Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

We know it's different terms ! That's the whole point.

Where could you get those terms ?

I couldn't get those terms because I don't have as much earnings or assets as he has.

But I can get more than others. I can qualify for exemptions that someone in a sub 30k job couldn't.

It's all relative.

A bank is a business. I know someone getting a new kitchen. Their plumber went off and came back with four different taps for the sink. He didn't buy then, the shop gave them to him and told him to bring back whichever ones he didn't want and then pay for the one he keeps. If I walked into the same shop, they wouldn't do that for me.

It's all relative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Dillosk412 wrote: »
    My mortgage rate is 3.7%

If I was in Denmark it would be about 2%.

If I was like McGann and similar people, then in Denmark if I did not come to an agreement with my bank, my house would be repossessed within 3 or 4 months and would be sold to a new owner within 6 months.

In Ireland I can employ delay tactics, cost the bank a fortune in legal fees and live scott free for up to 10 years. Then when the day of reckoning comes I can get my mates in Sinn Fein to organise protests.

For those who support people like the McGanns, remember it not the banks that are losing the money. They very simply pass ALL the costs onto other borrowers. So your credit card rate, your car loan rate, your mortgage rate and your bank charges are all higher than most other EU countries in order to pay for scroungers like the McGanns.

YOU are paying for his free living.

On top of that, your taxes paid for his scamming of VAT.

McGann has screwed to ordinary decent Irish person left right and centre. Yet some STILL support him (mostly unemployed, social welfare types)

This is the most sense I've read on this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Irish Times is reporting that a Strokestown man is "missing" having last been seen at about 5am on December 19th.

The man appears to have an Eastern European name so he is clearly one of the "New Irish".

Is this an ominous development in the case or a completely unrelated issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Hearing rumour that the security firm that tried to evict these lads last week were hired by Sinn Fein to do security at the feile a few months ago.

Rumours of course but sure the shinners never wait for credible evidence themselves...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hearing rumour that the security firm that tried to evict these lads last week were hired by Sinn Fein to do security at the feile a few months ago.

Rumours of course but sure the shinners never wait for credible evidence themselves...

Oh man that would be perfect. Here's hoping it's true :)

Thanks Santa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Happenstance led me to be in the company of some local dissidents during the week.First thing that came out of one of their mouths by way of conversation was "We taught 'em a lesson in Roscommon, wha?"

The rest of their conversation during our short time of shared space was something something state, the usual whinging.

These are all living in modern council houses provided by the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

in the sunday life https://twitter.com/pauldelaney2012/status/1077328184096505856 https://twitter.com/pauldelaney2012/status/1076999032717955077

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

I, eh, thought O'Doherty was a major Sinn Fein fan?

Or is it that they're all fans of hers, at least during her Mary Boyle phase........

• Advertisement

dense wrote: »
    I, eh, thought O'Doherty was a major Sinn Fein fan?

Or is it that they're all fans of hers, at least during her Mary Boyle phase........

Naw they got in her sh!t list when they didn't help with her (self thought) ascendency to the Presidency.

so it mentions a kbc eviction in balbriggan in february where a similar thing happened Gorden went in heavy and were said to be kicked out later https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155593353539833&id=711809832 https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155094304721254&id=596771253 https://www.facebook.com/529293587202439/videos/317155925506022/
    so where Anthony Costello now? there was also an eviction of the Smiths in May https://www.thejournal.ie/judge-kbc-repossession-3989219-May2018/

trying to find SF comment on these KBC balbriggan evictions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I don’t get these anti eviction rallies that are happening for people in private and public houses

Can anyone summarize it for me

Do I have to continue paying my mortgage or can I stop ?

Haven't you learned anything from all of this? You need to continue paying your mortgage for now, then apply for a second mortgage to buy a farm using your house as collateral then stop paying the whole lot.
    The added bonus is the tax free earnings from the farm.

It amazes me that more people aren't doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Oh please let that be true

Nice one. You couldnt make it up. Mary Lou will be choking on the turkey today if theres any left after her midnight trip to the kitchen last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Lol.

You couldn't make it up.

What an absolute shower of opportunistic chancers they've shown themselves to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The Shinners seem to be experts at finding new ways to make me hate them more.

What a horrible shower of scumbags they truly are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Leo was right - it doesn’t take long for the balaclava to slip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Forgive me but I just had to repost this again to hammer it home. This is the crux of this whole thing

This fella isn't small isn't normal and isn't a hard pressed average person. He's robbing from everyone's pockets and no different to these large scale developers you like to rage about.

Thanks to the poster below .

Amirani wrote: »
    He's paid off about 2 million in capital in the past 5 years. Your "rate he's paying" is wildly off the mark. Banks commonly offer capital repayment holidays and interest-only periods to many types of borrower, as long as they're credit-worthy. My own parents for example took out a 250k mortgage for the family home when they bought it and for the past few years they've just been making small interest-only payments.

