Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

Breathless is top class. Great film to watch if you're on a date. Will check out that 'Le Professione'l work, sounds interesting

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭joombo

Happy Death Day 2U (2019) - 9/10

Quirky and funny with a great cast of characters, it’s an enjoyable and entertaining film.

The plot does lose pace a bit in the middle and the horror takes a back seat to the comedy, but the jump scares as still very well done and Rothe as the lead is just as likeable as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Widows - Meant to watch this ages ago, mainly because of all the acting talent involved and who doesn't like a good heist movie at the end of the day. Also I was curious about how a potentially art-house "popcorn" thriller approach might work with your man Steve McQueen at the helm. I missed the movie in its original cinema run and I asked a friend of mine - whose assessment of movies I generally trust - who had seen it for his opinion. His one word review was "shite" which caused me a degree of confusion, considering all the laudatory reviews it has been picking up.

Have to say after watching it I would more closely align myself with the former assessment, rather than the latter. I found the film to be pretty underwhelming. I didn't believe it, I thought the plot was preposterous, struggled to care about any of the characters and in the end I didn't think it succeeded either in terms of being popcorn thriller or as a grittier, headier mutation of the genre.

It's got a lot of praise, particularly in the States, because it's a film with things on its mind about racial and gender politics, which I can see makes it easy to support. I wouldn't fault the film for at least trying to say things, but I think everything gets pretty muddled in execution.

The machinations of the plot - which take a while to get going - are just too ridiculous to take seriously. I didn't believe the metamorphosis of these "widows" from neophytes to a Robert De Niro in Heat level of criminal competence over the space of what? - the script in hazily unclear when it comes to the duration of time - two weeks? I understood their dilemma and all and the actresses/actors do a good job, but it felt like a fairy tale. Which would have been okay, up to a point - but it wanted to be tough too and real. My suspension of belief was stretched beyond breaking point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Girl in the Spiders Web (2018)

Jettisons all of the seedy, grimy world of Sweden's underbelly from Larson's novels - and the previous film adaptations (Finchers in particular) - replaced by dint of a retrofit into a boilerplate, Bond knock off, complete with Salander as action hero & an asinine nuclear McGuffin. It was laughable stuff it wasn't so humourless and po-faced, and a pretty cynical, obvious attempt to make this into an action-thriller franchise.

Arghus wrote: »
    Widows - Meant to watch this ages ago, mainly because of all the acting talent involved and who doesn't like a good heist movie at the end of the day. Also I was curious about how a potentially art-house "popcorn" thriller approach might work with your man Steve McQueen at the helm. I missed the movie in its original cinema run and I asked a friend of mine - whose assessment of movies I generally trust - who had seen it for his opinion. His one word review was "shite" which caused me a degree of confusion, considering all the laudatory reviews it has been picking up.

Have to say after watching it I would more closely align myself with the former assessment, rather than the latter. I found the film to be pretty underwhelming. I didn't believe it, I thought the plot was preposterous, struggled to care about any of the characters and in the end I didn't think it succeeded either in terms of being popcorn thriller or as a grittier, headier mutation of the genre.

It's got a lot of praise, particularly in the States, because it's a film with things on its mind about racial and gender politics, which I can see makes it easy to support. I wouldn't fault the film for at least trying to say things, but I think everything gets pretty muddled in execution.

The machinations of the plot - which take a while to get going - are just too ridiculous to take seriously. I didn't believe the metamorphosis of these "widows" from neophytes to a Robert De Niro in Heat level of criminal competence over the space of what? - the script in hazily unclear when it comes to the duration of time - two weeks? I understood their dilemma and all and the actresses/actors do a good job, but it felt like a fairy tale. Which would have been okay, up to a point - but it wanted to be tough too and real. My suspension of belief was stretched beyond breaking point.

both Widows and Black Panther were over-rated for reasons of gender and race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Thunder Road - 2018

Written, directed and lead performance by same guy. Cringey tragic comedy observing a gung-ho cops life unravel. Beneath all the zany stuff the movie has a massive heart.

