Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Healthiest sliced pan?

• 17-12-2018 5:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭

Until recently I've just been making sure that it's brown bread that I eat. But I could be making a better effort. I've been eating Brennan's whole grain brown sliced pan.

Some said it's probably mass produced a mightn't be so healthy. That person buys this bread. It's good too.

http://www.fieldsofskibbereen.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Is there an 'unhealthy' bread???

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Bread is bread is bread, generally. Yes, a homemade grain loaf with quality ingredients is going to be better than a white sliced pan, but really it's how much of it you eat and what you put in/on it that's going to have the biggest impact, not the bread itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

A lot of "Brown" bread still uses some, or even mainly, white flour. Stoneground is apparently the "healthiest" of the wheat flours. After trying home made, carb free, porridge bread etc my personal conclusion is if you're going to eat bread, just pick one you enjoy and just watch the portions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭UCD GroupThink

Macy0161 wrote: »
    A lot of "Brown" bread still uses some, or even mainly, white flour. Stoneground is apparently the "healthiest" of the wheat flours. After trying home made, carb free, porridge bread etc my personal conclusion is if you're going to eat bread, just pick one you enjoy and just watch the portions.
    Well one of the things I'm concerned with is that there's soy as an ingredient in one of the sliced pans I saw. And there's a certain amount of controversy about soy being used as an ingredient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

And there's a certain amount of controversy about soy being used as an ingredient.
    None of it backed by science though. Or at least properly researched science. There's more evidence of the benefits of soy, but the amount in any bread is going to be so minimal to make no difference either way.

The only way to fully control the inputs is to make it yourself, and even then you'd have to source suppliers of ingredients you do not have concerns about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the one objective thing about bread is that it is high on the glycemic index and as people dont generally eat bread on its own it ends up as a sugar fat combo. wont matter for some will matter for others

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Try Mag’s brown bread in Dunnes, the ingredients look to be far better than most I’ve seen. In moderation of course ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Brennan's chia seed and sunflower seeds one is a good shout, wholegrain wheat with a decent chunk of fiber and protein. A general rule of thumb is to look at the first ingredient. If it isnt wholegrain wheat (fortified does not count) put it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭d15ude

bladespin wrote: »
    Is there an 'unhealthy' bread???

Is there a healthy bread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

d15ude wrote: »
    Is there a healthy bread?

Yes, the vast majority of quality breads are perfectly healthy.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's the dose that makes the poison.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

I tend towards sourdough and 100% wholemeal breads.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Acey10

Dunnes sell sourdough in the bakery, there's no ingredients or nutrition information on it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I like McCambridges, nice small slices but filling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Some breads have a lot of sugar in them (honestly, some bread is almost cake!), some breads have a lot of protein in them, some have a lot more fibre than others, some use a lot more yeast (which some people have an intolerance to), it really depends on what you are looking for.

Personally, I don't eat meat so i tend to go with the slightly higher protein options (e.g. the honey and spelt in Lidl or the "High protein" bread in tesco), white bread tends to give me a stomach ache within 15 minutes, always has, don't know why

When you buy bread at the bakery section or in a bakery it tends to only last a day or 2 max, whereas sliced pan lasts like a week

You know most breads have more protein in 2 slices than a whole egg?

Advertisement