Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,690 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

glasso wrote: »
    Those that wish me dead

Hitmen trying to track down their prey when park firewoman Angelia Jolie (whose face looks like it's had some obair done) intervenes in fiery forest flick. Nothing complicated here in a 100 minute runtime. Aidan Gillen is a baddie. It's passable brain-bubblegum even if it's been done and seen before

5.6/ 10

Really enjoyed it, thought it was more a ensemble effort rather then an Angelina Jolie movie,, if you enjoy Taylor Sheridan other movies like Wind River and Hell and High Water you'll enjoy this.
    It's a solid 7.5 out of 10 for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I remember I watched happy death day on a flight from the states and was pleasantly surprised at how entertaining it was. Not great by any means but I certainly enjoyed it for 90 odd minutes. Said I'd throw on the sequel tonight..... awfully poor..... found myself hitting the skip 10sec button quite often to flick through it.

Really enjoyed it, thought it was more a ensemble effort rather then an Angelina Jolie movie,, if you enjoy Taylor Sheridan other movies like Wind River and Hell and High Water you'll enjoy this.
    It's a solid 7.5 out of 10 for me!

It's certainly not in the class of those other 2 movies mentioned and I think that I also may work off a slightly different scale method!

It was ok but it was full of cliches, Jolie looked weird, a bit too much wokeness going on at times and the ending run in was lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Out of Time
    An old Denzel thriller. I've never seen it before. Plenty of twists and turns to keep the mind occupied. Never a dull moment in it. Bit daft overall, but if you switch the brain off, and just take it for what it is, it's quite good. Pretty similar to an older Kevin Costner movie - Nowhere to Run.
    A 7 out of 10

If you liked Out of Time and No Way Out, The Big Clock (Ray Milland and Charles Laughton) is worth a look. I'm not sure if it's available to stream anywhere.

The Last Vermeer - 2019

Entertaining enough caper based on a true story set just after the end of World War 2 in Holland where an artist turned art dealer (Guy Pearce as Hans Van Meegeren) is brought up on charges of doing business with the Nazis during the war. An Allied forces army investigator is looking into it initially (a plank-ish Claes Bang) but is pushed aside by the Dutch police eventually. The real story eventually becomes clear. Good enough as said overall but probably not for the thriller-action-only crowd.

6.4 / 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

4Ad wrote: »
    Nobody.

Surburban dad seeks revenge after his house is robbed..

Worse than terrible..
    -10/10...

If you take it literally, very bad.

He wasn't looking for revenge, he was looking for the kitty-cat bracelet of his daughter. Plus all the scenes with dad are priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,845 ✭✭✭billyhead

If you liked Nobody you should watch the series Banshee. Plenty of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

The quick and the dead

Pretty darn good western. Bit of a twist to have a female lead but Stone does well. Gene Hackman is great as the bad guy. He's so good in every scene that you can't take your eyes off him.

It is the kind of movie you could watch many times as it moves at a good clip. The idea of the gunslinger competition is a great one for an action drama.

The only quibble I would have is the flashbacks which are heavy on the cliches.

Bonus trailer with old style voice overs :)

6.5/10

judywriter wrote: »
    What is the best movie you have watched recently?

Another Round - Drama, Comedy

Riders of Justice - Action, Comedy

Both Danish films actually but well worth a watch.

Both starring the excellent Mads Mikkelsen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

billyhead wrote: »

But it's not about the action and brutality. Here is just a medium to express carefulness for the family values, leaving behind old things to devote yourself for the family. Nobody is a movie that celebrates family and loving people you care about: children, spouses and parents.

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »

Banshee had lots of action along with tits and ass but not much else.

Story was very basic soap-opera type stuff that got worse as it went along.

Certainly no classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭buried

Boys From County Hell (2020)

This has been critically panned by all manner of high falutin critics such as Roger Ebert et al, people who obviously expect every single horror film to be held to the exact same standards as The Exorcist or Halloween, but this thing is a really enjoyable nicely rounded 90 minutes of comedic horror shlock. Basically a shlocky B movie Irish vampire film, but at the same time everything here is crafted really well, some of the acting ain't great in parts, the story moves fast and basic enough to go with it, but it has to given the running minutes. Like any solid B-movie it works fine as long as you don't take the thing so feicin serious. Its shot very well. The sequential editing is really really good in this, almost comic book like in its execution, which really makes you enjoy the movie even with some of the absolute silliness, where in parts, this silliness tries to be too silly at times. Sound design is great too. Well crafted B movie shlock with comedic Hardy Bucks shtyle rural Irish vibes going on. Its not a masterpiece, just well crafted and shot for its budget. Was expecting way worse but was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed it for what it was. 6/10

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

buried wrote: »

This has been critically panned by all manner of high falutin critics such as Roger Ebert et al,...
    Ebert died seven years before this came out. If he panned it, that'd make for another horror movie in its own right.

