Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal Demolition in Dublin 8!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

The PP linked is an approved demolition of an existing extension...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I have no idea what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Odelay

Don’t get it

Demolish house
    ????
    Profit

What were they trying to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

But not the whole house....

Odelay wrote: »
    Don’t get it

Demolish house
    ????
    Profit

What were they trying to achieve?

Given the house was in bad nick and his ambitious plans.... the easy option was to demolish the house so he'd have a greenfield site essentially to build what he wanted instead of keeping in line with all the houses in the locality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Demolition of an extension but not demolition of the entire house is the point I guess!

Scandalous... clearing the site has nothing to do with not having to rebuild as you couldnt use the same materials anyway, you are just forced to build a replica really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

He will be forced to reconstruct a house that looks like the one he demolished, or hell be forced to demolish the new house he builds as he will never be given retention permission for it and will keep getting notices and warnings until its forcibly demolished

Hes stupid and shouldnt have done it and he will end up losing a lot of money in the long run, and he deserves it, incredibly thoughtless and rude

Doop wrote: »
    Scandalous... clearing the site has nothing to do with not having to rebuild as you couldnt use the same materials anyway, you are just forced to build a replica really.

Pity Dublin City Council Enforcement Department don't seem to have pushed for this as of yet - hopefully with the pressure being put on by Councillors to DCC will result in this.

wakka12 wrote: »
    He will be forced to reconstruct a house that looks like the one he demolished, or hell be forced to demolish the new house he builds as he will never be given retention permission for it and will keep getting notices and warnings until its forcibly demolished

Hes stupid and shouldnt have done it and he will end up losing a lot of money in the long run, and he deserves it, incredibly thoughtless and rude

The fear around here is - he'll get to build his plans!

I haven't looked into them in detail but was at a meeting last Monday with the neighbours of what was 18 and they're concerned he'll get away with it - DCC have done the bare minimum to enforce anything it seems.

The homeowner in 19 had to push for some sort of external protection for her internal wall which is now external due to the demolition.... The fencing around the property has fallen twice in the weather damaging two cars... the list of crap is endless!

Demolition of an extension but not demolition of the entire house is the point I guess!

Indeed, it just seems weird is all. Why go for planning at all?

I hope he gets done good and proper for this but I'd be doubtful. I'm not sure DCC have either the resources or the will to go after guys like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Chances are his aim is that although the demolition is illegal, it's cheaper for him to rebuild to his plans than it was to try and modify the existing house.

And from the council and his neighbours' perspective, there is no difference in the end-product. So they'd have a tough time refusing retention since the new property matches the previously approved drawings.

Enforcement at this point is to tell him to rebuild. That's what he's going to do.

It's a glaring oversight in planning, tbh. If you approve substantial modifications to any property, then you may as well let them demolish and start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Keep pressure on local councillors and put calls into DCC planning section.

If I was that neighbor I'd be getting a full Building Survey done, gaurentee theres damage done to the adjoining house.

They went for planning so they can build their 2 storey extension. Otherwise theyd be told to take it down, you cant undo the demolition of a house though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Not just a problem in Dublin - this case is getting lots of attention in SF
    https://www.sfgate.com/living/article/Man-who-demolished-landmark-house-ordered-to-13469247.php

seamus wrote: »
    Chances are his aim is that although the demolition is illegal, it's cheaper for him to rebuild to his plans than it was to try and modify the existing house.

And from the council and his neighbours' perspective, there is no difference in the end-product. So they'd have a tough time refusing retention since the new property matches the previously approved drawings.

Enforcement at this point is to tell him to rebuild. That's what he's going to do.

It's a glaring oversight in planning, tbh. If you approve substantial modifications to any property, then you may as well let them demolish and start again.
    I see what you mean. I didn't look at the drawings. I'm surprised they granted such dramatic changes to the original house. It's a cool design but I feel for the neighbour.

Keep pressure on local councillors and put calls into DCC planning section.

