Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum's Irish Player of the Year 2018

• 17-12-2018 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

It's time for the third annual Soccer Forum Irish Player of the Year award. In previous years the award has been won by Sean Maguire and Daryl Horgan respectively. Who will the forum give it to this year?

You'd be forgiven for thinking there is little to celebrate. After all, this year for Irish soccer will go down as one of the worst in recent memory. The Ireland team managed just 1 win in 9 games, drawing 4 and losing 4, with not a single win in any of the competitive matches. Only 4 Irish players managed to score a goal (Graham Burke, Alan Judge, Shaun Williams and Aiden O'Brien), while the team conceded 10 goals. As well as that, Ireland's brightest prospect Declan Rice, who started the year earning plaudits for his debut in Turkey, ultimately decided against appearing in the squad as England came calling. His international future remains unclear. The dreadful year came to a close with Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane losing their jobs, and the appointment of Mick McCarthy, with - assuming all goes to plan - the eventual appointment of Stephen Kenny down the line.

A woeful year then; however, some Irish players did distinguish themselves amidst the misery, offering us cause for optimism in the future. I've created a poll of players that I think are are the most likely contenders for the award which I will add in a moment. (Rice has not been included, reflecting his decision vis-a-vis the team). Here are the main contenders that stood out in my mind:

Darren Randolph

000cec2e-500.jpg

Cast your mind back to earlier in the year and Randolph's absence was being felt as Colin Doyle produced some shaky showings against Turkey, France and the US. Randolph's return in the latter part of the year steadied things and he produced strong performances against Poland and Denmark, before sparing Ireland's blushes with a MOTM display against Northern Ireland to avoid an embarrassing home defeat.

He has also been in great form for his club Middlesbrough, recording 11 clean sheets which is the most in the Championship, and at the time of writing Boro have conceded fewer goals than any team in the division. His performances earned him a nomination for November's Player of the Month.

Shane Duffy

000ec27a-500.jpg

He's continued to be a key player for club and country, as evidenced by Brighton giving him a new contract this season until 2021. While he recorded no goals in 17-18, he's shown himself to be more of a goal threat this term with 3 goals already, one of which in a win over Man United. He was also nominated for the Premier League Player of the Month award for October.

Duffy's also firmly established now as the most important CB for the Irish team and he acquitted himself well in the two clean sheets recorded against Denmark in the Nations League, as well as a respectable showing in the friendly defeat away to France. Will surely be one of the first names on McCarthy's teamsheet.

Matt Doherty

0010fe85-500.jpg

Has followed up being a mainstay of Wolves' promotion-winning side earlier in the year by taking to the Premier League like a duck to water. Has recorded 3 goals and 3 assists already, including a dramatic stoppage time winner away to Newcastle. He also became only the fourth Irishman in history to win the Premier League Player of the Month award back in September.

Doherty made his long awaited senior debut against Turkey this year, and while he has yet to translate his club form to the national side, there were promising signs against Wales in Dublin where he looked bright. Another who will surely be a key part of McCarthy's plans in 2019.

Alan Browne

alan-browne-2-390x285.jpg

Has been in terrific form for his club Preston this season. In 2017-18 he managed 7 goals and 1 assist in the Championship to win his club's Player of the Year award, and has kicked on even further this campaign with 7 goals and 3 assists already recorded.

He made his first start for Ireland in the friendly with Turkey this year and featured once more against France but was not given any further opportunities in the latter part of the year. Given the team are short of midfielders that can score and create, it's likely we will see more of him in 2019.

Callum Robinson

0010d11a-500.jpg

Like his Preston colleague Browne, Robinson has kicked on significantly this season. In 2017-18 he managed 7 goals, 7 assists in all competitions while this season he has managed 10 goals and 3 assists already. Alas, he's currently injured at the moment and is expected back around February.

Robinson made his Ireland debut away to Wales with a lively showing and was generally regarded as Ireland's main positive in the October Nations League games, showing good energy and movement despite operating on terrible service. O'Neill's decision to inexplicably sub him on the hour mark in the game against Wales in Dublin was met with boos from the fans, as he'd been arguably our best player. We await to see what he can offer with better service.