I see Nick Allen reviewed it for rogerebert.com all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Decuc500

buried wrote: »

This has been critically panned by all manner of high falutin critics such as Roger Ebert et al, people who obviously expect every single horror film to be held to the exact same standards as The Exorcist or Halloween, but this thing is a really enjoyable nicely rounded 90 minutes of comedic horror shlock. Basically a shlocky B movie Irish vampire film, but at the same time everything here is crafted really well, some of the acting ain't great in parts, the story moves fast and basic enough to go with it, but it has to given the running minutes. Like any solid B-movie it works fine as long as you don't take the thing so feicin serious. Its shot very well. The sequential editing is really really good in this, almost comic book like in its execution, which really makes you enjoy the movie even with some of the absolute silliness, where in parts, this silliness tries to be too silly at times. Sound design is great too. Well crafted B movie shlock with comedic Hardy Bucks shtyle rural Irish vibes going on. Its not a masterpiece, just well crafted and shot for its budget. Was expecting way worse but was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed it for what it was. 6/10

I really liked this. I thought the script was very witty and the horror parts to it were done very well. Nicely shot as well. A pleasant surprise for me.

Shame on any film critic who can't get on board with something as irreverent, fun and well made as this.

Also, I think Ebert would have loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Assassins (1995)

I don't know what happened to Richard Donner with this. After directing classics like The Omen, Superman, and the Lethal Weapon trilogy, Assassins feels like it was made by a straight to video director. It isn't even in the so-bad-its-good category. Just terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

olvias wrote: »
    Sunday I watched Shot Caller, again a really good film, slightly difficult to follow at times but really very good, another 9/10.

I found it slightly above average for the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

Killing time on a train here. Thought I'd put together a list of films I've watched over the past couple of weeks. All are great, pretty decent, or at least have something to recommend to them.

Buoyancy (2019) - Charts the journey of a young Cambodian teen seeking a better life outside his village. This was absolutely superb. While it deals with the heavy theme of human trafficking, it isn't in any way preachy but still explores the realities with sensitivity and insight. The film starts at a pedestrian pace but slowly evolves in to a very tense thriller

The Brand New testament (2015) - Dark comedy centred on God, his wife and young daughter who live in a grimy apartment in modern day Brussels. God is a crusty, abusive misanthrope who enjoys toying with his human creations. His idealistic daughter is on a quest to write a new testament, with the help of 6 earthly disciples. Although this film is Belgian, it is the probably the most French film I have ever seen. Despite all its Frenchiness, I liked it a lot

Carriers (2009) - Surprisingly watchable low budget pandemic themed movie from 2009 staring Chris Pine. Although the marketing would have you believe otherwise, this is not a zombie-fest like 28 days later. But like 28 days later it is primarily a human drama set against the backdrop of pandemic type disaster, albeit a flatter drama without quite the same level of depth. Worse ways to spend 90 mins though

Frantz (2016) - Romance/period drama set in post WWI Germany. A grieving young widow encounters a former French soldier at her husbands grave. A friend of her late husband, he slowly folds himself in to her life. The townsfolk are not particularly enamoured with his presence, so soon after Germany's defeat. Predictable in parts, yet completely unpredictable in others. Great score as well - though, not so sure if Chopin's nocturne no. 20 was the best choice of musical hook (used in so many films...). Also yer wan is a belter.

Unhinged (2020) - And now for something completely different. Russell Crowe stars as the unhinged individual alluded to in the title. An innocuous traffic incident spirals in to a murderous rampage. Not for the faint hearted - this film is absolutely *gruesome* from the get go. Received very tepid reviews, with some reviewers alleging that the film lacked intelligent commentary an didn't have enough to say (about what, I wonder?). To be fair, the film doesn't really try to say anything deep or insightful - that was kind of refreshing as I wouldn't have wanted any trite social commentary getting in the way of Russell Crowe fighting around the world.

