Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specsavers Frames - Display Models only

Options
  • 17-12-2018 5:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hello,

TL;DR... should specsavers be selling their actual shop floor display model frames, or brand new packaged ones that match the display model?

My girlfriend was getting new glasses in specsavers recently when I noticed that they were fitting the shop floor display models to her specifications.

I have dealt with a different store in the past and seem to remember that they get the model number of the display frames and then get that model from the stock that they have.

I discussed this with my girlfriend, questioning whether she thought it was ok to spend the amount she had on display models which are not in brand new condition (being tester frames).

After talking with the store assistant again, she confirmed that the display models were the ones that were going to be fitted with the lenses. I inquired further and was told the about high turnaround on frames and not having to worry about them being on the shop floor any longer than a couple of days. I consider this to be a spiel considering the number of frames in the shop and amount of potential customers this branch would have.

Not wanting any further confrontation my girlfriend agreed to the display models and I didn't bother pushing the matter any further.

I suppose my question is, is this normal practice for specsavers considering the amount of times the frames would be tested out in store prior to purchase?

If this is normal practice, should it be? Or am i being too particular? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The store assistants response seemed a reasonable explanation to me. I think you might be very particular here...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

They may have been the last pair of that style they had. I'm waiting for new glasses from Vision Express and had to take the display frames. They'll be well cleaned and inspected before I get them so I'm not concerned. If your gf isn't bothered then there's no problem?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I recently bought frames from Specsavers and I wasn't happy with either of them - the regular glasses had very loose arms and kept falling off, and one of the arms on the sunglasses was damaged. I called back in and at the time asked had I been given the display models and they gave the same explanation as was given to the OP. I repeated that I wasn't happy with the frames, particularly after having spent close to €400 on them, so they agreed to order me in new ones and swap the lenses over.

There is a marked difference between the original set I received and the new set - the new set aren't as flimsy and loose, and obviously the damage isn't there on the sunglasses. I think in theory, selling the display models because of the quick turnover might work, however in my case it appears that the display models I got had been manhandled by either customers or staff, and were definitely not fit to be sold on.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Damien85

This is the situation I'm wary of. Had I known they would use the display samples, I would have made sure we'd given them a good inspection for wear.

As far as turnover for this store, I won't say where it is, but there's not a hope that the display samples are replaced every day or other day. I'd be surprised if they were replaced within a month or two.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd imagine the turnover in the store where I went would be quite high because it's always really busy. However, I was always under the impression that glasses you bought would be brand new. I've been going to Specsavers for years, and I've never encountered this issue, so either it's a new practice or else I've just been lucky up to now. In fairness to them, when I insisted I wasn't happy with the frames, they did order me new ones without giving me hassle. Going forward though, I'll have to make sure to inspect any frames thoroughly before buying, which I wouldn't expect to have to do. It's a pair of glasses FFS, not a 2nd hand car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Damien85

I did make a similar analogy in store of a display model toaster in some electrical shop. More often than not the handles are loose or broken from overuse. I wouldn't expect that without a heavy discount.

It didn't go down too well. The assistant was definitely playing hardball. To be honest I was getting bad vibes in the shop from early on, way too much talk about sales targets and other things and such on the shop floor between the staff. Not something I'd expect to see in front of customers, even if it was only a handful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

amdublin wrote: »
    The store assistants response seemed a reasonable explanation to me. I think you might be very particular here...
    If you went into Power City and bought a TV, would you be happy with them boxing up the display model for you and charging you full price for the pleasure?

OP, I wouldn't be happy with this personally. If they have a high turnaround of frames then all the more reason they should have them brand new, unused, in the back. Display models are exactly that, display models. If you're given the display model then you should be given a discount along with it, imo.

Advertisement