with the largest figure on the tax defaulters list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Having a public body to enforce court orders sounds like a good idea - are there any examples from elsewhere.

We actually do appear to have them: https://www.bailiffs.ie

I'm not sure why they were not used in this instance, maybe they can only be used in certain instances. It should probably be mandatory to use them rather than another private service.

There's a UK programme, "Can't Pay? We'll take it away", which is an incredibly callous title really. Follows HC enforcement agents in the UK chasing up debts and repossessing properties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Billcarson

frosty123 wrote: »

can people not see them for what they are.. a bunch of far left anarchists who are too quick with their fists/baseball bats

Maybe they are just people who want to stand up for themselves rather then and be yes men to whatever their masters tell them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Billcarson wrote: »
    Maybe they are just people who want to stand up for themselves rather then and be yes men to whatever their masters tell them.

More rioting for the sake of rioting then.

"Stand up"

'Ok will do, but for what?'

"Bootlicker"

By Shannonside News -2nd December 2018

A new revenue sheriff has been appointed to Co Roscommon.

Mr Kelly will take up his new role on December 23rd.

gandalf wrote: »
    I am veering towards this being some kind of property development debt given the quarry judgement in 2008 as well.

15k? That could be a bill for a large shed.
    gandalf wrote: »
    As for the 13 billion if the European Courts rule against the Government that 13 billion will only be resting in our accounts for a very brief period until it is paid onto the Europeans who we have our debts with.

Really? Says who?

And these are probably the same people that whinge the Health Service isn't getting enough resources.

Well they are defending someone and his ilk who by their tax default activities are denying the state the monies to provide those services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I see they’re trying to agitate ala the French yellow vests thing- bit hard on Xmas bonus week I’d imagine to get the level of false anarchy they desire though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

any chance of getting the facts of the case ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Really? Says who?

The EU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Billcarson

More rioting for the sake of rioting then.

"Stand up"

'Ok will do, but for what?'

"Bootlicker"

Like the French were protesting just for the sake if it were they these last few weeks.?People in this country are sheep but I'm hopeful that will change .

I'm not sure why they were not used in this instance, maybe they can only be used in certain instances. It should probably be mandatory to use them rather than another private service.

There's a UK programme, "Can't Pay? We'll take it away", which is an incredibly callous title really. Follows HC enforcement agents in the UK chasing up debts and repossessing properties.
    That would probably be the name but that website is at a private debt collection company.

Company Name:Blackwater Bailiff & Asset Management Services Limited
    Time in Business:1 Month
    Company Number:637363
    Current Status: NORMAL
    Principal Activity:[7022] Business and Other Management Consultancy Activities
    May Trade As:Bailiff Service of Ireland
    Blackwater Asset Management

15k? That could be a bill for a large shed

And the € 174,000 vat that was due ( because under reported )

How much VAT did he pay altogether ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

And what exactly is being stood up for in this case? The right to default on taxes? The right to default on loans? The right to default on bills to local businesses? Or all three?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

people have every right to protest...but you'd don't it by burning out cars and assaulting people with baseball bats, thats just plain thuggery...and they claim to be the victims in all this??

heroics wrote: »
    The EU

No they didn't.

They actually said the opposite.

Like the French were protesting just for the sake if it were they these last few weeks.?People in this country are sheep but I'm hopeful that will change .

The anarchists in this country have **** all to worry them- it’s hard working taxpayers that should be rioting here for what’s robbed off them to fund welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

Thought this was brilliant, so I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

What do you want to achieve from your proposed revolt? Hell, if you can explain it to me I might even join you!

gctest50 wrote: »
    And the € 174,000 vat that was due ( because under reported )

How much VAT did he pay altogether ?

I have no idea what he owes.

I'm merely suggesting owing 15k to a quarry does not make you a large developer.

What do you want to achieve from your proposed revolt? Hell, if you can explain it to me I might even join you!

Social media likes and general criminality, wanten destruction of other people’s property

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This case essentially leads back to a huge fraud against the state and then the perpetrators faught it and the bill resulted to €400k owed bynthemntontue state.

How is this to be justified in all this ??

