Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Report in the Irish Times today says that the army will be buying 120 trucks at a cost of nearly €25m from a company based in Strokestown!!!!

For those not paying to enter the paywall:
    The Defence Forces are to receive 120 new 4x4 vehicles at a cost of almost €25 million to the State.

Minister with Responsibility for Defence Paul Kehoe awarded the contract for the provision of vehicles to Westward Scania, which is a company based in Strokestown, Co Roscommon. The cost of the contract will be €24.6 million including VAT.

So each truck costs 200 grand!! Isn't that rather a lot? And it goes to a company in Strokestown of all places.

A political move?
    Here is the original tender document, all very transparent and advertised throughout the EU. Always welcome to challenge the result if you feel it was unfair https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders/ViewNotice/211319

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

caff wrote: »
    The brother owns a guest house aswell no reason for the to be homeless

I’m sure they don’t let their guests stay for free.
    Any connection between these two and the Scania brothers?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Ah ! Lookit!! Two lads just scratchin a livin ....why should they pay anything to the national coffers ?

No....fcuck tax an insurance ,,,,an fcuck rivinue as well ....Ris-common bize wowon't be bullied !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Ah ! Lookit!! Two lads just scratchin a livin ....why should they pay anything to the national coffers ?

No....fcuck tax an insurance ,,,,an fcuck rivinue as well ....Ris-common bize wowon't be bullied !!

You on the turps, amigo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

What?? Westward scania have been in business for decades and have no connection to the people being evicted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Report in the Irish Times today says that the army will be buying 120 trucks at a cost of nearly €25m from a company based in Strokestown!!!!

For those not paying to enter the paywall:
    The Defence Forces are to receive 120 new 4x4 vehicles at a cost of almost €25 million to the State.

Minister with Responsibility for Defence Paul Kehoe awarded the contract for the provision of vehicles to Westward Scania, which is a company based in Strokestown, Co Roscommon. The cost of the contract will be €24.6 million including VAT.

So each truck costs 200 grand!! Isn't that rather a lot? And it goes to a company in Strokestown of all places.

A political move?

Ah here, you`re on the wrong track with this. Westward Scania are and have been one of the biggest and best truck dealers in the country. Only natural they would be looking at tenders and would be in a position to supply. You will not win any Government tender these days unless all your ducks are in line

The McGanns have agreed to vacate the property. https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2020/1023/1173574-strokestown/
    I feel sorry for the brother and sister, who seem to be innocent victims of their brother’s actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The psa got their piece of the pie anyway.
    PSA prosecutes company for providing security services at Falsk, Co.
    Roscommon

Today, the 16th October 2020, GS Agencies Limited of Portadown, Craigavon,
    Co. Armagh was found guilty at Castlerea District Court of 6 breaches of
    the Private Security Services Act. The prosecution by the Private Security
    Authority followed the provision of an unlicensed security guard service at
    Falsk, Strokestown, Co. Roscommon in December 2018. Judge Deirdre Gearty
    fined the company €500 on each of 6 counts with costs of €7,500 awarded
    against the company.

The PSA’s Chief Executive, Paul Scallan, speaking after the court case said
    “This prosecution stems from investigations conducted around security
    services which were provided subsequent to a repossession of a property in
    Strokestown in 2018. While the PSA does not have any statutory role in
    regulating repossessions, we do regulate any security services which occur
    post a repossession. In this instance, a security guarding service was
    provided at a location in Falsk in the days following the repossession.
    Such services require a PSA licence and in this instance, the security
    provider, GS Agencies Limited was unlicensed.”

“I would like to acknowledge the commitment of our inspection team in
    investigating this matter. We are committed to eradicating unlicensed
    security services and our inspectors continue to conduct compliance
    activities across the county.”

The Private Security Authority (PSA), an agency of the Department of
    Justice and Equality, is responsible for the regulation and licensing of
    the security industry. The PSA licences over 1,400 contractors and 30,000
    employees. As well as contractors providing security guarding services, the
    PSA also licences intruder alarm, CCTV and access control services,
    locksmiths, private investigators, event security and door supervisors.
    Details on the PSA and licensing can be found on our website,
    www.psa.gov.ie .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    This is farm land, bidx1 (formally allsop) will sell your mother's wedding ring but recently had to end all involvement with the sale of repossessed Farm land

Farmers have zero regard for the law when it comes to banks trying to enforce debts on land, I was raised on a farm BTW

Hi there

Old post, so I'm not sure if you'll see this.

Can you elaborate a bit on "Farmers have zero regard for the law when it comes to banks trying to enforce debts on land".

Is this due to farm areas being a bit more lawless and people doing what they want (I have no ideas if this is true) or is it something specific about land laws?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The McGanns have agreed to vacate the property. https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2020/1023/1173574-strokestown/
    I feel sorry for the brother and sister, who seem to be innocent victims of their brother’s actions.

I doubt they are quite as innocent as you are making out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I doubt they are quite as innocent as you are making out.

