Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

gandalf wrote: »
    By Irish Taxpayers....they were by Belgian ones!

Those Belgian wafflers ! Ha ha. Their UDA dogs have been taught a lesson and even killed in one case !! Let them try again and cause Black 47 and on our watch they will be sent off on a packing holiday again. Stupid Belgian Waffle fools. They have learned their lesson and will leave the poor and good old folk of Eire to their ways and those UDA can stay where THEY have been taught so many lessons from the past. That’s it now ! Ha ha. Get up the yard ye feckin tan hoors ye !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Fann Linn wrote: »
    From Tulsk towards Strokestown and just before you hit the speed limit zone its into the left. I'm sure once ye get there ye'll see the crowds. Or from Strokestown to Tulsk first right turn.

idiot-273x300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

The family are back in the house as there is no valid court order which means that the eviction last Tuesday was illegal. Rumours abound that the loyalist security company will come back to evict the pensioners once again, local people are gathering up that way to give their support to the vulnerable family.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

P_1 wrote: »
    I thought they went after the full debt though?

Edit at least that's what seems to be their business model in Ireland

I'm sure they do a lot of the time, especially if it's obvious that you're capable of paying the full debt.

But they don't have to, it can be less. Repossession is really time consuming and an expensive process.

Look at this land in Roscommon. Who is going to want to buy it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

klaaaz wrote: »
    The family are back in the house as there is no valid court order which means that the eviction last Tuesday was illegal. Rumours abound that the loyalist security company will come back to evict the pensioners once again, local people are gathering up that way to give their support to the vulnerable family.

How was there no valid court order ? On what basis ? A Court Order was no doubt produced to the Gardai and the Sheriff at least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

They better bring the RSPCA the tan hoors ! The Eire boys will be back in business if they don’t stop their parking and funny business about the place down here.

They're "pensioners" now. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Are all major media outlets censoring the fact that the men that carried out the eviction identified themselves as British?
    Just watched the video on the Irish Mirror and they cut the audio but not video when one of them said he was British.

Has RTE come out and said anything about the security coming from outside this country and all vehicles destroyed had Northern Irish plates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Gardai should get involved now and send this security firm back home. Local TDs have said they'll intervene and try and resolve the impasse. No point now in them standing idly by again when tensions are running high. This could turn very nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Interesting. I did look on the courts website that someone linked me to a few posts back, and found nothing.

I wonder now about the position of the on-duty guards at the house. Should they not as part of their duties have asked to see a court order ?

Difficult to make out from the video, but it does sound like that the existence of a court order was hotly contested on the day and that possibly it was one of the guards who can be heard insisting that there was indeed one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Can someone setup a live stream outside the house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

From Tulsk towards Strokestown and just before you hit the speed limit zone its into the left. I'm sure once ye get there ye'll see the crowds. Or from Strokestown to Tulsk first right turn.
    Along with blue flashing lights, no doubt.

awec wrote: »
    They're "pensioners" now. :D

Well 64\65 is pension age. Maurice McCabe and Bertie are drawing pensions. Whats the problem.

tuxy wrote: »
    Are all major media outlets censoring the fact that the men that carried out the eviction identified themselves as British?
    Just watched the video on the Irish Mirror and they cut the audio but not video when one of them said he was British.

Has RTE come out and said anything about the security coming from outside this country and all vehicles destroyed had Northern Irish plates?

Fitzmaurice brought it up this morning with Bryan Dobson.

The RTE goon nearly had a calf.

Well 64\65 is pension age. Maurice McCabe and Bertie are drawing pensions. Whats the problem.

Try again...

Can someone setup a live stream outside the house?

Anna Kavanagh from the Longford Democrat has one on her FB page afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'm sure they do a lot of the time, especially if it's obvious that you're capable of paying the full debt.

But they don't have to, it can be less. Repossession is really time consuming and an expensive process.

Look at this land in Roscommon. Who is going to want to buy it?

