Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Billcarson

markodaly wrote: »
    Yawn, blah blah...
    Change the record...

Ireland is, in fact, one of the least corrupt countries in the world. Don't let facebook 'news' change the actual facts.

Again, why are people such snowflakes today? Everyone has a sob story to tell. Tell it to someone who gives a crap.

Well fu then. Your delusional. Seek medical help. Your some man. I'd be ashamed to call you an Irishman. But as you say you don't give a crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

eagle eye wrote: »
    A boyo in Roscommon being lawfully evicted from his home for being, well, a thieving ****, is in no way related to the state policy on immigration. To attempt to connect the two is undoubtedly racist. You therefore, are a racist. Pretty ****ing simple to be honest.
    As far as I'm aware racism is having the view that another race of people are less important than you. I didn't see that anywhere in his post.

In fairness now, you've shown yourself to not be aware much in this thread, so this lack of understanding isn't all that surprising.

So you're either just a bit dim, or you sympathise with and seek to defend racists. I'll let you make up your mind which one applies.

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

Yawn, blah blah...
    Change the record...

Ireland is, in fact, one of the least corrupt countries in the world. Don't let facebook 'news' change the actual facts.

Again, why are people such snowflakes today? Everyone has a sob story to tell. Tell it to someone who gives a crap.

Stating it as fact, does not make it a truth. Its a truth of sorts, masked by layers of laws, and a draconian libel system. That reminds me of another 'least corrupt country' called Singapore, which is clean on outside appearances, but is merely a massive money laundering centre for the Asian elite.

Twenty family's and a power elite OWN Ireland and strangle 'we the people' through a plethora of layers. Top of that list is scumbag and ba$tard number one. Mr Dennis the Menace O'Brien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Billcarson wrote: »
    Well fu then. Your delusional. Seek medical help. Your some man. I'd be ashamed to call you an Irishman. But as you say you don't give a crap

I don't think he's the delusional one mate :rolleyes:

If your idea of an Irishman is a "cute hoor" who doesn't pay taxes and reneges on his debts then your right he isn't your type of Irishman.

Personally those of us do pay our way in society are the real Irishmen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I see the Castlerea thread has been redacted.

#fakenews

As in erased, never existed?

gandalf wrote: »
    I don't think he's the delusional one mate :rolleyes:

If your idea of an Irishman is a "cute hoor" who doesn't pay taxes and reneges on his debts then your right he isn't your type of Irishman.

Personally those of us do pay our way in society are the real Irishmen.

I wasn't talking about that . He was saying people are snowflakes in this country etc etc

The real Irishmen who indeed work their nuts off and pay their way still get screwed over .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

dermo888 wrote: »
    Stating it as fact, does not make it a truth. Its a truth of sorts, masked by layers of laws, and a draconian libel system. That reminds me of another 'least corrupt country' called Singapore, which is clean on outside appearances, but is merely a massive money laundering centre for the Asian elite.

Twenty family's and a power elite OWN Ireland and strangle 'we the people' through a plethora of layers. Top of that list is scumbag and ba$tard number one. Mr Dennis the Menace O'Brien.
    BINGO

We've got all the scapegoats and irrelevant bogeymen in one thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I said it before also but it's worth repeating. This individual is laughing at everyone as he thinks he has gotten away with not repaying yet another debt he has incurred. The level of public support for a tax defaulter and serial non-payer is shocking and if this is the way rural Ireland thinks, then I for one welcome a rural / urban divide.

Had you any problem with Seanie Fitzpatrick walking away laughing along with his buddies like Fingleton etc after destroying this country with the help of the likes of Bertie and Liam Lawlor. Rody Molloy formally of FAS cheated taxpayers of more than 1 million.
    These guys weren't from 'rural Ireland' as you like to call it. All from Dublin or the greater area and dozens more with them.
    Few are supporting what this Roscommon farmer has done, it's the double standards that angers people.
    And hearing our little loyalist friend from Craigavon telling us he's British whilst forcing a former Irish Garda off a property in rural Ireland will definitely incite 70 plus nut-jobs to travel up there and confront him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

I`m beginning to think at least half of Irish adults are retarded.

There is a full factual article here that outlines the many debts and judgments registered against the noble crusader by various financial institutions. I`m no scientist but it doesn't take one to spot that someone doesn't like paying their bills.