If you pay off a large lump sum; Kennedy paid off half the capital in a couple of years, then the banks will generally be open to very favourable terms. McGann has not been co-operative or even tried, and his attitude is a slap in the face to all hard-pressed mortgage holders who do their best to pay their way.

As regards calling him a "small guy", small guys don't owe 400k to revenue and more to other creditors. Small guys are people who are struggling to make ends meet and still do their best to pay their way. McGann is a leech on society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

listermint wrote: »
    Forgive me but I just had to repost this again to hammer it home. This is the crux of this whole thing

This fella isn't small isn't normal and isn't a hard pressed average person. He's robbing from everyone's pockets and no different to these large scale developers you like to rage about.

Thanks to the poster below .

Where are the vigilantes, the New Land League and Freemen (lol) when actual poor people get ****ed out on the street I'd like to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

That line from Leo will be repeated again and again for years to come. Even FF will borrow it. Reeling in the Years will feature it!

As a response in the Dail by a Taoiseach, it was probably wrong to say it. However given the context of the heated debate, the general mood in the chamber and angry gritted teeth delivery, it was the ultimate knockout blow. Doherty was floored and I imagine Mary Lou even ducked in Jerusalem!

No matter what you think about Leo, he is infinitely more capable than the nonentity politician that was Enda Kenny.

But these days it's a luxury Burberry one ;)

• Advertisement

don't you mean the SF halo?

Where are the vigilantes, the New Land League and Freemen (lol) when actual poor people get ****ed out on the street I'd like to know.
    they might be there but it doesn't get covered in the media as much

they might be there but it doesn't get covered in the media as much

Facebook and Twitter doesn't light up...

In other words they're not there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C_wq1TXmDQ

This song will probably be No 1 next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 255 ✭✭PuppyMcPupFace

mgn wrote: »

Dear God that's ****ing dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Some of them are sent down south for a reason :

IRA sent us their 'rapists, abusers, rejects and ejects' -Taoiseach

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/ira-sent-us-their-rapists-abusers-rejects-and-ejects-taoiseach-30739977.html

Niall O'Connor

November 12 2014 5:10 PM

Women and children in the Republic have been preyed on for years by the IRA’s “undesirables and exiles”, according to Taoiseach Enda Kenny.
    During a highly charged Dail debate on the Mairia Cahill affair, Mr Kenny expressed deep concern that IRA and Sinn Fein sex abusers are at large in communities.

“Republicans, who thought so much of this republic, that they would honour us with their rapists, gift us their child abusers, their rejects and their ejects. Their undesirables and their exiles could live with - even prey on our women and our children,” Mr Kenny said.

“We don’t know who these men are. We don’t know what they’ve done since they arrived amongst us in their banishment but we need to know,” he added.

Ms Cahill, who was present during the debate, held her head in her hands as Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams claimed that the men and women who subjected her to a kangaroo court are “outstanding people”.

The individuals involved in the kangaroo court - Padraic Wilson, Seamus Finucane, Briege Wright and Maura McCrory - were all named under Dail privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

The sad verse:

Let’s stand inside the wall, of the man who pays ****all,
    Not the taxman or the local quarry,
    In his British four-by-four, with the sheriff at his door,
    He sent for twenty scumbags, in a Lorry....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Ahhh stop seriously, that's hilarious. Your man singing that should be mortified. Imagine this being your claim to fame.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Some of them are sent down south for a reason :

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/irelands-war-of-independence-the-chilling-story-of-the-black-and-tans-5336022.html

Have a read of this article from another Independent newspaper.
    You might learn something.

• Advertisement

I thought that song couldn't have been made any worse, it just has.

JCJCJC wrote: »
    The sad verse:

Let’s stand inside the wall, of the man who pays ****all,
    Not the taxman or the local quarry,
    In his British four-by-four, with the sheriff at his door,
    He sent for twenty scumbags, in a Lorry....

Not bad.Try another verse.

Dear God that's ****ing dire.

Bet you love Kylie so.

Bet you love Kyle so.

Kyle who ? Him off South Park ???

Kyle who ? Him off South Park ???

No,Kylie Minogue.

With knuckle draggers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Does that mean someone will be throwing petrol bombs through the windows in Parnell Square?

gandalf wrote: »
    With knuckle draggers...

Out of curiosity,How did you describe the water protesters when the were out in full force.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I'd rather listen to Baby Shark and Mr. Blobby non stop for a week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Out of curiosity,How did you describe the water protesters when the were out in full force.

Spongers.

Well I went on the early marches but stayed away once the Eirigi and PBP loons took control. BTW people not paying won that battle not the marches.

Spongers.

