Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to get a house alarm

• 17-12-2018 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭

Next door neighbour got broken into last week so we're getting a house alarm stat!

Any recommendations for who'd be good to install one? Rough price?

Also, am I being realistic about getting it installed this week?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Depends on the spec you want i used Cliffords a wireless monitored system with fobs was about 1600

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

For peace of mind, it's one of the best things you'll do. Regarding your neighbour, can I ask if he has an alarm? I remember reading a while back that 90% of burglaries are to properties without alarms.

Also when you get it installed, get it monitored and always turn it on, day or night. You'd be surprised the number of people who never use their alarm.

One more thing, get a dummy external bell box. They're a good advertisement to show the scrotes that you have an alarm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I'd recommend T&K alarms,

Dont bother with dummy boxes, even if you have an alarm, they will still test it by throwing a small ball or similar at a window to see if it's armed / turned on, if it's armed & they set it off they will wait to see if you turn off & reset it, throw the ball again to test a couple of times, if you get pissed off & don't reset, that's their opportunity.

If your alarm goes off , ALWAYS reset it but get an alarm installed anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'd recommend T&K alarms,

Dont bother with dummy boxes, even if you have an alarm, they will still test it by throwing a small ball or similar at a window to see if it's armed / turned on, if it's armed & they set it off they will wait to see if you turn off & reset it, throw the ball again to test a couple of times, if you get pissed off & don't reset, that's their opportunity.

If your alarm goes off , ALWAYS reset it but get an alarm installed anyway.

Sometimes an alarm will go off after resetting due to a faulty sensor, i know because it happens on our monitored alarm. You end up not resetting because it keeps going off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

For peace of mind, it's one of the best things you'll do. Regarding your neighbour, can I ask if he has an alarm? I remember reading a while back that 90% of burglaries are to properties without alarms.

Also when you get it installed, get it monitored and always turn it on, day or night. You'd be surprised the number of people who never use their alarm.

One more thing, get a dummy external bell box. They're a good advertisement to show the scrotes that you have an alarm.

You're right, he doesn't. We're two of a small few houses on our street that don't have alarms.

Cheers for the advice, appreciate it. Not too familiar with sensors etc., window sensors sound like they're a hassle so if they can be set off by a ball hitting off it.

Speaking to the gardai that arrived out to the neighbours (I actually heard them in his house and thought it was him shouting up to his housemate, he had arrived home and they were shouting at each other to scarper) they also said outside sensor lights and a camera fixed to the outside wall in a visible place is a good deterrent too

• Advertisement

Any price range for just an alarm that picks up on people in the house? Not sure I want something that can be set off from the outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Any price range for just an alarm that picks up on people in the house? Not sure I want something that can be set off from the outside

You can get internal sensors but you really need window and door sensors.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

The only time your alarm will be set off from the outside is when its turned on. You turn it on when you leave the house or when you go to bed. In both those instances, you want your alarm to sound when something from outside sets it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

This is pointless, as when they are inside the damage is already done.

Only way to go is inertia and contact sensors on the house windows and doors. A text alert and App are worth their weight in gold too to remotely arm or disarm sections while out of the house. It's worth spending extra for piece of mind as it's your most important asset.

I'd recommend T&K alarms, mine has been working fine apart from the external bell which had to be reset a few weeks after initial installation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Irish_rat wrote:
    I'd recommend T&K alarms, mine has been working fine apart from the external bell which had to be reset a few weeks after initial installation.

kilburn wrote:
    You can get internal sensors but you really need window and door sensors.

Do you pay an annual service charge as well as the initial installation fee?
    A simple anti-theft precaution is to lock all the internal doors before leaving the house.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Sometimes an alarm will go off after resetting due to a faulty sensor, i know because it happens on our monitored alarm. You end up not resetting because it keeps going off.

True, sometimes sensors go faulty but I can absolutely garrantee you that burglars/opportunist thieves will not just disregard your home as a target because you have an alarm, they can easily test it from a distance to see if it's armed & whether you re-arm it at 3am after it goes off

At an absolute minimum, all downstairs external doors & windows should be protected, I'd also advise front & rear LED security lights, leave on all night if you wish, cost practically nothing to run.

I wouldn't advise locking internal doors, it's a safety hazard in the event of fire, plus replacing them after a burglar has kicked them all in could be expensive.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Do you pay an annual service charge as well as the initial installation fee?
    A simple anti-theft precaution is to lock all the internal doors before leaving the house.

Simple? In my house that is 9 doors before I include the 3 external doors. Its a basic semi in an estate. I'd rather be robbed blind than suffer that every time I leave the house.

Some good suggestions from members about alarms here OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Simple? In my house that is 9 doors before I include the 3 external doors. Its a basic semi in an estate. I'd rather be robbed blind than suffer that every time I leave the house.

A domestic alarm is no real deterrent to a determined thief. They are also unreliable and can be triggered by many factors other than the presence of intruders.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Smacs89

We got ours from Westside Security, price afaik was around the €500 mark if my memory serves me right. Called them up to enquire and had it installed within 2 days.

Cheers for all the advice - the house is pre-wired for sensors in hall/kitchen/sitting room/upstairs landing. We're going with T&K as they can install tomorrow for us and are reasonable pricewise compared to others we rang.

Will get sidedoor, patio door and sitting room windows done for wireless and a GSM to alert/remotely set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Great.

I wonder whats the approx. quote they have provided? And are you getting Led security lights also?
    Cheers for all the advice - the house is pre-wired for sensors in hall/kitchen/sitting room/upstairs landing. We're going with T&K as they can install tomorrow for us and are reasonable pricewise compared to others we rang.

Will get sidedoor, patio door and sitting room windows done for wireless and a GSM to alert/remotely set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

cant go wrong with & T & K, have theirs installed in mine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

BobMc wrote: »
    cant go wrong with & T & K, have theirs installed in mine too.

I'd have to second t&k. My quote was nearly half of Clifford's. Clifford's gave me all the problems with my house installation and t&k answered every problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

https://www.homesecure.ie/ they have some engineers based in Limerick

monitoring is provided by Chubb afaik

Not comfortable quoting exact prices online but we got Alarm, Sensors, 6 x wireless thingys for downstairs doors/windows and GSM for considerably less than what we'd have paid with Cliffords, couple hundred. Very nice lads to deal with too.

They don't provide security lights, just cameras. Which we'll add another time ourselves along with sensor lights - there's sparky's in the family!

Cheers for the advice, has been on our list all year but never got around to it til the unfortunate neighbour got burgled. Mad to think in all my years in different houses this is the first one with an alarm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 4 leaf clover

Smacs89 wrote: »
    We got ours from Westside Security, price afaik was around the €500 mark if my memory serves me right. Called them up to enquire and had it installed within 2 days.

agree with westside

West Side security vs T&K alarms, which one is better?

Did anyone get front & rear cameras installed? Getting quote for 550e.

Did anyone get front & rear cameras installed? Getting quote for 550e.

From who?

Homesecure
    From who?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Johntwo22

Next door neighbour got broken into last week so we're getting a house alarm stat!

Any recommendations for who'd be good to install one? Rough price?

Also, am I being realistic about getting it installed this week?

Hi Just wonderful if you went with T&K as I’m having mine upgraded and have gotten a quote from them. Good price, how was the workmanship and product quality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Had T&K around recently to upgrade ours. Much more reasonable than Cliffords and very pleasant guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Anyone use Feale Security?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Giggsy19

Had T&K around recently to upgrade ours. Much more reasonable than Cliffords and very pleasant guy.

+1for T&K. Did our house...nice people to deal with, know there stuff and reasonably priced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭dorito92

Mc Love wrote: »
    Anyone use Feale Security?

Yes couldn't praise them enough, great service! Just what we needed for a semi-d.

Advertisement