Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good & Bad Areas to buy a house in Dublin

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bex0

Hi everyone, just to address few points. We are not Irish but have been living in Dublin for the last 13 years, so we are familiar with Dublin and we love living here. However, because we didn't grow up here it makes it very difficult to actually know the city the way a person who was born and raised in Dublin. This is why I wanted to hear local people and their opinions. And thank you it was very helpful.

Apologies if ''middle class'' sounds odd or pretentious. I actually just wanted to say that we are both working professionals with average salaries and have no rich parents that can contribute or help us in any way.

And the main reason we are looking into which areas are safer is because eventually we want to have children. I can handle rougher parts but I would want my kids to grow up in a nicer area, although I know our budget is not very big.

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Well Bono's from there for a start.

Hehe :) Think the houses are asking for 400k plus down that way and they have the "Glasnevin north" paint job! :P

Unfortunately Lucan has had a bad rep in the last few years with murders and assaults. I would never go back there again!

Think the "safest" area is an area with the least amount of teenagers around to cause anti-social behaviour, that is look to the settled established areas with their amenities rather than the new areas as the latter has far more young families raising kids, too many teenagers in the future. (no offence to respectable teenagers! ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Yellow_Blue

Hi All,

Where would be the best place to buy house in current climate. We were looking at Portmanok Dun Si, due to close proximity to Dart/ Airport / beach.

But it looks like being close to the airport has its own disadvantages ( noise)

Are Maynooh or Clonsilla any good? After reading Donnabate thread , it looks like it's not an option due to high number of potential social houses.

Same for Burrow view.

We are not looking at the South as its too far from airport

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Maynooth is a great lively town, much nicer and better laid out than any other surrounding town. Unfortunately it has a massive problem with traffic..even on weekends which has only worsened due to a very heavy amount of building in recent years. This will probably have altered a bit due to Covid etc. but is worth a few trips out at different times to judge it.

Clonsilla has a lot of construction going on. I live near it but don't know it that well. Very nice village feel to it but most of the houses seem to be very old and might require a lot of work. If you are looking at Portmarnock and Maynooth budget wise though, maybe you would be interested in Castleknock? Great location but prices are relatively high there.

Maynooth is a great lively town, much nicer and better laid out than any other surrounding town. Unfortunately it has a massive problem with traffic..even on weekends which has only worsened due to a very heavy amount of building in recent years. This will probably have altered a bit due to Covid etc. but is worth a few trips out at different times to judge it.

Clonsilla has a lot of construction going on. I live near it but don't know it that well. Very nice village feel to it but most of the houses seem to be very old and might require a lot of work. If you are looking at Portmarnock and Maynooth budget wise though, maybe you would be interested in Castleknock? Great location but prices are relatively high there.

Thanks for reminding me about Castleknock, I do see I decent house coming up just today. It's a little bit dear though for 3 beds. Might worth monitoring prices though.

Is it a good area of Castlenock?

I dont remember seeing many supermarkets in that area...

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/castleknock/21-fairhaven-walk-castleknock-dublin-2736231/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Thanks for reminding me about Castleknock, I do see I decent house coming up just today. It's a little bit dear though for 3 beds. Might worth monitoring prices though.

Is it a good area of Castlenock?

I dont remember seeing many supermarkets in that area...

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/castleknock/21-fairhaven-walk-castleknock-dublin-2736231/

It's a right on the border of Castleknock/Ashtown. There's a fairly new Lidl in Castleknock village which is probably a 3 min drive from that house (without traffic).

The Phoenix Park racecourse development next to it has a cafe, take away, shop etc.

Train line from either NRP or Ashtown both within walking distance. Bus route servicing town too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭crossman47

Those areas you were warned against are a very mixed bag. They are all very big suburbs for a start. Good and bad areas within them. But when I was buying my Dublin house I didn't consider moving to any of them and I still wouldn't. Not a hope I'd raise kids in them.

I don't know about all the areas mentioned but there are large areas of Tallaght which are fine (Bancroft, Belgard and Kingswood for starters). This labelling of what is a city in its own right by Irish standards infuriates me. Yes there are bad areas too but there is crime all over Dublin. Mind you, in D4 it is white collar crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Some lovely estates in swords near the village. Swords has loads of amenities and close to malahide, donabate, good transport links etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The OP has to go and have to check areas out themselves.

I changed to working in an area they have a not great reputation, low and behold a large part of it is expensive, very nice, excellent public transport and very good schools.

Other good indications are https://www.irishtimes.com/feeder-schools/ look at where the schools with the highest third-level transfer are located.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

What about Ashbourne? I don't know it well myself but a friend recently bought there and seems happy, easy enough to get into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think swords is a good area to buy in .
    there are quiet parts of blanchardstown too if you buy in a non local authority estate.
    Just do not buy close to a pub, or close to a council estate.
    Look on myhome.ie , daft.ie
    I do,nt think you,d find any house in portmarnock less than.
    I lived in santry for years,its a very quiet area with good bus service to the city centre.
    beaumont near santry is a good area to buy in.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/ballybough/31-kings-avenue-ballybough-dublin-2683807/

in dublin north city centre there are quiet area,s .
    You can buy a 2 bed house for 250k approx.
    it,ll have a small back garden or yard.
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/north-dublin-city/?s%5Bmxp%5D=275000
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/dublin-7/23-broadstone-avenue-broadstone-dublin-7-dublin-2740043/

broadstone is a quiet area .
    There are quiet area,s around dublin 1,2, with small terraced house,s
    on that budget you,d probably have to go for a 2bed house.
    Dont ignore dublin 1 ,2, just because its very close to the city centre .

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bex0

Update: we bought a house in Leixlip and could not be happier! Of course, we had to go way above our budget but it's worth it. Thank you so much for all of the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Well Bono's from there for a start.

Yes, that means one should avoid Killiney, then. Lol

Advertisement