But sure that`s ok, we will just blame the banks and the politicians and the fictional "elite" for peoples inability to control their personal finance. We wouldn't be Irish if we didn't look for someone to blame our problems on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So you're either just a bit dim, or you sympathise with and seek to defend racists. I'll let you make up your mind which one applies.
    I'll meet you and take you on in an IQ test, we can have money on it if you like
    I'm not racist and I don't sympathise with them either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

dense wrote: »
    As in erased, never existed?

It must have hit a nerve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Well done for having the strength to stay with your convictions. The problem here is banks cannot give financial advice - they are not independent

If someone wants or needs financial advice, they need to go to someone completely independent and pay for it. If they are not paying for it, they are simply going to a salesperson who is getting remunerated via commission

But I agree with you regarding the next bust - it will not be pretty for a lot of people

It's going to be worse than the last one.

Someone posting on this thread probably thinks they're on to a winner, beautiful wife, two cars nice house, 300% over priced.

Tommy Hilfiger or Ralph Lauren wardrobe, tacky handbags....

You know the usual tacky existence, no class whatsoever...

Five years time it'll be a different story.

I've seen it happen twice in the last 25 year's, still people are being lead by the carrot...

washman3 wrote: »
    Had you any problem with Seanie Fitzpatrick walking away laughing along with his buddies like Fingleton etc after destroying this country with the help of the likes of Bertie and Liam Lawlor. Rody Molloy formally of FAS cheated taxpayers of more than 1 million.
    These guys weren't from 'rural Ireland' as you like to call it. All from Dublin or the greater area and dozens more with them.
    Few are supporting what this Roscommon farmer has done, it's the double standards that angers people.
    And hearing our little loyalist friend from Craigavon telling us he's British whilst forcing a former Irish Garda off a property in rural Ireland will definitely incite 70 plus nut-jobs to travel up there and confront him.

Ah so because he is from rural Ireland its ok? What about Alan Hanly who left the tax payer on the hook for several hundred million, If I recall correctly he lives just down the road from where the the repossession took place the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Aw cop on will ya.

Why are people such snowflakes today?
    Almost full employment, pubs and restaurants raking it in, very strong retail sales in the run up to Christmas, yet people are never happy.

The problems in the country stem from the fact there is a cohort of Irish people who are simply retarded, who moan and whinge when debt collectors come calling when money they borrowed goes up in smoke.

We have massive cultural issues in the country, that stops us solving those big issues you mention.

Housing for example. People moan about the terrible plight on young renters and homeless, but they won't be too far long objecting to every bit of development that goes over 3 stories because that is 'high rise'

They also want to build a McMansion in some field in the middle of nowhere, yet decry the death of the towns and villages, when of course they don't' themselves choose to live or shop there.

They will decry any property tax the government will impose on them, stating that its an illegal tax or immoral tax or something.
    Lets not even talk about water.

We as a nation are riven with utter stupidity and hypocrisy which prevents us being a grown-up nation, where we look and analyse issues in a grown-up fashion.

From reading this thread, I wonder sometimes if we are a serious people, do we think we can not only opt out of debt - bill obligations but portray ourselves as Martin Luther King for doing so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Ah so because he is from rural Ireland its ok? What about Alan Hanly who left the tax payer on the hook for several hundred million, If I recall correctly he lives just down the road from where the the repossession took place the other day.

Isn't he still in his house?

I`m beginning to think at least half of Irish adults are retarded.

There is a full factual article here that outlines the many debts and judgments registered against the noble crusader by various financial institutions. I`m no scientist but it doesn't take one to spot that someone doesn't like paying their bills.

But sure that`s ok, we will just blame the banks and the politicians and the fictional "elite" for peoples inability to control their personal finance. We wouldn't be Irish if we didn't look for someone to blame our problems on.

Half of Irish adults have below average intelligence.

But this thread is something else, it, along with Facebook and Twitter, would genuinely make you worried about the future. It's not the topic, but the way a large number of posters here have been taken in by populist bull**** living in a fantasy world where there is always someone else to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Absolutely agree that as a nation we seem to be unable to have a grown up debate on important matters, and look beyond the fact the local politician fixed the road 5 years ago

And all of the above is not helped by the exceptionally short term views of politicians, even before we look at the candidates who run for office..

