Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tried to rebuild a Win8 PC - accidentally deleted the partition

Options
  • 18-12-2018 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,
    Made a big boo boo that I hope some kind person can help me with.
    I've a Win8.1 HP PC that was starting to take ages to open Word/Excel (up to 20 minutes), and with a bit of spare time, I decided to reset it to factory settings (inc wiping files/programmes etc)

But, when I followed the instructions, it would not complete the process as some files were missing. As I had the install DVD, I decided rebuild by booting into the disc. But, no joy. I received a notification that the partition was a GPT formatted drive, so I couldn't install Windows. Google told me to boot to UEFI mode and install. I was then offered 4 partitions to install to, but it would still not allow me to install. Nor could I extend any of the partitions or create a new one.
    Then, and I really don't know why I did this, I deleted the main partition where the OEM Win8 install was.

So, now I can't boot into an operating system at all - because there is nothing there.

I have access to the same Win8 PC (my bro & I got one each about five years ago), is there anyway I could create a rescue disc from his machine?

I've plenty of experience rebuilding Win7 and WinXP machines (even Win3.11), but it appears this was a step too far. Not helped by being under the weather. Should have left well alone, I know!! An uninstall of Office might have been enough. And any unwanted programmes.

Any thoughts, or am I fubar'd? It's not even going to make a useful doorstop -as it's just too light!

Murty

Comments

Advertisement