Any word on the big sheds....... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

How much are these hoes and their supporters costing the State ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

https://www.thejournal.ie/strokestown-high-court-order-farm-eviction-5258200-Nov2020/
    Gardai involved now. Anyone found on the farm will be arrested and brought to court. Gardai to use any means necessary to arrest them.

About time.

Beltby wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/strokestown-high-court-order-farm-eviction-5258200-Nov2020/
    Gardai involved now. Anyone found on the farm will be arrested and brought to court. Gardai to use any means necessary to arrest them.

About time.

I'd say KBC are losing a hat of money over this farm. The legal fees must be colossal.

And then when the bank take possession of the farm, what will they do with it then? Anybody trying to live there, or farm it or develop it will surely be intimidated, there will be vandalism etc.

It's a pity such scummy behaviour (by the McGann's and their supporters) is being rewarded.

• Advertisement

I'd say KBC are losing a hat of money over this farm. The legal fees must be colossal.

And then when the bank take possession of the farm, what will they do with it then? Anybody trying to live there, or farm it or develop it will surely be intimidated, there will be vandalism etc.

It's a pity such scummy behaviour (by the McGann's and their supporters) is being rewarded.

It's not being rewarded, to be fair. Anyone found there will be getting a week in custody.

They can't be let away with it, otherwise no one would pay their mortgage.

Beltby wrote: »
    It's not being rewarded, to be fair. Anyone found there will be getting a week in custody.

They can't be let away with it, otherwise no one would pay their mortgage.

The McGanns have been rewarded for their sh1tty actions for the last 8 or 9 years. They've had a free house and a free farm during that time and are hanging in tooth and nail to cause as much hassle as possible. The McGann lad who used to own the house has a very long history of getting stuff and not bothering his hole to pay for it.

I don't care if I'm not popular but the eviction laws here are far too weak to deal with people who act the boll1x like the McGanns.

The McGanns have been rewarded for their sh1tty actions for the last 8 or 9 years. They've had a free house and a free farm during that time and are hanging in tooth and nail to cause as much hassle as possible. The McGann lad who used to own the house has a very long history of getting stuff and not bothering his hole to pay for it.

I don't care if I'm not popular but the eviction laws here are far too weak to deal with people who act the boll1x like the McGanns.

I can't disagree with any of that.

Two men arrested over failure to vacate property. What makes these people tick?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40089293.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

How many years have KBC been trying to get these crooks out of the place?

No wonder no new lenders want to come into the Irish market and provide a bit of competition.

We all end up paying higher mortgage fees and interest rates because of selfish and ignorant fcukers like this.

• Advertisement

Entitlement attitude Mary, and the support of morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

As the late Niall Toibín used to say, they were born 'tick'.

How many years have KBC been trying to get these crooks out of the place?

No wonder no new lenders want to come into the Irish market and provide a bit of competition.

We all end up paying higher mortgage fees and interest rates because of selfish and ignorant fcukers like this.

I worked for a time in a certain bank that wouldn't lend at all in a few counties where the security was worthless because the law on repossessions couldn't be applied - that's the effect of the vigilantes on ordinary decent people who will try to repay what they borrowed.

The sad thing is that when KBC eventually get possession of the house and farm, they will be able to do sweet fcukall with it.

Nobody would be stupid enough to buy it, even if they got it for ridiculously small money.

The sad thing is that when KBC eventually get possession of the house and farm, they will be able to do sweet fcukall with it.

Nobody would be stupid enough to buy it, even if they got it for ridiculously small money.

You could see a forestry company buying it, or a social housing organisation, there's always one. If there are agricultural entitlements going with the land it has more value than meets the eye.

JCJCJC wrote: »
    You could see a forestry company buying it, or a social housing organisation, there's always one. If there are agricultural entitlements going with the land it has more value than meets the eye.

A forrestry would be burned. Crops would be burned. Social housing would be burned. Fcuk it, if you dug a hole there, it would be burned.

A forrestry would be burned. Crops would be burned. Social housing would be burned. Fcuk it, if you dug a hole there, it would be burned.

Would it.

I think you might be a little off the mark there, bub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

An extra 1% on our mortgage interest rate, that’s how much ****ers like this cost us each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There's a price for everything. Even if it was bought and left to go wild it would still attract grants.

Someone will buy it. Get it for a good price now, ten, fifteen years down the line, these lads will be elderly and the sting will be taken out of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

There's a price for everything. Even if it was bought and left to go wild it would still attract grants.

Someone will buy it. Get it for a good price now, ten, fifteen years down the line, these lads will be elderly and the sting will be taken out of this.

I'd travel up and down to the North fairly regular and for the past number of years on the Bellanleck side of Enniskillen are large signs in fields 'advising' prospective buyers NOT to buy the land the signs are situated on. I haven't been up there since last March and the signs were still there and if I get back up I wouldn't be surprised if they still are.