Feel free to mention someone you think has been overlooked. I considered a few more names, Hourihane being one, but I gather he's been a bit inconsistent and felt including him might be pushing it.

It's up to you to decide the basis for your vote. Will you lean towards national team showings, club performances, or a combination of the two?

With all that being said, which player for you has been the standout Irish player of 2018? I will leave the poll open for a little over a week so have a think and cast your vote.

Soccer Forum's Irish Player of the Year 2018 98 votes

Darren Randolph
    0%
    Shane Duffy
    5%
    eigrodSEPT 23 1989Knex*EquiumMD1990 5 votes
    Matt Doherty
    38%
    Thanx 4 The Fish[Deleted User]evil_seedciaran76clickhereCollie DMatt Biancodmigsydfx-StevecwCantGetNoSleepKirbyglenjaminjustshaneHalloweenJackAidricMcGrath5GavRedKingdoncarlosLojak 38 votes
    Alan Browne
    53%
    byteSkyStersuper_furryCoillte_BhoyRobxxx7mayordenisbohsmanMr.Nice GuyPigheadlassykkelefantdavycc[Deleted User]Utopia ParkwayMushyfranglanredzerdrogJohnerShanotheslayersugarman 52 votes
    Callum Robinson
    2%
    Paz-CCFCLuap 2 votes
    Other (specify)
    1%
    beertons 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Matt Doherty
    Went for Duffy.

Doherty has had a great start to PL life this year but Duffy has been a good performer for Ireland and Brighton so IMO, just nicks it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Alan Browne
    I went with Doherty as he has been a key player in Wolves promotion and showing in the PL so far this season that just edges out Duffy for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Alan Browne
    Think this will be a landslide for Doherty and I’ve voted accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Matt Doherty
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    Went for Duffy.

Doherty has had a great start to PL life this year but Duffy has been a good performer for Ireland and Brighton so IMO, just nicks it.
    Same as

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Alan Browne
    Doherty for me but close with Duffy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Alan Browne
    Voted for Doherty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Matt Doherty
    Duffy for me, he has become a really good PL defender. Done ok for the Irish team too in a horrible year. Probably our main scoring threat too sadly with the way we were set up.
    Doherty is a very close 2nd, expect to see him a starter from now on. Madness that he was ignored & then insulted by MON when he was picked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Alan Browne
    Doherty for me.

Mention for Callum Robertson who has looked very good since he came into the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No mention of Stephen Ireland so I voted for Doherty. As a nod to his namesake, Gary

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Matt Doherty
    Duffy. Central defender for a promoted team that stayed up, it's got to be..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Alan Browne
    If the award is based on performances for the international side alone, than its Darren Randolph and it’s not even remotely close.

I’d go for Matt Doherty all things considered though, he’s been a stand out player in a very talented Wolves team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Alan Browne
    I went with Doherty as he has been a key player in Wolves promotion and showing in the PL so far this season that just edges out Duffy for me.
    Same here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Alan Browne
    Doherty without a doubt. Standout in another poor year for Irish footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Alan Browne
    Bump.

Only three days remaining to cast a vote.

Alan Browne
    Result will be confirmed shortly before 4pm tomorrow. Not long left to have your say if you haven't already.

Alan Browne
    Congratulations to Matt Doherty, your choice as the Boards Soccer Forum Irish Player of the Year for 2018.

TELEMMGLPICT000183204561_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqrS8Z1b0ZQjNoViJZ3HnGQ4NS1YurETCFkeLSh1IwB7c.jpeg?imwidth=450

1st place - Matt Doherty - 52%
    2nd place - Shane Duffy - 38%
    3rd place - Darren Randolph - 5%

It quickly became apparent that it would be a battle between Doherty and Duffy, but the Brighton man has to make do with finishing runner-up for the second year in a row as Doherty's standout performances in the Championship and Premier League earn him the nod.

Happy New Year to everyone on the board and here's hoping we have a wide range of standout players in 2019 to choose from, particularly up front.

Advertisement