Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Runner v Opening Car Door

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Drivers copping on would save 100% of traffic collisions.

That's a silly statement, runners, walkers and cyclists also causes accidents with their stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

That's a silly statement, runners, walkers and cyclists also causes accidents with their stupidity.

The only people who think cyclists, runners and walkers come out of nowhere dont pay enough attention to the road or aren’t driving at a suitable speed to stop themselves.

As soon as I became a vulnerable road user when I started running, my driving behaviour instantly changed. Speed, mirror checking, being more aware of the fact that things other than cars have a right to move from one place to another. I’ve never had an accident but I’m a better driver now than I was before.

Our poor infrastructure for VRUs is one thing but driver behaviour and car culture is the elephant in the room that Irish society doesn’t want to talk about. How many times have you heard people give out about runners on the road or cyclists cycling two abreast holding them up?

Cars cause dangerous accidents. Hi-vis doesn’t stop that. https://amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/study-high-visibility-jackets-do-little-to-protect-cyclists-469368.html?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The only people who think cyclists, runners and walkers come out of nowhere dont pay enough attention to the road or aren’t driving at a suitable speed to stop themselves.

As soon as I became a vulnerable road user when I started running, my driving behaviour instantly changed. Speed, mirror checking, being more aware of the fact that things other than cars have a right to move from one place to another. I’ve never had an accident but I’m a better driver now than I was before.

Our poor infrastructure for VRUs is one thing but driver behaviour and car culture is the elephant in the room that Irish society doesn’t want to talk about. How many times have you heard people give out about runners on the road or cyclists cycling two abreast holding them up?

Cars cause dangerous accidents. Hi-vis doesn’t stop that. https://amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/study-high-visibility-jackets-do-little-to-protect-cyclists-469368.html?__twitter_impression=true

Funnily enough I had more incidents with cyclists than cars. I believe your right about we are vulnerable road user and we create some of that ourselves by doing silly things, running out in front of cyclists and cars without looking. Can't expect the cyclists/car to save you everytime.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Funnily enough I had more incidents with cyclists than cars. I believe your right about we are vulnerable road user and we create some of that ourselves by doing silly things, running out in front of cyclists and cars without looking. Can't expect the cyclists/car to save you everytime.

It's not really a fair comparison though. Most of car interaction with other cars is just one following along behind the other and staying within the white lines. On a ten mile drive into a city it's perfectly possible that you are behind the same car all the way in so not as if there is a whole lot of interaction going on with other cars.

But in that same journey if you are stopped at a few sets of traffic lights in the city centre you could have 20 bikes overtake you several times each as you then go past them before the next lights and they then go past you again when you stop. Far more opportunity to get annoyed that they are making forward progress whilst you sit still, and far more opportunity for one of them to do something you don't like the look of and as a car driver you then unconsciously end up blaming all 20 of the cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

walshb wrote: »
    No she's not....

You are in charge of your safety at times.....

Unless a thorough investigation is taken out then you cannot blame the driver here....

If the person opening the car door leaves no time or space for a pedestrian (runner or otherwise) to stop or take evasive action the blame lies with the person opening the door.

[I can't believe I've replied to this]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,733 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If the person opening the car door leaves no time or space for a pedestrian (runner or otherwise) to stop or take evasive action the blame lies with the person opening the door.

[I can't believe I've replied to this]

Leave room. Don’t be relying on car owner to keep you safe..take responsibility.

Advertisement