Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good & Bad Areas to buy a house in Dublin

Options
  • 16-12-2018 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

My husband and I are planning to buy a house in Dublin (or suburbs) next year. We are both not originally from Dublin, so we are not very aware which areas are considered to be good or bad.

We would like to rise a family, so the area being safe and children friendly is important too.

I've heard that we should avoid; Ballymun, Finglas, Tallaght, Ballyfermot, Crumlin. Are there any other areas to avoid?

What areas are considered generally nice? I know South Dublin is nice but can be not so affordable for middle class (which we are).

Outside Dublin, we like Celbridge, Leixlip and old Lucan. Are those nice and safe areas?

What about Clonsilla, Ongar, Clonee, Tyrrelstown, Clongriffin, Swords?

Any advice about areas/neighbourhoods around Dublin would be very much appreciated.

Budget for 2-3 bedroom house - €260,000-€290,000.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Carlingford Locked

I'm afraid with a small budget like that you may have to live with some awful people who may not be quite in your middle class. But no, you wouldn't get anything these days in the South Dublin you're talking about for that price I don't think. Just search by price on Daft and see what's available, then you can research the areas that show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Not a chance, anywhere. And you've heard wrong about a lot of places you've been told to avoid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Personally I would avoid clondalkin and finglas

Happy4all wrote: »

Even East Finglas where Bono is from? What's wrong with that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bex0 wrote: »
    I've heard that we should avoid; Ballymun, Finglas, Tallaght, Ballyfermot, Crumlin.

Sounds like 1982 or so.

OP, your budget is really small for Dublin. Have a look on myhome.ie and see what you can find (allowing that anything affordable will probably go for higher).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

You might still be lucky if you search Daft by maximium price 295K.
    Try Sallynoggin, Kimmage, Inchicore. Northside, consider Balbriggan, Kilbarrack, Artane.
    Small places in that price range can still be found...fingers crossed!

"Outside Dublin, we like Celbridge, Leixlip and old Lucan. Are those nice and safe areas?

What about Clonsilla, Ongar, Clonee, Tyrrelstown, Clongriffin, Swords?"

Yes, all those are ok - you will have to look long and hard, but you will find someplace for a starter home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Would you consider buying in another area or is it for work or other reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Birneybau wrote: »
    Not a chance, anywhere. And you've heard wrong about a lot of places you've been told to avoid

Really?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Really?

i live in dublin going on several years now and id sure as fcuk not buy in any of those areas so as far as im concerned she heard right

the idea of a 2-3 bed anywhere else on that money is dreamland obv

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

I would not be looking at Kilbarrack. No properties in Inchicore are under €300,000 unless you buy an apartment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Those areas you were warned against are a very mixed bag. They are all very big suburbs for a start. Good and bad areas within them. But when I was buying my Dublin house I didn't consider moving to any of them and I still wouldn't. Not a hope I'd raise kids in them.

I would not be looking at Kilbarrack. No properties in Inchicore are under €300,000 unless you buy an apartment.

What's wrong with Kilbarrack? God, I'm glad I didn't have this snobby attitude when buying a house or I'd still be living with my parents ffs. If you're in the better parts of Finglas or Kilbarrack you might not be able to get a flat white on every corner but you're not going to get gunned down when you leave your house or have a horse grazing outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Also, Lucan is a bit rough and celbridge has more than it's fair share of druggies.

Would you consider maynooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Also, Lucan is a bit rough and celbridge has more than it's fair share of druggies.

Would you consider maynooth?

depends on what side of lucan, the village side is grand, would avoid foxborough for the most part and anything closer to clondalkin than the penny hill pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Bex0 wrote: »
    I know South Dublin is nice but can be not so affordable for middle class (which we are

Is 'middle class' a thing? Genuinely have never heard anyone describe themselves as middle class.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

i live in dublin going on several years now and id sure as fcuk not buy in any of those areas so as far as im concerned she heard right

the idea of a 2-3 bed anywhere else on that money is dreamland obv

100%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

Nice places with reasonable property values ~ Baldoyle, Donaghmeade, Swords, Kinsealy, Clongriffin, Balgriffin.

You are right to avoid the place you have pointed out.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Jesus, it seems that 50% of Dublin needs to be avoided according to this!

OP, all areas have good parts and bad parts (some good parts are bigger, some bad parts are bigger).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

It seems from your post that you know very little about Dublin or buying in Dublin and therefore I suggest that you move to Dublin, rent first, and get to learn.more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Wesser wrote: »
    It seems from your post that you know very little about Dublin or buying in Dublin and therefore I suggest that you move to Dublin, rent first, and get to learn.more.

I'd be hazarding a guess it's a potential WUM. I know with Crumlin, probably the case everyone - add 50k onto the asking price you see...

• Advertisement

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP Tallaght, for example, is a massive area which has it's good parts and bad parts so I wouldn't avoid the whole place entirely.

Honestly though if you don't know Dublin at all, I'd recommend renting for a year before buying in an area to see do you like it there, does it work for getting to and from work, are there facilities like shops nearby that you're happy with etc.

Despite being from Dublin, that's what myself and my partner did for an area neither of us were massively familiar with and it gave us a really good idea of it before investing a large sum of money into it.

Why do you want to buy in Dublin?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Old areas of Tallaght and Clondalkin are well settled and safe. Majority of Crumlin these days are safe too. Whoever told you 'areas' to avoid must be in their 50s/60s and stories to tell from 30 years ago. With a small budget you really shouldnt be nitpicking or at least increase your budget by 100k tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Is 'middle class' a thing? Genuinely have never heard anyone describe themselves as middle class.

Middle class, is no class...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

What's wrong with Kilbarrack? God, I'm glad I didn't have this snobby attitude when buying a house or I'd still be living with my parents ffs. If you're in the better parts of Finglas or Kilbarrack you might not be able to get a flat white on every corner but you're not going to get gunned down when you leave your house or have a horse grazing outside.

He/She hasn't a clue... alot of nice areas in Kilbarrack and I reckon the poster could only dream of owning a home in certain parts of Kilbarrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Some lovely areas in Clondalkin, would not be avoiding it at all !!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

OP, it'll be quite hard if not impossible to the a 3 bed house for that amount of money so your best bet is probably to target the areas that you have been told to avoid! As previously mentioned, there are parts of these areas that are really nice to live in, and because of the negative reps associated with the area, are possibly affordable for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Places like tallaght you mentioned are quite large and would be among Irelands largest urban areas if counted separately from the rest of Dublin

So there are a mixture of good and bad places within them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I regularly hear people call themselves middle class

Advertisement