Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,574 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Two excellent roles for Robin Williams that year with Insomnia and One Hour Photo it just showed how good an actor he was giving the right role

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Pacino defends his Heat performance by pointing out that his character was meant to be high on cocaine a lot of the time but Mann cut it out.

While his performance in Insomnia is relatively quieter, it still feels very close to Vincent Hanna to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I said it before and will say it again: Comedians, the good ones, have an understanding of the Human Condition, plus naturally good timing anyway, that often translates into them being deceptively good dramatic actors. Many have been known to use their routines to process their own mental health problems, in turn resulting in more raw and naturalistic dramatic performances, compared with Method actors or the like.

It'd make sense; IIRC Christopher Nolan was always a huge fan of Mann, and Heat especially. Have to imagine when helming Insomnia, Nolan had Vincent Hanna in the back of his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,152 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Couldn't agree more. Williams, after years of schmaltzy roles, showed that he could reach parts that were genuinely thought to be beyond him. I think that both of the movies you mention are his best turns.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Even aside from the drama roles, the guy commanded the box office in the 90s, his films like Jumanji, Mrs Doubtfire, Clubber etc made hundreds of millions of dollars. With films children loved.

There isn't really an equivalent these days; certainly not an actor/entertainer who children would immediately flock to a cinema for. Characters, sure. Captain Marvel, America, Iron Man and so on. But not actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

He also was the first celebrity voice actor to appear in an animated movie, I was listening to a podcast the other which was lamenting the practice nowadays of casting big names in animated movies rather than using established voice actors and they were saying it started with Williams who actually saw it coming and only agreed to Aladdin if Disney didn't use his likeness and name to promote the movie which they of course did anyway. Supposedly he stipulated in his will that they can do the same for 20 years after his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭monkeyactive

PREY

A Predator franchise Film on Disney Plus.

Did not like it at all even as a Predator Fan. Amazing premise but I could not get past the completely unconvincing clean cut Indians and the actors they got to play them looked like they were just about ready to wash off the make up and go back to coachella. Very pedestrian stuff , I really wanted gritty convincing Indians like Heuron from Last of the Mohicans or the Ree from The Revenant .

3/10

• Registered Users Posts: 86,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Me Time on Netflix, Kevin Hart being Kevin Hart in a buddy movie with Mark Wahlberg, no bromance chemistry like The Rock and Kevin, I wouldn't recommend

Porco Rosso (1992)

Only Miyazaki could make aerial dogfights both thrilling, yet oddly chill and tranquil at the same time.

Obviously between this and The Wind Rises, Miyazaki really betrayed a love of aircraft through those films' iconography; a passion for the golden age of flying and aircraft design. This film's most detailed, exacting scenes were often those of planes both at rest in hangers, or sweeping across the blue canvas like swallows. Those little glints of light across the canvas wings inviting awe - a love that was infectious. I'd challenge even the most dispassionate viewer, those most apathetic towards the smoke and oil of the analogue era, to walk away and not feel a shiver; Miyazaki wanted us to warm to those rickety craft - both ungainly yet graceful at the same time.

All that said, this wasn't a superficial creature: behind that excitable, gear-head grin sat a simple, melancholy tale. Of a pig, both literal and figurative, so wracked with Survivor's Guilt and self-loathing he had fooled himself into ignorance of an obvious, loyal affection. While like those Westerns where the railroad signified the slow extinction of a near-mythical age, Porco Rosso's romp was constantly shadowed by the encroaching corruption of fascism and obsolescence. Knowing the jet-age was only a few years away, this "simple" time of airboats felt doubly doomed. This was the dying of the light; the ending of the film punctuated this, while also vaguely hopeful - albeit with its smile tempered by a sense of something forever lost.  

"I'd much rather be a pig than a fascist". A creed to live by.