I don't think I'd be prepared either financially or physically to take the risk when other locations, which are probably not so bad for your health are more than available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

someone bought gilligans old equestrian centre. so why wouldnt they buy this place in strokestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

There's plenty who will buy it, the McGann's lost a lot of sympathy over the past years and to be honest. most locals are plssed off with them entirely. It could well be sold to a buyer from outside the area who will send a manager in, there's a lot of good land there.

It's not like the farm in Croghan they tried to sell a few years back, the one where they had the demo at the auction in the Bush Hotel. McGann's owe a lot of money locally and most local businesses will welcome an honest farmer rather than them.

Not going to happen.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    someone bought gilligans old equestrian centre. so why wouldnt they buy this place in strokestown.

Coincidentally, Gilligan was living near Strokestown until fairly recently.

His centre had no taboo attached to it as he was a known gangster, so not the same circumstances.

KevRossi wrote: »
    Coincidentally, Gilligan was living near Strokestown until fairly recently.

His centre had no taboo attached to it as he was a known gangster, so not the same circumstances.

yes but people said the same about it, that no one would buy it.

gilligan will be living somewhere else from now on. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

You can feel the frustration of the judge in that article.

Would it.

I think you might be a little off the mark there, bub.

Time will tell.

Only asking here but did Gilligan have the support of the boys up North who wear the balaclavas even when it isn't cold out? Seems like that's who is supporting the boys in Strokestown.
    There's plenty who will buy it, the McGann's lost a lot of sympathy over the past years and to be honest. most locals are plssed off with them entirely. It could well be sold to a buyer from outside the area who will send a manager in, there's a lot of good land there.

It's not like the farm in Croghan they tried to sell a few years back, the one where they had the demo at the auction in the Bush Hotel. McGann's owe a lot of money locally and most local businesses will welcome an honest farmer rather than them.

Not going to happen.

Do you think a local would buy it, lets say in the next 5 years?

I doubt the IRA care about a farm in stroketown. wanabe IRA maybe?

I doubt the IRA care about a farm in stroketown. wanabe IRA maybe?

Who came down and kicked the fcuk out of the security that the Bank had put in place, the local Legion of Mary?

Who came down and kicked the fcuk out of the security that the Bank had put in place, the local Legion of Mary?

it wasn't the IRA anyway. just a bunch of thugs.

• Advertisement

Fair enough Gerry. :D

Do you think a local would buy it, lets say in the next 5 years?

Possible, but I don't think so, for the simple reason that there's always decent land for sale in Roscommon and they'd have less clueless PITA's coming up to them ranting at them in the mart, pub or wherever.

I reckon it'll be bought by a large farmer/group in the midlands or the east, they'll put a proper manager on it and run it professionally. If they do, there's plenty of people in Strokestown who'll be happy to do business with them.

If it's split into lots then a few locals might buy bits of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Possible, but I don't think so, for the simple reason that there's always decent land for sale in Roscommon and they'd have less clueless PITA's coming up to them ranting at them in the mart, pub or wherever.

I reckon it'll be bought by a large farmer/group in the midlands or the east, they'll put a proper manager on it and run it professionally. If they do, there's plenty of people in Strokestown who'll be happy to do business with them.

What big a farm is it acres/hectares wise?

Fcuked if I'd chance that job to be honest. While I agree that the previous owners might not have the support of all the locals, it's a risky business taking on that land.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

seligehgit wrote: »
    What big a farm is it acres/hectares wise?

If I recall it was around 90-100 acres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/busted-developers-house-hits-market-for-500000-29059181.html

The Hanleys only live a few miles away from the McGanns house and are seen as great businessmen in the area, owing hundreds of millions around place and the taxpayer,
    The McGanns are seen as idiots and fools for owing a few hundred thousand, looks like if your going to owe money, you might as well do it right.

And before anyone thinks i'm defending the McGanns, i'm not, the should have being evicted years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Is there a difference?

You can feel the frustration of the judge in that article.

There’s an amateur reporter who supports them called Anna Kavanagh. Comments on her Facebook give an insight into the mentality of their supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

There’s an amateur reporter who supports them called Anna Kavanagh. Comments on her Facebook give an insight into the mentality of their supporters.

I truly despair.

mgn wrote: »
    The Hanleys only live a few miles away from the McGanns house and are seen as great businessmen in the area, owing hundreds of millions around place and the taxpayer,

There is SFA respect in the area for the Hanleys, especially Alan Hanley. Bertie owed plenty of money in the 80's and only paid it back years later. Alan paid none of what he owed from the noughties.

People are sick of them too. Yes, they still employ a lot of people locally, but there's little love or respect for them.

Not at all. Some of the lads that buy these houses would as quickly burn the locals out. Besides, give it a couple of years and no one will give a sh/te. It'll be sold one way or the other.

The only hope these morons have is convincing a friend to buy it for them, at a knockdown price, and trying to get it back that way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement