Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'number barred' on my mother's phone

• 16-12-2018 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

'number barred' coming up on my mother's mobile, she is 80 years old and I tried to sort the issue for her yesterday on Facebook but the agent told me he would only speak to the account holder, she is almost 80 and hasn't a clue about Facebook and I can't access the other help services from my own mobile because I'm on 3 and it seems to stupidly automatically divert to the 3 helpline/webchat . He also told me the name I provided (my mother's name) doesn't match with the account despite the fact she's had the number for years. Can someone from eir please contact me to solve this issue, she needs her mobile.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,485 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is there a chance the account is still in a deceased persons name?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Itslupus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is there a chance the account is still in a deceased persons name?

No, I think the issue may be that it wasn't topped up with credit in a couple of months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Itslupus wrote: »
    'number barred' coming up on my mother's mobile, she is 80 years old and I tried to sort the issue for her yesterday on Facebook but the agent told me he would only speak to the account holder, she is almost 80 and hasn't a clue about Facebook and I can't access the other help services from my own mobile because I'm on 3 and it seems to stupidly automatically divert to the 3 helpline/webchat . He also told me the name I provided (my mother's name) doesn't match with the account despite the fact she's had the number for years. Can someone from eir please contact me to solve this issue, she needs her mobile.
    Hi Itslupus, 

The error message 'number barred' when dialling out would normally suggest that the number has not been topped up for 90 days. 

Unfortunately for data protection, we are only able to deal directly with the account holder. If you go into your local eir store with your mother they will be able to advise on the status of the account and advise you on what steps are needed to activate this again.  Alternatively, our customer care team via 1901 will be able to assist also. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Thanks for replying Tracy but how exactly was ringing 1901 supposed to help? There is not one option to speak to customer service, just automated messages that don't relate to my problem, please provide a number to speak to an agent, this should not be a difficult issue to fix, as I explained, my mother is elderly and this is something she needs my assistance with, I don't need to drag her to a store to solve this I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Thanks for replying Tracy but how exactly was ringing 1901 supposed to help? There is not one option to speak to customer service, just automated messages that don't relate to my problem, please provide a number to speak to an agent, this should not be a difficult issue to fix, as I explained, my mother is elderly and this is something she needs my assistance with, I don't need to drag her to a store to solve this I'm sure
    Our 1901 number is the only contact number for our customer care team I'm afraid, you would need to pick an option to get through to an agent. As the number has been deactivated it may not be recognised as an active account within our IVR system.

If you are unable to get assistance this way due to data protection purposes, going into the store would be the only other option, unfortunately. 

I'm sorry it's not better news. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Advertisement

I am utterly disgusted at the way this has been handled , to cut off my mother's number without notice and no way to restore the number she has had for well over ten years is bad enough but then when I asked the agent to unlock the phone he told me that wasn't possible even though the website clearly states that the criteria is 'you have topped up by a minimum of €120 of call credit since the phone has been activated' , there has probably been thousands put into the phone over the years and he tells me the phone isn't eligible to be unlocked? What kind of garbage is that? So just before Christmas you leave an elderly woman with no mobile, and won't even unlock it so she can pick up a sim locally? Not to mention the inconvenience of having a change of number after years. This is the second such experience of shoddy treatment from eir this year, I will ensure that the next mobile provider she has won't be eir. Unbelievably unhelpful customer service and doing the most to avoid customers at all costs, not to mention being being unmanageable for older customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eir: Grainne

I am utterly disgusted at the way this has been handled , to cut off my mother's number without notice and no way to restore the number she has had for well over ten years is bad enough but then when I asked the agent to unlock the phone he told me that wasn't possible even though the website clearly states that the criteria is 'you have topped up by a minimum of €120 of call credit since the phone has been activated' , there has probably been thousands put into the phone over the years and he tells me the phone isn't eligible to be unlocked? What kind of garbage is that? So just before Christmas you leave an elderly woman with no mobile, and won't even unlock it so she can pick up a sim locally? Not to mention the inconvenience of having a change of number after years. This is the second such experience of shoddy treatment from eir this year, I will ensure that the next mobile provider she has won't be eir. Unbelievably unhelpful customer service and doing the most to avoid customers at all costs, not to mention being being unmanageable for older customers.
    Hi Itslupus, 

I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience that this has caused you and your mother. 

What I would advise is depending on how long it has been since your mother's phone was topped up if the phone is topped up by a minimum of €5 the service can be reactivated. 

You can top up on this link here

Grainne

Thanks Grainne , that worked , it's just a shame that it couldn't have been solved more simply , I know the helpline agents are tied to a 'computer says no' script but honestly the population is getting older and if I wasn't available to sort this for my mother there is no way she could have fixed this by herself, please pass along this message if you can, if you are going to cut someone off at least send someone a message, take a cut of the next top up if necessary if it violates the
    Contract but don't threaten people like that. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eir: Grainne

Thanks Grainne , that worked , it's just a shame that it couldn't have been solved more simply , I know the helpline agents are tied to a 'computer says no' script but honestly the population is getting older and if I wasn't available to sort this for my mother there is no way she could have fixed this by herself, please pass along this message if you can, if you are going to cut someone off at least send someone a message, take a cut of the next top up if necessary if it violates the
    Contract but don't threaten people like that. Thanks again.
    Hi itslupus, 

Thanks for letting me know that this was resolved. 

My apologies that this was not resolved quickly. I completely understand the frustration that this has caused you and your mother.  

I will certainly pass this feedback on. 

Thanks,
    Grainne

Advertisement