• Advertisement

Strange Days (1995)

I'll be so bold as to call this something of a lost classic. Tried to mentally spitball why it disappeared into the cultural Memory Hole. Perhaps a louder clue was its then future LA has now become the non-existent past; maybe it was the use of clunky disk-drives, ageing the whole conceit to the point of goofiness; perhaps that the star was Ralph Fiennes, rather than a bankable action behemoth, sank its impact ('twas the era of Arnie/Sly/Bruceera after all). Or maybe it was its powder-keg topicality - taking the Rodney King tragedy, then extrapolating it into a Los Angeles on the verge of full collapse - that left it all Too 1990s. In any case, this was a total rush, an absolutely stormer. Its absence on digital streaming platforms is a bit of a disgrace, to be blunt. 

All of it was executed with a swagger and confidence that belied the fact this was Kathryn Bigelow's first proper blockbuster. An assurance that was underlined from the very first scene, with a frankly astonishing "one shot" entirely conducted from the first-person perspective of a coked-up robber. There were many of those point-of-view moments throughout, and it was a feat of analogue magic Bigelow made it all happen so convincingly in that pre-digital era - before CGI, iPhones and GoPros made this kind of trick relatively trivial. The zenith of their use was a repulsive, uncomfortable Inciting Incident; one that genuinely shocked and disoriented me. The ultimate horror of this cyberpunk concept was underlined both by the performances of the actors, and the discomfort of the audience, suddenly forced to witness a truly horrible crime.

Sure there were a few missteps here and there, especially with its occasionally superficial characterisation, or a late-game romance; but the overall experience was an excellent thriller within a fascinatingly realised world. A world that, when the two Blade Runners are removed, has been curiously under-explored on film. Cyberpunk has seen a few cinematic dalliances sure - but often with very mixed results. To whit: Virtuosity, another 1995 film as it happens. By and large there hasn't been a huge volume of examples. I wonder why that might be?

Oh and Angela Bassett also deserves celebration within the pantheon of great female action stars. She completely dominated the film when she was around. While the way Fiennes uncannily resembled Bradley Cooper was spooky.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I think if you want cyberpunk you mostly have to look to anime for it, though it is well represented there. But yes, as a fellow latecomer to Strange Days, I agree that it is a compelling watch and is disconcertingly confident about itself for a "first big budget film" outing.

Perhaps a louder clue was its then future LA has now become the non-existent past

This has always been the problem with movies that try to depict a future that's only a few years away. They become quaint very, very, fast. It's generally an issue with Sci-Fi that when the year in question is reached the story becomes redundant in many ways. In the case of 'Strange Days' that year was 2000, just 5 years after the film was released. So it had a built in destiny to clash with reality.

Irrespective of that, the picture is pretty good. It jostles with 'Near Dark' as Bigelow's best.

Those PoV scenes were astonishing, each one. There was one in particular, with a mirror behind the person the PoV character was interacting with ... and I could barely see the joins. Must dig out some Making Of info 'cos it must have been a logistical nightmare to shoot so many of those scenes - and in that case, reversed(?)

It's funny to watch stuff like this, compared with how blockbusters are made now: often indie directors like Colin Trevorrow, with one small film under their belt, suddenly helming giant CGI driven blockbusters and basically anonymous or superseded by the 2nd Unit. Strange Days was like a bit shot of adrenaline. She's only 70: give Bigelow a Blank Cheque you cowards!

Also, forgot to mention but Tom Sizemore's wig. chef's kiss.

Perhaps if the digital age hadn't taken off around 2000 anyway, Strange Days' tech mightn't have aged so fast? Felt like it needed a few more years to simmer in the zeitgeist. The internet wasn't that far around the corner, and oh my god I just see now the famously awful "The Net" was also released in 1995. Quite the year for cyberpunk, internet thrillers.

Fkn' ell!

She's 70? 😲

A fantastic director my two favourites are Near Dark and Point Break. Can't believe she is 70!

Me neither. She's a grand looking 70.

Well if Clint is anything to go by she has another 20 years in her, at least! Detroit was rather poorly received, right? Never got around to seeing it, but can't see any news of newer projects coming down the tracks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

She's supposed to be doing something for Netflix, I think. An adaptation of a book about a woman trying to survive with her son after a major power outage caused by a world wide energy crisis...... so..... complete fantasy, obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rdhma

Lamb (2021)

Slow paced and strange Icelandic movie, something like a Brothers Grimm tale, with some WTF moments. Makes its points very subtly. Can't say too much without spoilers.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, so she is. Weird it didn't come up in the News tab of a Google Search; appears to be an adaptation of an apocalyptic novel from David Koepp. Was only announced in March - so I guess we won't see it for a couple of years.