Take our pension crises as an example. It is an absolute ticking time bomb (like every other country in the western world), but we simply put our heads in the sand and it will go away. Keep increasing the current state pension, despite the fact that it will be completely unaffordable within a decade or two and the ponzi scheme will all come crashing down... Instead we discuss blasphemy

The pension crisis is unreformable, vast majority of the population supports the policy of plying the elderly with goodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

nthclare wrote: »

Someone posting on this thread probably thinks they're on to a winner, beautiful wife, two cars nice house, 300% over priced.

I've seen it happen twice in the last 25 year's, still people are being lead by the carrot...

More of a Hugo Boss man myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

This is the tip of the iceberg.

Wait until the next bust.

I'd say 10% of the working population has a secure enough job to take out a mortgage.
    It's win win for the financial sector.

Everything is wrapped up in red tape and contradiction.

Most financial sector job's, factories, retail businesses, the IT sector, the construction industry, none of these can foresee people lasting 35 year's in job.

Guard's can't even afford mortgages now, while back in the 80's and 90's a guard or prison officer could get a good mortgage support a family of 5
    Now people can hardly live a humble lifestyle.

The quality of life aspect of this is greatly overlooked. These mortgages taken out in the last decade and more have been in the era of ultra low interest rates. 30+ year mortgages. Just hope to jaysus within that timeframe that your job has not been shipped overseas or automated or a race to the bottom...or interest rates go beyond what you can pay. We continue to have poor lending practices under a low interest rate era (Mortgage rules have improved things I'll agree).

Regards the farmer, of course you can compare the treatment of him to the more powerful and rich. Sean Fitz is a prime example. It's obvious that it's more cost effective to go after the most valuable estates. But we have the sheeple in the rat race blinding following the path to mediocrity. It's also absolute moral hypocrisy being shown by (some select) judges in the cases of repossessions.

The bank in question picked the worst option considering Roscommon has one of the lowest land valuations in the country. The amount of money spent in the courts and per day for the outside state security force. The only ones that would buy it now is vulture funds that will sit on it for decades. To the detriment of the local community. The optics alone are shameful.

There is no win-win here and it's not as black and white as some people make it out to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Delusional? I don't believe in made up facts.

I suppose that story goes down well down the local pub, but its a story all the same.

Half of Irish adults have below average intelligence.
    And we have to live our lives understanding that.
    But this thread is something else, it, along with Facebook and Twitter, would genuinely make you worried about the future. It's not the topic, but the way a large number of posters here have been taken in by populist bull**** living in a fantasy world where there is always someone else to blame.
    This isn't as much about the man as it is about how things are done.
    Bringing in thugs from the North to carry out this was grossly negligent.
    People are also fed up with the nanny state mentality and are starting to fight back.
    This type of thing is going to spread if the government aren't careful. They need to come out and say they understand why people have become irate over this and promise that things are going to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

US stocks bracing for a crash , central banks have no tools to fight a recession , trade wars hotting up of which Brexit is one , repatriation of MNC profits , worldwide retail struggling . We are at the top of the cycle it could get ugly very quickly . The debtor in Strokestown could get his writedown yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Bringing down loyalist henchmen to evict old people from their home a couple of weeks before Christmas is a step too far. No sympathy for them.

is thats people's biggest gripe?

if they were a security firm with republican links would people have been fine with it?

fryup wrote:
    if they were a security firm with republican links would people have been fine with it?
    I don't think so. For a certain element it might be different but not for most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

fryup wrote: »

No, they would be giving out about evicting people at Christmas.

Delusional? I don't believe in made up facts.

The simple fact is that it is getting tougher and tougher to make ends meet for many people in this country not all but many If you can't see that well I don't know what planet your living on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Large farm

“They sold 65 acres some years back and that wouldn’t have made much of a dent in what they have. They’ve a large farm by local standards,
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/calm-after-the-eviction-storm-as-strokestown-property-reoccupied-1.3734733 how big is this guys farm?

People are also fed up with the nanny state mentality and are starting to fight back.
    This type of thing is going to spread if the government aren't careful. They need to come out and say they understand why people have become irate over this and promise that things are going to change.

Fed up with nanny state mentality, yet willing to support someone who unwilling to face up to personal consequences for the contracts they voluntarily signed themselves up to.

It's a bit of a contradiction, no?

Denis O`Brien doesn't even live in Ireland you donut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

This is the tip of the iceberg.

Wait until the next bust.

I'd say 10% of the working population has a secure enough job to take out a mortgage.
    It's win win for the financial sector.

Everything is wrapped up in red tape and contradiction.