7.5/10

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/thunder_road_2018

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

The Favourite

Period drama where two women vie for the attention of the Queen. Well acted , costume and sets are amazing . Less Pride and prejudice more dangerous liaisons.

Worth a watch 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Wombatman wrote: »
    Thunder Road - 2018

Written, directed and lead performance by same guy. Cringey tragic comedy observing a gung-ho cops life unravel. Beneath all the zany stuff the movie has a massive heart.

7.5/10

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/thunder_road_2018

I watched this a while back and enjoyed it too. Thought the guy in the lead was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭8mv

Life on Netflix. Wasn't bad - I was doing some tedious spreadsheet work at the same time and it was a perfect movie for that - nothing too demanding. Jake Gyllenhaal and Rebecca Ferguson will not look back at it as their best work but it was OK.
    6/10

Keeper Of The Flame Mrs. mv likes an old B+W movie so I bought a box set of Tracy/Hepburn and this was one of them - I'd never heard of it before, and it's very good indeed. ST plays a writer / journalist just back from wartime Europe and, cynical about the state of the world, wants to write an up-lifting story about a recently deceased war hero / businessman who seemingly everybody admired. KH is his widow.
    It becomes clear that the deceased man was plotting to manipulate a large chunk of the American public, using his fame and popularity in the media to scapegoat minorities and ethnic groups and placing himself at the head of a new neo-fascist state.
    Surely nothing like that could ever happen! Great movie - kept me riveted to the end. 9/10

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Finally got around to Bohemian Rhapsody.

It was an entertaining couple of hours but left me with the distinct feeling they missed the chance to make a really special film. It played for me like a safe, paint-by-numbers biopic. Almost like something you'd find on the Hallmark channel, or a BBC production. It was fine, but given the source material and particularly the music, it deserved to be better.

Rami Malek was good, though to be honest I found him annoying mostly, maybe because of the halloween teeth. Sacha Baron Cohen who wanted the role originally, for me, was perfect casting. Not sure even he could have fixed the pedestrian direction though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

The One I Love

It's a kind of mystery romantic comedy. I have it on at the moment, it's fairly entertaining so far. Elizabeth Moss and Mark Duplass are in it, both of whom are usually watchable and aren't letting me down yet.

8mv wrote: »
    Life on Netflix. Wasn't bad - I was doing some tedious spreadsheet work at the same time and it was a perfect movie for that - nothing too demanding. Jake Gyllenhaal and Rebecca Ferguson will not look back at it as their best work but it was OK.
    6/10

I actually thought that this was pretty good overall, although the ending was a bit meh.

7.5 / 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Roma - very hard work to get through and Paddleton, some annoying twitches by Ray Romano aside, a very tough topic dealt with reasonably well.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭j.s. pill II

Arghus wrote: »
    Widows - Meant to watch this ages ago, mainly because of all the acting talent involved and who doesn't like a good heist movie at the end of the day. Also I was curious about how a potentially art-house "popcorn" thriller approach might work with your man Steve McQueen at the helm. I missed the movie in its original cinema run and I asked a friend of mine - whose assessment of movies I generally trust - who had seen it for his opinion. His one word review was "shite"

...... My suspension of belief was stretched beyond breaking point.

Shite is right

Dogman (2018)

Gritty crime drama/character study set in grim Italian backwater town. Don't expect smartly dressed mafiosas sitting around eating capocollo - like the superb Suburra, the focus is more on real small town thugish bastrds.

Excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"Kill Switch" (2017) on Netflix.

Sci-Fi drama with an interesting plot but which ultimately disappoints. Would not recommend to a friend - if I had one. 3/10

I watched 15 seconds of the Deadwood movie in the Oscars HBO trailer and that was enough to get me excited for the return of Deadwood. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"Extremely Dangerous" (1999) on YouTube.

Four-part British TV crime drama starring Sean Bean.

It was only after the first few minutes that I realised that I had watched it before but decided to stick with it and enjoyed it as much as the first time. Plenty of action and a very satisfactory ending. 8/10.

