Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good & Bad Areas to buy a house in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

The village part of Ballyfermot closer to Inchicore/Chapelizod is very nice and settled - not one to avoid I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

For anyone buying in Dublin who doesn't know it very well, check out this map https://maps.pobal.ie/WebApps/DeprivationIndices/index.html

Don't be put off by it being called a "Deprivation Index", it's essentially a research tool. It takes the information from the last census and colour codes different areas of Dublin based on unemployment rates, level of educational achievement and rate of population change. I've found it to be pretty accurate, with some surprising small pockets of areas that are better than I thought or worse than I thought. Just zoom in on Dublin and click the drop down "Pobal Deprivation" arrow on the right side bar, and then click "2016 Census". You can compare to the 2006 and 2011 Census' to see which areas are improving over time, though that might be skewed somewhat by the effects of the crash.

Filter Daft/Myhome for houses within your price bracket (which will be few with your budget) and then use the map to find the best area, while bearing in mind transport links to your jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Goose76 wrote: »
    The village part of Ballyfermot closer to Inchicore/Chapelizod is very nice and settled - not one to avoid I would say.

Also I’d rather live in Ballyfermot or Crumlin than somewhere like Ongar or Swords, personally. The latter may be a tad “nicer” but are fairly soulless and still have their fair share of social problems, not to mention the distance from town.

Give me an older village with some character anyday. Plus proximity to town a huge plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

+1 on Kilbarrack, I might not be middle class but for a working class lad like myself I've loved living here. OP's budget won't get a 3 bed out here though, they might squeeze in a 2 bed. Ideally buy on the Greendale/Foxfield side of the tracks.

On the whole middle class thing, I hear a lot of clerical workers describing themselves thus, to me it's always been the traditional professions, lawyer, doctor etc. what were middle class. I'm not directing this as the OP but some people have 'notions' about where they should be living based on perceived class, personally I'd just be looking to make the best of what I could afford and not be worrying about whether my neighbor works in IT or is a plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Settled district, quite central and respectable: also, older council houses are larger than many new privately built apartments.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin-city/houses-for-sale/kimmage/?ad_type=sale&advanced=1&s%5Bmxp%5D=300000&s%5Badvanced%5D=1&searchSource=sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Settled district, quite central and respectable: also, older council houses are larger than many new privately built apartments.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin-city/houses-for-sale/kimmage/?ad_type=sale&advanced=1&s%5Bmxp%5D=300000&s%5Badvanced%5D=1&searchSource=sale

Those specific addresses are close enough to kimmage but Stanaway and Cashel Roads are in Crumlin, one of the areas that the 'middle-class' OP was being warned away from.

Just shows how nominal some of the assessments here are about rough areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

OP, at your budget your decision about areas in which to buy is a lot easier as price will eliminate a lot of areas straight away. As has been suggested earlier go on to daft or my home.ie & limit your search criteria to all areas & max 300k (or to be more realistic €275).

Then start worrying about areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

You've been misled, about the areas to avoid and that you are middle class with a budget of 290k.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Every time we have one of these threads the same thong happens 'this areas bad, no its not, it used to be etc...'

The reality of it is your perspective depends on where you grew up. If you lived in ballymun 30 years ago ofcourse to you the ballymun of today is a much nicer place to be , however if you grew up in dalkey it may aswell be chernobyl as far as youre concerned. A lot of it is really down to what you knew, Id wager that almost anyone saying ballymun / finglas etc.. isnt a bad area anymore would have grown up in that area or a similar area.

Ireland is also very much about where you were from before, somebody born in crumlin might have a grand time and never be bothered by the local anti social element because their ma used to go to school with your ma etc... a blow in with no local ties to the area (especially if its clear theyre not from around there ) will have a much harder times.

Objectively on paper by crime stats, deprivation index, unemployment stats and even insurance loadings on areas , the traditional ballymun, finglas, ballyfermot, crumlin etc.. are still worse for crime and anti social behaviour than the likes of ongar or new developments in swords that may be 'soulless' but are still safer.

I find an easy metric is count the number of bookies and pubs in a town, the more of them the worse it likely is. If you can visably see a probation office its likely not great either.

Doesnt mean youre going to get robbed every week, but paying double on the car insurance and having that pub you have to tell your teenage kids not to walk by at night might seem normal to some and a nightmare to others.

Judging by the OP asking , Im going to guess that they are used to areas where kids on scramblers, burned out cars and gangs of kids in hoodies riding round bikes at 2am are things theyve only heard about in papers, if you find that 'common' or are saying 'well it used to happen a lot more' then youre probably not living in / from the kind of area that the OP wants, so in the scope of thos thread, those are bad areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

I recently bought in Tallaght - however in Old Bawn. Your budget would not get you anything here so be careful on the generalities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

No response from the 'middle class' op then

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Totally agree I have lived in Lally Road in lower ballyfermot for about 4 years, not one bit of bother great neighbours and lovely and quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm familiar with the North Bay area, I've bought and sold successfully and I'd predict solid growth in these two areas due to public transport DART, improving services, new builds with good infrastructure, mature buyers and the two areas being hemmed by good areas.

Portmarnock and Harmonstown.

Apartment dwelling might be the only option in Portmarnock, but you've got a beach and decent parklands.

Harmonstown isn't even listed on DAFT, but it's an area worth looking at.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/portmarnock/32-millbank-the-links-portmarnock-dublin-1949872/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Birneybau wrote: »
    No response from the 'middle class' op then

Ah lots of people call themselves middle class even when theyre not its no big deal, I guess more culturally middle class as in theyre not skangers or on the dole and have no major money problems

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

We're the squeezed middle paying for everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Birneybau wrote:
    Not a chance, anywhere. And you've heard wrong about a lot of places you've been told to avoid

They mentioned 5 areas. I wouldn't buy a house in parts of any of them with your money.

Tallaght - there are some reasonable parts of Tallaght but there are also some really terrible places. I lived in Springfield.

Ballyfermot - unless you are from there or an area similar why would you want to live there. I know some really good people from there but even they say it.

Finglas - maybe if its close to Glasnevin area it might be ok.

Ballymun - a good friend of mine lives in Coultry Gardens. He's happy there. But he did grow up there. I wouldn't buy a house there myself.

Crumlin - depending on where in Crumlin this would be the best of the 5 mentioned. Equally though, there are some pretty rough parts

@OP - for your budget it's going to be a commuter town for you if you don't want to live in a rough part of Dublin.

Is 'middle class' a thing? Genuinely have never heard anyone describe themselves as middle class.

University educated earning c.50k pa

antodeco wrote:
    Jesus, it seems that 50% of Dublin needs to be avoided according to this!

Probably closer to 70%

I always laugh when these threads come about and people take offense to someone saying an area is not great.

It's subjective ffs! If you were born and raised in Foxrock then you probably wouldn't view Knocklyon as a particularly great area. Equally if you were born and raised in Darndale then Ballyfermot might be a good area to buy in for you.

If you like the area you grew up in great, but it may not stack up to the area another person grew up in and that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Also I’d rather live in Ballyfermot or Crumlin than somewhere like Ongar or Swords, personally. The latter may be a tad “nicer” but are fairly soulless and still have their fair share of social problems, not to mention the distance from town.

Give me an older village with some character anyday. Plus proximity to town a huge plus.

As someone from Ongar (not originally of course but living there the last 13 years), I do agree with a lot of what you say (distance from city centre, some social problems, can be soulless but not necessarily more than any other part of Dublin) but would challenge some of it also. If OP has no roots to Dublin and wants somewhere to start a family and is affordable, then you could do a lot worse than places like Ongar or nearby Hansfield.

There are lots of new and nearly new families in the area and very active residents associations, tidy town volunteer groups, neighbourhood watch groups and family associations. There are community centre halls in place, street parties organized during the summer, Halloween and Christmas parties for the kids and neighbours to meet also. Train stations at Clonsilla and Hansfield and frequent bus connections. ( I get from Hansfield to IFSC in less than 30 minutes every morning by train - it used to take me the same time on the bus from Phibsboro to IFSC when I lived there) Numerous schools in the area and an extensive main street of shops, cafes, pub, supermarket.

