Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Union Loan - 10.7%

• 17-12-2018 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My sister asked me to look at a few things financially with her to try improve her finances.

I knew she had a loan with the Credit Union but didn't realise how much.

She told me she has 15,000 in savings offset against a 42,000 loan, which was a previous loan that was down to 24,000 but increased to buy a car, all of which she can afford and is in no arrears.

However, the rate on the loan of 10.7% seems very high to me - I checked their website and they advertise car loans at 7.9%, and a within shares loan of 6.5%

I understand she would have signed a loan agreement at the beginning which is no doubt legally binding, but would anyone with knowledge on here think she is being charged too high a rate.

Also have to say that I always thought the CUs were the cheapest to borrow from but that doesn't seem to be the case here!

Any advice is really appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

For a loan within shares rate the full amount of the loan would need to be covered by shares.

When your sister got the top-up loan to buy the card, is the top up amount treated at the car loan rate of 7.9%. You'll need to inspect the most recent loan agreement first, to get a handle on the numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Spocker wrote: »
    For a loan within shares rate the full amount of the loan would need to be covered by shares.

When your sister got the top-up loan to buy the card, is the top up amount treated at the car loan rate of 7.9%. You'll need to inspect the most recent loan agreement first, to get a handle on the numbers

Cheers, thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

I never understood why people get a loan yet still have savings that cannot be used as its collator for a loan. I would pay off 15k off your loan tomorrow. If its a 5 year loan, this equates to a saving of 8k straight away. When you compound the amount you save and pay this off your loan, you will be able to pay it off quicker.

Its a never ending cycle if you get into debt like that. I might be old fashioned when i say this but the only debt people should ever have is for a house. If you cant afford a new car, buy a second hand car you can afford until you have enough money saved for the car you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Fol20 wrote: »
    I never understood why people get a loan yet still have savings that cannot be used as its collator for a loan. I would pay off 15k off your loan tomorrow. If its a 5 year loan, this equates to a saving of 8k straight away. When you compound the amount you save and pay this off your loan, you will be able to pay it off quicker.

Its a never ending cycle if you get into debt like that. I might be old fashioned when i say this but the only debt people should ever have is for a house. If you cant afford a new car, buy a second hand car you can afford until you have enough money saved for the car you want.

I agree with you there but I'd keep a few grand for unexpected emergencies and not completely decimate the savings. But keeping 15 and having nearly 3x that amount outstanding is sillly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

cefh17 wrote: »
    I agree with you there but I'd keep a few grand for unexpected emergencies and not completely decimate the savings. But keeping 15 and having nearly 3x that amount outstanding is sillly

I thoughtvwith the credit union they do not allow money to be taken out when you have debt? With others it makes sense however with them i dont see the point if having savings especially that level of savings with you have loans of that rate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Correct, they will only allow the €15k to be offset when the loan amount is down to €15k.

Credit Unions are cheaper than loan sharks (considerably so) but generally more expensive than other financial institutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Fol20 wrote: »
    I thoughtvwith the credit union they do not allow money to be taken out when you have debt? With others it makes sense however with them i dont see the point if having savings especially that level of savings with you have loans of that rate

Oh I've no idea their rules sorry, just a general comment that emergency funds are a good idea

Advertisement