Just found my previous post about it from 2016 https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102072186&postcount=8262 - same rating too - wonders will never cease.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Kenpo

Rian Johnston recently referenced this film as one of the inspirations for his new murder mystery film.

It's worth a watch...a decent thriller with a good cast (James Coburn, Ian McShane, James Mason) and a nice twist at the end.

What We Do In The Shadows - 8/10
    Hilarious mockumentary about vampire life in New Zealand. There's something about the dry Kiwi humour that just makes my sides split.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Leave No Trace

about a 7.9 on the lighthouse cinema craft beer with posh crispsometer
    Interesting drama that looks at a father and daughters relationship as they rough it on the margins of society , nice slow pace if your in that mood , I enjoyed.

7.8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Hole in the Ground in the cinema this evening. It was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭al87987

Sorry to bother you -7.5/10

Interesting concept well executed, memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Life -not brilliant but holds your attention for the duration.

Den skyldige (The Guilty) 2018

Tight, tense Danish kidnapping mystery set in a police emergency contact centre.

Like Locke, the 'action' takes place entirely through phonecalls.

Really enjoyed this one - at 85 mins it was perfectly paced and had no unnecessary filler.
    I think this film should be played at all those unconscious bias seminars that workplaces send their workers for re-Ned-ucation. Illustrates the concept very succinctly

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Do The Right Thing – 9/10

So far ahead of its time and alarmingly relevant to this day still. This ‘Spike Lee Joint’ frequently appears on many peoples top 10 lists and many directors speak of how influential it was for them.

The first hour has a very loose feel to it. It reminded me a lot of Dazed & Confused and Clerks where we are just being introduced to a variety of characters whilst maintaining a slightly improvisational tone to certain scenes. Tension slowly builds and tempers begin to flare in the scorching heat, building to a powerful and shocking crescendo. If you haven’t seen it, the less I say the better. You simply MUST see this film. It creates such powerful racial dynamics and critics have debated many aspects of the finale for years.

This film ticks so many boxes and lives up to its reputation. A fantastic piece of film making.

Unfortunately, the old DVD I had looked awful and the bright, vibrant colours looked garishly saturated, I need that bluray next time. Also, for some reason I got this mixed up with ‘The Right Stuff’ so for the first 20 minutes I was wondering when Mookie would begin his journey into becoming an astronaut. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Overlord (2018)

An effective and robust R-rated, B-movie: a stripped-down throwback to when Hollywood produced these kind of medium tier genre films; self-contained adventures with tangible low stakes and straightforward plotting. Even the character arcs, while cliché, were elementary, relatable. Only the CGI gore betrayed the era from which the film comes, but it was over the top enough to actually increase the pulp sensibility the film was aiming for. In a climate of shared universes, overblown scale and method, it was refreshing to watch a solid, visceral, almost "nuts and bolts" kind of movie.

Captain Marvel in the cinema this evening; It was very good.

El Duda wrote: »
    Do The Right Thing – 9/10

So far ahead of its time and alarmingly relevant to this day still. This ‘Spike Lee Joint’ frequently appears on many peoples top 10 lists and many directors speak of how influential it was for them.

The first hour has a very loose feel to it. It reminded me a lot of Dazed & Confused and Clerks where we are just being introduced to a variety of characters whilst maintaining a slightly improvisational tone to certain scenes. Tension slowly builds and tempers begin to flare in the scorching heat, building to a powerful and shocking crescendo. If you haven’t seen it, the less I say the better. You simply MUST see this film. It creates such powerful racial dynamics and critics have debated many aspects of the finale for years.

This film ticks so many boxes and lives up to its reputation. A fantastic piece of film making.

Unfortunately, the old DVD I had looked awful and the bright, vibrant colours looked garishly saturated, I need that bluray next time. Also, for some reason I got this mixed up with ‘The Right Stuff’ so for the first 20 minutes I was wondering when Mookie would begin his journey into becoming an astronaut. :o

And that's the truth, Ruth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

BlacKkKlansman disappointed the weewee out of me, but 'Do The Right Thing' is a film I can always watch again and again and again. Top notch tack.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Advertisement