Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I reformat a USB 2.0 memory stick to USB 3.0?

Options
  • 17-12-2018 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

Windows 10 x64 Pro

Can I change a USB 2.0 memory stick to USB 3.0, even at the loss of some storage capacity?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

No. It's a hardware defined speed.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

The 2 / 3 part relates to the transfer speed, so it would not be possible to change that. It will always transfer at the highest speed possible for the port you are plugging it into, and the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks.

Ports are all 3.0.

Was hoping to upgrade the stick. The difference between 2.0 and 3.0 is huge.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Buy a new usb?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

USB 3.0 memory sticks are pretty cheap now. Some good deals on Amazon if you're looking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1515453/Trail/searchtext%3EUSB+DRIVE.htm

Assuming you don't need a crazy amount of storage, this is good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks for the replies.

I already have both 2.0 and 3.0.

I was just wondering if I could tweak my 2.0. Evidently not. So, I'll just use them for document files rather than image files.

Thanks again.

D.

Advertisement