Beanpole (2019) - This is a very slow burning and somewhat bleak drama centred on two women struggling to make sense of their lives in post WWII Leningrad. This is certainly not for everyone and not one to watch on date night or to beat the Sunday scaries. Gorgeous colour palate is absolutely outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭El Duda

The Clovehitch Killer – 7/10

This is what Mindhunter Season 3 would look like if David Fincher got cancelled and had to finance it himself. A very astute piece of filmmaking for such a young and inexperienced director (Duncan Skiles).

It’s a serial killer film that teases the audience by suggesting who the Killer is likely to be right from the off and uses that as the catalyst for tension/suspense. An astutely made film where everything feels very calculated and precise.

Lucky – 8/10

A very fitting send off for the great Harry Dean Stanton. Directed by John Carroll Lynch, this is a bittersweet drama with bucket loads of charm. Lucky is an isolated, frail old man who lives in a quiet desert town. Upon receiving some bad news from the doctors, he begins to contemplate his mortality and starts to interact with the quirky inhabitants of his town in new ways.

Harry Dean Stanton can convey a lifetime of jadedness with the slightest change of expression. It’s a masterful performance from one of cinemas greatest character actors, his CV is just unreal. Whilst the focus of the film is clearly Lucky reflecting on his misanthropic ways, David Lynch almost steals the show with his ‘runaway tortoise’ subplot.

At times it almost feels like an extension of Twin peak’s more charming and comedic moments. A lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Prophecy – Jurassic Park/10

Toxic Waste wreaks havoc upon the environment, creating a giant Man-Bear-Pig type creature. Hilarity ensues.

WTF even is this and why is two-time Oscar nominated Talia Shire in it? For the most part this film is just an onslaught of gibberish dialogue delivered with po-faced intensity.

There are some enjoyable practical effects, though they are used far too sparingly. Bear attacks are few and far between, and when we do see Man-Bear-Pig he just wobbles around haplessly whilst roaring.

I like to think that this is the film that inspired Spielberg to make Jurassic Park, the similarities are startling. Both films feature;

• A prologue where a person/people wearing hard hats are killed by an unseen beast
    • A scene where the two protagonists are convinced to leave their current work and go and to an exotic location
    • A fly over luscious green landscapes with rousing music
    • An animal being suspended in the air with straps – JP it’s the cow they feed to the raptors, in Prophecy it’s that dog
    • A sequence where they ‘rescue’ a wounded baby animal which alert parent(s). (Baby T-Rex in The Lost World)
    • A scene where characters discuss the ethics of a large corporation
    • Both end with the survivors flying away without ridding the habitat of scary creature(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭KurtVon

Zodiac (2007)

It had been a long time since I saw this from start to finish. It holds up really well. A compelling story about the impact on the lives of those investigating the murder spree. It feels like a very authentic portrayal of California in the late 60’s/ early 70’s.

Great cast and soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Midsommar.

I'd wanted to see this since I first heard about it and even more so since I Hereditary by the same director.

There's a lot going on and a lot to wrap your head around. On the surface, its an unsettling horror movie, not unlike the original version of the Wicker Man but with a more menacing tone. But if you look deeper, there's a lot to be said about healing from trauma and toxic relationships and how to break free from them. I also took a lot from it about finding your own independence.

Its an incrddibly shot picture and I found it a lot smoother than Hereditray. Ari Aster does a tidier job of addressing the points he sets out to in this one and I found the mood to be a lot more disturbing. Hereditary is quite dark visually but Midsommar isn't, which lures you into a flase sense of security. This is a loud fil, by the way, especially as it reaches the climax.

Would highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"London has Fallen" (2016) on Amazon Prime.

AAAABfCWKaWvZmtVPmLpWLLOlFHVraSOpREf4eHTMZPi8e5HccE975qFisQ-lQwcRK5clM4Ln1rGbZyrLnIRouTmWNhnk9rnzr1Iow.jpg

Another in the 'leave your brain outside before viewing' category and there's lots of non-stop action. Implausible plot and the complete penetration of the Metropolitan Police by dozens of terrorists is hard to take seriously. Nevertheless, if you like seeing hordes of baddies being wasted this may be for you. 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Del.Monte wrote: »
    "London has Fallen" (2016) on Amazon Prime.