Most financial sector job's, factories, retail businesses, the IT sector, the construction industry, none of these can foresee people lasting 35 year's in job.

But yet the banks give out mortgages to people who haven't secure jobs.

It's all speculation and bull****, a dog with a mallet up his arse knows most people are having the wool pulled over their eye's.

Guard's can't even afford mortgages now, while back in the 80's and 90's a guard or prison officer could get a good mortgage support a family of 5
    Now people can hardly live a humble lifestyle.

AIB suggested during 2003 I invest 180,000 inheritance in shares, and take out a mortgage instead of buying a house for cash.

I bought the house for cash, another family member did the investment and got the mortgage.

Who's living in heartbreak hotel now ?

Guy's in suit's working for guy's in suit's...

And where would you be without the 180,000 inheritance ?

AIB suggested during 2003 I invest 180,000 inheritance in shares, and take out a mortgage instead of buying a house for cash.

I bought the house for cash,

you'd be in the same position as many more

Very few positions are "guaranteed"

eg.

someone could employ a load of men from rural Africa

Provide them with the best training, PPE and chainsaws etc

Then promote them to county councils :

* Fast : faster than one lad taking all summer to do it

* Your name in lights ! you'll be on the paper so you will for employing these lads

I might ask the doctor over the road does he have any cousins or anything from back home that are mad for the bit of outdoor work

Fed up with nanny state mentality, yet willing to support someone who unwilling to face up to personal consequences for the contracts they voluntarily signed themselves up to.
    Have you read my posts. Where have you seen me defend McGann? My gripe is getting thugs from the north to come down to do the eviction.
    It's a bit of a contradiction, no?
    As above, learn to read.

fryup wrote: »

TBH there are a wide and disparate number of reasons from looking at this thread
    • Loyalists
    • Its Christmas
    • Stick it to the banks
    • Fighting for the little guy
    • Rough Eviction
    • Farmers have it tough
    • Sean Fitz and the boys got off
    • Immigrants
    • etc

gctest50 wrote: »
    And where would you be without the 180,000 inheritance ?

you'd be in the same position as many more

Very few positions are "guaranteed"

eg.

someone could employ a load of men from rural Africa

Provide them with the best training, PPE and chainsaws etc

Then promote them to county councils :

* Fast : faster than one lad taking all summer to do it

* Your name in lights ! you'll be on the paper so you will for employing these lads

I might ask the doctor over the road does he have any cousins or anything from back home that are mad for the bit of outdoor work

It's ok the 180,000 inheritance is only a Small fraction of it, I'm alright Jack

You're pretty good at research, well done
    Thumbs up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Well done for having the strength to stay with your convictions. The problem here is banks cannot give financial advice - they are not independent

If someone wants or needs financial advice, they need to go to someone completely independent and pay for it. If they are not paying for it, they are simply going to a salesperson who is getting remunerated via commission

But I agree with you regarding the next bust - it will not be pretty for a lot of people

The banks are nothing but sales people....money collectors.

But sales people with the power to evict and were incentivised to screw people...let us not forget the bonuses during the bubble and all that nonsense Anglo/Nationwide got up to. And government/agencies/banks actively encouraged farmers to remortgage to modernise equipment and tools after being warned of being left behind and failing. Must get to those output numbers. Oh the milk quotas...oh the beef prices are to the floor....oh well, give us your land.

Ush1 wrote: »
    More of a Hugo Boss man myself.

Check out Belstaff, they go well with Hugo boss.

Iron ranger's boots and a land rover, you're sorted :)

Have you read my posts. Where have you seen me defend McGann? My gripe is getting thugs from the north to come down to do the eviction.

As above, learn to read.

Perhaps you should read your own posts. You said "People are fed up with the nanny state mentality", how can you square that statement when "People" are supporting those unwilling to accept he consequences of the free decisions they made

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭FredFunk

gandalf wrote: »
    TBH there are a wide and disparate number of reasons from looking at this thread
    • Loyalists
    • Its Christmas
    • Stick it to the banks
    • Fighting for the little guy
    • Rough Eviction
    • Farmers have it tough
    • Sean Fitz and the boys got off
    • Immigrants
    • etc

And five parcels of land of which 65 acres wouldn't make a large dent in.
    It is all the hallmarks of the Sean Quinn situation. He gambled, he lost.

