Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    It's entire premise was that all men are guilty of abusing women, pure exercise in misandry

That is not even slightly the premise of the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

That is not even slightly the premise of the movie.

I don't understand how you could possibly say that it's "not even slightly the premise of the movie". Every male character in the film, is either a rapist themselves or is directly/indirectly involved in rape. That is fundamentally inline with the messaging of "all men are complicit" that is a core tenant of the me too movement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Because “the small number of men portrayed in this film are abusers or complicit” and “all men are abusers or complicit” are not even remotely the same thing.

I’m a straight man and didn’t even for a second think the film was attacking me personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

I didn't feel personally attacked, mainly because I don't subscribe to the cookie cutter liberal, nuance free view of the world that the film portrays. The whole thing felt like it was made to exactly align with the values and sensibilities of Hollywood movie critics, without ever attempting to say anything interesting beyond affirming the truth of one of the chic causes of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭budgemook

Any chance we can avoid the "culture wars" chat this time around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just watched The Bling Ring: pretty good, got a little baggy and repetitive in places, but I enjoyed it. Emma Watson clearly had a great time, chewing the scenery as the hilariously vacuous Nicki, who still manages to land on her feet somehow.
    At the end, she’s interviewed about encountering Lindsay Lohan in jail, serving a longer sentence than Nicki served for robbing Lindsay’s house.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Riders of Justice - 2020

Mads Mikkelsen is on a roll recently between this and "Another Round". This is a rare mix of humour and violence that actually works really well. Mikkelsen is a soldier on tour abroad when a tragedy calls him back home. Through circumstances he and his daughter get grouped up with a trio of misfits going solo on an investigation into what happened and it takes off from there. The title has a dual meaning referring both to the motley band and the biker gang antagonists. One of the better movies of recent times surely and a tonic in pandemic times.

7.7 / 10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11655202/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

glasso wrote: »
    Riders of Justice - 2020

Mads Mikkelsen is on a roll recently between this and "Another Round". This is a rare mix of humour and violence that actually works really well. Mikkelsen is a soldier on tour abroad when a tragedy calls him back home. Through circumstances he and his daughter get grouped up with a trio of misfits going solo on an investigation into what happened and it takes off from there. The title has a dual meaning referring both to the motley band and the biker gang antagonists. One of the better movies of recent times surely and a tonic in pandemic times.

7.7 / 10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11655202/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
    I'd recommend the director's earlier film Men & Chicken as well. Pretty much the same cast and so out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,259 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Watched Shoplifters of the world

Story was a bit meh as we're the miserable main characters but the music was great. Suppose its was a smith's/Morrissey film so that's explains the gloom of it

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Stowaway

Budget Sci Fi , something along the lines of Sunshine with Cillian Murphy.

Pretty good space tale. Has some very clunky plot devices and a few glaring plot holes but get over them and it will please most fans of the genre.

7.5/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Prison Break Season 1

I remember watching this when it came out years ago and I was blown away. I praised this season so much and I wasn't alone as there was hype about it

I rewatched Season 1 again and I was struggling to get through it. I stubbornly finished it and have no intentions to go to Season 2.

Not sure what my problem is but it wasn't nearly as good as I remembered :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Banshee Seasons 1 - 4

Entertaining. Very violent.
    Stars "Homelander" from The Boys.

Quo Vadis Aida? 2020 A rare insight into the Balkan war and the realities from the perspective of a local family from Srebenica. Things happened there that are pretty unimaginable, and how the serbs went about it is about as bad as it gets. The UN is lucky it is still an organisation after the way they handled this.
    Overall a very impressive recreation, and very distributing how a few years later serb 'warlords' for want of a better word were walking about town like nothing had happened.

Nomadland

Watched this recently and with the Oscars results worth a comment.. An experiential film exploring a part of society that was heretofore never really looked at. I suppose that people who must have a paint-by-numbers / a-z plotline would not really get it. In a year where there is not a lot of strong competition I can see why it would do well at the awards. Female director and lead a factor undoubtedly. It's worthy but not a defining piece. Some may view it as dystopian and symptomatic of the failure of the American dream but also has a definite element of contrarianism / living outside the system and the vanlife movement is real (particularly in the US and not confined to oldies exclusively). Would be positively utopian if we could do a swap for these nomads with the ones that are found in these isles :pac:

7.2 / 10

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Mekko (2015) - a thriller set among a community of homeless Native Americans in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

The plot mixes the grim reality of homelessness amongst the native community in Tulsa, native spirituality and the ultimate fight with an evil spirit witch that takes the form of warriors or animal spirits. Shot on location in Tulsa, many of the cast are real people, rather than professional actors. A worthy work in the Native American movie genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

7.2 and 7.7 review on the same page. Congratulations on the rigour applied :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭p to the e

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Prison Break Season 1

I remember watching this when it came out years ago and I was blown away. I praised this season so much and I wasn't alone as there was hype about it

I rewatched Season 1 again and I was struggling to get through it. I stubbornly finished it and have no intentions to go to Season 2.

