Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How best to give up dummy

Options
  • 17-12-2018 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

My 9 month old has me up to him at least 3 times an hour to give back the dummy at night and I’m exhausted. I think the only thing to do is to take away the dummy altogether. I have read about placing the dummies around the cot but to be honest even when he has it in his hand he won’t put it back in his mouth.

Has anyone any experience of taking the dummy away and how long did it take for baby to get used to not having it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,200 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Throw them out there's no easy way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We used the short clip on straps with our eldest she quickly learned to find it during the night.

We were lucky one of ours didn’t take a soother at all ever, and the eldest got bad chicken poks in her mouth and threw out the soother herself blaming it for hurting her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Ah it's not a great age for getting rid of it. I'd wait another few months until he's old enough to understand that it's going and why. I know how frustrating it is but chances are any day now he'll figure out how to put it back in his mouth himself. Definitely scatter a few around the cot - it does help!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭OrlaFS2017

Used the sleepytot bunny on both of mine-life saver & dodis gone for the eldest but still used as a comforter.
    https://www.sleepytot.com/collections/frontpage

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

Leave a few months until he can understand, then maybe have the Easter bunny or Santa take it away to swap for a present? That's what happened us :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Try leaving it for nighttime only
    We made 'going to dodo' a treat so bedtime was actually nice and relaxing for him
    He go used to going without it during the day and associated it with bedtime
    Eventually it just went

Advertisement