Well nobody I'd imagine.

See that's what I don't get about these yellow vest lads, violence achieves nothing. If they had some cop on they'd find out who bought the debt and negotiate with them on behalf of the person in arrears, or at least train them to achieve a reduction on the debt. Play them at their own game as it were

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

tuxy wrote: »

What difference does this make?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Anna Kavanagh from the Longford Democrat has one on her FB page afaik.
    https://www.facebook.com/anna.kavanagh.102?ref=br_rs

How was there no valid court order ? On what basis ? A Court Order was no doubt produced to the Gardai and the Sheriff at least.

Jeez, you're the one who supplied the link to the Courts Service website, and said it would be readily searchable !

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108906975&postcount=1430

Find it for us ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

She just said she doesn’t know what’s going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

bubblypop wrote: »
    What difference does this make?

A British company shouldn't be carrying out any form of law enforcement in this country. How is this not obvious?

Private security companies shouldn't be involved in any capacity in enforcing a court order. A court order is an order issued by a branch of the Irish State. Law enforcement in the Irish State is carried out by another arm of the state, that being An Garda Síochána. If there's a court order to be enforced, they - and only they - should be the ones to enforce it.

The very involvement of a private security company - let alone one from outside the state - in what is essentially a matter of law enforcement and potential contempt of court, is highly disturbing. The fact that so many people are arguing that there's nothing at all disturbing about it, is itself even more disturbing.

JCJCJC wrote: »

No she said, emmm emmm emmmm x 10000

I don't know what's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

The loyalist security company will come back to evict the pensioners once again, local people are gathering up that way to give their support to the vulnerable family.

Have they moved more people into the house?

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    Have they moved more people into the house?

Neighbours are gathered outside.

A British company shouldn't be carrying out any form of law enforcement in this country. How is this not obvious?

Private security companies shouldn't be involved in any capacity in enforcing a court order. A court order is an order issued by a branch of the Irish State. Law enforcement in the Irish State is carried out by another arm of the state, that being An Garda Síochána. If there's a court order to be enforced, they - and only they - should be the ones to enforce it.

The very involvement of a private security company - let alone one from outside the state - in what is essentially a matter of law enforcement and potential contempt of court, is highly disturbing. The fact that so many people are arguing that there's nothing at all disturbing about it, is itself even more disturbing.

Absolutely no way should Gardai be involved in civil matters.
    The police of the land cannot & never should be involved in throwing people out of their homes.

It is civil court, civil matter, dealt with by the sheriff & whoever he sees fit to employ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

bloody hell would she not walk down the road and find out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Round and round we go again

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

You need to go figure out the difference between civil and criminal matters.

• Advertisement

The police of the land cannot & never should be involved in throwing people out of their homes.

It is civil court, civil matter, dealt with by the sheriff & whoever he sees fit to employ.

Contempt of court is not a civil matter but a criminal one. I'm opposed to evictions full stop, just to be clear, but I'm even more opposed to the involvement of private security goons in any form of enforcement. A court order is something to be enforced by the state, not some unaccountable and unknown thugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

That would seem to be a large part of what brought this about. That, and the feeling that the Gardai are there to protect them, not both sides or those being evicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

bloody hell would she not walk down the road and find out

In between a lot of stutters, splutters ums and ahs she said it’s raining.

Is she giving a law lesson?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Apparently not, it seems that the loyalist security firm produced a letter with bank lettering without no actual names of the family on it, there was no actual court order from an actual court!. An illegal eviction on the day.

Sheriff's not involved by all accounts. Just a dodgy security firm with dodgy employees and now appears with a dodgy court order.
    Glad you're happy with it.

You need to go figure out the difference between civil and criminal matters.

If a court orders me to leave a property and I refuse, I am now in contempt of court. That is a criminal and not a civil matter.

Furthermore, I don't agree with a distinction being made between the two. The courts are a branch of the Irish state, and enforcement of their rulings should be carried out exclusively by the Irish state.

