Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,276 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ah no way Del. The ending is brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,461 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The ending is a total gear-change, but it's magnificent. Understated, and a total downer but also, it's right there in the title. It is truly No Country for Old Men and in the last moment comes the realisation.

Whiplash Young would-be Buddy Rich goes to school to be schooled by abusive tutor.

If you love post war jazz and drums you'll love this! :)

Easily one of the best films of the 2010's imo and J K Simmons was definitely the number 1 casting choice of the decade.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    "No Country for Old Men" (2007) on Amazon Prime.

Don't know how I missed this Coen Bros classic before but I really enjoyed it - if one can really enjoy murder/mayhem? If there's one disappointment
    it's the ending - did they run out of time, film, money or ideas?
    8/10

it's based on a book by Cormac McCarthy and stays pretty close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,989 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I watched Weekend at Bernie's for the first time a couple of days ago. (It wasn't exactly high on my list of must-watch movies, I have to admit.) Some of the things that poor old Bernie gets put through, it's amazing he was still in one piece by the end. The reviews were not good even at the time e.g. one called it "a film with no respect for the laws of nature, the laws of man, or the intelligence of the viewer". In hindsight, is Weekend at Bernie's an 80s classic? Probably not.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

I wouldn't call it an "80's classic", but it's a relatively fun picture.

In saying that I haven't seen it since the 80's, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

glasso wrote: »
    it's based on a book by Cormac McCarthy and stays pretty close to it.

definitely, I loved both, probably the film edged it for me. McCarthy's 'The Road' is a great book.

Both are good books because of their stories. But I absolutely loathe reading McCarty's writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The Man from Uncle (2015)

Threw this on for the kids as it was on Sky Movies, and was surprised at how good it was, considering I barely remember it being released.
    It's Guy Ritchie directing, between this and the RDJ Sherlock Holmes movies he knows how to adapt an existing story and keep it rattling along at an entertaining pace. It had a nice retro vibe without being too beholden to the original TV series, and Cavill and Hammer were pretty good in the lead roles (having seen this, I could envisage Cavill doing Bond). Very obviously setup for more movies at the end which I guess we won't now be getting.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

loyatemu wrote: »
    The Man from Uncle (2015)

Threw this on for the kids as it was on Sky Movies, and was surprised at how good it was, considering I barely remember it being released.
    It's Guy Ritchie directing, between this and the RDJ Sherlock Holmes movies he knows how to adapt an existing story and keep it rattling along at an entertaining pace. It had a nice retro vibe without being too beholden to the original TV series, and Cavill and Hammer were pretty good in the lead roles (having seen this, I could envisage Cavill doing Bond). Very obviously setup for more movies at the end which I guess we won't now be getting.

I've been hoping for a sequel to this since it came out, but recent events have probably killed that idea entirely. Unless the plot included Kuryakin going deep undercover with an entirely new face.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    Both are good books because of their stories. But I absolutely loathe reading McCarty's writing.

Something like the "The Road" is pretty easy to read but the Borders Trilogy is a nightmare due to his deliberate lack of attribution on dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Kingsman: The Golden Circle I enjoyed the original and watched this not having read anything about it. Was very let down. It was too far over the top. Without spoiling it, Elton John is doing kung fu as himself. The Elton thing was funny for 5 seconds and that was it.

There are parts of it that seems to be more or less a reworking of scenes in the previous movie without really adding anything to them. From the first scene I was annoyed as it was over the top without being that interesting.

Amazing as there is a great cast. Jeff Bridges is terrible in it. Julianne Moore is good though. Amazing to think she is nearly 60 in this.

3/10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I trapped the devil

engaging if uneven psychological independent horror movie

6 out of 10

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched Mogul Mowgli on the BFI Player last night and thought it was really good. The cast all give strong performances, and the script generally avoids high drama and instead allows us to see into how Zaheer copes with what is happening to him through little moments and interactions. The rap scenes are really good as well, including a very funny introduction to RPG after he has been mentioned as being a big fan of Z's very political and socially-aware rap (I can only describe RPG's rap as being like the "booty butt cheeks" song from The Boondocks).

glasso wrote: »
    Something like the "The Road" is pretty easy to read but the Borders Trilogy is a nightmare due to his deliberate lack of attribution on dialogue.

I used him as an audiobook and found it much easier to follow. The dialogue flows then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Arrival, The Martian, 10 Cloverfield Lane (less of a sci fi), Oblivion, Annihilation are all good.

Good recommendations. I would definitely recommend
    The Martian
    Oblivion
    Arrival

Cloverfield Lane and Annihilation are watchable.

Others I'd recommend:-
    Predestination - bit difficult to follow, but very engaging film
    Passengers (maybe more of a sc-fi love story)
    A quiet place - much better than I thought it would be.
    Edge of Tomorrow - Another Tom Cruise one - time loops

Bigger blockbusters like Inception and Intersteller are a must see in my opinion.
    and Tenet worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Good recommendations. I would definitely recommend
    The Martian
    Oblivion
    Arrival

Cloverfield Lane and Annihilation are watchable.

Others I'd recommend:-
    Predestination - bit difficult to follow, but very engaging film
    Passengers (maybe more of a sc-fi love story)
    A quiet place - much better than I thought it would be.
    Edge of Tomorrow - Another Tom Cruise one - time loops

Bigger blockbusters like Inception and Intersteller are a must see in my opinion.
    and Tenet worth a watch.

Bang on I'd say.
    Oblivion and Edge of Tomorrow are under-rated; they're pretty good sci-fi. Arrival is really smart sci-fi, as is Predestination- this starts off as a slow-burner, and becomes a proper head-wrecker (in a good way).

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Bang on I'd say.
    Oblivion and Edge of Tomorrow are under-rated; they're pretty good sci-fi. Arrival is really smart sci-fi, as is Predestination- this starts off as a slow-burner, and becomes a proper head-wrecker (in a good way).

Id put AD ASTRA(Brad Pitt Tommy Lee Jones) and the low budget but excellent Sci-fi western PROSPECT on your list too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

^^Edge of Tomorrow was a real surprise. Loved that one. 10 Cloverfield lane was outstanding until the laughable final 10 or so minutes.

For me top of the pile of recent sci fi is Moon. Such a good film that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Everything about the plot of Passengers is just pure wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Id put AD ASTRA(Brad Pitt Tommy Lee Jones) and the low budget but excellent Sci-fi western PROSPECT on your list too

Never heard of Prospect; reviews are good. Love low budget/good idea stuff, so I'll track it down.

Prospect is very good.

Aniara is another one to check out if you like sci-fi.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I couldn't get into Moon or Ad Astra. Found both boring to be honest.

Rewatched Edge of Tomorrow recently - it is great.
    Loved Cloverfield Lane too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I caught Lucky, a Shudder original from 2020, last night. It promised more than it could deliver, for me - there are a bunch of interesting ideas in it, and lots of moments land well, but it sags in the middle and repeatedly feels like the script was intended for the stage rather than the screen - too much telling, not enough showing. The third act also fails to deliver any satisfying resolution, which I found quite frustrating. In contrast, a film like See You Yesterday took a similar approach (tell a genre story and use/subvert its tropes to also tell a story about a contemporary social issue) but had a more confident and clear throughline to its endpoint.

I like what Lucky was trying to do, and wanted it to be a successful execution of that. Certain aspects work - the central performance is solid, for instance - but it feels like the final version of the film is neither incisive enough in the themes it tackles, nor quite adept enough in how it uses slasher tropes to tell its story. For me, it needed to either be more adventurously weird or more conventional in how it wrapped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

Dades wrote: »
    I couldn't get into Moon or Ad Astra. Found both boring to be honest.

Rewatched Edge of Tomorrow recently - it is great.
    Loved Cloverfield Lane too.

Moon is very good I think, but Ad Astra fell far short for me. It's well made and looks great, but it's scripting really let it down.

It's not much more than a (very) poor mans Interstellar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,461 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think I've ranted about Ad Astra before, but beyond its admittedly gorgeous visuals, the script was absolutely sodden with awful Daddy Issue's narration. I was actually surprised Brad Pitt signed on for this 'cos the writing was just so overwrought.

Promising young woman with carey mulligan

blunt as a poke in the eye " me too " movement tribute

just a horrible nasty ideologically loaded movie which nobody comes out of with an ounce of dignity

"Ideologically loaded"? How do you mean? And, if you don't mind me asking, what did you think the film was going to be about before watching it?

Fysh wrote: »
    "Ideologically loaded"? How do you mean? And, if you don't mind me asking, what did you think the film was going to be about before watching it?

I'd never heard of it before last night, other half turned it on

It's entire premise was that all men are guilty of abusing women, pure exercise in misandry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i have to say i really enjoyed it when i saw it a few months back. ending was a bit meh but a very decent dark comedy overall

Advertisement