Prices are a tad more affordable also than other areas too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Carlingford Locked

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm familiar with the North Bay area, I've bought and sold successfully and I'd predict solid growth in these two areas due to public transport DART, improving services, new builds with good infrastructure, mature buyers and the two areas being hemmed by good areas.

Portmarnock and Harmonstown.

Apartment dwelling might be the only option in Portmarnock, but you've got a beach and decent parklands.

Harmonstown isn't even listed on DAFT, but it's an area worth looking at.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/portmarnock/32-millbank-the-links-portmarnock-dublin-1949872/

I'm from Harmo. Way too many tracksuits and strong accents for the OP. It's not as rough as it used to be though.
    Given their budget, if they want to avoid certain types of people, they're going to have to live way out of town and commute for hours a day. Some people prefer to do that than to have commoners around them where they live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I'd like to know where in Dublin you can live for under 300k and have everything you ever dreamed of .

I bought in Edenmore . A few scaremongering comments online i read at the time but havent had one bit of trouble . My road is dead with very nice neighbors . Each to their own i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'd like to know where in Dublin you can live for under 300k and have everything you ever dreamed of .

I bought in Edenmore . A few scaremongering comments online i read at the time but havent had one bit of trouble . My road is dead with very nice neighbors . Each to their own i suppose

A friend of mine comes from Edenmore and he said it would have had a bit of a reputation up to the 1980s as it was primarily a council estate neighbourhood back then. The last 30 years have seen the area mature, houses being purchased privately, age profile increasing (less teenagers and those of an age normally associated with ASBOs) so Edenmore is as you describe now.

This is reflective of many areas of Dublin (Blanchardstown, Crumlin, Kimmage, Cabra, Drimnagh) that were previously associated as being very heavily council estate neighbourhoods back in the day but have gradually matured into safe residential areas now. The reputation is always the last thing to go and as we know, perception always carries more weight then reality unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

I have sent you a private mail, and receive no reply. If you prefer I will not send any further messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm from Harmo. Way too many tracksuits and strong accents for the OP. It's not as rough as it used to be though.
    Given their budget, if they want to avoid certain types of people, they're going to have to live way out of town and commute for hours a day. Some people prefer to do that than to have commoners around them where they live.

It's going to be a cracking, well sought after area in ten years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It's going to be a cracking, well sought after area in ten years time.

It already is. Near perfect location .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Happy4all wrote: »
    Also, Lucan is a bit rough and celbridge has more than it's fair share of druggies.

Would you consider maynooth?

Lucan village is nice(expensive though) but you're dependant on buses.
    I think the comment about druggies in Celbridge is unfair and inaccurate too, especially in comparison to other North Kildare towns.
    Maynooth is nice, and well serviced by public transport.
    I'd pick any of them to rear a family in over any of the places you have mentioned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It already is. Near perfect location .

Anywhere in or close to Raheny is a great location, but I doubt there will be much in the OP's budget range.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bex0

JDD wrote: »
    For anyone buying in Dublin who doesn't know it very well, check out this map

Don't be put off by it being called a "Deprivation Index", it's essentially a research tool. It takes the information from the last census and colour codes different areas of Dublin based on unemployment rates, level of educational achievement and rate of population change. I've found it to be pretty accurate, with some surprising small pockets of areas that are better than I thought or worse than I thought. Just zoom in on Dublin and click the drop down "Pobal Deprivation" arrow on the right side bar, and then click "2016 Census". You can compare to the 2006 and 2011 Census' to see which areas are improving over time, though that might be skewed somewhat by the effects of the crash.

Filter Daft/Myhome for houses within your price bracket (which will be few with your budget) and then use the map to find the best area, while bearing in mind transport links to your jobs.

Thank you very much. This is amazing!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Even East Finglas where Bono is from? What's wrong with that?

Well Bono's from there for a start.

Advertisement