Not sure what my problem is but it wasn't nearly as good as I remembered :(

Was doing engineering in college at the time and a group of us got sucked into it even though we'd laugh at some of the engineering buzzwords thrown in. I still think Teabag is one of the most terrifying villains in a TV series. Watched the original 4 series and never went back to watch the one they made a few years back. Series 3 wasn't bad either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Crank is one of those films where I'd only seen excerpts, never the whole thing as a complete movie, so yesterday I finally started it from the beginning. If you've seen it, you'll know that commentary is superfluous: it is what it is, for better or worse. It takes a ludicrous premise and follows it past its logical breaking point. I don't think it could get made today, particularly that scene.But it's also hilarious in places, such as when he
    takes *all* the epinephrine

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

dubstepper wrote: »
    7.2 and 7.7 review on the same page. Congratulations on the rigour applied :)

just not good enough to make 7.5 and 8 respectively!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

bnt wrote: »
    Crank is one of those films where I'd only seen excerpts, never the whole thing as a complete movie, so yesterday I finally started it from the beginning. If you've seen it, you'll know that commentary is superfluous: it is what it is, for better or worse. It takes a ludicrous premise and follows it past its logical breaking point. I don't think it could get made today, particularly that scene.But it's also hilarious in places, such as when he
    takes *all* the epinephrine
    There's a scene involving a
    man being killed by a finger gun[/quote] that had me rolling on the floor with laughter, because the movie is so utterly silly fun that you almost roll with it. I can't think of any movie quite like it for being such a pure adrenaline rush.

The sequel isn't quite as good, but it is definitely worth a watch if you enjoyed Crank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭4Ad

Trigger Point.American ex-agency operator has to come back into the game to save someone...

Pure gack..1/10..
    Dont bother..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,470 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Nomadland.

Sometimes I am baffled about films that get huge critical acclaim/oscar nominations etc.

Found it to be 90min of nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭4Ad

NIMAN wrote: »
    Nomadland.

Sometimes I am baffled about films that get huge critical acclaim/oscar nominations etc.

Turned it off after 30 mins..Misery...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,777 ✭✭✭billyhead

4Ad wrote: »
    Turned it off after 30 mins..Misery...

Agree. I thought it was pure horse manure.

Nomadland.

Oh come on, there was some great scenes of francis taking pisses, and a really good one of her taking a **** in the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,470 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd be a big fan of Frances too, usually anything she is in is worth a watch.

Unfortunately, not in this one.

Also tried watching The Eight Hundred, the Chinese war blockbuster. I'd normally be a fan of such films, but I had to stop watching it, couldn't live with the style for 2.5hrs. All the characters shouting all the time, fast dialogue, everything at breakneck speed. Took away any realism for me, which was a shame as it looks great.

I guess its just a style that Chinese people might get. I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Nomadland.

Yeah, I agree. If Chloe Zhao wanted to explore the world of American nomads, I think a documentary would have been a better method rather than the trying to set a fictional narrative within that lifestyle.

I didn't find Francis McDormand's character in the least bit engaging and there is barely any plot. The movie just meanders from scene to scene.

In terms of the Oscar win, I think Viola Davis and Vanessa Kirby did a lot more work in their films. I don't quite see how McDormand's talents were fully on display in that movie. It seems like the type of role that would be a walk in the park for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Nomadland.

I really enjoyed Nomadland. I thought it was powerful stuff. I thought the portrayal of the woman who had lost job, home and partner heading off following the work in her van and meeting all the characters she connected with and hearing their stories was beautifully done. I watched it twice and the sadness and courage of it really hit me the second time. I find aspects of American society fascinating , how less homogeneous the people and the attitudes to life are in comparison with Irish society.That was all on display in Nomadland.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭al87987

The Father 9/10

Excellent portrayal of the problems of old age, Hopkins deserved the Oscar.

Nobody 7.5/10

John Wick style action flick with Bob Odenkirk doing his best Liam Neeson impression.

Capote 7/10

Bad Trip 8/10

Very funny.

Searching for Bobby Fischer 8/10

Godzilla vs King Kong 6/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭budgemook

Nomadland. Fantastic I thought, a beautiful and powerful film.

Advertisement