Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 22nd - Frampton v Warrington & Whyte v Chisora

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Whyte KO/TKO
    Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    I'm with Walshb on the Conlon debate, once a fighter comes home from the US I always have doubts about them, were they found out in tough gyms, did the promoter or trainer rate them, were they living the life?

Definitely the opposite. It's a case of the fighters not rating the trainer.

The fact that his four best fighters in Conlan, Quigley, Valdez and Magdaleno all left Robles in the same year would be no coincidence. Never rated Robles personally. Mick is on record saying he went off his dad's instructions over what Robles was telling him in his last fight with him. Clear Robles just wasn't up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Warrington Points
    Morrison J wrote: »
    Some valid points in there for sure but lets be honest he only joined MTK in 2017. If the Irish public didn't recognise Frampton when winning world titles under the McGuigan's then they were never interested in the first place.

It's all about where he's from. If he was a Dub he'd have been a superstar.

Fair point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PLOPS

Draw
    Really? To the entire post hahah

Any thing you'd like to expand on? Mckenna hasn't looked a good prospect? MC looked elite level in his pro campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

Chisora KO/TKO
    PLOPS wrote: »
    Any thing you'd like to expand on? Mckenna hasn't looked a good prospect? MC looked elite level in his pro campaign?

As stated your entire post.

Draw
    As stated your entire post.

Sorry to inquire what your exact problem was with what I had said. So you are saying MC and Quigley have looked outstanding in their pro career. Also Aaron Mckenna has looked dreadful, is that what you're saying? Must be tough to be so incapable of composing a reply. Clown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

Chisora KO/TKO
    Sorry to inquire what your exact problem was with what I had said. So you are saying MC and Quigley have looked outstanding in their pro career. Also Aaron Mckenna has looked dreadful, is that what you're saying? Must be tough to be so incapable of composing a reply. Clown

Casual.

Draw
    Casual.

Hilarious, can't even respond with an alternative view. Or even explain were you differ in opinion. If you can tell me one performance when MC or Quigley have looked like they are elite I'd be delighted, neither have fought top opposition, maybe Quigley has one or two decent opponents but no world class as yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Warrington Points
    Hilarious, can't even respond with an alternative view. Or even explain were you differ in opinion. If you can tell me one performance when MC or Quigley have looked like they are elite I'd be delighted, neither have fought top opposition, maybe Quigley has one or two decent opponents but no world class as yet.

Bubblegummers seems to be one of these OTT fans of certain boxers, who kind of take it a bit too personally when said boxers come under any perceived kind of criticism, during assessment/analysis.

Draw
    If he made an argument to why I was wrong I'd have no issue. But to just refer to me as a 'casual' grinded my gears. I know youve said in previous threads that Quigley hadnt blown you away, and I agree. I think you said that when he fought Tapia.

I have pretty much every boxing thread for the past 10 years on boards and this is my second account. I'm Far from a casual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Frampton KO/TKO
    The term casual pisses me off. It’s screams deluded self elevation and arrogance. How many world champions have you ever heard use the term? I follow football, never played in the premier league but no one dismisses my argument on that basis. I’ve loved watching boxing for years. I have my favorites and make predictions that often come true. I like debating points and sometimes I’m wrong, so! The casual card is thrown about usually when someone doesn’t have anything of value to contribute.

• Advertisement

Warrington Points
    People said I know nothing about judging - judged over 1000 official amateur fights...

Warrington Points
    squinn2912 wrote: »
    The term casual pisses me off. It’s screams deluded self elevation and arrogance. How many world champions have you ever heard use the term? I follow football, never played in the premier league but no one dismisses my argument on that basis. I’ve loved watching boxing for years. I have my favorites and make predictions that often come true. I like debating points and sometimes I’m wrong, so! The casual card is thrown about usually when someone doesn’t have anything of value to contribute.

Everyones welcome, until you dis their fave fighter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Frampton KO/TKO
    To be honest I thought Warrington was all wrong for Frampton in the build up to this fight, so i was not at all surprised by the outcome. Had they met 18 months ago i think Frampton would have won this fight, but it's clear he has been on the wane for a while now

Warrington Points
    To be honest I thought Warrington was all wrong for Frampton in the build up to this fight, so i was not at all surprised by the outcome. Had they met 18 months ago i think Frampton would have won this fight, but it's clear he has been on the wane for a while now

I still thought that Carl would find a way to win, albeit in a close fight....

Josh was simply too much....

Carl's feet and defense let him down more than usual I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Frampton KO/TKO
    walshb wrote: »
    I still thought that Carl would find a way to win, albeit in a close fight....

Josh was simply too much....

Carl's feet and defense let him down more than usual I thought.

I agree. I don’t think he expected Warringtons energy. Very hard to counter due to sheer volume of punches raining down. Getting a W against LSC is the highlight for him and abrilliant achievement, maybe overachieved doing that

Warrington Points
    squinn2912 wrote: »
    I agree. I don’t think he expected Warringtons energy. Very hard to counter due to sheer volume of punches raining down.

Yes, didn't have the counter-punching skills (which encompasses a solid enough D as well as offense off the D, ala JMM/Duran/Toney type countering) and more importantly, the power to beat this or slow it down. Josh was never really hurt or discouraged from letting loads of shots go in the exchanges. Carl needed to hurt him, or at least make him think hard about volume. He couldn't do this....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Frampton KO/TKO
    [QUOTE=walshb;108978525. Carl needed to hurt him, or at least make him think hard about volume. He couldn't do this....[/QUOTE]

The latter was one of the surprising aspect to me, also Frampton's admission that Warrington hurt him. However, as i said, i thought Warrington's style was all wrong for Carl. To be honest he has not been the same since he first fought Santa Cruz. I think that version of him would have found way to beat Warrington.

Warrington Points
    Yes, the Frampton that beat LSC was that bit sharper and cleaner and better..

Think that version could have beaten Josh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Whyte KO/TKO
    Frampton has come out and said he fought with a dead leg. Makes some sense to be fair given how poor his legs were all fight. Sounds like he may well fight on.

Warrington Points
    walshb wrote: »
    I find it very difficult to warm to Barnes and Conlan...can’t put my finger on it..

Wayne, Carl, Dave, Barry.....there’s a warmth from them..

Pair of mouthy lads that's why

• Advertisement
Advertisement