One more Strange Days item. I was listening to the Blank Check podcast covering the film: they were saying on that convincing street party at the end, with seemingly thousands of extras? Oh yeah, it was an actual, legitimate rave organised by the producers; they got 10,000(!!!) people to pay $10 to attend, it had popular techo DJs of the time performing ... and to polish off the legitimacy, there were even a few ecstasy overdoses.

Infected with toxic, shítty producers it might have been, but I absolutely love what has basically become an extinct form of Hollywood filmmaking. Christopher Nolan could probably make it happen, and that's about it. Need a crazy street party or rave? Just organise a giant street party or rave!

Post edited by pixelburp on

So a long time ago I caught The Omega Man on the TV and really enjoyed the movie and the whole concept of the last man alive battling vampires fascinated me as a young boy. I've watched it a number of times and always enjoy it and Charlton Heston's performance.

I really hated the Will Smith CGI heavy movie from 2007 I am Legend, a missed opportunity there.

But The Omega Man wasn't the first adaptation of Richard Matheson's Novel. Vincent Price starred in an 1964 adaptation called The Last Man on Earth, I've been meaning to watch this for years and finally did last night and have to say really enjoyed it, a fantastic performance from Vincent Price, ok the vampires are more like zombies in the way they move. Well worth watching the rights have lapsed and can be watched on YouTube linked below.

After watching it last night It's probably my favourite adaptation of the Novel. 8/10

IIRC 'Detroit' was pretty well received by most but didn't make money. Never bothered with it myself though. Probably went straight onto the Check It Out Later list and stayed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I liked Detroit, a quick look on letterboxd and I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Threads 1984 BBC movie

Id read bits about it and finally watched it. It’s a brutal depiction of what a nuclear fallout might look like if Russia and the US decided to goto war. It’s set in Sheffield and I think it’s really well done.

Acting is really top notch with none of the modern drama, seems like a dirty ,gritty and more real life narration then the OTT stuff we are used to today. In many regards it doesn’t seem like people are acting.

I really loved the buildup to the event as it starts to ramp up the tension. Nobody takes it seriously at first and then it starts to get real as the authorities have their own plans in place , but keeping a “don’t cause panic” stance for awhile.

I need to watch a comedy or something, it’s just gets more and more brutal as it goes on so I’d suggest people don’t expect any let up and you won’t be surprised.

I am reluctant to call it superb because it’s really unsettling but in many ways it was. Just don’t watch it if you want a relaxing night tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Scanner Cop (1994)

Scanners one of the Sci fi / horror GOATs but this direct to video spin off is not. It's about a scanner that is taken in by a cop and grows up to become a cop. A nefarious male and female double act begin brain washing people to attack and kill police officers so it's down to scanner cop to save the day. Apparently this had not gotten released outside of VHS until those fine folk at Vinegar Syndrome gave it and its sequel a shiny 4k release a little while back. Pure shite but it had an exploding head so ya know, 4/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭monkeyactive

Nope

Jordan Peeles latest.

I enjoyed it the most out of the trio of Nope , "Get me out" and "Us".

Great balance between his idiosyncratic arthouse style and just a ruddy good old sci-fi/horror. This is closer to a conventional film than US. Sit back and enjoy and dont ask too many questions. Some good themes dug into , particularly stuff around animals and animal nature.

8/10

Kung Fu Hustle (2004)

I sure wasn't expecting an, ahemfull-blooded Shining reference in this goofball live-action cartoon.

Would "better" FX have improved or worsened the whole experience? I kept wondering this throughout the otherwise proudly, energetically silly adventure that asked "what if Looney Toons - but with Kung Fu?". The movie came out in that early era of CGI; the early 2000s when yes, it could be good - even convincing in places - but required the time and money 90% of productions simply didn't have access to. Nowadays though, even films with relatively middling budgets can put their hands on solid computer-generated effects. Good luck spotting a live wild animal in any modern production, for instance; all those bears and Metaphor Delivery Icons (aka, Deers) are often ones and zeroes. 

All that said, "better" FX wouldn't have made this a better experience; in many respects, all those rubbery, obvious digital moments replacing actors or scenery during fight scenes worked in the film's favour - especially its tone. I never scoffed at how a digital stunt double had aged like milk, not once. The unreality of the CGI only worked in tandem with the rest of the cogs happily turning away. I just giggled to myself and enjoyed how confidently daft it all was. A cartoon movie has cartoon effects.

Watching this was also a reaffirmation at just how bland and flavourless American blockbuster cinema has become; that as fashionable as it is to dump on the MCU - a series about ostensible superpowers and optional physics - the franchise has never once showed the kind of flourish and imagination Kung-Fu Hustle swaggered around with. Indeed, comparing the obvious closest cousin in Shang-Chi, the newer, more expensive film just seemed so much more rote than Stephen Chow's older creature. The more modern CGI drawing attention to the joins, rather than inviting us to embrace the silliness.

*some spoilers*

'Top Gun Maverick'

A kinda clumsily named sequel to 1986's 'Top Gun' which has done gang busters at the box office ends up being a hell of a lot more entertaining than the Tony Scott helmed effort, talked about here -> https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119179062/#Comment_119179062

The US Navy pilots are still all insufferable gits and high on their own fumes, but this time Tom Cruise's "Maverick" presents as a grown up figure and wiser with a bit of age, which we must assume is 50 something, if not Cruise's real age of 60? "Maverick" (still just a Captain!) has been called in by Admiral Tom "Iceman" Kazansky (Val Kilmer) to whip these gits into shape for an upcoming mission in some obscure, unnamed, "rogue state" because they're operating a uranium enrichment plant and it, ahem,"needs" to be taken out.

Once again, though, the drama on the ground is defeated squarely by what takes place in the air and the movie slows way down when everyone is out of the cockpit. But when airborne in their F-18's everything goes up several notches. The Top Gun schooling that "Maverick" dishes out to the younger pilots is amusing and it's funny to see all their bubbles get burst by the "old timer", resulting in a lot of punishment pushups on the deck.

Also on the ground, unfortunately, is the forced romance between "Maverick" and Jennifer Connolly's Penny and it's a thundering bore, even if it comes off as far superior to the dreadful nonsense that was the "romance" between Cruise and Kelly McGillis in 'Top Gun'. Connolly is fine, as she usually is, but it's all just so unnecessary in a movie that simply doesn't need it.

The aerial mission at the centre of the story is, of course, absolute baloney and the bad guys are just cyphers to be blown out of the sky, rather like the original 1986 movie. But the entertainment comes in the form of genuinely spectacular aerial sequences, which trump the original's by a wide margin. In fact the whole 2022 movie improves on the original in every way possible, even if it still just boils down to a masturbatory flex of American military power at the end of the day. And the viewer really has to hold their tongue at the idea that a (nearly) 60 year old pilot can pull G's that knock out fitter men more than half his age. Into the bargain, the bad guys just happen to have a fully armed, fuelled and flyable F-14 knocking around, so a ridiculous callback to the original movie can be exercised at the movie's climax.

All told 'Top Gun Maverick' is a decent follow up to 'Top Gun' and, in fact, ends up being one of the better sequels I've seen which is a small list indeed. It's still just a load of hokey nonsense, though, but one that provides a decent level of air action spectacle to fill the screen when we're not bored by the scenes on land.

6/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭gucci

On Williams, we watched Awakenings (1990) last night with Robin Williams and Robert De Niro:

About a doctor who experiments with medication to try and help people with severely chronic catatonic patients, which gives them brief spells of Awakening.

I rolled into this not really expecting much, but both leads give great performances. As referenced above, genuine real acting, where its not about the words they are using, but the expression of feeling, particularly Williams, is quite splendid. For a movie made in 1990 its doesnt quite feel dated, or cliche, or hammed up given the subject and story. Williams really comes across as genuinely living the role.

Advertisement