Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal Demolition in Dublin 8!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

VonLuck wrote: »
    Some might recall Archer's Garage on Sandwith Street where the illegal demolition of the building resulted in its reconstruction exactly as it was: https://comeheretome.com/2017/11/19/archers-garage-sandwith-street/

archers_garage_dublin.jpg?w=500

Cant believe somebody had the nerve to demolish such a cool building!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭wally79

VonLuck wrote: »
    Some might recall Archer's Garage on Sandwith Street where the illegal demolition of the building resulted in its reconstruction exactly as it was: https://comeheretome.com/2017/11/19/archers-garage-sandwith-street/

archers_garage_dublin.jpg?w=500

Walk past it every day. It is my favourite building. Slightly disappointed to hear it’s a replica

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Apparently it wasnt rebuilt to as high a standard as the original as well

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think a demolition plan for the building that became the Porterhouse in Phibsborough was refused at the time. It's now called The Whitworth afaik.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭wally79

wally79 wrote: »
    Walk past it every day. It is my favourite building. Slightly disappointed to hear it’s a replica

Jaysus lads. I wasn't that disappointed

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/fire-damages-kbc-bank-building-in-dublin-city-centre-1.3739223

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a very good chapter in the newly published "More Than Concrete Blocks Volume 2" (a city council 20th century architecture series) on Archers and the rebuild, including some compromises that had to be made for materials availability and building standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm still none-the-wiser what this thread is about?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'm still none-the-wiser what this thread is about?!

Maybe have a read of the thread and the Irish Times article posted below you...

• Advertisement

A lot of the houses around here would be like that - Madden Rd, O'Curry Rd, O'Donovan, few of the other roads also.

A lot of the houses around here would be like that - Madden Rd, O'Curry Rd, O'Donovan, few of the other roads also.
    built on the cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dublin Corporation and/or public utility society construction, built to a very specific price point

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

seamus wrote: »
    By the time the machinations of the planning department get back from Christmas and get around to deciding whether it's a breach and just how serious the breach is, the house will be nearly built.

Warning letter would have been issued within 24 hours of the complaint been received.

The planning department have nothing got to do with this type of unauthorised works. It’s the Planning enforcement Section and think you’ll find they are very efficient, sometimes too efficient as everything has to be done to the letter of the law as if it ever goes to court then DCC will loose on a breach of proceedure.

Either way, they have no power to stop the works, the letter would have went and the building owner legally has 28 days to respond and allow the inspector into the site.

If you don’t like this, Libby your TD/councillor to change the law.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

In fairness, most local authorities now come down pretty hard on those who demolish buildings without permission. But not always - remember the despicable church demolition on Jones Road in Dublin during the so called Celtic Tiger?

In the 1960s, 70s and 80s many beautiful historic buildings were demolished overnight - literallly - with impunity and those responsible usually got away scot free. Like beautiful Georgian Frascati House in Blackrock in 1981. There was a real culture of corruption and an immature cultural antipathy to Georgian, Regency and Victorian era buildings back then.

The real turning point came in 1989 when a developer demolished the historic Drogheda Grammar School. He was forced to rebuild it brick by brick or face a prison sentence. It featured big in the media at the time.

But abuses still continue. The beautiful 19th century Arnott House in Ashtown by the old Phoenix Park racecourse was allowed fall into serious disrepair and eventually razed to the ground. That was criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Stonevilla in Phibsborough is a listed building and former stately home that was just left to rot. I'm pretty sure its neglect was illegal. Online photos of it from 8 years ago show the scale of the deterioration.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Whats the story with neglect of a listed building (legally),
    Always thought the way to stop this would be to slap the councils costs for site visits, engineers, surveys solicitors etc onto the property owner.. So yeah the fine ends up a slap on the wrist, but the charges and fees should be eye-watering...
    And if its a listed building, the opw should be the ones rebuilding, restoring or making safe, at the expense of the developer, (or beneficial owner).

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Sacksian wrote: »
    Stonevilla in Phibsborough is a listed building and former stately home that was just left to rot. I'm pretty sure its neglect was illegal. Online photos of it from 8 years ago show the scale of the deterioration.

Is it still standing? There should be a legal obligation on the owner of the property to maintain the structure as best they can, and if unable to do so, it should be CPOd by the local authority.

Perhaps new legislation, such as an amendment to the 2000 Planning and Development Act, is needed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

built on the cheap?

Built around 1918 - 1922 or so in order to provide social housing in inner city Dublin. Funding was originally approved in 1913 (in response to the earlier tenement collapse) but got diverted in 1916 to rebuild the City Centre. Very interesting little piece of history in that area.

We’ve actually just bought in this general area, and I was gobsmacked when I saw the house disappear. I really feel for the neighbour, her house must be seriously damaged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Took my mother up to see this the other day - she's from O'Donovan road originally and knew the previous owners of No. 18 (which was rent office for a while i believe). Hope this gets resolved properly or a lot of the old houses may suffer the same fate. I'm all for progress but this sort of crap is not progress.

• Advertisement

a lot of the corner houses have been extended around there, but were any of them demolished and rebuilt?

a lot of the corner houses have been extended around there, but were any of them demolished and rebuilt?

None that I'm aware of around the Liberties - they'd be a lot up around Crumlin/Drimnagh also and none have been demolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just wondering would An Taisce get involved in something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just wondering would An Taisce get involved in something like this?
    Probably not - no cultural, historical or architectural aspects.

Not your ornery onager

As per Esel probably not, was talk at the initial meeting about potentially getting OPW involved but again doesn't seem it would be their avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

The new build will still have to comply with planning. There should be no fear among residents that anything else will happen.

Well currently as of 8am this morning it's about 5/6 foot high of generic blue cinder blocks.... not it's original red brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Well currently as of 8am this morning it's about 5/6 foot high of generic blue cinder blocks.... not it's original red brick.

That's one thing the council should insist on is appropriate old bricks to be the outer leaf of the wall, (appropriate to be decided upon by the citys architectural team)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I think if someone is brazen enough to demolish a house in this way and give two fingers to their neighbours and the various planning departments I would be very surprised if they put up a new house that is in any way sympathetic to the area or in this case, done with original red bricks.

• Advertisement

I think if someone is brazen enough to demolish a house in this way and give two fingers to their neighbours and the various planning departments I would be very surprised if they put up a new house that is in any way sympathetic to the area or in this case, done with original red bricks.

Brazen enough is one thing.... but being allowed get away with it by Planning Enforcement is absolutely absurd. Why there hasn't been someone out as of yet (to the best of my knowledge) is madness - 3 builders "trying" to gain access to the site at 7.45am this morning and all that stood in their way was a padlock which they obviously weren't informed of...

Advertisement