Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can anyone recommend a nice place for lunch?

Options
  • 18-12-2018 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi, bringing the wife to Carlingford on Saturday and I'm looking for some tips on where to stop for lunch on the way. Driving from Dublin and dont mind a detour for the right place.
    All recommendations appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

It very much depends on the time of day you are going. Alot of the Hotels, Restaurants etc dont do lunches this time of year as its off season. Are you looking for a lunch menu or a dinner menu?

Hotels:

The Carlingford Arms
    4 Seasons Hotel

Bars/Gastro

John Longs Bar
    PJ's Bar - Good food here

Restaurants:

McGees
    The bay Tree - One of, if not the best food in Carlingford

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Monasterboice Inn on the way up You won't get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭PGE1970

TCM wrote: »

The Valley Inn, Mullary (5 mins past the Monasterboice Inn).

You will get better and cheaper!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

TCM wrote: »
    I'm always amazed to hear these kind of reviews about this place. I visited it a few years ago after hearing similar reviews and ended up refusing to pay after we'd sent our food back twice. Maybe I got them on a bad day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Scotty # wrote: »
    I'm always amazed to hear these kind of reviews about this place. I visited it a few years ago after hearing similar reviews and ended up refusing to pay after we'd sent our food back twice. Maybe I got them on a bad day?

Same here. It's seems very over rated.

OP, how far are you driving? From Dublin? In 45 minutes from the airport you'll be past Dundalk. Why not just go straight to Carlingford, where there's plenty of good places to eat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Wildwood cafe Carlingford.

Not the usual, fantastic food, and hilltop view.
    Cant go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭pcasso

Fitzpatricks, which is five minutes off the M1 on the way to Carlingford, recently reopened and had a decent reputation for its food with a Johnny Fox's vibe if you are familiar with that pub in the Wicklow mountains.
    Strandfield house, which is just off the M1 on the turnoff for Carlingford is not too dissimilar to what Avoca Cafe would have been like ten years ago and while not fancy surroundings the food is excellent.
    In Carlingford itself the best place in town is the Baytree restaurant and Ghan House hotel though I don't think Ghan House do lunch.
    McKevitts hotel, also known as the Village hotel and PJ O Hares does decent Pub grub.
    Ruby Ellens, is a bit quirky but the food is decent.
    Wildwood cafe has a fantastic location overlooking Carlingford Lough and the food has a healthy slant but still very nice.
    The carrot cake there is as good as it gets

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ms34

thanks for all the suggestions folks. we have been in Carlingford quite a few times and have eaten in most of the places mentioned in the town. We're eating dinner in fishy dishy so i thought itd be nice to get lunch on the way up rather than in town. im slowly working my way through the suggestions and taking the detour time and the menu into account before deciding. ill report back ...
    thanks again

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Strandfield @ the Ballymascanlon roundabout.

http://strandfield.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Strandfield @ the Ballymascanlon roundabout.

http://strandfield.com/

No hot food/meat dishes IIRC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

slipperyox wrote: »

Plenty of hot dishes. It's a vegetarian spot; perfect for lunch imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

slipperyox wrote: »

Hot yes, but vegetarian and very limited for my tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

The Glyde Inn in Annagassan is excellent.
    5*'s/5 from me.

Scotty # wrote: »

I know it had a great word of mouth reputation for a long long time, talking the first time I was there about 20 years ago, and all through the years, no idea who has run it over the years or what changed but last time I was there was 2 or 3 three years ago they gave us a filthy baby chair and luke warm food. We left without eating or paying never to return. I haven't heard anything since to convince me to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Have been there 3/4 times in the last two years as the in laws and my own parents wanted to go. Incredibly busy any weekend we were there! Food was good, service was good. Only complaint is that it’s so busy with families and kids etc that the noise was unbearable the last time I went. Will try the Valley In for sure as an alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ms34

Just a follow up for those who might be interested.
    Didn't get to go away before Xmas in the end but finally made it up a week ago.

We did lunch in Strandfield House. Seemed the easiest option because of its location. It was good but my god the place was packed and as a result wasn't the most relaxing.
    Dinner in Fishy Dishy though was A1. I'd definitely eat there again.
    Thanks again for all the input

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

ms34 wrote: »
    Just a follow up for those who might be interested.
    Didn't get to go away before Xmas in the end but finally made it up a week ago.

We did lunch in Strandfield House. Seemed the easiest option because of its location. It was good but my god the place was packed and as a result wasn't the most relaxing.
    Dinner in Fishy Dishy though was A1. I'd definitely eat there again.
    Thanks again for all the input

Fishy Dishy is lovely.
    Dermot and Gillian run a good ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭youcantakethat

pcasso wrote: »
    Wildwood cafe has a fantastic location overlooking Carlingford Lough and the food has a healthy slant but still very nice.
    The carrot cake there is as good as it gets
    +1. Their Nori cakes and cauli bangbang is lovely too.

Advertisement