AAAABfCWKaWvZmtVPmLpWLLOlFHVraSOpREf4eHTMZPi8e5HccE975qFisQ-lQwcRK5clM4Ln1rGbZyrLnIRouTmWNhnk9rnzr1Iow.jpg

Another in the 'leave your brain outside before viewing' category and there's lots of non-stop action. Implausible plot and the complete penetration of the Metropolitan Police by dozens of terrorists is hard to take seriously. Nevertheless, if you like seeing hordes of baddies being wasted this may be for you. 7/10

I watched the "Has fallen" trilogy some months ago. I found them quite entertaining. Implausible ya. But if you don't go looking to find plotholes and just taken them as they are, they are entertaining.

Watched a couple of decent flicks over the weekend:-

Embattled
    MMA fighting. Bit like Warrrior, just not as good. But I'd definitely still recommend. Has that family emotional stuff going on, and bit of fighting. I just kept thinking how Stephen Dorf's character seems like Conor McGregor!! Not that I know McGregor, but just from the media feed. 7 out of 10

Bad times at El Royal
    I thought this was going to be some interesting whodunit mystery thing. I'm not sure what was the purpose of the movie. It doesn't really seem to go anywhere, and is at least 3/4s of an hour too long. Would not recommend. 5 out of 10

North Hollywood
    Had never heard about this. Came across a recommendation whilst browsing the net. It's a type of coming of age movie, and with skateboarding as the central theme. I really enjoyed it, but I do love those type movies (i.e. coming of age, emotional, angsty films. I know nothing about skateboarding).
    It's a very simple movie, nice dialogue and acting. 8 out of 10.

Run All Night
    A by the book Liam Neeson action movie. Not much else to say. If you like mindless action, then you'd get your kicks from it. Didn't do it for me. Lots of similar movies with same kind of storyline, but much better. 5 out of 10.

The taking of Pelham 123
    Another action one - Denzel and Travolta. Loved the dialogue between the 2 of them. Makes it an interesting flick. I recommend if you like action movies with just a little extra character depth to them. 8 out of 10.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Without Remorse
    Without Aim might be a better title.

Raw Deal
    Mid-80s Arnie thing - it was alright.

Men in Black: International
    I've a memory of someone talking about the third instalment not having a full script whilst in production. I had only seen the first one (not in the cinema) which was rather good fun. This hangs together fine, good cast. It's just rather inert and unmemorable and the humour isn't strong enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

* Tenet - Really enjoyed it, though had subtitles enabled as per recommendations. An enjoyable romp, though not as clever as it thinks is. 8/10

* Army of the Dead - Looks good, great cast - I can suspend my disbelief for zombies, but not for some of the stupid ass decisions made by characters in the name of plot. It's worth the watch, but don't expect to be blown away. 6/10

Wrath of Man. Guy Ritchie and Jason Statham back together again. You know what you're getting into - I class this kind of thing as good rubbish.

7/10 for a boring Tuesday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Re Taking of Pelham 123. I've managed to avoid seeing the remake and hopefully always will :D

HARRY AND TONTO 1974 Dir. Paul Mazursky.
    Art Carney and his cat hit the road in various ways heading west in what is basically the first "OAP on a journey" film I think. Funny thing is that Carney was just 56 and his sons are played by actors in their 40 but he plays old well and won Academy Award for best actor. It's a series of vignettes and each is very enjoyable catching a country in transition from post war to post hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Re Taking of Pelham 123. I've managed to avoid seeing the remake and hopefully always will :D

HARRY AND TONTO 1974 Dir. Paul Mazursky.
    Art Carney and his cat hit the road in various ways heading west in what is basically the first "OAP on a journey" film I think. Funny thing is that Carney was just 56 and his sons are played by actors in their 40 but he plays old well and won Academy Award for best actor. It's a series of vignettes and each is very enjoyable catching a country in transition from post war to post hope.

It's not going to leave a major void in your life if you don'e watch it, but it is an entertaining flick.

If you're an easy going enough individual and accept an action movie for what it is and ignore improbabilities, then it a good way to pass 2 hours.
    But it is not for those snotty folks who frown upon an action film because "it is ridiculas for a car to be on 2 wheels" or for the good guy to be able to run whilst shot 6 times in the leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Brightburn (2019). The loose concept was what if Superman was sent to earth not as a saviour but en-slaver. Missed it when it was in the cinema not too long ago and having read some the reviews I wasn't expecting much but really enjoyed it. They really overdo the "I see him now, look away, look back he's gone" trope for some reason and the acting isn't stellar but at 90 minutes doesn't outstay its welcome. Also a lot gorier than I was expecting. 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,525 ✭✭✭brevity

• Advertisement

Just rewatching Hell or High Water. Again. Such a great film.

Advertisement