Pat Dunne, Rebecca Moynihan, Criona Ni Dhalaigh, Michael Pidgeon & Joan Collins were all a local meeting last Monday with the neighbours - Pat & Rebecca are hot on this case and said it will be brought up again this week in DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PeterBee

So ... does this mean an ethically challenged developer/builder could buy a house, demolish it, rebuild, grab as large a profit as the skewed market will bear and run roughshod over the planning department and the associated laws. Why are the legitimate interests of the community not being assertively protected? Surely the buck stops with someone?
    Is it possible that this is a first foray by greedy interests that will soon become the norm?
    Should I be concerned that one of my neighbor’s houses will disappear overnight and the unwanted and barely regulated rebuild distort the nice visage and lines of my street?
    I hope this absurdity can be remedied ... preferably at the exclusive expense of the person(s) who initiated the gamble.
    Please turn out for the Requiem and make a strong show of unity and disapproval.
    Greed should never be tolerated, especially if it involves bullying.
    Developers cant be allowed to run rampant especially if it involves a sudden and unexpected demolition that leaves the remaining portion of the conjoined houses exposed to weather damage.
    Its hard to believe this has happened and no solid action appears to have been taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The issue will be rectified, otherwise as you say the above situation would regularly occur but it doesnt, a cowboy developer will not have the last say on this issue, even if it takes the council a while I guarantee you the developer will be the one who loses out in this

The issue will be rectified, otherwise as you say the above situation would regularly occur but it doesnt, a cowboy developer will not have the last say on this issue, even if it takes the council a while I guarantee you the developer will be the one who loses out in this

I suppose that's part of the problem... a while. Una's now interior wall is exposed to the elements as an exterior and was only covered with some crap wood/sheeting after she pushed and pushed for it. She's had tiles come off her roof, etc... It's an extremely dangerous scenario Brian Morrow has left the neighbours in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PeterBee

Indeed, it just seems weird is all. Why go for planning at all?

I hope he gets done good and proper for this but I'd be doubtful. I'm not sure DCC have either the resources or the will to go after guys like this.

Perhaps a Fundit could be be set up to get some legal muscle involved. Lots of small contributons could really add up ?

• Advertisement

Building work has begun on what looks like external walls on the site.... will be interesting to see what he does and if it's done correctly (liaising with 19 O'Donovan Rds engineer to have the houses connected correctly as before).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Just as well he dropped it - there was no firewall between the two attics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Nermal

For a breach this serious DCC should be allowed to expropriate the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'll be amazed if that happens. Presentation Convent in Terenure, which was a listed building, was illegally demolished back in 2007 or thereabouts by the developer who bought the site. He was initially ordered to reinstate/replicate the building, refused and appealed the decision and was eventually slapped with a fine of something absolutely farcical like €1,500, for a site on which he probably made millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nermal wrote: »
    For a breach this serious DCC should be allowed to expropriate the site.
    By the time the machinations of the planning department get back from Christmas and get around to deciding whether it's a breach and just how serious the breach is, the house will be nearly built.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Oh he worked for BAM, makes sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Something similar happened on the Naas Road

http://www.echo.ie/news/article/motion-passed-condemning-illegal-development-naas-road

Dublin 8 and 12 is having every little spot being built on at the moment and it happened behind my house also, works for a house in a garden started without PP and despite huge local objection it received planning after the works started.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'll be amazed if that happens. Presentation Convent in Terenure, which was a listed building, was illegally demolished back in 2007 or thereabouts by the developer who bought the site. He was initially ordered to reinstate/replicate the building, refused and appealed the decision and was eventually slapped with a fine of something absolutely farcical like €1,500, for a site on which he probably made millions.

This is what was put up i think

https://m.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/terenure-gate-terenure-road-west-terenure-dublin-6/3818601

huge improvement compared to this old yoke :

YJxEaFa.jpg

but Dublin can be heaven,
    with the rev-counter at 11 :

wbbssbM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Some might recall Archer's Garage on Sandwith Street where the illegal demolition of the building resulted in its reconstruction exactly as it was: https://comeheretome.com/2017/11/19/archers-garage-sandwith-street/

archers_garage_dublin.jpg?w=500

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    By the time the machinations of the planning department get back from Christmas and get around to deciding whether it's a breach and just how serious the breach is, the house will be nearly built.

Bingo - he has until the 28th January for the house to be rebuilt afaik, god knows what sort of crap we'll see!

Advertisement