Perhaps you should read your own posts. You said "People are fed up with the nanny state mentality", how can you square that statement when "People" are supporting those unwilling to accept he consequences of the free decisions they made
    I said people are irate that unionist thugs have been brought down from Northern Ireland to do the eviction.
    People are not willing to keep the head down any longer.

FredFunk wrote: »
    It is all the hallmarks of the Sean Quinn situation. He gambled, he lost.

and the roughians came to his aid as well :cool: oh to be a friend of SF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I said people are irate that unionist thugs have been brought down from Northern Ireland to do the eviction.

would it have made any difference if they were not from the north? What company from the south would do the job given the violent reaction that normally follows these evictions? People putting pics of the guys on FB and asking for them to be identified.

Yawn... he owes near a half a mill to the revenue.

The same "people not willing to keep their head down any longer" will be bitching on social media in a month about hospital waiting lists and how the social welfare is too low.

would it have made any difference if they were not from the north? What company from the south would do the job given the violent reaction that normally follows these evictions? People putting pics of the guys on FB and asking for them to be identified.
    I'm sure it could be done in a far more civil manner. Just put a bit of thought into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm sure it could be done in a far more civil manner. Just put a bit of thought into it.

how exactly? they refused to leave. should the security guys have just gone home?

The simple fact is that it is getting tougher and tougher to make ends meet for many people in this country not all but many If you can't see that well I don't know what planet your living on.

Yes, things are getting worse, despite disposable income going up.

https://www.joe.ie/news/average-weekly-disposable-income-ireland-652097

Facts, eh? Pesky things.

so thats the crux of the matter then? not the eviction per se but the fact the security firm were from the wrong tribe

if they were SF thugs ...would you still have a problem?

I've highlighted what you wrote to help you. Not willing to keep the head down has nothing to do with the nanny state. The nanny state is one which takes all the decisions for the individual, "nanny knows best". Being fed up with the nanny state would suggest people should have more personal responsibility, like paying their loans or facing the consequences when they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭FredFunk

Correct me if I am wrong, the GFA forgave all thugs on both sides.
    The soft border on this Island allows freedom of trade and services.
    Repossession is not for the faint-hearted, especially when the occupants refuse to budge. Ok it could have been handled a little better (wait til Jan) , but that hardly tips the scales of sympathy in favour of the occupants.

The banks are nothing but sales people....money collectors.

But sales people with the power to evict and were incentivised to screw people...let us not forget the bonuses during the bubble and all that nonsense Anglo/Nationwide got up to. And government/agencies/banks actively encouraged farmers to remortgage to modernise equipment and tools after being warned of being left behind and failing. Must get to those output numbers. Oh the milk quotas...oh the beef prices are to the floor....oh well, give us your land.

They are a business, their job is to make money from their customers. The problem with Ireland is that in the past people put the banks on the same pedestal they had the Clergy and school teachers on. They thought they were there for the peoples benefit. They aren't they will advise people on whats better for their bottom line. Even worse the employees advised people for whats best for their own salary. Incentivised to sell mortgages then they will sell as many mortgages as possible. I remember around 2004 a colleague printing out "wage slips" in the office he had doctored to make it look like he earned more to get his mortgage. His mortgage advisor told him to do it. This was common place. People knew it was wrong but they played along.

A home is the biggest purchase most of us will ever make. If you aren't comfortable with the ins and outs of it you need to get independent advice. If you make a stupid decision then you should be prepared for the consequences. The problem is that many will do anything to get a mortgage including making stupid decisions and getting themselves into debt they can't afford and then they put their head in the sand and hide from taking responsibility for it.

Yes banks were culpable but it's a two way decision and people have to take responsibility for that as well. The chancer at the centre of this whole controversy is probably an example of the worst case in this scenario and is going to effect sympathy for the genuine cases out there where people have tried their best to service their debt but despite this can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

He didn't enter bankruptcy or it is not reported that he entered bankruptcy.
    5 folios of land. One or two could have been sold off to satisfy his creditors.
    Tradespeople in rural Ireland dread a certain type of neighbour who expects a service in advance and you can't refuse them otherwise you are the one who is seen to be unfair.
    If they are buying a machine or service you hope it is not expensive so that you don't risk your own future and can write off the loss.
    You also curse the bank giving them a cheque book full of blank cheques which they will bounce with impunity in the locality.

I know tradepeople who have been reduced to poverty because of a certain type of person who doesn't pay and the sensible ones just write it off while the less sensible ones waste away their lives in the courts trying to get their unpaid bills paid.

Advertisement