Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently? 3D!

1107108109110111113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I'd say absolutely 100% as in act 3, snuff is introduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Falling Down (1993)

What I found fascinating was the little breadcrumbs of details that gave background information about Michael Douglas’ character, Bill.

One point I picked up on was his mother saying she tried not to be a burden and not just financially, but that he blamed her for what happened with his split from his wife and daughter.

His wife said he didn’t keep up with his child support payments and we find out that he had been let go from his job only a month or so before which seems too recent to be the reason he fell behind so I think maybe he had been supporting his mother and didn’t have enough to also cover child support, and his wife used that as an excuse to cut him off from seeing his daughter. Then she got a restraining order against him when he called to the house late at night in anger.
    He said he didn’t lose his job but his job lost him, he was over educated and under skilled or the other way round.

I wonder if he was so depressed from losing his daughter that he wasn’t functioning well in work and they fobbed him off with that excuse, possibly downsizing was also going on too.

I also wonder if he had the whole ending planned from the start, i.e. for the insurance.

One point to finish off, his daughter was really delighted to see him at the end and the dog also was really happy to be petted by him, so I think he must not have been that scary at all and the wife was very unfair with him, and arguably she was to blame for his nervous breakdown. If she had allowed him to visit he may not have reached the breaking point at all.

London Bridge is Falling Down played in it too, interesting play on words.
    From googling that rhyme, there is a suggestion out there that
    "the “London Bridge Is Falling Down” rhyme refers to the use of a medieval punishment known as immurement. Immurement is when a person is encased into a room with no openings or exits and left there to die."
    That is an interesting premise to encapsulate the theme of the movie, a man feeling disenfranchised, cut off, and that ultimately broke him.
    The Dark History Behind 'London Bridge Is Falling Down'

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Gena Rowlands died (RIP), so I watched 

Opening Night (1977)

which is a very self-reflexive sort of story about aging and acting. Premise is about an actress doing a play about the menopause when a young fan suddenly dies and it kinda jumps into the study of its subject matter from that point. It's not strictly about womanhood tho as it's also sort of about the creative friction between the ways that actors try to find inspiration for their performances and the requirements placed on them by directors and producers.

It is an interesting, tho very messy film with an ending which didn't work for me at all, but it sort of felt like the ending itself was supposed to be some sort of commentary on the other films that Gena did with her husband. But I struggle with John Cassevetes' films when they get so freewheeling that it seems like the characters are barely speaking about anything, such as in Husbands. So this puts this film somewhere in the middle of his self funded efforts for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭monkeyactive

Lyle lyle crocodile

Madcap kids musical with a little star power.

I liked it for a bit of a light hearted laugh.

But if your going singing crocodile go full out , crocodile hadn't enough screentime and was mostly sequestered away in a house.

Not enough songs and none of them standout.

My Gauge of a good musical is if I'm not humming the tunes the next day somethings wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,228 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Thelma

Lovely easy watch, June Squibb is brilliant. A film about a 93 year old pulling a mission impossible style heist doesn't really sound like my things but I was wrong. Sweet with gentle humour but manges to touch on some real issues. Good supporting cast too.

Blurb below.

Thelma Post is a 93-year-old grandmother who loses $10,000 to a con artist on the phone. With help from a friend and his motorized scooter, she soon embarks on a treacherous journey across Los Angeles to reclaim what was taken from her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

Watching this right now after your recommendation. Really good 😂.

My mother and mother in law are both nearly 80. Think they would enjoy it for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,228 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ah brilliant, my mum (in her 70s) watched it with me and loved it. Not sure what I was expecting tbh but it is a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭buried

Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972)

Was well sick in the bed last week and I watched this most of the days I was in it, just brilliant stuff, one of the few films that you just enjoy being totally immersed in. Klaus Kinski skulking about the place with his lopsided walk and look that's both hilarious and terrifying at the same time. I hadn't seen this in years but I didn't remember laughing as much the last time I viewed it, there is some hilarious sequential editing in this thing such as the scene where the conquistador's attack the burning jungle village and you get this two second clip of a dog calmly lying down feeding her pups as the demented troop attack an invisible enemy that isn't even there, Kinski roaring at the horse so hard it falls down etc. Just brilliant stuff, they'll literally never make them like this again and thank the Wrath of God they won't even bother. 10/10

• Advertisement
Advertisement