If a court orders me to leave a property and I refuse, I am now in contempt of court. That is a criminal and not a civil matter.

Furthermore, I don't agree with a distinction being made between the two. The courts are a branch of the Irish state, and enforcement of their rulings should be carried out exclusively by the Irish state.

It's a civil court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Gardaī will always attend no matter what the situation as long as there is a threat to a person or property. And are usually called upon by the sheriff or bailiffs to observe the 'proceedings'.

Merciful hour talk of the restoration of the rule of law.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I'm not saying they are the solution.

Just that you're talking emotive bollocks about how they operate. Any Vulture Fund that bought debt in Ireland to go down the eviction route would soon end up bankrupt. It makes no sense.

Well they are CLEARLY not the solution. They are now a symptom of the inept banking structure that has failed to deal with the issue. They are a cancer on this country, just like the other gambling unsecured bondholders were. The simple lessons have not been learned.

How much bloody land is tied up in vulture funds that could have been put to good use ? Emotive bollocks, me arse. I wont have someone talking balderdash about how more likely you are to strike a deal with a vulture fund over a bank.

Those who haven't cleared their debts are now seeing exactly how these operators behave and I'd say its only the start of it. This is not just business. The abundance of light touch regulation and lack of oversight of many things has us where we are.

Absolutely. However, what about public order. Very much a hot topic given its currently under review.

How do members feel about assisting private unregulated repossession contractors of unknown origin ?

From what I could see a former member of AGS was dragged along the ground by at least 5 men in the video footage circulating. Simply saying that its a civil matter on private ground does not wash, regardless of the situation , or who owes what. It is simply unacceptable.

Gardaī will always attend no matter what the situation as long as there is a threat to a person or property. And are usually called upon by the sheriff or bailiffs to observe the 'proceedings'.

So they can just observe and refuse to step in if there is violence like there was with this case?

It's a civil court.

Civil contempt is regarded as an offence. If you defy an order in the civil courts, you are now guilty of a criminal act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

How does anyone think it's sensible to try this eviction again when tensions are so high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

In between a lot of stutters, splutters ums and ahs she said it’s raining.
    That's putting it mildly. It's been pis raining heavily for the last three hours or so down here on the Mayo/Ros border. "Soft evening", as the locals would say. Should keep the idiots on each side in their boxes tonight.

Odhinn wrote: »
    That would seem to be a large part of what brought this about. That, and the feeling that the Gardai are there to protect them, not both sides or those being evicted.

Gardai are there to prevent a breach of the peace.
    That is it. They should not be involved

Mrsmum wrote: »
    How does anyone think it's sensible to try this eviction again when tensions are so high.

My feelings entirely. Let the dust settle and try again in the cold light of day. Gardai should really disperse everyone, including the UDA and leave a couple of squad cars or the ARU in situ for the night.

Not exactly rocket science.

Gardai are there to prevent a breach of the peace.
    That is it. They should not be involved

Like we saw last Tuesday. Sweet feck all done.

Contempt of court is not a civil matter but a criminal one. I'm opposed to evictions full stop, just to be clear, but I'm even more opposed to the involvement of private security goons in any form of enforcement. A court order is something to be enforced by the state, not some unaccountable and unknown thugs.

I have no problem with evictions. Once a court order is made, then it should be enforced.
    But if it is a civil matter, involving personal debts, then no way should the police of the country be involved.
    You want to see gardai acting as personal debt collectors? Forcing people to leave their homes?
    There is enough animosity towards Gardai without employing them to carry out evictions.

• Advertisement

My feelings entirely. Let the dust settle and try again in the cold light of day. Gardai should really disperse everyone, including the UDA and leave a couple of squad cars or the ARU in situ for the night.

Not exactly rocket science.

UDR.

Can we at least use the right acronyms here? One is a paramilitary organization, the other is a former regiment of the British Army. One still exists, the other hasn't existed for over over 25 years.

Advertisement