You were kinder than I so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Ahh come on...that singing is just comedy gold! It's brilliant.

Facebook and Twitter doesn't light up...

In other words they're not there at all.
    they well might be but they don't have the resources to string it out like richer people so it doesn't end up in the news, i just gave an example https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108962259&postcount=3812

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/irelands-war-of-independence-the-chilling-story-of-the-black-and-tans-5336022.html

Have a read of this article from another Independent newspaper.
    You might learn something.

The Black and Tans were scum. Everyone knows that.

What exactly does that have to do with Sinn Fein protecting paedos, and sending them to work with youth groups in the south?

In terms of whataboutery, that’s probably the most pathetic attempt we’ve ever seen on here - trumping the worst efforts of the most diehard shinnerbots. Quite the achievement really.

Unless of course you’re trying to say Sinn Feins contempt for the people of the Republic by sheltering paedos is on a par with the Black and Tans?

• Advertisement

blackwhite wrote: »
    The Black and Tans were scum. Everyone knows that.

What exactly does that have to do with Sinn Fein protecting paedos, and sending them to work with youth groups in the south?

In terms of whataboutery, that’s probably the most pathetic attempt we’ve ever seen on here - trumping the worst efforts of the most diehard shinnerbots. Quite the achievement really.

Unless of course you’re trying to say Sinn Feins contempt for the people of the Republic by sheltering paedos is on a par with the Black and Tans?

I posted that article in response to another article posted that has nothing to do with this thread.
    As for being a Sinn Fein supporter.I lived in London in the 80's and 90's when the IRA were bombing the place.I seen first hand the devastation and the abuse Irish people suffered because of them.So don't start that s*it with someone you nothing about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

blanch152 wrote: »
    Does that mean someone will be throwing petrol bombs through the windows in Parnell Square?

no, it just means wheeliebin30 is having a gossip. nothing new there then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

maccored wrote: »
    no, it just means wheeliebin30 is having a gossip. nothing new there then

Are you saying that what he posted was untrue?

Quite a reasonable assessment about the whole "To what extent does the difficulty in evicting people lead to higher mortgage interest rates" here:

Is Ireland’s low rate of repossession the reason mortgage rates are so high?

... 3. The bottom line
    The bottom line is that non-performing loans are one of the key factors in keeping mortgage rates here high by international standards. But they are not the only one.

The banks have nudged rates lower, but should have moved more rapidly now that they are generally back in profits, even if historic parts of their mortgage books remain problematic.

But the lack of new entrants and the persistence of long-term arrears are clear pointers to ongoing problems in our mortgage market. This, too, is a factor in keeping interest rates in Ireland higher, through the various channels we saw above – higher capital, higher costs and less competition.

Rather than looking at right and wrong here, the important thing for policy is that the trade-off is recognised.

Our politics, our regulations, and our legal system and courts has made it more difficult for banks to repossess than is the case in many international markets, or even north of the Border or in the UK, a jurisdiction which is legally quite similar to Ireland.

This probably reflects a wider societal sympathy for those in trouble with their mortgages, particularly given the extent of the crisis. Our housing crisis, and the lack of social housing in particular, has reinforced this view.

If we want to continue this approach then mortgage rates are always going to be a bit higher in Ireland. Meanwhile, there are two other policy implications. One is to push the banks to provide, where possible, other solutions short of repossession, including mortgage-to-rent schemes.

They have been remarkably slow to do this since the crisis. And to recognise that some of these solutions require some level of public subsidy.

The other is to decide where to draw the line on repossessions. Mortgages are cheaper than other loans precisely because they are secured lending.

If relatively large numbers of people can decide not to pay and yet not face repossession then the whole mortgage system breaks down. Yet it is clearly right that in the case of the family home, everything possible is done to avoid a repossession.

The sobering fact is 10 years after the crisis, we still have a large group of households in very long-term arrears and it is far from clear how these cases will be resolved.

Personally, I'd be inclined to think it's very unfair to people who must go out and work for their mortgage if somebody can stay somewhere and simply not pay for it. This is particularly so when the person in question has a record of tax evasion. There are far, far too many of these parasitic buckos in Irish society. In this case justice is actually served by removing the person in question from what is, in fact, somebody else's property. On the other hand, there's a definite, unmistakable rightwing whiff of the spirit of landlordism and land agents off some of the people in this thread who are saying something similar so I'm conflicted.

What I laugh about is how people have to be labelled right wing or left wing when they comment on a thread like this or on any social issue. Personally I have certain ideas and values that would be socialist in nature and at the same time I'd have other values that would be conservative. It's a very lazy mind that tries to classify people into neat little pigeon holes. It's too black and white for me.

In this case it is very clear that the individual in question didn't bother his ass to pay back what he owed. His behaviour should be offensive to left leaning and right leaning people equally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement