Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

glasso wrote: »
    htf can you comment on this after 3 minutes? answer - you can't.

actually a decent spin of a movie if you take it for what it is.

superior to the similar wick movies imo.

Quite easily as I have a well-honed bs detector, limited time left above ground and have to spend it wisely. Here's the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Your BS detector is so good you can tell what a film is going to be like after 3 minutes?

Thargor wrote: »
    Your BS detector is so good you can tell what a film is going to be like after 3 minutes?

Yes, I shouldn't think that I am alone in this and several other posters here also seem to think along the same lines. I've watched enough bad films through to the bitter end that I now know when to cut and run. The only mistake that I made years ago was watching episode.1. of "24" and dismissing it as a load of rubbish only to rent the entire series from Xtravision and binge watched it - still miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Not even going to bother tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭budgemook

Last time this came up the discussion was moved to another thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104228563

Hint hint :)

• Advertisement

Don't see the need for all the snide remarks or the other thread. This thread isn't called "What you have watched recently - to the bitter end". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Don't see the need for all the snide remarks or the other thread. This thread isn't called "What you have watched recently - to the bitter end". :rolleyes:
    No, but it is called "What have you watched recently", and you have not watched Polar. Your review based on the first 3 minutes is worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭buried

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• The Company Men 2010 Affleck, Tommy Lee Jones and Costner star in a film about corporate downsizing and how it affects family life when a big company ruthlessly starts cutting its staff with no notice and they are left to fight for new jobs in a crisis economy. Pretty decent flick about the corporate world

The Bank 2001 Aussie flick about a maths whizz who claims he can predict the stock market with an algorithm. He gets hired by Anthony Lapaglia a ruthless CEO who is under pressure to increase share price by any means possible, and they start working together to beat the stock market, with various twists and turns. Entertaining stuff

The Front Runner 2018 The story of Gary Hart, who had been leading the election for president in (I think) 1992, when the press started coming after him for his personal indiscretions. Interesting because it was the first time the paparazzi started going after politicians in that way, previously it had been only for actors, musicians etc. Hart who seemed to have solid policies and was well liked and respected quickly found out you couldn't preach about integrity and ethics while not practicing them at home.

The Jericho Mile 1979 How I hadn't heard of this I don't know because its Michael Manns first film. The first two minute intro will have you hooked immediately, and lays the platform for this amazing directors future works. Its about Peter Strauss who is locked up on a murder charge, and he runs every chance he gets - around a track in the yard. His times are so fast he gets noticed and the warden wants him trying out for the US Olympic team, so much so he builds a new track inside the prison. A few technical glitches here and there, but really enjoyed this. Interesting also to see Bryan Dennehy in a different type of role for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Vice.

Really enjoyed it....liked the style of it.

Always a fan of Bale. Quality again.

Rockwell and Carell didn't disappoint either.

7/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Watched "Leave No Trace" last weekend.

Really thoughtful film that is beautifully acted. Deserves more attention imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Hereditary

The first half of this was such a well crafted, weird and disturbing film. There was a great sense of creeping dread and the story took some surprising turns.
    The direction was a bit fussy in that just-out-of-film-school, debut feature, kind of way but there were some admittedly great shots.

It was a shame then for the second part of the film to descend into that well worn genre
    of devil worshipping cults
    and the entirely predictable ending that these films always rely on.

Still though, there were enough disturbing moments and images to leave me unsettled after watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BuffaloTengo

There's Always Vanilla - George Romero's second film, not a zombie in sight.
    Entertaining enough little comedy/drama.

The Camp on Blood Island - 1950's Hammer prisoner of war film. British prisoners of war attempt to keep their sadistic Japanese guards in the dark over the fact that the war has ended (as the Japanese commander has promised to slaughter the entire prison if Japan lose the war). Certainly of it's time, but I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭al87987

Free solo - Climbing doc about a 3000ft climb only using hands and feet, no apparatus. Insane, with some great shots

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Hereditary

The first half of this was such a well crafted, weird and disturbing film. There was a great sense of creeping dread and the story took some surprising turns.
    The direction was a bit fussy in that just-out-of-film-school, debut feature, kind of way but there were some admittedly great shots.

It was a shame then for the second part of the film to descend into that well worn genre
    of devil worshipping cults
    and the entirely predictable ending that these films always rely on.

Still though, there were enough disturbing moments and images to leave me unsettled after watching it.

Yeh, I felt the same way about the second half. I thought it lost me a bit with the reveal. It's still a good movie, just laden with a coda that I've seen umpteen times before.

It's worth watching for Toni Collette alone though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭joombo

The Green Book - Okay film with very good performances. The standouts are the 2 leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Disposable1

The Jericho Mile 1979 How I hadn't heard of this I don't know because its Michael Manns first film. The first two minute intro will have you hooked immediately, and lays the platform for this amazing directors future works. Its about Peter Strauss who is locked up on a murder charge, and he runs every chance he gets - around a track in the yard. His times are so fast he gets noticed and the warden wants him trying out for the US Olympic team, so much so he builds a new track inside the prison. A few technical glitches here and there, but really enjoyed this. Interesting also to see Bryan Dennehy in a different type of role for him.

Ruddy heck, I saw this film when I was a young, young child and remember it quite clearly. Obviously since I was a child I was not very conscious and I couldn’t read so I never got the name. I’ve been watching out for it for years but could never find it. This brings me, I’m not quite sure how to put it, but like an enormous sense of relief. I feel like I ought to thank you but according to The Art of the Deal thanking people is a sign of weakness so instead I’m going to say, “tremendous film, I knew the name of it all along, tremendous, in fact I gave the screen writer the idea for it, tremendous, my hands are normal sized, tremendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Aquaman - really enjoyed it, fair play to DC they seem to be getting the hang of it although I'm sure saying that will jinx them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I'm off sick so decided to watch Spider-Man 2 as I remembered it being good.

It's still good! It has so much more charm and wit than any current Marvel movie. It truly feels like a comic book brought to film with excellent nods to tropes like expository internal monologue and the framing of shots in a true comic book style. Tobey Maguire really nails the nerdy Peter Parker, I'm not sure we'll get a better fit. In fact, the casting across the board is totally spot on (besides maybe Kirsten Dunst who I always felt to be slightly miscast) from Aunt May to JJ Jameson.

Spider-Man is relatable and there's a human story going on. Nobody in the current Marvel universe is relatable. Ive nothing in common with billionaires, one dimensional dudes who shoot arrows, or Gods, so there's no stakes I can identify with. In this movie there's internal conflict in both Parker and Doc Ock. There's relatable tragedy and sympathetic characters. There's real stakes at play.

It just feels like a lovingly crafted movie in spite of its popularity and box office draw, and shows up the current glut of Marvel offerings for the cynical crud they are.

I thought I'd outgrown comic book movies. Evidently not, they're just mostly terrible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Agreed - Spider Man 2 set the bar for Super Hero movies, which subsequently because "darker" and more joyless.

X-Men 2 a year earlier was also fantastic fun, and like Spidey 2, was the pinnacle of the franchise for me.

• Advertisement

"A Twist of Sand" 1968 on YouTube tonight.

A_Twist_of_Sand-131407421-large.jpg

Three former Royal Navy sailors, a mute German and a hot blonde sail from the Med to the 'Skeleton Coast' of South West Africa in search of hidden diamonds.

An interesting cast including Richard Johnson, Jeremy Kemp, Honor Blackman, Peter Vaughan and Roy Dotrice keep the ship afloat to the end. It is of its era and slow by the pace of contemporary thrillers but a break from Netflix at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^

Sounds interesting.

^^

Aye, big 'Raiders of The Lost Ark' visual vibes from the poster too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Roadhouse- god I love this film. Screened in the Lighthouse which is kept in pristine condition, where people actually enjoy the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Roadhouse- god I love this film. Screened in the Lighthouse which is kept in pristine condition, where people actually enjoy the cinema.

Great movie

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

pinksoir wrote: »
    Spider-Man is relatable and there's a human story going on. Nobody in the current Marvel universe is relatable. Ive nothing in common with billionaires, one dimensional dudes who shoot arrows, or Gods, so there's no stakes I can identify with.

Oh, I don't know, there was one last year you might have enjoyed. The hero is a high school kid, out of his depth for most of the movie, the bad guy is believable and relatable... it was a good movie. Spiderboy... or Manspider... something like that...?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

CREED 2

Formulaic Brain Candy , but does what it says on the tin , enjoyed it .

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

RayCun wrote: »
    Oh, I don't know, there was one last year you might have enjoyed. The hero is a high school kid, out of his depth for most of the movie, the bad guy is believable and relatable... it was a good movie. Spiderboy... or Manspider... something like that...?

Haha. Touché.

Strangely, I know I've seen it but I cannot remember anything about it...

BlackkKlansman - This is a very strange work altogether. The story itself is very interesting but the execution of the actual film is really all over the place. The entire world being portrayed appears really fake and not of its time. There was no sense of scale or realism to the entire level of production in the world that the film is trying to show. Some of the acting is good, but the couple of good performances are wasted because the mannerisms of the characters and the way they interact with each other are all over the shop. I mean, here we have a ultra careful, secretive, sinister racist villain who has no problem being in a underground gang with the extremely stupid, goofy fat racist villain who can't keep his big gob shut about anything! Same for the ultra careful lads wife, shes a total cartoonesque dope. All we can gleam from all this is that the most sinister villain is a total loodraman himself. David Duke is portrayed as a Alan Partridge like eegit, while at the same time we, the audience, are supposed to believe this lad is the leader of a highly violent, underground, racist gang?

Now it may have all have been true, all these people could well have been total thickos and nerds IRL, but that goofy shtick simply does not work in a film where the two, let alone one hero protagonist has to infiltrate the inner lair of a group of threatening villains. There is way too much terribly executed Hahaha goofyness for a undercover cop movie, and that's what this films main M.O. is supposed to be. Adam Driver is good, but you never get the sense his character is in any real meaningful sort of danger. There is no realism, tension or threat. Even thriller/comedies like Beverly Hills Cop 1+2 had more realism and tension than this.

Its just totally all over the place, it has no idea what sort of film it wants to be. Good example of this is at the end,
    where we get a really strange comedic "HAHA GOTCHYA" set-up scene with the racist cop at a party in some pub, then the same "HAHA GOTCHYA" set up with Duke's character and then the very next segment cuts to the real life, viceral & violent footage of modern day ultra violent racism trouble with people being mowed down and murdered on the streets by real life racists!
    Very strange, and it is strange because at this stage in his career Spike Lee should be doing much better effort of work, from this he seems to have gone backwards. This seemed like a Netflixesque first timer job. Disappointing. No intention to watch this again. 2/10

• Advertisement

Le Professionel, 1981

A Jean-Paul Belmondo vehicle that hasn't aged that well reallly. A bit too corny. Sort of Roger Moore in his last bond movie type vibe (without the space rayguns). Although I wasn't aware that thongs/ g-strings were around since the late 70's / early 80's (in France anyways!) - it set me straght on that fact - about the most interesting this about the movie really.

for anyone who has not seen it please go check out Au bout de souffle / Breathless - what a movie (that also has Belmondo in it)

Advertisement