As someone who has been paying tax week in week out for 30 years I don’t see why these individuals get such support for defrauding the state.

A legal judgment was made that they must forfeit their property, that’s the law of the country making a decision against them. If they had walked away there would have been no problem.

But again they dig in and stuck two fingers to the state and every tax payer expecting to get special treatment.

What were seeing now is a load of anti establishment nut jobs crawling out from under their rocks and being thugs and abusing anyone on social media who isn’t being outraged by this incident.

These people brought this on themselves, onody os to blame but them. Personal responsibility is gone to crap in this country, people want to blame everything on guards, banks, politicians, loyalists, everyone but themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

All the fair city extras will be required

And rover the dog too

Fair City? Ah here, we want the reconstruction to be somewhat realistic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

It means that they will be ready the next time the locals try this.

If this is repeated, I could really see the violence escalating. Btw, the local Representatives reaction to this was disgraceful.

Ya I wonder how there escalation will work out, its not like people from the south would up the ante either...

I have no idea what he owes.

I'm merely suggesting owing 15k to a quarry does not make you a large developer.

It shows him for the scumbag he is

The loader isn't magically going to grow new tyres or fill itself with diesel

gctest50 wrote: »
    It shows him for the scumbag he is

I never suggested he wasn't. :confused:

Seems to be more than a few people on here with comprehension difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 stevielink

for whatever reason, the homeowners were evicted. If the eviction order was valid, then so be it. This is what happens when mortgages aren't paid. There has to be some form of comeback from the banks otherwise no one would pay their mortgage.

However,
    From what I could see, the eviction itself was a violent affair with at least one man getting a beating from several civilians whilst 2 Gardai stood idly be and said it was on private property so there was nothing they could do.
    Garda management need to clarify this. Does this also mean if a man is beating up his wife at home, or if a woman is beating up her husband, that there is nothing the Gardai can do because it on private property? Genuine question.
    Equally, if someone goes into a shop and smashes up several expensive TV's, the Guards can do nothing because it's on private property? Garda management need to come out with a statement on this.

Like I said, if the eviction order was lawful then the person needs to be evicted, however I think firstly it could have waited until after Christmas, and secondly sending in several burly men from outside the jurisdiction, some of whom I believe had paramilitary connections, is of course only going to enrage people, and rightly so.

Violence is never the asnwer and I equally condemn the people who took revenge on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

However this could and should have been handled by the Financial institution completely differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

What is the real story here, who owed the money, how much money,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

were they approached? chickened out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

goat2 wrote: »

The farmer that was evicted owed 400k in tax. And owed thousands to local businesses. Nobody knows what the amount owing on the house was, on top of all the other money owed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

goat2 wrote: »

From here
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/taoiseach-condemns-highly-violent-attack-at-repossessed-house-as-garda-probe-dissident-links-37632029.html
    The farmer at the centre of the eviction is not suspected of any wrongdoing in relation to the violent incident at his former home.

He has financial difficulties which stretch back almost a decade and include a more than €400,000 settlement secured by the Revenue Commissioners against him in 2015 for the under-declaration of VAT.

Land Registry records for the Falsk property also show that more than €18,000 was secured in a judgment in December 2008, which was subsequently registered against his property. That judgment was obtained by a local company which operated a quarry at the time.

In 2015, Revenue secured a settlement totalling €429,501 against the evicted man as a tax defaulter for the under declaration of VAT. It included €177,000 in tax owed, almost €75,000 in interest, and more than €177,000 in penalties.

In January this year, a judgment mortgage was secured against the man in the Midland Circuit Court by Cabot Asset Purchases (Ireland).

In 2004, the farmer had secured a mortgage from IIB Homeloans, the Belgian-owned lender that rebranded as KBC in 2009. In 2017, it emerged KBC Bank Ireland sold a chunk of loans to credit-servicing and debt-collection firm Cabot Financial Ireland, a unit of the US-based Cabot group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

So if a crime is happening on private property the gards can't intervene. We all know that's bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Bringing in paramilitaries with a pathological hatred of zirudh Catholics was never going to be a good idea.

Roughing up old people was not going to go down well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement