Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i upgrade?

Options
  • 17-12-2018 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

hi i have a hp p6061uk Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q8200 (4M Cache, 2.33 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB), Intel G33, 4GB DDR2, 1TB SATA HDD, AMD Radeon HD 4650 1GB, DVD Super Multi DL, Fast LAN, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit , its old and slow,is there anything i could do to upgrade this?would it be worth putting in a ssd ,increase ram and put windows 10 on it?or is it too old to be worth doing,thanks in advance for replies!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

An SSD and some more RAM would be cheap enough upgrades, along with a fresh install of windows 10, this should speed up general usage a fair bit, it's a lost cause for gaming however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Depends what you're using it for?. Probably not worth spending money on it tbh better off saving up and getting a decent system 2nd hand. In saying that an ssd and fresh install would likely speed it up and the ssd can always be used in a new system down the line. But processor upgrades are minimal on that socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You can probably get another 4gb of RAM for < €10, an SSD can be re-used in the future, so the net cost of giving this a go is pretty much feck all, and I am pretty sure you would see decent results on a day to day usage basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tjspock

thanks for the replies,it would be used only for day to day use,no interest in gaming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would say a 120GB SSD for €25 odd and a fresh install of Win10 would do wonders, limited and all as the machine is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Silent HD 4670

Would get rid of tiny fan noise.

Alternatively, A HD4870 for €7

OR just leave as-is.

Advertisement